Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

JMU Mens Soccer
Bookmark and Share
PGJMU2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Dukes
JMU Mens Soccer
why are we not making a bigger deal of this? I know it is buried in the fall sports thread, but final 8 and not done yet?
11-26-2018 11:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jmufanatic13 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: JMU
RE: JMU Mens Soccer
(11-26-2018 11:51 AM)PGJMU2 Wrote:  why are we not making a bigger deal of this? I know it is buried in the fall sports thread, but final 8 and not done yet?

Agreed, we have a realistic chance at making the college cup. Unc and tech were rated much higher than Michigan State. I am hoping for a solid performance and a W in East Lansing Saturday evening.
11-26-2018 12:05 PM
Dadgum Offline
1st String

I Root For: James Madison
Both these teams have been relishing the role of underdog in this tournament. Should be a great match, hoping the Dukes can win and advance to the programs first College Cup, it's been a long time coming.
11-26-2018 12:13 PM
formerjmusprinter84 Offline
1st String

I have watched most of the UNC and Va Tech games. To me it appears that the Dukes move the ball around so much better than their opponents. Goalie is outstanding as well. If they play like they have the past two games, they should continue to advance.
11-26-2018 12:16 PM
Dukesfan1971 Offline
Bench Warmer

DNR says that Manuel Ferriol has to sit out the Michigan State game as well because it was his second red card of the year. Harsh.
11-26-2018 03:30 PM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

That is some harsh BS if Ferriol has to miss another game.
11-26-2018 03:31 PM
Advertisement

tribe_pride Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M
Definitely is a harsh rule but here is Rule 12.8.1 of the NCAA soccer handbook:

12.8.1 A player, coach or bench personnel ejected from a game under Rules 12.7.4.1 to 12.7.4.8 cannot participate in the next regularly scheduled game, including postseason games, or, if the offense occurs in the final game of the season, in the first scheduled game of the next season. Each successive red card ejection shall result in an additional one-game suspension. For example, a second red card shall result in a two-game suspension, a third red card shall result in a three-game suspension, etc.
11-26-2018 03:47 PM
DukeDogDisciple Offline
Water Engineer

Garbage red card rules. Disqualifications in other sports (Targeting in football and fouling out in basketball) don't carry nearly the penalty for future games. And stinks that it doesn't discriminate between two yellows and a straight red (especially when soft yellows are given out like candy on Halloween (a la Ward-Baptiste yesterday).

Was glad to hear Zazenkski say he didn't think we played particularly well yesterday. Keep the boys hungry and focused. Defend as a unit, be opportunistic when chances present themselves. I like the lads' chances.
11-26-2018 04:07 PM
19Duke97 Offline
2nd String

Even more garbage considering the red card was given out on a hard tackle. The Ref was pissed b/c Ferriol was giving him lip from earlier. Punishment does not fit the crime in this case.
11-26-2018 04:20 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

JMU Mens Soccer
Yeah I have to agree. Outside of a fighting situation, I don’t see why a multiple game suspension would ever be justified.

Penalty cards are subjective on the part of the official. They shouldn’t yield the power to suspend a player for multiple games singlehandedly.

I also think that it should be like targeting in football, in that if you go out in the first half, you don’t have to sit out in a subsequent game.
11-26-2018 06:22 PM
jmuroadwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU albany
(11-26-2018 04:20 PM)19Duke97 Wrote:  Even more garbage considering the red card was given out on a hard tackle. The Ref was pissed b/c Ferriol was giving him lip from earlier. Punishment does not fit the crime in this case.

A-freaking-men. It was a chippy touchy kind of contact and not close to red card severity.
11-26-2018 06:45 PM
Advertisement

jmuroadwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU albany
(11-26-2018 11:51 AM)PGJMU2 Wrote:  why are we not making a bigger deal of this? I know it is buried in the fall sports thread, but final 8 and not done yet?

I agree. I was at yesterday's game and we really played great. This team is potent and seems to have the formula for the big push to the finals. It's funny that our shorter players really know how to use their size to control the midfield. Usually we say that about the more bigger stouter folks in sports. Smaller in this case may be an advantage, tenacious and closer to the ground where the ball is most of the time. I like this team a lot.
11-26-2018 06:50 PM
atljmualum Offline
All American

JMU Mens Soccer
(11-26-2018 06:45 PM)jmuroadwarrior Wrote:  
(11-26-2018 04:20 PM)19Duke97 Wrote:  Even more garbage considering the red card was given out on a hard tackle. The Ref was pissed b/c Ferriol was giving him lip from earlier. Punishment does not fit the crime in this case.

A-freaking-men. It was a chippy touchy kind of contact and not close to red card severity.

This is a ridiculous rule and even more ridiculous that a red card in regular season + one in post season could cause a multi game suspension. Is there no way to appeal the ruling?
11-26-2018 07:07 PM
jmufan2008 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes
Ugh. Agree that a multi-game suspension is absurd to start with, and especially that the first red card was in the regular season and we're now going into the 4th game of the NCAA tournament, not to mention two conference tournament games. I'm fine making sure the suspension happens in postseason if it's the last game of the regular season, but the counter should reset once in the postseason, especially since they've already played 20 games before the postseason starts.

Also, while I did think a red card was just stupidly excessive for the foul...it was also a pointless tackle at the time. That red card tackle and the tackle that gave UNC a fairly close free kick were excessive at that point in the game (only a couple minutes left) when our D is so awesome. He especially needed to have the presence of mind that he already had a red card. I doubt he thought it was even borderline for a red card, but there just wasn't a need to risk it at that point in the match.
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2018 11:38 PM by jmufan2008.)
11-26-2018 11:29 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

So if we beat Mich St, next game would be winner of Akron vs Stanford it looks like?

Akron took down #1 seed Wake Forest. Seems like a lot of parity in soccer.
11-27-2018 03:13 PM
Dukester Offline

(11-27-2018 03:13 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  So if we beat Mich St, next game would be winner of Akron vs Stanford it looks like?

Akron took down #1 seed Wake Forest. Seems like a lot of parity in soccer.

Low scoring sport allows for more parity.
11-27-2018 03:19 PM
Advertisement

Dadgum Offline
1st String

So I'm not clear here, is Ferriol suspended against Sparty or can he play?

Go Dukes!
11-27-2018 04:27 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

JMU Mens Soccer
(11-27-2018 04:27 PM)Dadgum Wrote:  So I'm not clear here, is Ferriol suspended against Sparty or can he play?

Go Dukes!

Suspended. Will be available the following game if the Dukes win.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2018 05:22 PM by Potomac.)
11-27-2018 05:22 PM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

Akron has been a very good soccer school and has had a few #1 overall Super Draft picks. If I remember correctly, I think their coach had connections with the US Soccer academy and was able to get some quality players to Ohio. Still, Wake Forest has been a great team all year and they deserved the #1 seed.
11-27-2018 08:22 PM
Jeremyboz Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU,WVU
43 degrees and a 50% chance of rain at 5 PM on Saturday in East Lansing.(96% chance of rain from 9 AM to 1 PM there that day).
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2018 11:27 PM by Jeremyboz.)
11-27-2018 11:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.