Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Here is basically the reality on G5 coaches moving up
Bookmark and Share
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
Here is basically the reality on G5 coaches moving up
There are approximately 65 P5 programs and I ll throw in 12 AAC programs — that s roughly 77 jobs. Any G5 coach in the Belt/MAC or CUSA and almost all of the MWC who is offered 1 of these 77 jobs will take it in almost every case.

At the G5 level the AAC is probably in the 1 mil to 1.8 mil range so other G5 coaches will move there— ie Fritz to Tulane. The range of Belt/MAC/CUSA coaches is probably 500K-1 mil.

Just financial reality. Belt schools just can t compete with P5 money or even AAC money
12-03-2018 07:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

lnlogauge Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
RE: Here is basically the reality on G5 coaches moving up
(12-03-2018 07:28 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  There are approximately 65 P5 programs and I ll throw in 12 AAC programs — that s roughly 77 jobs. Any G5 coach in the Belt/MAC or CUSA and almost all of the MWC who is offered 1 of these 77 jobs will take it in almost every case.

At the G5 level the AAC is probably in the 1 mil to 1.8 mil range so other G5 coaches will move there— ie Fritz to Tulane. The range of Belt/MAC/CUSA coaches is probably 500K-1 mil.

Just financial reality. Belt schools just can t compete with P5 money or even AAC money

You couldn't have put this in one of the other 6 coaching threads you started?
12-03-2018 07:38 PM
joshdude182 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
(12-03-2018 07:28 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  There are approximately 65 P5 programs and I ll throw in 12 AAC programs — that s roughly 77 jobs. Any G5 coach in the Belt/MAC or CUSA and almost all of the MWC who is offered 1 of these 77 jobs will take it in almost every case.

Well UNT pays Littrell 1.4 mil and UAB just upped Bill Clark to 1.45 mil, so I don't think this range is entirely accurate. For the MAC you're probably right though. I think most of their coaches are in the 500k range.
12-04-2018 10:42 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Salaries are going up in the G5 level because schools are realizing the boost in attention they get with a winning program. So G5 schools are now wanting to keep those coaches longer and are paying to do so. Yes, Bill Clark just went to 1.45mil to stay at UAb, yes, that UAb that just restarting football after deciding they didn’t want football anymore. There is value in being successful on saturdays and getting attention for you school, it’s an arm of the marketing department.

I expect more successful coaches in the G5 to get nice raises, makes it harder for them to want to leave to go to an historicallly bad P5 school and make 2mil, when you can win conference titles at the G5 school and make 1.5mil. Wait for that really good paycheck at a higher level P5.
12-04-2018 11:07 AM
NewJersey GATA Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA Southern
(12-03-2018 07:38 PM)lnlogauge Wrote:  

You couldn't have put this in one of the other 6 coaching threads you started?

Hmmmmmmm........... 07-coffee3
12-04-2018 11:09 AM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
I believe most of our schools have the ability to pay at or over $1 million for a coach... I just believe there is reluctance to do so when all you've had to pay is $400K-$600K in the past.

In 2014, Louisiana came out of nowhere and was paying Hudspeth almost $1 million. They were paying Rickey Bustle less than $400K before Hudspeth got there.

Even Troy in 2014 was paying Larry Blakeney only $480K. Then Neal Brown comes in and Troy is paying $810K (over $1 million if you include incentives). Plus Troy started shelling out cash for assistant coaches and now has the highest paid assistants in the Sun Belt.

If the Sun Belt keeps finishing in the Top 3 of the G5 conference rankings every year, that'll help even more when it comes to salaries. Each one of our schools will make more money than the MAC, CUSA, and MWC from the CFP payout simply because we only split it between 10 teams.
12-04-2018 11:59 AM
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(12-04-2018 11:59 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  Even Troy in 2014 was paying Larry Blakeney only $480K. Then Neal Brown comes in and Troy is paying $810K (over $1 million if you include incentives).

He was only getting a base of $660K out of the gate.
12-04-2018 12:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

(12-04-2018 12:28 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  
(12-04-2018 11:59 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  Even Troy in 2014 was paying Larry Blakeney only $480K. Then Neal Brown comes in and Troy is paying $810K (over $1 million if you include incentives).

He was only getting a base of $660K out of the gate.

Right, but he also wasn't a big named hire at the time, and Troy still paid nearly $200K more than Blakeney. When Brown started proving he could win big, Troy began upping the anty... wuldn't surprise me if Troy gives him another raise if we have a 10-win season.

Even when he was first hired, Troy was going to let him have he highest paid assistants in the Sun Belt.
12-04-2018 12:46 PM
SlickRick12 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ragin Cajuns
(12-04-2018 11:59 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  I believe most of our schools have the ability to pay at or over $1 million for a coach... I just believe there is reluctance to do so when all you've had to pay is $400K-$600K in the past.

