UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

USA Today: College football guarantee games: A gig economy worth more than $175M...
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Exclamation USA Today: College football guarantee games: A gig economy worth more than $175M...
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2018 01:29 PM by WesternBlazer.)
08-29-2018 01:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

RE: USA Today: College football guarantee games: A gig economy worth more than $175M...
Thanks Mark. Did Mark offer 40% of our concession sales as well?
08-29-2018 01:36 PM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
RE: USA Today: College football guarantee games: A gig economy worth more than $175M...
(08-29-2018 01:36 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  Thanks Mark. Did Mark offer 40% of our concession sales as well?

Well you do have to consider that there may have been other suitors for Savanah State, and he had to make sure we got the secured, say before Virginia offered us 1M to come to Charlottesville and get a check and a W.
08-29-2018 03:23 PM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
Well THATS why we moved it to Thursday...so thereā€™d be less money that we have to give away
08-29-2018 04:08 PM
Advertisement

thebernreuter Offline
in trouble

Savannah State gets 40% of sales by its ticket office, not 40% of all ticket sales. That might not be what it means, but that is what it says.

So they get to keep 40% of the revenue from maybe 100 tickets.
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2018 09:13 AM by thebernreuter.)
08-30-2018 09:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thebernreuter Offline
in trouble

My interpretation:

Savannah State bought an allocation of tickets to sell. Those tickets are $20, but UAB let them have them for $12, allowing them to keep the remaining $8 (40%) from each ticket they sell. That is if they choose to sell them at cost.

What probably happened is they didn't sell a lot of tickets anyway, so we got a ton of $20 tickets back for the east side of the stadium, many of which will not be bought by anyone. So it doesn't matter.

You're welcome, Mark.
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2018 09:29 AM by thebernreuter.)
08-30-2018 09:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
(08-30-2018 09:26 AM)thebernreuter Wrote:  My interpretation:

Savannah State bought an allocation of tickets to sell. Those tickets are $20, but UAB let them have them for $12, allowing them to keep the remaining $8 (40%) from each ticket they sell. That is if they choose to sell them at cost.

What probably happened is they didn't sell a lot of tickets anyway, so we got a ton of $20 tickets back for the east side of the stadium, many of which will not be bought by anyone. So it doesn't matter.

You're welcome, Mark.

hey, hey, hey...dont try to bring logic and stats in to defend that creep
08-30-2018 09:39 AM
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
I would suspect there are more than a few programs for whom the "money games" are critical to their bottom line. EX: Did the $1.5 million paid by Bama to FAU play a role in that program being able to hire their present FBHC?
In Alabama we are accustomed to the 2 P5 "high roller" Athletic Departments who annually spend about $1 million on football alone while spending about $200,000 per athlete. Bama just recently announced a $5 million upgrade food service facility for their athletes.
Like it or not, MONEY is the root of all athletic success at all levels.
08-30-2018 01:45 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
That 40% of SSU tickets sold probably wouldn't have fed the band Little Caesar's.
09-02-2018 12:25 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(08-30-2018 01:45 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  I would suspect there are more than a few programs for whom the "money games" are critical to their bottom line. EX: Did the $1.5 million paid by Bama to FAU play a role in that program being able to hire their present FBHC?
In Alabama we are accustomed to the 2 P5 "high roller" Athletic Departments who annually spend about $1 million on football alone while spending about $200,000 per athlete. Bama just recently announced a $5 million upgrade food service facility for their athletes.
Like it or not, MONEY is the root of all athletic success at all levels.

Since you insist on injecting that school into the conversation, LSU paid UAB $400,000 in 2000.

In 2018, Little Nicky Saban would have to come off over a million to get beat at home again.
09-02-2018 12:26 AM
Advertisement

blazinrunner Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB & Marlins
(08-29-2018 03:23 PM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  
(08-29-2018 01:36 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  Thanks Mark. Did Mark offer 40% of our concession sales as well?

Well you do have to consider that there may have been other suitors for Savanah State, and he had to make sure we got the secured, say before Virginia offered us 1M to come to Charlottesville and get a check and a W.

We supposedly could have played Virginia?
09-03-2018 12:45 AM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
(09-03-2018 12:45 AM)blazinrunner Wrote:  
(08-29-2018 03:23 PM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  

We supposedly could have played Virginia?

That's been the water cooler talk for 3-4 months now.
09-03-2018 07:48 AM
thebernreuter Offline
in trouble

(09-02-2018 12:25 AM)Smaug Wrote:  That 40% of SSU tickets sold probably wouldn't have fed the band Little Caesar's.

I was surprised. They drew pretty well. I don't know how many of those tickets were bought through SSU though, versus just buying them right before the game.
09-04-2018 03:48 AM
Advertisement

ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
I counted about 20 dressed in SSU gear through the binoculars. More than I thought.
09-04-2018 04:25 AM
thebernreuter Offline
in trouble

(09-04-2018 04:25 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  I counted about 20 dressed in SSU gear through the binoculars. More than I thought.

Oh my bad I thought it was more like a few hundred. I walked past the east stands midway through 2nd quarter. I assumed people not wearing obvious UAB stuff were SSU fans. Maybe not.
09-04-2018 04:30 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
No not everyone that sits over there is a fan of the other team. There is no home and away side. It's all UAB. I have several seats over there myself. There were only roughly 20 wearing SSU gear. The rest were casual fans and UAB fans.
09-04-2018 09:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.