Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If UCF is denied a spot in the playoff......
Bookmark and Share
MadEagle Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
If UCF is denied a spot in the playoff......
We should all email our athletic directors and demand that our conference commissioners get together and sue for inclusion. If a "G5" team can win 25 straight games and we it affects us all!, gets left out of an opportunity to compete for a national championship its a travesty! And we need to stop taken it on freaking chin! And demand a change to the system!
12-02-2018 02:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GRBRONCO Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
RE: If UCF is denied a spot in the playoff......
If these P5 conferences keep getting left out (thanks Notre Dame!)the playoff will be expanded sooner rather than later. All we can hope is that G5 gets 1 autobid when it expands to 8, probably unlikely though. They'll do 5 P5 champions and best 3 at large.
12-02-2018 08:20 AM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
I agree it needs to be expanded. I don't think UCF deserves a top 4 spot this year as they really have not beaten a good team, but it should be expanded to 6 or 8 for sure
12-02-2018 08:44 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
I don't know if an 8 team playoff will help is all that is does is ensure Georgia, Ohio St and Oklahoma all make it every year.

Maybe once every couple of years an occasional Syracuse, Colorado or UCF play well enough to crack it but otherwise its going to be the same a teams. Then those 8 teams are going to need to win 3 games where it becomes a war of attrition and whomever has the least amount of injuries probably ends up on top.

Now if the 8 team playoff comes with a NY8 adding the Citrus and Gator bowls with the idea of giving the Top 2 rated G5 schools spots I'd think that would be a welcome addition that would put more on the line for the G5 conference title games.
12-02-2018 09:50 AM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
I think people are taking things the wrong way.

There's NOT REALLY Playoffs in college football. If there were, and UCF was left out, then sure, I agree.

Right now, there's Top 2 Bowls. That's it. Winners of those Top 2 bowls play for a National Championship.

It's no more "playoffs" than a last regular season game is part of "playoffs" between two rivals in a conference division to see who wins the division to play for the Conference Championship.

All we have are Two Bowls, where the winners play each other for the Big One.

UCF's SoS was not that good. They were a better team last year. The AAC is not the toughest G5 conference this year either (MW is better this year).

UCF wouldn't be ranked #8, but more like WMU was, around #13-15 walking into Saturday, if they were 7-5 the previous year. It'd be ridiculous to say UCF should be ranked in the Top 4.

That said though, three years in a row an undefeated team goes to a NY6 bowl and not a chance at a national championship because there are no Real playoffs. WMU lost to Wisconsin by 1 possession, and UCF won a barn burner against Auburn last year. UCF will probably lose without their starting QB going into this one (Memphis has no D btw; remember that).

But again, it brings to light the problem -- ACTUAL playoffs are more wanted every time we see an undefeated mid-major walk into bowl season.

8-team playoff likely wouldn't solve it. Again, if UCF was 7-5 last year, they certainly wouldn't be in the Top 8 this year, that's a no-brainer. Rarely is a G5 undefeated team going to be in the Top 8, because it'd have to happen more than 1 year in a row. Boise went from that level many years until they lost their HC, so now they're in the #20s every year, cracking into the teens.

We could have an 8-team playoff with the P5 Champs + Top G5 Champ as automatic bids, if they're ranked in the Top 16. Then the other 2 would be the few at-larges, where years like this one, Notre Dame would get in + someone like Georgia -- the best 2nd place team in their conference. So it Wouldn't be the Top 8 exactly, but it'd pretty much get the Top 6 in there every year.

Problem with this is: You'd reduce the NY6 "big ones" (12 teams) to NY4.

OR you could just take the NY6 bowls, and have those top two bowl teams have a bye, and have the other 8 teams have a first round to narrow it down to 4, then they play the top 2 bowl teams for the 2nd round. That would KEEP the # of "power teams" as they are, and just have them All play it out for a national championship.
12-02-2018 04:23 PM
george14 Offline
1st String

I Root For: CMU
I root for the G5 but UCF had a disgraceful schedule this year. They played no one and last year shouldn't matter for this year. Their schedule was similar to WMU's in 2016 where they killed it, but also played scrubs.
12-03-2018 09:31 AM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
If they expand it to 8 teams I'll consider it an actual playoff, particularly if there's an opening for a G5 team. Right now it isn't a playoff and I don't have much interest in it. UCF wasn't good enough this year though IMO. Still, you can only play the teams that are willing to play you.
12-03-2018 10:11 AM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(12-03-2018 10:11 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  If they expand it to 8 teams I'll consider it an actual playoff, particularly if there's an opening for a G5 team.

Nothing less merits any of us watching.
12-03-2018 12:28 PM
OUVan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ohio Bobcats
(12-03-2018 10:11 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  If they expand it to 8 teams I'll consider it an actual playoff, particularly if there's an opening for a G5 team. Right now it isn't a playoff and I don't have much interest in it. UCF wasn't good enough this year though IMO. Still, you can only play the teams that are willing to play you.

