12-02-2018 06:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
RE: what is ACC doing
The ACC has a grand and rich tradition of screwing over teams in the postseason. I only hope Paul Johnson is completely unfiltered when asked about the bowl given that he is retiring. His players already are highly unfiltered on Twitter right now.

TL;DR: **** the ACC, **** the Belk Bowl in particular
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2018 06:57 PM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
12-02-2018 06:57 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
Seems more like the ACC could help these bowls in the future with tie-ins, not the other way around. Remember, ESPN agreed for the ACC as a primary tie-in to St. Pete, the game would be after Christmas.

I do think Tampa a mid week post Christmas game like Orlando did would be great. Just needs to get the sponsorship and ESPN wanting to do. Evan though the Pay Outs are not real, the perception still needs to be there it pays.
12-02-2018 07:14 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(12-02-2018 06:54 PM)templefootballfan Wrote:  ACC sends 3 7 win schools to 3 bowls they don't want
Detriot, Shrieveport & Dallas
ignore 2 bowls that could help them in future
Bir & Tampa

All 3 of those bowls are nice, particularly the history in Shreveport and at the Cotton Bowl. They just don’t make sense for an atlantic coastal conference.

Detroit bowl attendance has tanked since they ditched the MAC for the ACC.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2018 07:16 PM by IWokeUpLikeThis.)
12-02-2018 07:16 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
Sadly, bowls are now more about TV than what is easier or enjoyable for the fans. As much as GT wants to whine, they are getting a B10 opponent. Granted I do think Detroit is viewed as the dreaded tie-in much as Boise was when it was an ACC tie-in. As much as I hope Detroit is dropped by the ACC in the next cycle, I doubt it happens.
12-02-2018 07:29 PM
DustMyBroom Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(12-02-2018 06:54 PM)templefootballfan Wrote:  ACC sends 3 7 win schools to 3 bowls they don't want
Detriot, Shrieveport & Dallas
ignore 2 bowls that could help them in future
Bir & Tampa

The ACC didn’t have a choice concerning Tampa. This year, CUSA had the right to choose between Dallas and Tampa, but not both. CUSA choosing Tampa is what sent the ACC to Dallas. It wasn’t what the ACC wanted.
12-02-2018 07:46 PM
Advertisement

Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
(12-02-2018 06:57 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  The ACC has a grand and rich tradition of screwing over teams in the postseason. I only hope Paul Johnson is completely unfiltered when asked about the bowl given that he is retiring. His players already are highly unfiltered on Twitter right now.

TL;DR: **** the ACC, **** the Belk Bowl in particular

Lol. SC is playing there this year. Anything I need to know?

We’ve opened the season there 3 times recently, I agree, it’s pretty lame
12-02-2018 07:50 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
The ACC's bowl situation is a function of several things. First, they were arguably the weakest P5 conference this year. They have five teams that are small private schools with small fan bases who have no history of traveling well. They had 11 eligible teams, the most in FBS, all of which went somewhere, including all five of those small privates. They only had one team in the NY6, and their contract bowl (Orange) hosted a semifinal this year.

All in all, they did pretty well bowl-wise when you look at the big picture.
12-02-2018 08:50 PM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
your telling me, C-USA made the call over ACC & ESPN
i find that hard to believe
not only that C-USA needs Dallas to surive
along with B-12, AAC & SB

and yes thier some historical signifcance with Cotton Bowl & Independance bowl
right now Bir pays more money & building convention center & Tampa can be moved after Xmas
12-02-2018 08:52 PM
DustMyBroom Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(12-02-2018 08:52 PM)templefootballfan Wrote:  your telling me, C-USA made the call over ACC & ESPN
i find that hard to believe
not only that C-USA needs Dallas to surive
along with B-12, AAC & SB

and yes thier some historical signifcance with Cotton Bowl & Independance bowl
right now Bir pays more money & building convention center & Tampa can be moved after Xmas

The contract signed by the ACC, CUSA, and the two bowl committees put that decision in the hands of CUSA for this year, yes. ESPN could care less which city the ACC plays its bowl games in so long as they can maximize their revenues off the game.
12-02-2018 09:38 PM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
fine C-USA call, why didn't they pick Dallas
conf would make more money
12-02-2018 10:07 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(12-02-2018 08:50 PM)ken d Wrote:  The ACC's bowl situation is a function of several things. First, they were arguably the weakest P5 conference this year. They have five teams that are small private schools with small fan bases who have no history of traveling well. They had 11 eligible teams, the most in FBS, all of which went somewhere, including all five of those small privates. They only had one team in the NY6, and their contract bowl (Orange) hosted a semifinal this year.

Don't put all the small traveling fanbase blame on just the private schools. There's only four ACC schools that travel particularly well to begin with and two of them aren't bowl eligible.