In 2014, Louisiana came out of nowhere and was paying Hudspeth almost $1 million. They were paying Rickey Bustle less than $400K before Hudspeth got there.

Even Troy in 2014 was paying Larry Blakeney only $480K. Then Neal Brown comes in and Troy is paying $810K (over $1 million if you include incentives). Plus Troy started shelling out cash for assistant coaches and now has the highest paid assistants in the Sun Belt.

If the Sun Belt keeps finishing in the Top 3 of the G5 conference rankings every year, that'll help even more when it comes to salaries. Each one of our schools will make more money than the MAC, CUSA, and MWC from the CFP payout simply because we only split it between 10 teams.

Hud hired on at $350-400K range...he was given a raise to $1M to match an offer he received from TooLame after his first season.

Napier is making a base of approximately $850 and incentives to get to $1.4 (I don't have the details handy). His staff is making $2M, which I understand is only less than a couple of G5 schools. Maybe someone has the actual numbers.
12-04-2018 01:32 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

(12-04-2018 01:32 PM)SlickRick12 Wrote:  
(12-04-2018 11:59 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  I believe most of our schools have the ability to pay at or over $1 million for a coach... I just believe there is reluctance to do so when all you've had to pay is $400K-$600K in the past.

Hud hired on at $350-400K range...he was given a raise to $1M to match an offer he received from TooLame after his first season.

Napier is making a base of approximately $850 and incentives to get to $1.4 (I don't have the details handy). His staff is making $2M, which I understand is only less than a couple of G5 schools. Maybe someone has the actual numbers.

Per USA Today Napier is making $850,000 base with incentives up to $435,000. The assistant pool is $1,104,000.
12-04-2018 01:40 PM
CAJUNNATION Offline
1st String

I Root For: Western Civilization
(12-04-2018 01:40 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  
(12-04-2018 01:32 PM)SlickRick12 Wrote:  

Per USA Today Napier is making $850,000 base with incentives up to $435,000. The assistant pool is $1,104,000.

They're wrong.

The assistant pool is 2 mill.
12-04-2018 01:58 PM
Advertisement

CajunAmos Offline
All American

I Root For: Cajuns

Is the new coaching staff salaries posted somewhere? I know Koenning was the highest paid assistant from the old staff. Is that still the case? The Cajun 10 person staff right now is at $1.73M.
12-04-2018 02:30 PM
KJ Eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern

Some of our fans freaked out when we paid Lunsford $600K. Now, just a year later a lot of the same ones are saying we're idiots if we don't give him a raise. it's all relative.
12-04-2018 02:34 PM

(12-04-2018 02:30 PM)CajunAmos Wrote:  

Is the new coaching staff salaries posted somewhere? I know Koenning was the highest paid assistant from the old staff. Is that still the case? The Cajun 10 person staff right now is at $1.73M.

Last time I looked, Koenning's salary is still $270K.
12-04-2018 02:35 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

USA Today says it is up to date through 12/1/18 but it's not. I just checked the GS staff listed there and it's last year's coaches. Only HC appears to be updated.
12-04-2018 02:35 PM
CajunAmos Offline
All American

(12-04-2018 02:35 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  

The last one I could find for your staff was the 2017 listing which only showed 9 coaches and had a 3-4 under $100K. The total for the nine listed at that time was $1,233,300. I know Troy had staff changes since that time so was wondering if the numbers overall had changed.
12-04-2018 02:40 PM
Advertisement

ApexRedWolf Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Arkansas State
Bet we have the highest paid TE coach...03-puke
12-04-2018 03:51 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Not all P5>G5 jobs. Coaches have turned down a P5 job to stay at current G5 in the past. They stay with their winning program an extra year to wait for a mid level P5 job instead of taking that low level P5.
12-04-2018 05:05 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
If you analyze the budget of the top 30-40 programs you can justify their salaries based on the revenue you can trace to football.
Bottom of P5, the G5 sorry but the salary structure is BS.

Alabama is looking to protect a significant amount of revenue. Roughly $70 million in ticket sales and contributions and football is a big part of that.

G5's pay what they pay not because the football related revenue warrants it but because the salaries of the candidates they would like to hire are so high. Not a lot of people walking away from a million as a coordinator to be a head coach of $700,000.
12-05-2018 01:04 PM
CajunAmos Offline
All American

(12-04-2018 02:35 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  

Just wanted to update assistant coach salaries as someone on our board just posted the 2018 assistant coach salary list from USA today. I will say that Troy upped their salaries when Brown was hired, but they are not the highest paid assistant staff.

2018 NCAACF Assistant Coach Salaries
12-05-2018 04:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.