Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Would Georgia stop playing Georgia Tech?
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
Would Georgia stop playing Georgia Tech?
Heard a rumor today that Kirby Smart is not keen on keeping the Florida game in Jacksonville. The primary reasons are it creates issues with the home schedule as you basically have a road game built in every single year. That and apparently, it takes away from recruiting. I imagine UGA would rather have those recruits coming through Athens when they play Florida.

But it doesn't stop there...

There are some rumblings that Georgia Tech just doesn't fit on the schedule anymore. The series has been lopsided for a long time now and Tech's permanent placement on the schedule hinders the ability to play marquee opponents in non-conference. Case in point, Texas and Clemson are on Georgia's schedule for 2029. That's a long time off, but I don't see UGA playing 3 P5 opponents out of conference in the same season.

There is also the matter of GT's triple option offense. Their program's strategy right now is built around the notion of utilizing lesser talent. Problem is, people hate playing the triple option and for good reason. It's easy to get your players hurt when the other team is constantly cut blocking.

So I'm not reporting anything here. I'm not an insider by any means, and certainly not with a program I have no connections to. Nonetheless, I wanted to pose this question and see what the Georgia people on this board have heard and/or think.
11-27-2018 09:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: Would Georgia stop playing Georgia Tech?
(11-27-2018 09:02 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Heard a rumor today that Kirby Smart is not keen on keeping the Florida game in Jacksonville. The primary reasons are it creates issues with the home schedule as you basically have a road game built in every single year. That and apparently, it takes away from recruiting. I imagine UGA would rather have those recruits coming through Athens when they play Florida.

There are some rumblings that Georgia Tech just doesn't fit on the schedule anymore. The series has been lopsided for a long time now and Tech's permanent placement on the schedule hinders the ability to play marquee opponents in non-conference. Case in point, Texas and Clemson are on Georgia's schedule for 2029. That's a long time off, but I don't see UGA playing 3 P5 opponents out of conference in the same season.

There is also the matter of GT's triple option offense. Their program's strategy right now is built around the notion of utilizing lesser talent. Problem is, people hate playing the triple option and for good reason. It's easy to get your players hurt when the other team is constantly cut blocking.

So I'm not reporting anything here. I'm not an insider by any means, and certainly not with a program I have no connections to. Nonetheless, I wanted to pose this question and see what the Georgia people on this board have heard and/or think.

IMO Georgia should have ended the series when Tech left the SEC. They screwed up, so let them die on the vine of irrelevance. They dropped Auburn from their annual schedule in 1978 and Auburn/Georgia Tech was the oldest rivalry in the Deep South having been played since 1892. They claimed scheduling issues with the ACC for the reason but the real reason was that they didn't want to keep Auburn on the schedule because that series had also become lopsided. I think Pepper Rogers was the coach at Tech at the time and he didn't like having that L on the schedule.

Tech ran its course years ago and the UGA game is the only thing really keeping them up. Kirby would be "Smart" to let 'em go. UGA would gain much more by moving Clemson into that slot or rotating games with schools like Texas and Oklahoma, or even Virginia Tech or Miami for Richtathon.

Besides ATU, if the SEC moves to 9 conference games it's going to have to be dropped anyway.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2018 09:26 PM by JRsec.)
11-27-2018 09:24 PM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
Agreed, JR. In basically all regards, UGA is now a national blue blood in athletics as a whole along with about 2/3's of the SEC (Florida, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, TAMU, South Carolina, and Arkansas). Our second tier is Kentucky, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and Missouri with Vandy as a third tier (athletically speaking as a whole, not just Olympic sports). I say all of that to say that Georgia Tech is definitely a third tier (way down the list in revenue and economic impact), and I just don't see how reaching two tiers down is beneficial for a blue blood.

Another case in point is UT and Vandy. If they were not conference mates, I have very little confidence that they would be annual opponents. A pretty good comparable is Penn State playing Pitt, and it looks like that series will end after next year with 2030 the next available opportunity to schedule each other again. For blue bloods, those 12 games are no longer about regional interest; they have to think nationally for revenue and recruiting both athletes and normal students. As more and more blue blood SEC schools strive to be national brands for athletics as well as academics, these Kickoff Classics type arrangements will rise and elimination of low radar, in-state games will surely take place. I am sure that these regional schools still love competing in other sports, especially non-revenue, but those 12 football games have to be maximized in order to keep a top status and to support the rest of the athletic department.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2018 09:43 PM by bigblueblindness.)
11-27-2018 09:40 PM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

(11-27-2018 09:02 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Heard a rumor today that Kirby Smart is not keen on keeping the Florida game in Jacksonville. The primary reasons are it creates issues with the home schedule as you basically have a road game built in every single year. That and apparently, it takes away from recruiting. I imagine UGA would rather have those recruits coming through Athens when they play Florida.

