Bookmark and Share
thebearcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati
Some thoughts on being 2-0
I wrote about my thoughts here
https://mikedropsports.com/let-it-fly-dr...2-0-start/

But to summarize,
-Need to see more from passing game. I know circumstances have played a role in first two games, but we really need to show a deep threat
-No question or circumstances here - defense IS legit!
-Future of this program is FINALLY super bright!!
-Schedule is so soft and so favorable but I dont think we start 8-0 like some have suggested. we'll slip up somewhere (hope I'm wrong) but 8-4 is a realistic goal for this year with much more to come in future years

09-12-2018 09:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
RE: Some thoughts on being 2-0
Has anyone else caught their self looking ahead, fearfully anticipating what P5 coaches are likely to be fired after the 2019 season?

09-12-2018 10:22 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

(09-12-2018 10:22 AM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  Has anyone else caught their self looking ahead, fearfully anticipating what P5 coaches are likely to be fired after the 2019 season?

Fickell has lived his entire life in Ohio, (other than a few months in the Saints' training camp before tearing his ACL). And the dude has 6 young kids. I'm thinking the only jobs he'd even consider are in adjacent states, or MAYBE Illinois.

Are Purdue/Illinois/Pitt willing to pay more than UC? Probably. But Purdue and Illinois are 100% rebuilds. The first year or two will be brutal.

Fickell's goal is to be Urban's successor at OSU. Will a few 8-win seasons at Purdue or Illinois be good enough to get the OSU job? Is it easier winning 10 games in the American or 8 games in the Big 10? And what if Urban leaves the year after Fickell accepts the Illinois/Purdue job, after Fickell goes 4-8 in a rebuilding year? Then he's screwed.

Pitt is the only one I'd keep an eye on. But Narduzzi has done great so far - good enough not to get fired, but not good enough to get hired away by a bigger school.

09-12-2018 10:47 AM
Banter Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(09-12-2018 10:47 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(09-12-2018 10:22 AM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  Has anyone else caught their self looking ahead, fearfully anticipating what P5 coaches are likely to be fired after the 2019 season?
Fickell's goal is to be Urban's successor at OSU.

I honestly would not put it passed Fickell to stay in Cincinnati until the OSU door closes. I don't think Fickell will get another opportunity at OSU, unless he pulls off some crazy win totals.

Once/if the OSU door closes I could see him chasing for a bigger program, but I doubt it is a Big 10 bottom dweller gig.

Notre Dame, and Pittsburgh are very likely if the timing is right. Dragging around 6 kids to multiple stops seems like something the Fickell family is not interested in. They will likely stay within close driving distance of Columbus until the kids are older.

Granted this is an age of stupid money being thrown around so Fickell could leave for Virginia, Illinois, or Arizona tomorrow, and I would not be surprised.

09-12-2018 10:57 AM
scvanguard1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincy, Oklahoma
Is anyone else impressed by the way this team has tackled in the first two games? Massive improvement.

09-12-2018 10:57 AM
Banter Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(09-12-2018 10:57 AM)scvanguard1 Wrote:  Is anyone else impressed by the way this team has tackled in the first two games? Massive improvement.

There was a good amount of improvement in tackling last year, but I think there were too many starters who were stuck in their old ways/lacked talent for it to be as noticeable as this year.

The defense has not played a great offense yet, but they actually play with an attitude and intensity that we have not seen since Butch Jones's teams.

09-12-2018 11:00 AM
Advertisement

BearcatBeta Offline
All American

I Root For: $ in my mailbox
beats 1-1, beats 0-2. Other than mild surprise vs UCLA, a lot more to prove.

09-12-2018 11:11 AM
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs
(09-12-2018 11:00 AM)Banter Wrote:  
(09-12-2018 10:57 AM)scvanguard1 Wrote:  Is anyone else impressed by the way this team has tackled in the first two games? Massive improvement.

There was a good amount of improvement in tackling last year, but I think there were too many starters who were stuck in their old ways/lacked talent for it to be as noticeable as this year.

The defense has not played a great offense yet, but they actually play with an attitude and intensity that we have not seen since Butch Jones's teams.

Would you say they're holding the rope?

09-12-2018 11:19 AM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

Not at this point being 2-0 coming off a 4-8 season. I think Fickell will have to do a whole lot more winning to get to a point where he's a target for any meaningful P5 school.

09-12-2018 11:20 AM
djtothemoney Offline
2nd String

Nope. If he goes, he goes, that's the name of the game. I'm just going to enjoy the journey.

09-12-2018 11:27 AM
TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
Nice write-up, Mike. I think I agree with you on all counts.

I'm not concerned about BDF leaving anytime soon though... for reasons others have mentioned, I could only imagine him taking the OSU, ND, Penn State, or maybe MSU jobs. If he delivers us to the promised land, I think UC is finally prepared to compete with the Purdues and Indianas of the world for coach salaries, even in the age of the P5/G5 divide. They might have more TV money laying around, but keeping BDF would simply be much more important to us than it would be for them.

