Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coastal and App St guys
Bookmark and Share
WARDAWG93 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM Warhawks
Coastal and App St guys
and all other SBC fans in the potential strike zone;

Praying for you guys to be safe. Looks like you're going to be taking the full force of Hurricane Florence so please listen to the people in charge and don't wait too late to leave.
09-10-2018 04:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
RE: Coastal and App St guys
(09-10-2018 04:29 PM)WARDAWG93 Wrote:  and all other SBC fans in the potential strike zone;

Praying for you guys to be safe. Looks like you're going to be taking the full force of Hurricane Florence so please listen to the people in charge and don't wait too late to leave.

My dad, in Myrtle Beach, began his preparations by heading to the ABC Store. Let it be known that much planning and care is being taken by most residents.
09-10-2018 04:40 PM
CC Eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga. Southern
(09-10-2018 04:40 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  
(09-10-2018 04:29 PM)WARDAWG93 Wrote:  and all other SBC fans in the potential strike zone;

My dad, in Myrtle Beach, began his preparations by heading to the ABC Store. Let it be known that much planning and care is being taken by most residents.

It never ceases to amaze me how so many people sitting directly in the projected path of storms end up underprepared while there are ransacked grocery stores 200 miles away from any real danger.
09-10-2018 04:54 PM
ManOnABuffalo Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Have family on the NC coast IVO Wilmington, they are all boarding up and bailing out by tommorow night to beat the crazy traffic moving up I-40 and I-95.
09-10-2018 05:42 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(09-10-2018 04:54 PM)CC Eagle Wrote:  

It never ceases to amaze me how so many people sitting directly in the projected path of storms end up underprepared while there are ransacked grocery stores 200 miles away from any real danger.

I think Charleston and Savannah are positioned worse than Myrtle Beach for hurricanes. A tropical storm would flood the downtown area of Charleston. My dad is about 5 miles inland. There are no trees around or power lines so the only threat really is projectiles from wind. Flooding won't be a concern in this particular area.
09-10-2018 07:22 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(09-10-2018 05:42 PM)ManOnABuffalo Wrote:  Have family on the NC coast IVO Wilmington, they are all boarding up and bailing out by tommorow night to beat the crazy traffic moving up I-40 and I-95.

Been driving back and forth between Durham and Greensboro for work the past two weeks. I suspect the next couple days will be on par with the Friday before labor day. Looks like winds are forecast to be around 60 mph in this area on Friday. Supposed to get a few inches of rain before the Hurricane gets here, between tonight and Thursday.
09-10-2018 07:24 PM
Advertisement

appstate77 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: app state
Thank you. Left our home in Little River SC and am now clear of the area with family above Columbia. Hiways N out of Myrtle Beach-Conway are already jammed up ahead of tomorrow's evac order.
09-10-2018 08:52 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
Remember, for every storm you need to prepare for...there will be 10-15 that you dont need to prepare for. Only problem is...you dont know which is which till they hit. It has been 3 decades since the last major surge storm on the coast. From an old hand at this. If you know anyone dumb enough to stay in a coastal evacuation zone against a Cat 4.....tell them to put an axe in their attic so they can chop themselves out if they get trapped by rising water.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2018 09:04 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
09-10-2018 09:03 PM
Loyaleagle Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GA Southern
(09-10-2018 07:22 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  

I think Charleston and Savannah are positioned worse than Myrtle Beach for hurricanes. A tropical storm would flood the downtown area of Charleston. My dad is about 5 miles inland. There are no trees around or power lines so the only threat really is projectiles from wind. Flooding won't be a concern in this particular area.

Downtown Savannah is actually 20 miles inland and most of that area is on the highest ground in the county. River Street could be wiped out, as well as the islands to the east and southeast of town. Streets in the downtown area would certainly be flooded due to rain, but rising water in town shouldn't be too much of a problem. The suburbs to the east and south could be destroyed, however (not from this storm unless something really unexpected happened, but if a major storm came close to us).
09-10-2018 09:03 PM
stingingeagle Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ga Southern
That's where my wife lived before she moved back home. Conway is a charming place, always loved visiting there. Now if I could remember that awesome, bougie arty/modern restaurant in Conway that I ate lunch at, I'd love to go back... Also, I grew up in Columbia. Little place called Irmo. That's where I was when Hugo hit - a humble reminder that a few hundred miles inland doesn't mean you won't get much of anything... Be safe.