I get where Kirby is coming from on recruiting... Jacksonville is definitely an advantage to Florida. If they don't bring it on campus, I can see splitting time between Jacksonville and Atlanta being a good compromise.
11-27-2018 09:44 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-27-2018 09:40 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  Agreed, JR. In basically all regards, UGA is now a national blue blood in athletics as a whole along with about 2/3's of the SEC (Florida, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, TAMU, South Carolina, and Arkansas). Our second tier is Kentucky, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and Missouri with Vandy as a third tier (athletically speaking as a whole, not just Olympic sports). I say all of that to say that Georgia Tech is definitely a third tier (way down the list in revenue and economic impact), and I just don't see how reaching two tiers down is beneficial for a blue blood.

Another case in point is UT and Vandy. If they were not conference mates, I have very little confidence that they would be annual opponents. A pretty good comparable is Penn State playing Pitt, and it looks like that series will end after next year with 2030 the next available opportunity to schedule each other again. For blue bloods, those 12 games are no longer about regional interest; they have to think nationally for revenue and recruiting both athletes and normal students. As more and more blue blood SEC schools strive to be national brands for athletics as well as academics, these Kickoff Classics type arrangements will rise and elimination of low radar, in-state games will surely take place. I am sure that these regional schools still love competing in other sports, especially non-revenue, but those 12 football games have to be maximized in order to keep a top status and to support the rest of the athletic department.

Right, and it accomplishes another important end game strategy. The number of football participants will likely go down at at the High School level. The flagship state schools need to distance themselves by degree from other in state schools if they are to tilt the recruiting in state toward themselves. By playing you make it appear as if the other school is an equal. That's not a perception you want to lend to a school that might compete with you for star players, even if they currently only get a few.

I think Texas and Oklahoma have come to realize this. Texas's obsession with playing in state schools has directly contributed their lack of success on the field as Baylor and T.C.U. and Texas Tech all took some top stars which Texas and to a lesser extent A&M might have landed adding depth to their rosters if they had only distanced themselves from those schools. The rise of Oklahoma State to competitive status coincides with the slippage of OU's program from a national contender to simply a historic brand that is occasionally relevant. OU too is now hurt by a lack of depth because they elevated another program within the state.

Auburn stands on its own merits as top 10 in revenue and top 15 in attendance. Neither of the Mississippi schools has an upper hand. Vanderbilt is definitely a laggard.

Now that Louisville is getting its wings trimmed Kentucky with a very able HC is going to play some catch up.

Frankly if OU fails to make the CFP this year it will only mount pressure on the Sooners to possibly join the Horns in a move to the SEC where exposure to Louisiana and Florida athletes, and the distance they need from other local programs can be obtained. I like our chances to finish out at 16 with that pair. All they need is a manufactured crisis for an excuse to make such a move. And the formation of a new 4th power conference could help them abandon their little brothers without upsetting state lawmakers.

I firmly believe that schools like North Carolina and Virginia are going to eventually feel the strong need to do the same. Florida is large enough for F.S.U. to make such a move up and Clemson is definitely desirous of it.

Between the SEC and Big 10 I think it is inevitable that such power consolidation of flagship schools for the sake of their branding, if nothing else, will happen.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2018 09:58 PM by JRsec.)
11-27-2018 09:56 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

Georgia has been one of those programs that's a perennial underachiever. They are similar to Texas in that regard.

And while we're on this topic, there are a few things Georgia can do to elevate themselves to a truly elite program. They have the recruiting base, but playing Tech when they don't have to hurts their pedigree a little bit. I would argue that playing the Cocktail Party in Jacksonville every year does much the same thing.

A few tweaks here and there along with consistent winning and UGA is poised to be a perennial national title contender rather than just a good program.

