Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UCF QB Goes Off on Notre Dame: 'Can't Tell Me They're Better'
Bookmark and Share
AeroCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
UCF QB Goes Off on Notre Dame: 'Can't Tell Me They're Better'
What do you guys think? What's it going to take for the American to get some respect? When we go out and beat UCF, do all the naysayers start piping up?

Quote:ORLANDO, Fla. — Follow along, everyone. McKenzie Milton wants to make this as simple as possible.

Notre Dame beat Pittsburgh in October by five lousy points. Two weeks earlier, UCF beat Pitt by 31.

"You look at the [Pitt] film against us and Notre Dame," says Milton, UCF's star quarterback. "You can't tell me Notre Dame is a better team than us."

He is asked: You don't see a difference?

"Oh, I see a difference," Milton says. "We're better."

There you have it. Forget about hokey national championship marketing ploys or a contrived idea that the American Athletic should be the sixth power conference.

This is about the eye test, the very thing the College Football Playoff selection committee uses to determine the four teams for its annual show that produces the sport's national champion.

It's not about conference championships or good wins versus bad losses or any other "metric" or "entry point"—the big-boy words the committee uses to make you think they're doing heavy lifting behind those closed doors. It's about sitting in front of a television in a posh hotel in suburban Dallas and voting on the eye test.

Only the notion of that test stops at the doorstep of UCF's growing monster of a program.

Two seasons, 22 straight wins, zero CFP juice.

Notre Dame is No. 3 in the CFP poll and two wins over Syracuse and USC from reaching the playoff. UCF is No. 11 and light-years from making it.

No matter what the game film shows.

"Notre Dame scored late to beat Pitt, and you hear the committee talk about how great it was for them to pull it out," Milton continued during an interview with Bleacher Report earlier this week. "Then what we did to Pitt is ignored."

Milton pauses for a moment, forces a crooked smile and sums up UCF's uphill climb with a Hawaiian dialect as sweet as plumeria in full bloom.

"Thirteen dudes in a room," he says, "hold our fate."

If those dudes (actually, 12 men and one woman) were to take a deep dive on UCF, its magical quarterback and a roster full of players the Big Three in Florida (Miami, FSU and Florida) didn't want, then maybe, just maybe, the eye test wouldn't stop at the Power Five conferences.

They'd see a program that twice in the last five years was allowed inside the inner sanctum of the postseason and twice beat the tar out of the team on the other side of the ball, taking down Baylor in the 2014 Fiesta Bowl and Auburn in the Peach Bowl in January 2018.

They'd see a program that was winless just three years ago but has won five conference championships in the last 11 years. More importantly, they'd see an offense that will score points in bunches on any defense in college football.

How do we know this? None other than Pitt coach Pat Narduzzi, who built his reputation as a defensive guru and is one of the game's most respected defensive coaches, said so after UCF hung 45 on the Panthers. Milton accounted for six touchdowns that afternoon, and UCF was up 45-7 in the fourth quarter before the Knights shut it down.

"The quarterback is an amazing football player," Narduzzi says. "He's got my vote for the Heisman."

Get this: Unless something unexpected happens, Milton won't be in New York City to take part in that momentous occasion, either. He doesn't play for Alabama or Oklahoma or Notre Dame.

He said he had offers from only Hawaii and Navy coming out of high school and was a 3-star recruit whom then-Oregon offensive coordinator Scott Frost tried to convince Ducks coach Mark Helfrich to sign. Helfrich passed. Frost later left Oregon to take the UCF job, and his first call was to Milton to fly nearly halfway across the world to visit Orlando and the Central Florida campus.

"Loved it from the first day I got here," Milton says. "Green everywhere. Reminded me of home without the mountains."

His first thought: This team didn't win a game last year. His second thought (after taking his own deep dive on the program): They've won big before. Why not do it again, only bigger?

"We had a great program with guys buying in and doing everything it took to change the culture and make a difference," Frost says. "And we had [Milton]. It all came together because of him."

That's why it was so hard for Milton to watch Frost leave for his dream job at Nebraska, and why he almost followed Frost to Lincoln.

"Part of me thought about it," Milton says. "But in the end, these guys here, my teammates, I couldn't leave them."

Instead, they grew tighter. Not only did this collection of recruiting castoffs-turned-elite players want to show their home-state schools what they were missing—"[Florida, FSU and Miami] would be a lot better if they had these guys now, right?" Milton says—but they also wanted to show what UCF could be.

When Josh Heupel arrived at Central Florida to replace Frost, the first thing he did was sit Milton down in his office and explain his improbable college story.

Heupel began his career at then-Division I-AA (see: FCS) Weber State and then transferred to Snow College, a junior college in Utah. Oklahoma offensive coordinator Mike Leach found Heupel, and in the first two years of Bob Stoops' tenure in Norman, the Sooners won 20 games. Heupel accounted for 62 touchdowns and led his team to the 2000 national title.

