Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NIU Attendance Woes
Bookmark and Share
APPdiesel Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
NIU Attendance Woes
I think we all can recognize NIU and what they were able to accomplish making the 2012 Orange Bowl but M-A-A-A-A-N they are struggling right now:

"NIU needed to buy back $273,619 worth of tickets to hit NCAA attendance requirements:

NIU had to purchase 56,345 tickets for a whopping $273,619 in order to comply with the regulations and hit the minimum number of paid tickets for each home game."

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co...uirements/

Scary thing is a lot of G5 programs are a bad hire and 3 or 4 bad seasons away from missing the mark (not that the NCAA would actually enforce it). Look around the MAC -- a lot of them are struggling. This is what happens when you completely sell your schools out to the evil empire to make a buck off TV money.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2018 04:34 PM by APPdiesel.)
10-18-2018 04:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WolfBird Offline
All American

I Root For:
NIU Attendance Woes
Lol the ncaa attendance requirement.

That old thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10-18-2018 04:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
APPdiesel Offline
All American

RE: NIU Attendance Woes
(10-18-2018 04:44 PM)WolfBird Wrote:  Lol the ncaa attendance requirement.

That old thing.

Knowing those shysters they'll let UNC slide on 20 years of systematic academic fraud to keep dumb dumb players eligible but slam NIU for selling fewer than 15k per game.
10-18-2018 04:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AppManDG Offline
Heisman

The same crowd who was saying they should be in the Big 12.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using CSNbbs mobile app
10-18-2018 10:14 PM
Advertisement

seaking4steel Offline
1st String

I Root For: Penn St, App St
After BYU, NIU's next *four* games will be played on a weekday, same with the remaining MAC schools. MACtion has killed most of their school's attendance figures. At least the Sun Belt only plays two weekday conference games.
10-19-2018 08:11 AM
APPdiesel Offline
All American

(10-19-2018 08:11 AM)seaking4steel Wrote:  After BYU, NIU's next *four* games will be played on a weekday, same with the remaining MAC schools. MACtion has killed most of their school's attendance figures. At least the Sun Belt only plays two weekday conference games.
I hope the MAC does something to improve that in their next contract renegotiation. ESPN has destroyed the game day culture of that entire conference. Can the money really be worth it?
10-19-2018 12:43 PM
warhawk09 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bob
They got off light at $4 and change per ticket
10-19-2018 12:44 PM
Advertisement

GEAGLESJAG Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USA & USM
(10-19-2018 12:44 PM)warhawk09 Wrote:  They got off light at $4 and change per ticket

Paying themselves.
10-19-2018 01:01 PM
WolfBird Offline
All American

I Root For:
NIU Attendance Woes
(10-19-2018 12:43 PM)APPdiesel Wrote:  
(10-19-2018 08:11 AM)seaking4steel Wrote:  After BYU, NIU's next *four* games will be played on a weekday, same with the remaining MAC schools. MACtion has killed most of their school's attendance figures. At least the Sun Belt only plays two weekday conference games.
I hope the MAC does something to improve that in their next contract renegotiation. ESPN has destroyed the game day culture of that entire conference. Can the money really be worth it?

What game day culture did they have before they were in tv and Maction became a national hashtag?

10-19-2018 01:15 PM
APPdiesel Offline
All American

(10-19-2018 01:15 PM)WolfBird Wrote:  
(10-19-2018 12:43 PM)APPdiesel Wrote:  

What game day culture did they have before they were in tv and Maction became a national hashtag?

Lol. Good point.
10-19-2018 03:28 PM
Advertisement

warhawk09 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bob
(10-19-2018 01:01 PM)GEAGLESJAG Wrote:  
(10-19-2018 12:44 PM)warhawk09 Wrote:  They got off light at $4 and change per ticket

Paying themselves.

In a way, but that would have had to have been private foundation money and not state funds. There is a minimum you can sell a ticket for in order for it to count; it’s a percentage of the lowest season ticket available.
10-19-2018 05:22 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
What a stupid concept to buy tickets from yourself for last years games to make paid attendance meet some arbitrary number that more schools may have a hard time reaching if the current trend continues of lower attendance across the board.
10-20-2018 12:01 AM
APPdiesel Offline
All American

(10-20-2018 12:01 AM)Usajags Wrote:  What a stupid concept to buy tickets from yourself for last years games to make paid attendance meet some arbitrary number that more schools may have a hard time reaching if the current trend continues of lower attendance across the board.
Imagine if the NCAA actually enforced this. Back up the moving truck, a lot of schools would be going back to the FCS.
10-20-2018 12:26 AM
Advertisement

McLeansvilleAppFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian St
They should either drop the rule or enforce it. To enforce it would create havoc on some conferences and cause serious injury to schools in compliance.

In keeping the rule they could make it a much lower threshold or combine TV viewership with in person attendance.
10-20-2018 06:06 AM
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(10-20-2018 12:01 AM)Usajags Wrote:  What a stupid concept to buy tickets from yourself for last years games to make paid attendance meet some arbitrary number that more schools may have a hard time reaching if the current trend continues of lower attendance across the board.

G5 schools dont have large followings relative to the P5..it just goes to show that schools at this level struggle for relevance. you cant whine about lack of respect on the one hand and yet not be able to get 15,000 fans to come out for a football game..maybe there should be an FBS-B for schools that want to schedule games against the "name" schools but cant compete in terms of fanbase, revenue generated, and media value.
10-20-2018 07:25 AM
wewererebels Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UT Arlington
(10-20-2018 07:25 AM)runamuck Wrote:  

G5 schools dont have large followings relative to the P5..it just goes to show that schools at this level struggle for relevance. you cant whine about lack of respect on the one hand and yet not be able to get 15,000 fans to come out for a football game..maybe there should be an FBS-B for schools that want to schedule games against the "name" schools but cant compete in terms of fanbase, revenue generated, and media value.

Wow. I just wanted to jump in here to show that there are at least two UTA fans on this board. Wouldn't it be great if schools just played for the love of the game? How novel it would be if NCAA rules were minimized in scope, such that all the really stupid attempts to regulate - such as telling the bands when they can play - would be relegated to "sportsmanship suggestions?"

I'm just saying, it's not as much fun as it used to be, and it's no wonder that people are less motivated to attend our games, especially for startup teams and "Slumbelt" conferences. BTW, North Texas is having a great season, causing their attendance to increase almost to the level they have been falsely claiming for years. ':0)
10-20-2018 11:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.