Vegas line is UC minus 9.5

09-16-2018 06:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
RE: Ohio U. game
This is our first FBS game of the season to actually be favored, and it should be our most challenging game yet. Let's light 'em up!

09-16-2018 06:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
I don't understand all the love for the Ohio Bobsleds. We should beat these guys decisively. Toledo? That would be another matter entirely.

09-16-2018 07:24 PM
Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
I too feel that we will soundly defeat THE Ohio University.

09-17-2018 05:18 AM
martini7777 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Cincinnati
We should win every MAC game. No disrespect we should have a huge recruiting and size edge on the field. Beating Miami 13 straight is a big accomplishment. You don't want to slip when you are supposed to win.

09-17-2018 06:31 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(09-16-2018 07:24 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  I don't understand all the love for the Ohio Bobsleds. We should beat these guys decisively. Toledo? That would be another matter entirely.

Good offensive team last year who returns nearly the entire unit. Their QB is a legit dual threat and their #1 receiver Papi White averages about 100 yds a game. Defensively they are mediocre. We should run through them like a hot knife through butter.

This game will be the first test to see if our defensive unit is as good as we hope it is.

09-17-2018 06:48 AM
Advertisement

Former Lurker Offline
All American

I Root For: UC...who else?
(09-17-2018 06:31 AM)martini7777 Wrote:  We should win every MAC game. No disrespect we should have a huge recruiting and size edge on the field. Beating Miami 13 straight is a big accomplishment. You don't want to slip when you are supposed to win.

It's very important for recruiting that UC be seen as "a step-up" from the MAC. There was a quote from a MAC coach back in the BK/CBJ years who said something like "UC beats us on every recruit." I don't think that was necessarily true under Tubs, and we all know the result.

09-17-2018 09:20 AM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

(09-17-2018 06:48 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(09-16-2018 07:24 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  I don't understand all the love for the Ohio Bobsleds. We should beat these guys decisively. Toledo? That would be another matter entirely.

Good offensive team last year who returns nearly the entire unit. Their QB is a legit dual threat and their #1 receiver Papi White averages about 100 yds a game. Defensively they are mediocre. We should run through them like a hot knife through butter.

This game will be the first test to see if our defensive unit is as good as we hope it is.

I mean, OU is no Alabama A&M but right now we're 8.5 to 9.5 favorites. I believe we'll beat 'em by at least two touchdowns. CLF will not take them lightly and will have the T.E.A.M. prepared and ready to go unlike the previous Captain Cadaver.

09-17-2018 09:32 AM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

(09-17-2018 09:20 AM)Former Lurker Wrote:  
(09-17-2018 06:31 AM)martini7777 Wrote:  We should win every MAC game. No disrespect we should have a huge recruiting and size edge on the field. Beating Miami 13 straight is a big accomplishment. You don't want to slip when you are supposed to win.

It's very important for recruiting that UC be seen as "a step-up" from the MAC. There was a quote from a MAC coach back in the BK/CBJ years who said something like "UC beats us on every recruit." I don't think that was necessarily true under Tubs, and we all know the result.

To be fair under Tubs we weren't really recruiting our are where we'd run into MAC schools. Given Ficks results so far it looks like he's not having any issues.

09-17-2018 09:34 AM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

(09-17-2018 06:48 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

Exactly. I think most of the love for OU came over the offseason. They were 9-4 last year, had a blowout bowl win and returned the key playmakers particularly on offense. And that Toledo team referenced above, Ohio beat them by 4 TDs.

Now, the team they've put on the field the first two games hasn't been up to what many expected from them. But they are a good offensive team and we'll need to play well to beat them.

09-17-2018 09:49 AM
Former Lurker Offline
All American

I Root For: UC...who else?
(09-17-2018 09:34 AM)RealDeal Wrote:  
(09-17-2018 09:20 AM)Former Lurker Wrote:  

To be fair under Tubs we weren't really recruiting our are where we'd run into MAC schools. Given Ficks results so far it looks like he's not having any issues.

Tubs was recruiting against the Sun Belt. Same thing as the MAC.

09-17-2018 09:58 AM
Advertisement

OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I remember a Miami fan posting here several years ago after visiting Nippert for his team's ritual beating by UC and commenting on the fact that UC had become a big-time college football experience now compared with what he saw on road trips to other MAC schools.