(09-10-2018 08:52 PM)appstate77 Wrote:  Thank you. Left our home in Little River SC and am now clear of the area with family above Columbia. Hiways N out of Myrtle Beach-Conway are already jammed up ahead of tomorrow's evac order.
09-11-2018 03:03 PM
Tealblood Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CCU
Rivertown Bistro
09-11-2018 03:09 PM
Advertisement

stingingeagle Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ga Southern
Yes! Awesome, thanks. I felt like that Seinfeld episode where the guy was looking for that burger joint.

(09-11-2018 03:09 PM)Tealblood Wrote:  Rivertown Bistro
09-11-2018 03:13 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
For Ike they had free transportation from peoples homes that would take them to free room and board for those that needed it. After Katrina it was found many stayed behind because they were too poor or disabled and couldn't leave. So Texas tried to improve that. Some people still stayed cause they will never leave and want to protect their stuff from looting. Screw that. Leave. Kids died and rescue workers risked their lives to go get morons that stayed. Get out. There is zero excuse to stay.
09-11-2018 03:31 PM
AstroCajun Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
We've lived through enough of these in Louisiana. Sending you guys in NC plenty of thoughts and prayers. (and possibly the Cajun Navy)
09-11-2018 04:34 PM
sdcritter Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
I’m trying to convince my son who is in Bailey, NC, to get his butt further inland and take my grandchildren with him. He’s being stubborn. All of you folks get somewhere safe.
09-11-2018 06:00 PM
HCJag Offline
All American

I Root For: South Alabama
(09-11-2018 06:00 PM)sdcritter Wrote:  I’m trying to convince my son who is in Bailey, NC, to get his butt further inland and take my grandchildren with him. He’s being stubborn. All of you folks get somewhere safe.

Either hit the road and face getting caught up in the gridlock and possibly driving hundreds of miles to find a motel room; or fortify, hunker down and protect what belongs to you. If you're in a flood zone or within 10 miles of the beach it's a no brainer but otherwise it's a tough decision.

Good luck to those in the path. Hopefully it'll weaken some.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2018 07:57 PM by HCJag.)
09-11-2018 07:53 PM
Advertisement

GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
Leaving this here just in case anyone might be interested.
09-11-2018 08:14 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
(09-10-2018 09:03 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Remember, for every storm you need to prepare for...there will be 10-15 that you dont need to prepare for. Only problem is...you dont know which is which till they hit. It has been 3 decades since the last major surge storm on the coast. From an old hand at this. If you know anyone dumb enough to stay in a coastal evacuation zone against a Cat 4.....tell them to put an axe in their attic so they can chop themselves out if they get trapped by rising water.
its hard to believe its been 13 years since that mad ***** Katrina. That was the last good one we had. 60 miles off the coast we got what you guys would on a cat 2.
09-11-2018 08:20 PM
SOT1977 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM
(09-11-2018 03:31 PM)slycat Wrote:  For Ike they had free transportation from peoples homes that would take them to free room and board for those that needed it. After Katrina it was found many stayed behind because they were too poor or disabled and couldn't leave. So Texas tried to improve that. Some people still stayed cause they will never leave and want to protect their stuff from looting. Screw that. Leave. Kids died and rescue workers risked their lives to go get morons that stayed. Get out. There is zero excuse to stay.

Part of the evacuation problem with Katrina is that many potential evacuees didn't want to ride the school buses that were pulled up to the Superdome. They wanted to ride on the Greyhound-style buses that had been there earlier. The stigma of the school buses was something they didn't want so they went back home. The unused school buses ended up getting flooded out and being on the news.

The only advice I have is to not leave your pets.
09-11-2018 08:39 PM
Florida RedWolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: arkansas state

When you have lived around hurricanes and the hype that comes with them, you can began to understand why folks stay. I generally stayed at home rather than leave. Tough to know just where it will hit and it is generally very difficult to get back to your home after the storm if its in the hitting area. Have your generators, water, etc and stay inside away from windows.
09-12-2018 04:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.