The thing about playing Georgia Tech is that it keeps them from playing marquee non-conference opponents at neutral sites or in home and homes. Those are the sorts of games that perennial powers play.
11-27-2018 10:23 PM
Advertisement

bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

To build off the argument about UGA-GT and the other flagship to state/tech relationships, I have actually been thinking quite a bit about how the Louisville game is really not in UK's long term interests. I would never say this on the big board, but Louisville has felt like a shooting star to me ever since Jurich took over as AD. He definitely figured out how to monetize their athletics, but they have never felt rooted to me like the flagships that we associate with in the SEC. In other words, would any school, conference, or media network be truly crushed emotionally or financially if Louisville was no longer on their schedule? I think the same can be said for the "little brother" in many states.

Your comment, JR, has me thinking that the only states where two public schools can maintain as essentially top-flight equals are as follows because of their distinct national brands, unique academic profiles/missions, and mutually beneficial relationship on the field and in the pocketbook:

Alabama and Auburn
Florida and Florida State
South Carolina and Clemson
Texas and Texas A&M
California and UCLA

I think every other state, including Michigan, would benefit overall from having one truly elite athletic flagship program. Moreover, I think the following states would become absolute juggernauts if they threw all of their elite athletic support behind a single flagship:

1. Michigan
2. North Carolina
3. Virginia
4. Arizona

The following states may not become juggernauts, but I think they would finally create a bonafide blue blood in all sports if they just supported the single flagship:

1. Mississippi
2. Kansas
3. Indiana
4. Kentucky
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2018 10:27 PM by bigblueblindness.)
11-27-2018 10:25 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-27-2018 10:25 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  To build off the argument about UGA-GT and the other flagship to state/tech relationships, I have actually been thinking quite a bit about how the Louisville game is really not in UK's long term interests. I would never say this on the big board, but Louisville has felt like a shooting star to me ever since Jurich took over as AD. He definitely figured out how to monetize their athletics, but they have never felt rooted to me like the flagships that we associate with in the SEC. In other words, would any school, conference, or media network be truly crushed emotionally or financially if Louisville was no longer on their schedule? I think the same can be said for the "little brother" in many states.

Your comment, JR, has me thinking that the only states where two public schools can maintain as essentially top-flight equals are as follows because of their distinct national brands, unique academic profiles/missions, and mutually beneficial relationship on the field and in the pocketbook:

Alabama and Auburn
Florida and Florida State
South Carolina and Clemson
Texas and Texas A&M
California and UCLA

I think every other state, including Michigan, would benefit overall from having one truly elite athletic flagship program. Moreover, I think the following states would become absolute juggernauts if they threw all of their elite athletic support behind a single flagship:

1. Michigan
2. North Carolina
3. Virginia
4. Arizona

The following states may not become juggernauts, but I think they would finally create a bonafide blue blood in all sports if they just supported the single flagship:

1. Mississippi
2. Kansas
3. Indiana
4. Kentucky

That is why adding these schools plus Oklahoma is essential to monopolizing the region.

Texas / Texas A&M becomes the Auburn / Alabama of the West. Clemson / South Carolina becomes an annual battle in the North. Auburn / Alabama defines the South, and Florida / Florida State defines the East. Georgia / Florida and Texas / Oklahoma carry the month of November forward to rivalry week. Alabama / Tennessee and Auburn / Georgia do the same.

The entire month of November for the SEC becomes must see TV for the nation.

If we needed the same juice for hoops then add Kansas and North Carolina. That pads the football record keeping the win / loss bell curve intact and it mushrooms our value as a basketball conference.

West: Arkansas, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M
South: Alabama, Louisiana State, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt
North: Clemson, Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina, Tennessee
East: Auburn, Georgia, Florida, Florida State, North Carolina
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2018 10:46 PM by JRsec.)
11-27-2018 10:32 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-27-2018 09:44 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  

I get where Kirby is coming from on recruiting... Jacksonville is definitely an advantage to Florida. If they don't bring it on campus, I can see splitting time between Jacksonville and Atlanta being a good compromise.