I believe we were backsliding in that regard against the MAC under Tubs but Fickell has not only regained that lost recruiting ground in Ohio and bordering states but may be exceeding past results regionally by taking more P5 talent. The point in this thread is well taken: UC must maintain separation from the rest of Ohio outside of Columbus and that's really just the MAC. That conference has limited resources and exposure and there is substantial objective data to support my point. Just as UC seeks to distance itself academically from that cohort, the same must continue athletically to compete at a level we all aspire to see.

09-17-2018 10:18 AM
TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

For some really cool history on the UC-OU rivalry (yes, it used to be a rivalry), check out this OhVarsity blog post. I had no idea that OU is our 3rd most played opponent in UC football history, behind only Miami and Louisville.

09-17-2018 10:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(09-17-2018 10:23 AM)TubaCat Wrote:  For some really cool history on the UC-OU rivalry (yes, it used to be a rivalry), check out this OhVarsity blog post. I had no idea that OU is our 3rd most played opponent in UC football history, behind only Miami and Louisville.

Spencer did a good job with that one- but yes this used to be a pretty big rivalry back in the day.

UC used to have an event called Migration Day, where the students and fans used to take a train to an away game. Many times Ohio was selected for Migration Day and if you look at old yearbooks we would send a few thousand to Athens.

The schools stopped playing in 1981 for some reason. This game is going to give UC some exposure across the state this week. The media in Columbus follows Ohio a little due to the fact Athens technically is just outside their media footprint and there are a lot of Ohio alums in Central Ohio.

09-17-2018 10:31 AM
TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

ESPN is currently giving us 83.5% chance to win. OU is giving up about 600 yards per game, 430 passing and 170 rushing.

I think this game is pretty much in BDF's hands: will we air it out, racking up 600+ yards and 50+ points, potentially creating a 56 - 42 kind of shootout? Or will we focus more on grinding it out, slowing down the game, keeping the score low and exhausting their defense to get a final score like 35 - 24? I think we could go for either approach and still win without too much trouble.

09-17-2018 12:00 PM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
If you are OU you play it like the Miami game. You stack everything up front and dare UC to beat you down the field. I think OU will be the biggest challenge our defense has faced. I think our offense is at best unproven and still might be a lower end offense in college football. A decent offense should be able to move the ball all over the place on OU. I hope we see just that.

09-17-2018 12:13 PM
Advertisement

OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(09-17-2018 12:13 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  If you are OU you play it like the Miami game. You stack everything up front and dare UC to beat you down the field. I think OU will be the biggest challenge our defense has faced. I think our offense is at best unproven and still might be a lower end offense in college football. A decent offense should be able to move the ball all over the place on OU. I hope we see just that.

Might not be bad for UC to come out throwing in that first series. A few completions/first downs would put OU back on its heals if they're all geared up to crowd the line of scrimmage against the rush. And that opens up the defense for Warren to punish them.

09-17-2018 12:20 PM
marcuscan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats + UF
I think we come out and control this from start to finish. Put me in the category of fans who never quite got all the fear of the Bobkittens.

They're a fine MAC team, no doubt. But much like most teams....they have a defense size & skill problem. Lucky for us....we have a whole lotta size on the OL and a run oriented game plan to take full advantage of that issue.

mc

09-17-2018 01:08 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

(09-17-2018 01:08 PM)marcuscan Wrote:  I think we come out and control this from start to finish. Put me in the category of fans who never quite got all the fear of the Bobkittens.

Ohio beat FCS Howard by 6 points 38-32. Howard. Ok, they played Virginia better on a "neutral field" at Vanderbilt but still lost by 14 points. UCF and USF they ain't. "Release the Kraken!"

09-17-2018 02:22 PM
bearcat72 Offline
2nd String

I'll show my age here. I was a Frosh at the 1968 UC vs OU game that was 60-48. The article about the history doesn't state that the game was called after a skirmish broke out with some time left in the 4th qtr. Somebody will refresh my lost memory of the name of the OU quarterback. UC's defense was never that good that game or the entire season. Greg Cook, Jim O'Brien and Tom Rossely ran up some unbelievable statistics in that game.

09-17-2018 03:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.