Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thoughts on Gus Malzahn, JRSec??
Bookmark and Share
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
Thoughts on Gus Malzahn, JRSec??
It seemed like he was the hot seat earlier this year, but a couple of wins quieted the talk. Now with losses to Georgia and 'Bama, I have to ask, was it enough???

P.S. I pulled for Auburn today vs Bama, but the officiating in that game was atrocious, IMO. Bunch of homecooking by 'Bama, IMO. No offense, Tide fans, but I think the SEC handed you that one.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2018 02:24 AM by DawgNBama.)
11-25-2018 02:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: Thoughts on Gus Malzahn, JRSec??
(11-25-2018 02:22 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  It seemed like he was the hot seat earlier this year, but a couple of wins quieted the talk. Now with losses to Georgia and 'Bama, I have to ask, was it enough???

P.S. I pulled for Auburn today vs Bama, but the officiating in that game was atrocious, IMO. Bunch of homecooking by 'Bama, IMO. No offense, Tide fans, but I think the SEC handed you that one.

1. I think Gus will be back for another year, but a 7-5 next year and he'll likely be gone.

2. Tua had a lot to do with the loss. We just didn't have an answer for the precision downfield passing. They beat us deep all day.
11-25-2018 02:51 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
Auburn fought hard and made some nice drives, but just no match for the tide.

Most teams are no match for them.
11-25-2018 06:24 AM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
(11-25-2018 02:22 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  but the officiating in that game was atrocious, IMO. Bunch of homecooking by 'Bama, IMO. No offense, Tide fans, but I think the SEC handed you that one.

I normally don't worry about things like this, but would you care to highlight a string of calls so atrocious that would overcome a 31 point difference?

Other than a ticky-tack holding call on Auburn early in the game, I can't recall anything that stood out.
11-25-2018 11:12 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

Gus just signed a huge contract last offseason. If he was fired today I believe Auburn would owe him a small fortune.

JR, what’s the buyout price today? Over $50M?
11-26-2018 12:42 AM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-26-2018 12:42 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  Gus just signed a huge contract last offseason. If he was fired today I believe Auburn would owe him a small fortune.

32 million, 25 million at the end of next year. And the money has already been raised if needed.
11-26-2018 12:49 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(11-26-2018 12:49 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(11-26-2018 12:42 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  Gus just signed a huge contract last offseason. If he was fired today I believe Auburn would owe him a small fortune.

32 million, 25 million at the end of next year. And the money has already been raised if needed.

Who lead the rehiring process? The AD or the boosters?

The biggest flaw to Gus’ system is getting a QB trained up process all the reads and options and then survive the punishment from running at the defenders.
11-26-2018 01:00 AM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-26-2018 01:00 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  
(11-26-2018 12:49 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

Who lead the rehiring process? The AD or the boosters?

The biggest flaw to Gus’ system is getting a QB trained up process all the reads and options and then survive the punishment from running at the defenders.

A.D. only and that's been a big rub here. And the problem is no QB development at all. Stidham's footwork still stinks. His deep ball is still off. And he still rolls in the same predictable direction no matter where the pressure is coming from. It's not his fault. These are all coaching deficiencies.
11-26-2018 02:06 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

Interesting if true:

Quote:Malzahn signed a 7-year, $49 million contract after leading Auburn to wins over Georgia and Alabama en route to an SEC West championship in 2017. The cost to buy the sixth-year Auburn coach out of his contract at this point is a reported $32 million with $16 million of that due nearly immediately should they make this decision.

For what it is worth, FootballScoop was told that people representing Auburn met with Bob Stoops a few weeks back….

http://footballscoop.com/news/report-gus...fe-auburn/
11-26-2018 05:22 PM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
(11-26-2018 05:22 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  Interesting if true:

Quote:Malzahn signed a 7-year, $49 million contract after leading Auburn to wins over Georgia and Alabama en route to an SEC West championship in 2017. The cost to buy the sixth-year Auburn coach out of his contract at this point is a reported $32 million with $16 million of that due nearly immediately should they make this decision.

For what it is worth, FootballScoop was told that people representing Auburn met with Bob Stoops a few weeks back….

Now, that is fascinating.

What Auburn needs to avoid here is another Jetgate because that will do more harm than good.

But if they can get Stoops then they need to make it happen.
11-27-2018 02:25 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-27-2018 02:25 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(11-26-2018 05:22 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  Interesting if true:

Now, that is fascinating.

What Auburn needs to avoid here is another Jetgate because that will do more harm than good.

But if they can get Stoops then they need to make it happen.

I think Bob is telling the truth. I seriously doubt that he has been contacted. In the past when Auburn has seriously flirted with other coaches we have typically released a misdirection rumor to mask our communications elsewhere.

In the Petrino scandal it was a rouge booster (Yellow Fella) that had someone do the reaching out. But it was part in parcel in response to Jimmy Sexton who was Tubberville's agent and always threatened us with moving Tubby elsewhere if we didn't pony up more cash. In part the flight to Louisville was an attempt to counter Sexton.

You'll note that it was Sexton who hyped the Malzahn to Arkansas to get more cash for Gus last year. If you want to deal with Sexton then you Gus go and hire somebody whose better and save losing the damned bonus cash that Sexton extorts. BTW, I believe he gets about 10%. Think of all the coaches he represents and how much they make. I had the grades to go to law school but considered most of them to be ambulance chasers and I didn't like the ones I knew.

When I think of what I could have made as a coach, or better yet their contract lawyers and agents, all I can say is "What the hell was I thinking!"

But hey, I do at least sleep well at night!
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2018 03:24 PM by JRsec.)
11-27-2018 03:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.