The fact that the majority of our conference's schools don't travel well is the primary reason we have bowls in an open air baseball stadium in NYC, a third world country like Detroit, an interstate rest stop like Shreveport, and a conditional bid in the Birmingham ghetto.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2018 10:20 PM by Kaplony.)
12-02-2018 10:14 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(12-02-2018 10:14 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(12-02-2018 08:50 PM)ken d Wrote:  The ACC's bowl situation is a function of several things. First, they were arguably the weakest P5 conference this year. They have five teams that are small private schools with small fan bases who have no history of traveling well. They had 11 eligible teams, the most in FBS, all of which went somewhere, including all five of those small privates. They only had one team in the NY6, and their contract bowl (Orange) hosted a semifinal this year.

Don't put all the small traveling fanbase blame on just the private schools. There's only four ACC schools that travel particularly well to begin with and two of them aren't bowl eligible.

The fact that the majority of our conference's schools don't travel well is the primary reason we have bowls in an open air baseball stadium in NYC, a third world country like Detroit, an interstate rest stop like Shreveport, and a conditional bid in the Birmingham ghetto.

I wasn't putting the blame on the private schools. I was just pointing out what you said in your second sentence. This year, the majority of eligible teams are the ones who don't travel well, and not the ones who do. I suspect our bowl destinations are no more happy with us this year than we seem to be of them.
12-02-2018 11:09 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Vegas Odds has has Cincy/Memphis/Temple all favored over VT/Wake/Duke.
12-02-2018 11:15 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(12-02-2018 08:50 PM)ken d Wrote:  They had 11 eligible teams

This should be the whole point here.

This thread is complaining about the bowl bids received by the 9th, 10th, and 11th best teams in the ACC. It's only because of the explosion of minor bowls in the past 10 years that a team so far down its own conference's food chain could hope to be in any bowl game.
12-02-2018 11:47 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State

Perception is everything in college football. The fact is you have a conference that has five (the most in the P5) private schools who do NOT travel well and to make things even worse, you have other schools like the University of North Carolina, the University of Virginia and the Georgia Institute of Technology as well as the University of Pittsburgh which will not amount to much unless it’s basketball season and you have a conference lagging behind the Big XII and Pac-12 perception wise. For all the ills of those two conferences, I’m still BULLISH on those two and BEARISH on the ACC.
12-02-2018 11:49 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline

(12-02-2018 11:49 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  

Perception is everything in college football. The fact is you have a conference that has five (the most in the P5) private schools who do NOT travel well and to make things even worse, you have other schools like the University of North Carolina, the University of Virginia and the Georgia Institute of Technology as well as the University of Pittsburgh which will not amount to much unless it’s basketball season and you have a conference lagging behind the Big XII and Pac-12 perception wise. For all the ills of those two conferences, I’m still BULLISH on those two and BEARISH on the ACC.

Meh.

FSU was down this year, but I'm bullish on them returning to form sooner rather than later.

As long as FSU and Clemson do what they've always had to do and carry the conference the ACC is fine. It's no different than the Big XII with OU and Texas or the Pac 12 with USC.

I used to be salty at the rest of the ACC posters when they placed the blame for the ACC being in the situation it's currently in solely at the feet of FSU & Clemson but the past few years I've seen it to be true and have accepted the reality. Nobody other than those two schools has the ability nor the incentive to step up and be a player in football.
12-03-2018 12:04 AM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

(12-03-2018 12:04 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  

Meh.

FSU was down this year, but I'm bullish on them returning to form sooner rather than later.

As long as FSU and Clemson do what they've always had to do and carry the conference the ACC is fine. It's no different than the Big XII with OU and Texas or the Pac 12 with USC.

I used to be salty at the rest of the ACC posters when they placed the blame for the ACC being in the situation it's currently in solely at the feet of FSU & Clemson but the past few years I've seen it to be true and have accepted the reality. Nobody other than those two schools has the ability nor the incentive to step up and be a player in football.

The ACC has Clemson and Florida State (very questionable at this point but still) but you think you’re better from top to bottom with the Pac-12 and Big XII. Cool story, bro.
12-03-2018 12:08 AM
Kaplony Offline

(12-03-2018 12:08 AM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  

Meh.

The ACC has Clemson and Florida State (very questionable at this point but still) but you think you’re better from top to bottom with the Pac-12 and Big XII. Cool story, bro.

Top to bottom it's close between the ACC & PAC. The Big XII has less of a bottom because of four less teams.

But out of the three there's only one conference that's been in every single playoff, and only one that won a championship.
12-03-2018 12:25 AM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

(12-03-2018 12:25 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(12-03-2018 12:08 AM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  
(12-02-2018 10:14 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  Don't put all the small traveling fanbase blame on just the private schools. There's only four ACC schools that travel particularly well to begin with and two of them aren't bowl eligible.

Meh.

Top to bottom it's close between the ACC & PAC. The Big XII has less of a bottom because of four less teams.

But out of the three there's only one conference that's been in every single playoff, and only one that won a championship.

Cool story but still, Clemson is legit. The rest of the ACC is not. Other than that the Pac-12 and Big XII are better from top to bottom.
12-03-2018 12:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.