10-17-2018 09:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
RE: CAA Preseason Poll
I think that's about right.

However, if there had been a second poll ranking teams by their potential to exceed preseason expectations, the Hawks might come in first.

If we had played defense work a lick last year our record would have been a lot better, and that was something that improved a lot by the end of the season. With the new depth on this years team, it could be fun.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2018 07:25 AM by 70shawk.)
10-18-2018 07:25 AM
Gary Miller Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNCW Seahawks
I'm fine with this prediction. One thing that worries me is there are a some very good and experienced backcourts in the conference this year. JWF/Pemberton (Hofstra), Pusica/Occeus (NU), Riller/Pointer (CofC), Mosley/Lewis (JMU). If our guard defense doesn't show a decent amount of improvement from last season we could be looking at another disappointing run. We all know Toews can run an offense but I haven't heard much about his defense. While I think our starting frontcourt with Cacok and Cylla will be the best in the league, guards tend to matter a little more when it comes to getting results.
10-18-2018 08:21 AM
billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

I Root For: UNCW
I agree with what you guys are saying. There are good guard combinations out there in this league. And, UNCW may/will be one of those come conference time. Guard play is critical and you have to have guys that can consistently deliver. NU will be there, C of C will/should be there, will JMU take the next step and have enough overall talent/consistency? The Tribe will/may be there because they seem to always be there, but have to replace their PG. The Tribe lost their PG and that incredible shooter so there may be some adjustments to a great system.

70's had the guts to write it and I believe it, UNCW has tremendous upside this year. After a year to acclimate, Fornes and Taylor are ready to deliver in the backcourt. And, Toews expects to be right there for CAA freshman of the year honors and may have a real chance to do just that because he's going to play a lot and he's good. The frontcourt will be good,maybe the best in the CAA but C of C and NU are always good down low. Yes, UNCW will have to defend much better collectively, and if they can, watch the heck out because they can score. The depth is very good too and there's not a lot of dropoff either (sans Cacok) with talented sophs and freshmen that can play too. It's a different feel right now and a good one.

We will know more a month from now though. Teams that we thought were bad could be good and teams that we feel are good may struggle a bit until figuring it out. You just don't know but talented teams show in the end. Chemistry is key for any team and if that doesn't happen, it won't work.
10-18-2018 11:02 PM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
If JMU shows improvement from last season(which is very likely), there are 6 teams that are title contenders. Those 6 are ranked in the preseason as you see. Northeastern should be the favorite, everyone is back and they should have won last year. COC is going to be good, but probably not quite as good as last year. But, they will still have the significant homecourt tourney advantage against anyone but you guys. Hofstra is going to be good, the only question is will they miss Gustys inside? The Tribe is going to be good again and may be better than last season. There will be plenty of shooters again and Knight and Pierce will be even better than last season. We have a bunch of freshmen that may make a significant impact. For us, even though Cohn was great, the key will be will they defend? If the Tribe plays some defense, they should be good as anybody because they are going to score a lot again. It sounds like you guys are in the mix too. Either way, preseason, Northeastern is the favorite and COC is second choice. I'd be shocked if Delaware, Drexel, Elon or Towson finishes in the top 4. All those teams lost a lot from last season, more than any of the top 6 teams. As usual then, it will be critical to win games against those 4 teams to have a shot at finishing in the top half of the league. Consider me a big UNCW fan until after Christmas when league play starts. Good luck Seahawks. I really like your nonconference schedule. It should be a good year.
10-22-2018 07:50 PM
Advertisement

70shawk Offline
All American

(10-22-2018 07:50 PM)TribePride91 Wrote:  Consider me a big UNCW fan until after Christmas when league play starts.

Amen. It's in every team's self-interest to want every other CAA team to win their OOC contests. I like UNCW's OOC schedule a lot this year..a chance to get wins that mean something.

This first exhibition against Clemson will give us a chance to see something of how our new-found depth an new pieces fit together as we kick the season off.
10-22-2018 09:58 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

(10-22-2018 09:58 PM)70shawk Wrote:  
(10-22-2018 07:50 PM)TribePride91 Wrote:  Consider me a big UNCW fan until after Christmas when league play starts.