That's a great idea. Replace Tech in Atlanta with Florida. UGA gets Atlanta and Jacksonville exposure, ditto for the Gators.
11-27-2018 10:53 PM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
Georgia has had several opportunities to stop playing Georgia Tech altogether, but it hasn’t. Why?? “Clean, Old Fashioned Hate” means a lot in the state of Georgia. It’s a series that goes all the way back to the late 1800’s, even though the teams didn’t play each other all the time. I would say we need to move Tech up a few dates in the schedule, but that’s all I would do.
As for Florida and Jacksonville, Mark Richt made the same comments Kirby Smart made back when UGA was getting stomped in Jacksonville, but the alumni would not hear of any of it and the concept was unpopular with the Gators also. To me, it’s like OU-Texas or Army-Navy. The game belongs where it’s currently played. The main reason Georgia was not more competitive in the series for awhile is because Georgia played Florida without a bye week, while Florida always had a bye week before playing Georgia. Now that Georgia and Florida both have bye weeks before playing each other, this rivalry is more competitive now, IMO, and I like it that way!!!
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2018 04:22 AM by DawgNBama.)
11-28-2018 04:20 AM
OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

I Root For: Canine & Avian
(11-28-2018 04:20 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  Georgia has had several opportunities to stop playing Georgia Tech altogether, but it hasn’t. Why?? “Clean, Old Fashioned Hate” means a lot in the state of Georgia. It’s a series that goes all the way back to the late 1800’s, even though the teams didn’t play each other all the time. I would say we need to move Tech up a few dates in the schedule, but that’s all I would do.
As for Florida and Jacksonville, Mark Richt made the same comments Kirby Smart made back when UGA was getting stomped in Jacksonville, but the alumni would not hear of any of it and the concept was unpopular with the Gators also. To me, it’s like OU-Texas or Army-Navy. The game belongs where it’s currently played. The main reason Georgia was not more competitive in the series for awhile is because Georgia played Florida without a bye week, while Florida always had a bye week before playing Georgia. Now that Georgia and Florida both have bye weeks before playing each other, this rivalry is more competitive now, IMO, and I like it that way!!!
Largely agree. When there was speculation a few years ago that GT may receive a BIG invitation, there was the threat that UGA would drop the historic series.

Breaking-up more rivalry games, particularly in-state competition, is not improvement.
11-28-2018 10:44 AM
Advertisement

DawgNBama Offline

(11-27-2018 10:23 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Georgia has been one of those programs that's a perennial underachiever. They are similar to Texas in that regard.

And while we're on this topic, there are a few things Georgia can do to elevate themselves to a truly elite program. They have the recruiting base, but playing Tech when they don't have to hurts their pedigree a little bit. I would argue that playing the Cocktail Party in Jacksonville every year does much the same thing.

A few tweaks here and there along with consistent winning and UGA is poised to be a perennial national title contender rather than just a good program.

The thing about playing Georgia Tech is that it keeps them from playing marquee non-conference opponents at neutral sites or in home and homes. Those are the sorts of games that perennial powers play.

Not all the time. Georgia played North Carolina in Atlanta not too long ago and Georgia has played Clemson, Oklahoma State, Notre Dame, Arizona State, and Colorado all home and home. That’s why Bulldog fans like myself don’t want to go to nine conference games. We’d lose the flexibility we have to be able to schedule those kinds of games.
11-28-2018 01:03 PM
DawgNBama Offline

(11-27-2018 09:24 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

IMO Georgia should have ended the series when Tech left the SEC. They screwed up, so let them die on the vine of irrelevance. They dropped Auburn from their annual schedule in 1978 and Auburn/Georgia Tech was the oldest rivalry in the Deep South having been played since 1892. They claimed scheduling issues with the ACC for the reason but the real reason was that they didn't want to keep Auburn on the schedule because that series had also become lopsided. I think Pepper Rogers was the coach at Tech at the time and he didn't like having that L on the schedule.

Tech ran its course years ago and the UGA game is the only thing really keeping them up. Kirby would be "Smart" to let 'em go. UGA would gain much more by moving Clemson into that slot or rotating games with schools like Texas and Oklahoma, or even Virginia Tech or Miami for Richtathon.

Besides ATU, if the SEC moves to 9 conference games it's going to have to be dropped anyway.