Expanding to 8 does nothing. As someone mentioned that would just mean the Big 10, SEC and Big 12 would get two teams each and Notre Dame and a PAC 12 team would get one. They need to do a minimum of 12 teams but I would expand it to 16. Include every conference champion and then the rest would go to the best P5 teams that lost out. Right now there are 64 teams in FBS that can't win the NCAA championship no matter what they do as UCF proved last year. I haven't watched a "playoff" game yet and I won't be watching until everyone is included. Every other level of football manages to pull it off, no excuse for D1 not to be able to.
12-03-2018 02:17 PM
Schadenfreude Offline

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(12-03-2018 02:17 PM)OUVan Wrote:  Expanding to 8 does nothing. As someone mentioned that would just mean the Big 10, SEC and Big 12 would get two teams each and Notre Dame and a PAC 12 team would get one. They need to do a minimum of 12 teams but I would expand it to 16. Include every conference champion and then the rest would go to the best P5 teams that lost out.

This would be best, yes. All the other sports do something like this. Division II does it in football. Division III does it in football. FCS does it.

I'm just not sure we will realistically be able to go from four to 16 in one shot.
12-03-2018 03:45 PM
FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
Only 4 schools out of 129 make the playoffs !!
Usually the same cast of characters (Bama,osu,Clemson, fill in the blank).
The Golden Rule of CFB = The schools with all the gold make all the rules ... 03-banghead
12-03-2018 04:31 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

(12-03-2018 04:31 PM)FMRocket Wrote:  Only 4 schools out of 129 make the playoffs !!
Usually the same cast of characters (Bama,osu,Clemson, fill in the blank).
The Golden Rule of CFB = The schools with all the gold make all the rules ... 03-banghead

I've used the analogy that it works out to 3.1% of teams in the "playoffs". If the NFL did that the playoffs would consist of 1 team (if you round up).
12-03-2018 05:09 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:They need to do a minimum of 12 teams but I would expand it to 16.

Realistically, that's not going to happen. You know how hard it was just to get a Top Bowl to play for the National Championship? I believe they placed the next two in another BCS bowl... and then later by pressure made it so that the winners would instead play for the national championship. It's just the winners of the Top 2 NY6/BCS bowls bowls play for it all afterwards. Far Far away from 16 team playoff.

More feasible would be to take the current 12 teams in the NY6 and just make a playoff out of that. I like the 8-team idea, but the problem is, I really really doubt they'd give an auto-bid to the Top G5, even if requiring Top 16. When there were 10 teams in the BCS bowls, the Top G4 had to be ahead of a Top P6 conference team + ranked in the Top 16. Turning the current NY6 into a playoff, IMO, would ease everyone (but would be an extra week of playoffs vs 8-team).
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2018 08:15 PM by toddjnsn.)
12-03-2018 08:14 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
(12-03-2018 02:17 PM)OUVan Wrote:  
(12-03-2018 10:11 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  If they expand it to 8 teams I'll consider it an actual playoff, particularly if there's an opening for a G5 team. Right now it isn't a playoff and I don't have much interest in it. UCF wasn't good enough this year though IMO. Still, you can only play the teams that are willing to play you.

Expanding to 8 does nothing. As someone mentioned that would just mean the Big 10, SEC and Big 12 would get two teams each and Notre Dame and a PAC 12 team would get one. They need to do a minimum of 12 teams but I would expand it to 16. Include every conference champion and then the rest would go to the best P5 teams that lost out. Right now there are 64 teams in FBS that can't win the NCAA championship no matter what they do as UCF proved last year. I haven't watched a "playoff" game yet and I won't be watching until everyone is included. Every other level of football manages to pull it off, no excuse for D1 not to be able to.

This is the ideal scenario. 16 team playoff, each FBS conference champ is automatic, obviously the remaining "at large" magically go to P5 dandies.

UCF has a right to scrap for the title this year.

OUVan is correct, if the FCS can pull off a larger playoff platform, FBS has no excuses, other than the rub that enlarging it means including deserving good G5 teams, while some not-as-good P5 darlings suffer through a normal bowl scenario :)
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2018 02:53 PM by NIUfilmmaker.)
12-04-2018 02:51 PM
Big Redd Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU
Give me 12 teams with top 4 byes week 1. 6 G5/P5 champs and 6 at large. Byes needed in first round so G5 isn’t paired with #1. Nobody wants to see Alabama UCF slaughter every year. Now a first round UCF vs West Virginia or Washington sounds good.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2018 08:37 PM by Big Redd.)
12-04-2018 08:33 PM
Rocket_Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!
Every FBS program deserves an opportunity to play for a national title each season. To deny that to certain schools means you have created an unfair and unjust system...
12-04-2018 09:24 PM
Advertisement

The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(12-03-2018 09:31 AM)george14 Wrote:  I root for the G5 but UCF had a disgraceful schedule this year. They played no one and last year shouldn't matter for this year. Their schedule was similar to WMU's in 2016 where they killed it, but also played scrubs.

Yawn. 03-zzz

We slaughtered a team that played for the ACC title. Destroyed a Top 25 team. Beat a very good Memphis team, TWICE, that literally threw everything at us. Beat a very good Temple team that slaughtered Maryland. Beat down USF on their home turf; a USF team that beat both Georgia Techa nd Illinois.