For us, keeping a great coach could be life or death for our program... for Purdue, they just need some guy to get them to 6 - 6 most years to keep fans satiated.

09-12-2018 11:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
2-0 is great when 80% expected 1-1 and 10% thought 0-2

Tackling better. 3rd down D better.

Need to stretch the field.

Few turnovers.

In last 7 quarters gave up 1 TD.

09-12-2018 12:02 PM
thebearcat Offline
Special Teams

(09-12-2018 11:00 AM)Banter Wrote:  The defense has not played a great offense yet, but they actually play with an attitude and intensity that we have not seen since Butch Jones's teams.

this was a point I was trying to get across - we havent played a great offense yet, but not every offense we played in 2017 was good and we sucked. That ECU game last year was extremely hard to watch. Tulsa was hard to watch. So the fact that we are tackling and making the simplest plays just feels like an improvement!

09-12-2018 12:52 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

Yep, almost guaranteed if UC keeps winning, during the next game on any ESPN channel it will be discussed during their in-game drivel.

My feeling is Fickell sticks around at least 3-4 years, even if he's wildly successful. After that, money talks and the P5 schools have a license to print it. It may be helpful that he's a native of Ohio and is close to home.

09-12-2018 12:56 PM
natibeast21 Offline
Banned

I Root For: UC, Ohio State
My thoughts on 2-0 is if the season ended today then we are multiple co-championships of 2018 College Football season!!! Realistically, great start, see a lot of progress, still have some doubts with this team. Improvement in the passing game will be a huge +. As of now I expect 7-5 at the minimum with 8-4 or 9-3 being a phenomenal comeback year. Still 6-6 is not out of questions from what I’ve seen.

09-12-2018 01:07 PM
DownOnRohs Offline
Heisman

It is awesome to watch.

09-12-2018 02:28 PM
Advertisement

UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Love what I've seen thus far in terms of the DEE, the running game, and the swagger. But, there's still 10 games to go so I remain in my "one game at a time" mode. I'm really circling the Ohio U game on my calendar because if we get past that one, we will carry the mo' of 4-0 into conference play. The last time we started off at least 4-0 was in 2007 & 2009 under the Kelly regime and 2012 with Jonesy. Really pulling for Big D Fick (that sounds funny) to have a second season turnaround like Jones did.

09-12-2018 04:52 PM
stpnum4 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(09-12-2018 11:40 AM)TubaCat Wrote:  Nice write-up, Mike. I think I agree with you on all counts.

I'm not concerned about BDF leaving anytime soon though... for reasons others have mentioned, I could only imagine him taking the OSU, ND, Penn State, or maybe MSU jobs. If he delivers us to the promised land, I think UC is finally prepared to compete with the Purdues and Indianas of the world for coach salaries, even in the age of the P5/G5 divide. They might have more TV money laying around, but keeping BDF would simply be much more important to us than it would be for them.

For us, keeping a great coach could be life or death for our program... for Purdue, they just need some guy to get them to 6 - 6 most years to keep fans satiated.

I'm always a little surprised to see how quickly head coaches are willing to jump to "bigger" programs. Then you see Kevin Sumlin getting blasted at Houston, Tom Herman is feeling the heat at Texas and a guy like Butch Jones spends his days pouring coffee for Nick Saban.

At some point those guys have to wonder, "is the grass always greener?" Perhaps Fick sees that. We'll see.

09-12-2018 05:27 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(09-12-2018 05:27 PM)stpnum4 Wrote:  
(09-12-2018 11:40 AM)TubaCat Wrote:  Nice write-up, Mike. I think I agree with you on all counts.

I'm always a little surprised to see how quickly head coaches are willing to jump to "bigger" programs. Then you see Kevin Sumlin getting blasted at Houston, Tom Herman is feeling the heat at Texas and a guy like Butch Jones spends his days pouring coffee for Nick Saban.

At some point those guys have to wonder, "is the grass always greener?" Perhaps Fick sees that. We'll see.

Even when they see it, if they have a lick of sense, they can pour coffee for the Saban's of the world knowing they have seven figures wisely invested, often before age 50.

09-12-2018 06:40 PM
stpnum4 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(09-12-2018 06:40 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  
(09-12-2018 05:27 PM)stpnum4 Wrote:  

I'm always a little surpri
sed to see how quickly head coaches are willing to jump to "bigger" programs. Then you see Kevin Sumlin getting blasted at Houston, Tom Herman is feeling the heat at Texas and a guy like Butch Jones spends his days pouring coffee for Nick Saban.

Even when they see it, if they have a lick of sense, they can pour coffee for the Saban's of the world knowing they have seven figures wisely invested, often before age 50.

You are right. But that can't be too easy on the old ego.

09-12-2018 07:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.