Amazon bids for Disney's 22 RSNs
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
Amazon bids for Disney's 22 RSNs
Here we go...

CNBC reports:

There are several other bidders coming forward so this process is far from done, but it's interesting that Amazon is officially in the fray.

Not a lot of details out right now as it's a developing story.
11-20-2018 10:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
RE: Amazon bids for Disney's 22 RSNs
Nobody is going to outbid Amazon for it.
11-20-2018 04:08 PM
ICThawk Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: KU
(11-20-2018 04:08 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  Nobody is going to outbid Amazon for it.

Well, it's not always a question of who has the money as much as who sees how much value in something. Amazon may well have the money but at some point they may say "it's not worth that much to me". Amazon, or Buffett, or Apple or LOTS of others "could" have purchased Fox (they have the money!) but either didn't show an interest in or (as Comcast did) decided that the price was more than it was "worth" to them.
It's more of a question of how much you value/want/need something that just having money. Frankly, I would be kinda surprised if Amazon "wins" as I think some of the other bidders may see more "value" in it than Amazon. And remember, the RSNs are mostly pro teams, not college. Potential bidders for pro rights may or may not be bidders for college rights, and even if they are, may value them significantly differently.
11-20-2018 05:32 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
(11-20-2018 05:32 PM)ICThawk Wrote:  

Well, it's not always a question of who has the money as much as who sees how much value in something. Amazon may well have the money but at some point they may say "it's not worth that much to me". Amazon, or Buffett, or Apple or LOTS of others "could" have purchased Fox (they have the money!) but either didn't show an interest in or (as Comcast did) decided that the price was more than it was "worth" to them.
It's more of a question of how much you value/want/need something that just having money. Frankly, I would be kinda surprised if Amazon "wins" as I think some of the other bidders may see more "value" in it than Amazon. And remember, the RSNs are mostly pro teams, not college. Potential bidders for pro rights may or may not be bidders for college rights, and even if they are, may value them significantly differently.

This will be more of a sure thing than original content. Which can be hit or miss at best. Plus doesn't Fox own like half the rights to the Big 12?
11-20-2018 08:59 PM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(11-20-2018 05:32 PM)ICThawk Wrote:  

This would be Amazon's first true foray into sports broadcasting. Other than purchasing some rights here and there, they haven't attempted to obtain this type of readymade platform even though they've been rumored to be interested in a deeper investment in this form of entertainment.

I don't think they'd bid on it if they didn't think it was a valuable endeavor. That's not really their M.O. anyway.

They might not win it, but I think that will be a matter of how competitive the bid is. Disney might well prefer to sell to someone else, but they are required to sell the RSNs in a fairly short period of time. Amazon is a behemoth.

To the point about their interest in pro sports, I see your point, but I think we should consider if entities like Amazon come along and start buying up pro sports rights then the college rights still become more valuable to other entities because the options are limited. Air time needs to be filled either way and if more of the pro sports rights are shifting to Amazon then scarcity kicks in.
11-20-2018 09:20 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

From Awful Announcing:

Amazon confirmed as a bidder

Also from Awful Announcing:

What if a private equity firm buys the RSNs?
11-21-2018 02:29 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(11-21-2018 02:29 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  From Awful Announcing:

Amazon confirmed as a bidder

Also from Awful Announcing:

What if a private equity firm buys the RSNs?

The RSN's may involve some rights, but I'm not sure any of them will be set up for production outside of those rights deals. I'm thinking that for awhile the Big 10, SEC, ACC and possibly Big 12 would still be better off with a network backer. At least the article made it clear that these will likely be of little help to the PAC. So I don't see it have as big of an influence or impact upon conferences as the networks already have.

I still believe that future realignment moves are much more likely to be spurred by network contract deals than any of the FAANG or RSN companies.
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2018 11:25 PM by JRsec.)
11-21-2018 11:23 PM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

So apparently, not only did Amazon NOT bid for the 22 RSNs, but there weren't very many serious bids at all. Amazon is trying to team up with the Yankees to buy YES.

And it looks like most of the bids were not in the ballpark that Disney really wanted them to be.

Charter did not submit a bid
12-16-2018 09:48 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(12-16-2018 09:48 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  So apparently, not only did Amazon NOT bid for the 22 RSNs, but there weren't very many serious bids at all. Amazon is trying to team up with the Yankees to buy YES.

And it looks like most of the bids were not in the ballpark that Disney really wanted them to be.

FOX will get them back, and at a bargain. IMO.
12-16-2018 09:50 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

So it looks like FOX is backing away from any potential buyback of the RSNs.

From Awful Announcing:

Quote:“Fox confirms that it does not intend to bid for any of the Fox regional sports networks that Disney (or any entity operating on its behalf) may sell as required by the consent decree with the U.S. Department of Justice,” the filing said.

Ourand also notes that Fox is declining to pursue the RSNs because they’re interested in high growth businesses and they view the RSNs as a low growth business, and that they’re “scared away” by the way Disney is going about the sale, in part because of the number of potential bidders that have seen the sales book.

I'm not sure what to think about this...

ESPN could monetize these things one way or the other, but they won't be allowed to. Apparently, no major media company wants them. Either that or they're waiting until the price has been driven down to jump in.

Did FOX pull a fast one to get rid of these things?

Will this affect how ESPN views FOX as a potential partner going forward? As in, payback can be hell....
01-11-2019 04:07 PM
Advertisement

vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(01-11-2019 04:07 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  So it looks like FOX is backing away from any potential buyback of the RSNs.

From Awful Announcing:

Quote:“Fox confirms that it does not intend to bid for any of the Fox regional sports networks that Disney (or any entity operating on its behalf) may sell as required by the consent decree with the U.S. Department of Justice,” the filing said.

Ourand also notes that Fox is declining to pursue the RSNs because they’re interested in high growth businesses and they view the RSNs as a low growth business, and that they’re “scared away” by the way Disney is going about the sale, in part because of the number of potential bidders that have seen the sales book.

I'm not sure what to think about this...

ESPN could monetize these things one way or the other, but they won't be allowed to. Apparently, no major media company wants them. Either that or they're waiting until the price has been driven down to jump in.

Did FOX pull a fast one to get rid of these things?

Will this affect how ESPN views FOX as a potential partner going forward? As in, payback can be hell....

Not a fast one, but I think Rupert was prescient is in his assessment of the viability of the RSN’s. Most of the content, while perishable, isn’t urgent which is why they have a very low ROI.
01-12-2019 09:18 AM
ICThawk Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-16-2018 09:50 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(12-16-2018 09:48 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  So apparently, not only did Amazon NOT bid for the 22 RSNs, but there weren't very many serious bids at all. Amazon is trying to team up with the Yankees to buy YES.

Fox has confirmed that it will NOT be a bidder on the RSNs that Disney must sell.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/f...ll-1175395
01-12-2019 01:22 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(01-12-2019 01:22 PM)ICThawk Wrote:  

Fox has confirmed that it will NOT be a bidder on the RSNs that Disney must sell.

Yeah I saw that yesterday. Thanks for posting. It looks like if Amazon or one of the FAANGS wants them they can have them. The only question will be how good a bargain they get.
01-12-2019 03:35 PM
ICThawk Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-12-2019 03:35 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(01-12-2019 01:22 PM)ICThawk Wrote:  

Yeah I saw that yesterday. Thanks for posting. It looks like if Amazon or one of the FAANGS wants them they can have them. The only question will be how good a bargain they get.

Sorry for the repost.....I missed AllTideUps post somehow or I wouldn't have bothered to clutter up the board with my post.
01-12-2019 06:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.