"I wanted [Milton] to know you didn't have to be a big recruit to do big things," Heupel says.

For 10 months now, the UCF administration and its vociferous fans have done everything possible to raise the football program's profile. They've called the Knights national champions and called out Alabama. They've trolled college football personalities (and CFP voters) on social media and pushed for their moment of recognition.

ESPN finally relented last week when it announced its popular Saturday morning College GameDay show would be live from Orlando this week to showcase a critical American Athletic Conference game against Cincinnati.

Another eye-test moment has arrived for UCF, and why would this one be any different? With wins over Cincinnati and South Florida to end the regular season, followed by a victory in the AAC Championship Game, the win streak would grow to 25.

Then what? More "metrics" and "entry points" to wash away the only thing that matters.

"Watch us play," Milton says. "Then make your decision."

Then maybe you'll see the difference, too.

11-16-2018 01:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: UCF QB Goes Off on Notre Dame: 'Can't Tell Me They're Better'
Don't know how much we can do for the American in terms of perception given the mind numbing, arbitrary divide when comparing teams like Illinois and Rutgers with UC and UCF while passing judgment with simple letter designations P or G.

At this point, it's each school for itself and if this continues a drumbeat to get UC, UCF and a few others to a home in the P5 that may be the best we could hope for. On that note, we should be really pleased this isn't UCF and USF, or any other AAC team. We're sharing the spotlight with the favored opponent; but it's a really big spotlight shining brightly in prime time. Who would have imagined three months ago?

Carpe diem.

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2018 01:47 PM by OKIcat.)
11-16-2018 01:46 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
I think he's right. Notre Dame has been mostly unimpressive all year.

11-16-2018 02:02 PM
Advertisement

doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
OVER RATED

MI +5 (9-1)
BALL +8 (4-7)
VANDY +5 (4-6)
WAKE +29 (5-5)
STAN +21 (6-4)
VT +22 (4-5)
PITT +5 (6-4)
NAVY +22 (2-8) WE BEAT THEM 42-0
NW +10 (6-4)
FSU +29 (4-6)

Except for early MI win the other wins are not impressive.

11-16-2018 02:29 PM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

I like UCF stirring things up. Maybe they will be distracted by all the attention, while we slide in and take care of business.

11-16-2018 02:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
(11-16-2018 02:44 PM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  I like UCF stirring things up. Maybe they will be distracted by all the attention, while we slide in and take care of business.

Yep. I hope they are all focused on fighting the college football intelligentsia and engaging the media hoopla this week. Hopefully we'll come out and smack 'em in the head before they know what hit them.

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2018 03:04 PM by Bearhawkeye.)
11-16-2018 03:03 PM
CincyBro Offline
All American

I Root For: " NO GOR "
I think this is gonna be so cool, they have been running their mouths for two years now, first time a national audience gets to tune in and watch and UC goes down and ***** slaps them and hangs a fifty spot on that swiss cheese defense. 04-cheers

11-16-2018 03:22 PM
Advertisement

Cat-Man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Not a smart thing to say before your toughest game of the year. Karma in play here? Open mouth, insert foot.

11-16-2018 03:36 PM
vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:
Look, UC has a chance to win. Well have to play exceptionally well to pull it off. If we win, however, the national media storyline will not be “Hey, Cincy has a very good team”. It will instead be “See, UCF was overrated, the Knights had played nobody, and the Committee was right to have them ranked so low”.

11-16-2018 04:14 PM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(11-16-2018 04:14 PM)vabearcat Wrote:  Look, UC has a chance to win. Well have to play exceptionally well to pull it off. If we win, however, the national media storyline will not be “Hey, Cincy has a very good team”. It will instead be “See, UCF was overrated, the Knights had played nobody, and the Committee was right to have them ranked so low”.

sadly, I agree

11-16-2018 04:40 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
(11-16-2018 04:40 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  
(11-16-2018 04:14 PM)vabearcat Wrote:  Look, UC has a chance to win. Well have to play exceptionally well to pull it off. If we win, however, the national media storyline will not be “Hey, Cincy has a very good team”. It will instead be “See, UCF was overrated, the Knights had played nobody, and the Committee was right to have them ranked so low”.

sadly, I agree
Also agree. And I also think that Notre Dame is a very good team. I think this is a dumb argument.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

11-16-2018 07:57 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(11-16-2018 07:57 PM)mlb Wrote:  
(11-16-2018 04:40 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  

sadly, I agree
Also agree. And I also think that Notre Dame is a very good team. I think this is a dumb argument.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

im mixed on ND....they have some good wins, but they haven't looked good in a lot of those games. But at the end of the day, they did win sooooo.....

11-16-2018 08:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.