I want to say that for a brief period of time after GT left the SEC , UGA did indeed stopped playing Tech for awhile. But, a lot of people in the state really love series, and Georgia (UGA) has a very long history with Tech and vice versa. Sheesh, look how much GTSwagger and the other GT fans on here get about the game. You would think that UGA & Tech were playing in the Super Bowl!! And, the game is big for UGA fans too. UGA fans view GT as kinda like a public school version of Duke University, and like Duke & UNC, UGA & GT has rivalries in several different sports, even club lacrosse!!
It’s a real shame that GT allowed the series with Auburn to die out, because there was a lot of history in that one too, but GT had a lot of problems back then that aren’t there now. And I have seen some GT posters on another website that want to start playing Auburn again on a regular basis.
11-28-2018 01:20 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(11-28-2018 01:03 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  
(11-27-2018 10:23 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Georgia has been one of those programs that's a perennial underachiever. They are similar to Texas in that regard.

Not all the time. Georgia played North Carolina in Atlanta not too long ago and Georgia has played Clemson, Oklahoma State, Notre Dame, Arizona State, and Colorado all home and home. That’s why Bulldog fans like myself don’t want to go to nine conference games. We’d lose the flexibility we have to be able to schedule those kinds of games.

What I'm saying though is those series for Georgia don't come as often as they do for other elite programs. This year, GT was the only Power team UGA played out of conference. That and playing multiple neutral site games in one year is tough being that the Cocktail Party is annual game in Jacksonville.

I honestly think Kirby will have more success convincing the power brokers to make some changes. Mark Richt was a great guy and everything, but he wasn't the greatest leader. Kirby on the other hand comes from Saban's school of thought...meaning he demands that his school get on board with all the ancillary things that can give a program an edge. Scheduling is a big part of that.
11-28-2018 02:01 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
(11-27-2018 09:24 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Besides ATU, if the SEC moves to 9 conference games it's going to have to be dropped anyway.

I know South Carolina has no intention of dropping Clemson and Clemson likes playing 2 SEC schools/year so that series is safe.

I could see UGA/GT ending things at some point but not sure Kirby has the cache to do that (yet). Also GT will be hiring a new coach and who know what his thoughts will be.
11-28-2018 02:24 PM
OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

I Root For: Canine & Avian
(11-28-2018 02:24 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  
(11-27-2018 09:24 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Besides ATU, if the SEC moves to 9 conference games it's going to have to be dropped anyway.

I know South Carolina has no intention of dropping Clemson and Clemson likes playing 2 SEC schools/year so that series is safe.

I could see UGA/GT ending things at some point but not sure Kirby has the cache to do that (yet). Also GT will be hiring a new coach and who know what his thoughts will be.

The State of Georgia also has a legislature that does appropriations to state universities, including GT. They don't want to see either UGA or GT take a major hit. Influential alumni of both schools will support continuing the rivalry. Playing in close-by Atlanta, a corporate hub, doesn't hurt Georgia at all. Kirby Smart ain't changing that.

Officials and fans of Alabama, Auburn, Miss. State, Ole Miss., Arkansas, Missouri, Tenb., Candy, and LSU can easily exclaim they want nine conference games. They don't have other P5 schools in their respective states or are already.in the SEC. The other five do or can resume doing so (T A&M).
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2018 05:33 PM by OdinFrigg.)
11-28-2018 03:40 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-28-2018 03:40 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  
(11-28-2018 02:24 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  

The State of Georgia also has a Legislature that does appropriations to state universities, including powerful alumni of both schools. Kirby Smart ain't changing that.

Officials and fans of Alabama, Auburn, Miss. State, Ole Miss., Arkansas, Missouri, and LSU can easily exclaim they want nine conference games. They don't have other P5 schools in their respective states that don't exist or are already.in the SEC. The other seven do or can resume doing so (T a&m).

Look guys we are on the slow track to 12 P games. A step to 9 conference games will mean a step to 10 P games. If Texas joins the SEC at some point then A&M is a non issue. If Kansas ever joins then Missouri is a non issue. Should Florida State and Clemson ever join then those are dead issues as well.

The problem with Georgia Tech is simply compatibility. And I agree with both Kirby and with AllTideUp, there is no reason to continue that game from a competitive, profile, or recruiting stand point.

If the next round of realignment lands us two prizes from the Big 12 the pressure on Clemson and Florida State will become immense. Squeezing the scheduling is just a form of ratcheting up the pressure to secure the SEC as the sole football conference in our region, and in doing so securing the SEC's top spot nationally for the sport. And as the Southeast grows politically it would be advantageous to have these state schools under one banner. The business ties between the states, research endeavors growing out the expansion of business in the Southeast, and the synergy of those ties will be increasingly important to establish and maintain.