Amen. It's in every team's self-interest to want every other CAA team to win their OOC contests. W&M has the chance to be a very good team .

I like UNCW's OOC schedule a lot this year..a chance to get wins that mean something.

This first exhibition against Clemson will give us a chance to see something of how our new-found depth an new pieces fit together as we kick the season off.
10-22-2018 10:02 PM
Gary Miller Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNCW Seahawks
(10-22-2018 07:50 PM)TribePride91 Wrote:  If JMU shows improvement from last season(which is very likely), there are 6 teams that are title contenders. Those 6 are ranked in the preseason as you see. Northeastern should be the favorite, everyone is back and they should have won last year. COC is going to be good, but probably not quite as good as last year. But, they will still have the significant homecourt tourney advantage against anyone but you guys. Hofstra is going to be good, the only question is will they miss Gustys inside? The Tribe is going to be good again and may be better than last season. There will be plenty of shooters again and Knight and Pierce will be even better than last season. We have a bunch of freshmen that may make a significant impact. For us, even though Cohn was great, the key will be will they defend? If the Tribe plays some defense, they should be good as anybody because they are going to score a lot again. It sounds like you guys are in the mix too. Either way, preseason, Northeastern is the favorite and COC is second choice. I'd be shocked if Delaware, Drexel, Elon or Towson finishes in the top 4. All those teams lost a lot from last season, more than any of the top 6 teams. As usual then, it will be critical to win games against those 4 teams to have a shot at finishing in the top half of the league. Consider me a big UNCW fan until after Christmas when league play starts. Good luck Seahawks. I really like your nonconference schedule. It should be a good year.

This is good. For me I have gotten to the point where I don't doubt William & Mary will be a good team. They're more of a well run system than anything, add a player like Knight to that mix and they could be dangerous. Shaver has recruited great guards in the past, I would imagine he's got some more ready to go. Have 2/23 circled on my calendar, always enjoy making the trip up to Williamsburg.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2018 07:57 AM by Gary Miller.)
10-23-2018 07:57 AM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
(10-23-2018 07:57 AM)Gary Miller Wrote:  
(10-22-2018 07:50 PM)TribePride91 Wrote:  If JMU shows improvement from last season(which is very likely), there are 6 teams that are title contenders. Those 6 are ranked in the preseason as you see. Northeastern should be the favorite, everyone is back and they should have won last year. COC is going to be good, but probably not quite as good as last year. But, they will still have the significant homecourt tourney advantage against anyone but you guys. Hofstra is going to be good, the only question is will they miss Gustys inside? The Tribe is going to be good again and may be better than last season. There will be plenty of shooters again and Knight and Pierce will be even better than last season. We have a bunch of freshmen that may make a significant impact. For us, even though Cohn was great, the key will be will they defend? If the Tribe plays some defense, they should be good as anybody because they are going to score a lot again. It sounds like you guys are in the mix too. Either way, preseason, Northeastern is the favorite and COC is second choice. I'd be shocked if Delaware, Drexel, Elon or Towson finishes in the top 4. All those teams lost a lot from last season, more than any of the top 6 teams. As usual then, it will be critical to win games against those 4 teams to have a shot at finishing in the top half of the league. Consider me a big UNCW fan until after Christmas when league play starts. Good luck Seahawks. I really like your nonconference schedule. It should be a good year.

This is good. For me I have gotten to the point where I don't doubt William & Mary will be a good team. They're more of a well run system than anything, add a player like Knight to that mix and they could be dangerous. Shaver has recruited great guards in the past, I would imagine he's got some more ready to go. Have 2/23 circled on my calendar, always enjoy making the trip up to Williamsburg.

Maybe some of us should come to Trask. Not only is it an electric environment, but it is always worth a chance to see Cacok and Knight match up. Hope all you Seahawks are doing well. Was very worried during Florence and hope everybody is ok down there. Hope lots of money is raised for relief this season. Very proud of both you guys and Coach Brownell for the game and hope it is a major success.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2018 04:53 PM by TribePride91.)
10-23-2018 04:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.