Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Could be big changes for College BBall
SouthernBoiNOLA Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
MyBB Could be big changes for College BBall
So, the NBA G League has announced that they will be offering 125k contracts to "elite prospects" (the max G League salary now is 35k). In other words, the probably top 10-15 H.S. players in the nation will be able to sign a G League contract, make 125 k for a year before they get to be eligible for the NBA draft. The rule states that the player has to be 18 before Sept 15th of the season he is trying to qualify for. How much will this change the recruiting tactics of the Kentucky's and Duke's of today's college basketball landscape? Will most of the top teams now have to go back to the times when a player was on your team for multiple years and had to develop before they could go to the NBA? How does this affect the teams and coaches that are known for developing mulit year players (Wichita State and Villanova comes to mind)? All in all, this will cause a big change in college hoops.

G Leauge to offer $125,000 to elite prospects.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2018 02:41 PM by SouthernBoiNOLA.)
10-18-2018 02:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
RE: Could be big changes for College BBall
So they are offering LESS money than the college teams do?
10-18-2018 03:01 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
I don't think this will change much. Maybe 3-4 guys a year.
10-18-2018 03:34 PM
SouthernBoiNOLA Offline
Special Teams

(10-18-2018 03:34 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  I don't think this will change much. Maybe 3-4 guys a year.
I think the number will be much higher. There are 27 G League teams. I assume each one will have at least one "elite player option" they can offer.
10-18-2018 03:48 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Exposure is going to be important to these guys. Figure out a way to get these G-league games televised and hyped and they will take that path.

I'd be curious to know how much in cash and goods NCAA stars are currently pocketing under the table.

Also, does the apparel provider a player's college uses really sway who they sign with as a pro?
10-18-2018 04:25 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(10-18-2018 02:39 PM)SouthernBoiNOLA Wrote:  So, the NBA G League has announced that they will be offering 125k contracts to "elite prospects" (the max G League salary now is 35k). In other words, the probably top 10-15 H.S. players in the nation will be able to sign a G League contract, make 125 k for a year before they get to be eligible for the NBA draft. The rule states that the player has to be 18 before Sept 15th of the season he is trying to qualify for. How much will this change the recruiting tactics of the Kentucky's and Duke's of today's college basketball landscape? Will most of the top teams now have to go back to the times when a player was on your team for multiple years and had to develop before they could go to the NBA? How does this affect the teams and coaches that are known for developing mulit year players (Wichita State and Villanova comes to mind)? All in all, this will cause a big change in college hoops.

Kentucky, Duke, Kansas and UNC were elite before one and done became a big thing. That won't change.
10-18-2018 09:31 PM
Advertisement

UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
(10-18-2018 09:31 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(10-18-2018 02:39 PM)SouthernBoiNOLA Wrote:  So, the NBA G League has announced that they will be offering 125k contracts to "elite prospects" (the max G League salary now is 35k). In other words, the probably top 10-15 H.S. players in the nation will be able to sign a G League contract, make 125 k for a year before they get to be eligible for the NBA draft. The rule states that the player has to be 18 before Sept 15th of the season he is trying to qualify for. How much will this change the recruiting tactics of the Kentucky's and Duke's of today's college basketball landscape? Will most of the top teams now have to go back to the times when a player was on your team for multiple years and had to develop before they could go to the NBA? How does this affect the teams and coaches that are known for developing mulit year players (Wichita State and Villanova comes to mind)? All in all, this will cause a big change in college hoops.

Kentucky, Duke, Kansas and UNC were elite before one and done became a big thing. That won't change.

Pretty much.

Just like the BCS and CFP for the football bluebloods.
10-18-2018 09:45 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.

Yeah, it will change the way they approach remaining in the BBall elite. It won't knock them out of that status. That kind of school works as places to run on one-and-done, elite NBA prospect Universities for the same reasons that they previously worked at developing players over three or four years. If Kentucky or Duke come knocking on your door, you let them come in and make their pitch. If they are chasing you, you think long and hard before you go to play for Please Have Mercy University where dear old dad was a bit player in a struggling team.
10-18-2018 11:54 PM
bronconick Offline
Hockey Nut

I Root For: WMU/FSU
Paying high school kids 4x the amount than the average early-mid 20's G-Leaguer who already worries they're on their last chance. What could possibly go wrong?
10-19-2018 07:40 AM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
(10-18-2018 03:48 PM)SouthernBoiNOLA Wrote:  
(10-18-2018 03:34 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  I don't think this will change much. Maybe 3-4 guys a year.
I think the number will be much higher. There are 27 G League teams. I assume each one will have at least one "elite player option" they can offer.

I still just don't see it being widespread. I was probably a little low when I said 3-4 but I don't see it being higher than 10.

With the exception of non-qualifiers or guys who just loathe school, I still see Kansas, Duke, UNC, or really anywhere else as being a better deal for elite prospects than spending a year in Sioux Falls or Mississauga or Frisco, TX in front of a few hundred fans.
10-19-2018 08:39 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
Now if only the NCAA would allow players to receive money above the table from agents and apparel companies without losing eligibility we could have a true free market for elite athletic talent.
10-19-2018 09:22 AM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
I like it.