For those reasons and those we stated in establishing a qualitative difference between flagships and the rest, I look for an eventual intentional move for Texas, Florida State, and North Carolina. Oklahoma could be a bonus but isn't essential. We probably would be amenable to Clemson and/ or Virginia/VaTech.

I could easily see the SEC topping out at 20 and I think that is the sweet spot for attaining a cohesive grip over the Southeastern United States.

Obviously North Carolina is the alpha dog of the ACC, but they would establish their dominance over their region much more completely with a move to the SEC. Like Texas their sports have gotten weaker due to having 3 other North Carolina peers.

The case for Virginia is much less obvious and in a lot of ways Va Tech would be the better fit, but for the political connections and business/academic ties UVa would still likely be the primary target.

Higher Ed is going to be consolidating. Eventually some very well established schools are going to see the need to separate themselves from some of their old peers. If sports is going to continue to be a solid revenue stream, a great advertisement for the school, and the region is going to experience solid growth, then I expect the organizing principles of conferences to change. Indeed, I believe our realignment picks are indicative of that already.
11-28-2018 04:06 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

Don't disagree with any of that, JR. I see it as something that's a very long way off though - possibly 30-50 years in the case of Clemson and FSU. There's just no interest on their end or with SC (and I suspect UF too).

I'm fine with the SEC going to 9 games though, and I think we get that relatively soon in addition to a +1 P5 requirement. That would actually solve a lot of the current issues some folks have with imbalanced conference schedules and permanent rivals. The fact that Sankey even addressed it at media days was interesting and it tells me it's very much on his mind.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2018 04:13 PM by Gamecock.)
11-28-2018 04:12 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-28-2018 04:12 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  Don't disagree with any of that, JR. I see it as something that's a very long way off though - possibly 30-50 years in the case of Clemson and FSU. There's just no interest on their end or with SC (and I suspect UF too).

I'm fine with the SEC going to 9 games though, and I think we get that relatively soon in addition to a +1 P5 requirement. That would actually solve a lot of the current issues some folks have with imbalanced conference schedules and permanent rivals. The fact that Sankey even addressed it at media days was interesting and it tells me it's very much on his mind.

I don't understand how you can say there is no interest when Florida had desired to sponsor Florida State in 2010 and sponsored them in '91 and Spurrier indicated that South Carolina were willing to sponsor Clemson in 2010. That's the reason Slive asked for a "Gentlemen's Agreement" that no in state rival be nominated until the renegotiation clause was fulfilled with 2 new markets first, and why Slive insisted that such stipulations would not be imposed in the future.

As to the timeline, 2035 would be when anything that might happen would happen.

Now what the message board crud did with that is another issue entirely and part of a great lie about the process.

Now as to 9 games, that should have happened with expansion to 14, and would be essential at 16.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2018 04:22 PM by JRsec.)
11-28-2018 04:20 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

(11-28-2018 04:20 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(11-28-2018 04:12 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  Don't disagree with any of that, JR. I see it as something that's a very long way off though - possibly 30-50 years in the case of Clemson and FSU. There's just no interest on their end or with SC (and I suspect UF too).

I don't understand how you can say there is no interest when Florida had desired to sponsor Florida State in 2010 and sponsored them in '91 and Spurrier indicated that South Carolina were willing to sponsor Clemson in 2010. That's the reason Slive asked for a "Gentlemen's Agreement" that no in state rival be nominated until the renegotiation clause was fulfilled with 2 new markets first, and why Slive insisted that such stipulations would not be imposed in the future.

As to the timeline, 2035 would be when anything that might happen would happen.

Now what the message board crud did with that is another issue entirely and part of a great lie about the process.

Now as to 9 games, that should have happened with expansion to 14, and would be essential at 16.

I admitted I don't know much about UF.

I DO know that Clemson people are very happy in the ACC (because of easy schedules) and SC people are very happy with them being there (because of recruiting). Both schools are more than happy to continue playing OOC at the end of November. Unless there is just overwhelming pressure from the SEC, TV, and whoever the current coaches/ADs are, I just don't see it happening.

I wouldn't like it, but at the end of the day it would probably help SC if it happened. But I just can't imagine a scenario.
11-28-2018 04:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.