Oh by the way, that same Pitt team that UCF could have beat 65-7 had Notre Dame pinned in the 4th quarter and only lost by 5.

It's also not our fault that FAU decided to fall on their face and not live up to expectations.
12-07-2018 08:58 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(12-07-2018 08:58 AM)The Knight Time Wrote:  
(12-03-2018 09:31 AM)george14 Wrote:  I root for the G5 but UCF had a disgraceful schedule this year. They played no one and last year shouldn't matter for this year. Their schedule was similar to WMU's in 2016 where they killed it, but also played scrubs.

Yawn. 03-zzz

We slaughtered a team that played for the ACC title. Destroyed a Top 25 team. Beat a very good Memphis team, TWICE, that literally threw everything at us. Beat a very good Temple team that slaughtered Maryland. Beat down USF on their home turf; a USF team that beat both Georgia Techa nd Illinois.

Oh by the way, that same Pitt team that UCF could have beat 65-7 had Notre Dame pinned in the 4th quarter and only lost by 5.

It's also not our fault that FAU decided to fall on their face and not live up to expectations.

You make good points, let me disect the argument...

Transitives are all over the place... connecting the dots isn't as important when you have final resumes to look at. Any boasting over Maryland is non sense... They were 5-7.

You slaughtered Pitt... Good win. They are 7-6. They won a division in an odd off year for the Coastal. Akron beat BIG10 West Champ Northwestern, that doesn't mean the Zips are good.

Memphis and Temple and UC are good wins. But in a league like the ACC, those wins don't compare to Syracuse, Miami U, Clemson, whoever you want to put in there with more depth and athlete's than top tier AAC teams. ***By the way our 3 loss MAC East Champ beat Temple. That's a good argument that most G5 leagues have teams that can compete with the top of the AAC. (UCF excluded probably).***

It's not UCFs fault that FAU isn't good... you are right. But the in-conference comparison to any P5 league is the pitfall. Total SOS by any metric puts UCF behind the 8 ball. Without Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Wisconsin etc. week after week after week, then paired with mid level P5 and G5 games OOC??? You just arent in the conversation for the national title.

I believe UCF would win a couple P5 divisions. But they'd probably resemble more of a Utah or Iowa State than Clemson or Alabama. Even if you are as good as Washington or Texas you are firmly out of this conversation for top 4. Even if UCF ran the table with Washington's schedule, THAT wouldn't be top 4 worthy. Auburn, Oregon, WAZZU and Utah are their best foes. It's certainly not better than Oklahomas wins. Clemson? Perhaps.

This brings me back to the main argument. The 4 teams in the playoff beat every single team they played. Oklahoma avenged it's loss... Take the 4 best wins of everyone...
Oklahoma: Iowa State, Texas, WVU, Oklahoma State/ Baylor.
Clemson: TAMU, Pitt, Syracuse, BC
Alabama: TAMU, LSU, Georgia, Miss State.
ND: Stanford, Syracuse, Pitt, Michigan
UCF: Memphis x2, UC, Pitt

Is it really that hard to figure out why UCF isn't in the top 4??

Do you want 8 teams? Beating Auburn last year and doing it this year vs LSU would be a compelling argument for UCF. (I think UCF will pound LSU), but that's a team who didn't even score on Alabama. The entire point of a 4 team playoff is to see who is #1. IMO UCF doesn't have an argument because about 12 teams would be undefeated with UCFs schedule.... Sorry.

The entire life of college football up until 2014 was not fair for the little guy.... What's changed? We weren't in the top 2 then and we aren't in top 4 now. Houston had a CHANCE a couple years ago with Louisville, and TT and Standard or whoever they played. Navy and Temple being good helped as well. It's not impossible for a G5 team to get in, but it has to be a perfect storm.
12-07-2018 01:41 PM
Schadenfreude Offline

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(12-07-2018 01:41 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Any boasting over Maryland is non sense... They were 5-7.

You slaughtered Pitt... Good win. They are 7-6. They won a division in an odd off year for the Coastal.

Good Lord. Central Florida schedules an ACC team and a Big Ten team. They beat them both. One of these opponents ends up winning a division. And people are still peeing all over them?

Bottom line: Central Florida won all their games. They've tried to schedule fairly decent nonconference games. (One was canceled by a hurricane.) They are in the top 10. Given all that, they deserve some benefit of the doubt over one-loss teams.

A better solution would be to expand the so-called playoff to eight teams and guarantee inclusion from at least one G5 team. But given the current situation, with a committee making the final decisions: If I was on the committee, I would have put Central Florida in over Oklahoma. Not even kidding about that. Perfect means something to me -- and it isn't Central Florida's fault they don't play a Big 12 schedule. I'm sure they would if they could. (So would Bowling Green, for the record, if you are reading this Bob Bowlsby.)
12-07-2018 03:08 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(12-04-2018 09:24 PM)Rocket_Fanatic Wrote:  Every FBS program deserves an opportunity to play for a national title each season. To deny that to certain schools means you have created an unfair and unjust system...

And FBS college football is the ONLY game that does that. Other levels, other sports - you have a shot.
12-07-2018 03:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.