Odds are it does nothing to change the pecking order of college basketball.

What it does is dial down the recruiting heat.

In a normal year there are maybe three guys who are massive difference makers. You miss on one, there are only two more of similar value. If the next tier is 21 players you have more room to miss one and pursue the other.

The easier it is to find a comparable replacement the less need to cheat.
10-19-2018 09:46 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I don't see this as changing recruiting all that much. All it has done is add another competitor - the G-league - that you have to recruit against, and it has established the price you have to pay to win a recruiting battle for the top players. And based on the info coming out in the current trial, it hasn't raised that price at all.

What it could do, however, is move the NCAA to further change its eligibility rules sooner than it would have on its own.
10-19-2018 10:11 AM
SouthernBoiNOLA Offline
Special Teams

I look at it like this. I am say the #10 player coming out of H.S.. More than likely, I would be a mid/late 1st rounder in the NBA after my 1st year. I would go to the G League, make 125k in salary, and probably another 500k in endorsement deals. I could concentrate for a whole year on improving my game with professionals without having to adhere to NCAA rules about how long I can practice, going to class, etc. Now the big downside is that if I get there and I am a bust, then I lose that 1st big NBA contract. I think the G League route works for the right player that is willing to put in the work to get better.
10-19-2018 10:59 AM
SouthernBoiNOLA Offline
Special Teams

(10-18-2018 11:54 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  

Yeah, it will change the way they approach remaining in the BBall elite. It won't knock them out of that status. That kind of school works as places to run on one-and-done, elite NBA prospect Universities for the same reasons that they previously worked at developing players over three or four years. If Kentucky or Duke come knocking on your door, you let them come in and make their pitch. If they are chasing you, you think long and hard before you go to play for Please Have Mercy University where dear old dad was a bit player in a struggling team.
Yeah, the elites will always be the elites. That won't change. But I do think it will make it harder for next level schools to become elite. Take say Witchita State. Gregg Marshall is one of the best at finding those guys that take a few years to develop. He doesn't go after the one and done's. Now he will have to go against Calipari to get the guys that normally Calipari wouldn't go after. The guys that are gonna be at your school 3 year.

I do think it will create a better overall product for College Basketball. Less one and done's means that the quality of the top players might go down, but the fans now gets a little more invested in a player that they have seen develop into a great player over multiple years.
10-19-2018 11:08 AM
mj4life Offline
1st String

I Root For: unc
Right now this appeals to someone who has no interest in college period. I think people need to keep in mind that the majority of players are signed to the league & not to the teams themselves. So every player is free to sign with any NBA team with the exception of 2 way players & any player choosing this path
10-19-2018 11:56 AM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-19-2018 11:56 AM)mj4life Wrote:  Right now this appeals to someone who has no interest in college period. I think people need to keep in mind that the majority of players are signed to the league & not to the teams themselves. So every player is free to sign with any NBA team with the exception of 2 way players & any player choosing this path

These select players who go to the G-league right out of high school won't be free agents, nor will they be bound to the parent of the G-league team to which they are assigned. After one year in the G-league they will automatically be entered in the next NBA draft where the same restrictions of movement would apply to them as now apply to one-and-done players.

What's not yet clear is how the league will assign them to teams. There will be a lot more teams than there are players. How much effort will the G-league team spend on a player likely to be drafted by an NBA team affiliated with a different G-league team?
10-19-2018 12:38 PM
mj4life Offline
1st String

I Root For: unc
(10-19-2018 12:38 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(10-19-2018 11:56 AM)mj4life Wrote:  Right now this appeals to someone who has no interest in college period. I think people need to keep in mind that the majority of players are signed to the league & not to the teams themselves. So every player is free to sign with any NBA team with the exception of 2 way players & any player choosing this path

These select players who go to the G-league right out of high school won't be free agents, nor will they be bound to the parent of the G-league team to which they are assigned. After one year in the G-league they will automatically be entered in the next NBA draft where the same restrictions of movement would apply to them as now apply to one-and-done players.

What's not yet clear is how the league will assign them to teams. There will be a lot more teams than there are players. How much effort will the G-league team spend on a player likely to be drafted by an NBA team affiliated with a different G-league team?
Yeah I know that, I said only 2 way & select contract players are the only ones each NBA team controls with the latter only being for the 5 month season. I'm only trying point out that the NBA developmental league is different than MLB & NHL whose players are under contract to whichever team they get drafted by or sign with
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2018 01:55 PM by mj4life.)
10-19-2018 01:53 PM
kevinwmsn Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
I think it is good that something is there for kids out of high school if they choose not to go to college. I want the NBA to change the rule where you can go straight out of high school or play at least 2 years college, like baseball. Colleges need to change the scholarships where athletes are committed for at least 2 years. I'm been so sick of the 1 and done that I don't watch college basketball till tournament time. Each team loses about 1/2 the roster every year. There's a lot of kids that go pro early and don't get drafted at all.
10-19-2018 04:38 PM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(10-18-2018 03:01 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  So they are offering LESS money than the college teams do?

Nice...and accurate
10-19-2018 05:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.