Who’s got the upper hand now?
08-22-2018 06:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
RE: Who’s got the upper hand now?
(08-22-2018 06:31 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  http://www.espn.com/college-football/sto...l-proposal

Lol

I suppose it is true...

At this point, the Longhorns need to play the Aggies more than the Aggies need to play the Longhorns.
08-22-2018 08:45 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
They need to schedule a series in 2028-2029 and go from there. All this bickering and back and forth when they both know both schools are already booked is ridiculous.
08-23-2018 07:31 AM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(08-23-2018 07:31 AM)Gamecock Wrote:  They need to schedule a series in 2028-2029 and go from there. All this bickering and back and forth when they both know both schools are already booked is ridiculous.

+1

Who cares who needs who more - the GAME needs these teams to play each other!
08-23-2018 07:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
Agreed. This game needs to be an annual series.
08-23-2018 08:05 AM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
What I want to know is this: where does this put A&M should the Longhorns decide to try join the SEC?
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2018 10:23 AM by DawgNBama.)
08-23-2018 10:20 AM
Advertisement

OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

I Root For: Canine & Avian
All SEC schools, including the West, agreed to play at least one ooc P5 opponent per season. A few do play two sometimes. Texas and Texas A&M need to end the public posturing, and work out a few future games for the time-being. It profits them both to renew and sustain this rivalry, even if they can't work it out immediately for every year.
08-23-2018 11:40 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(08-23-2018 10:20 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  What I want to know is this: where does this put A&M should the Longhorns decide to try join the SEC?

I honestly don't think they'd be against it.

In an ideal world, they would probably prefer A&M be the only SEC school in Texas, but UT brings a great deal of economic value and the networks will probably push for it.

That and it makes playing the rivalry game so much easier. They can charge more for season ticket packages if UT comes to College Station every other year.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2018 12:54 PM by AllTideUp.)
08-23-2018 12:54 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(08-23-2018 12:54 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(08-23-2018 10:20 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  What I want to know is this: where does this put A&M should the Longhorns decide to try join the SEC?

In an ideal world, they would probably prefer A&M be the only SEC school in Texas, but UT brings a great deal of economic value and the networks will probably push for it.

That and it makes playing the rivalry game so much easier. They can charge more for season ticket packages if UT comes to College Station every other year.

I totally agree. And quite frankly what better cover could these two massive egos have to reinstate a game that neither claims they have to play, when both know it is in their own best interest to do so, than to have an outside entity like the SEC essentially force them back into it by taking Texas into the fold. I might add it's also a great thing to lay at ESPN's feet should the SEC leadership simply say the network made us an offer we couldn't refuse with regard to taking Texas.

That way Texas doesn't appear to knuckle under, A&M doesn't appear to give in, and 28 million people in the State of Texas get an annual game they loved back.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2018 03:53 PM by JRsec.)
08-23-2018 03:51 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
(08-23-2018 03:51 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(08-23-2018 12:54 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

I totally agree. And quite frankly what better cover could these two massive egos have to reinstate a game that neither claims they have to play, when both know it is in their own best interest to do so, than to have an outside entity like the SEC essentially force them back into it by taking Texas into the fold. I might add it's also a great thing to lay at ESPN's feet should the SEC leadership simply say the network made us an offer we couldn't refuse with regard to taking Texas.

That way Texas doesn't appear to knuckle under, A&M doesn't appear to give in, and 28 million people in the State of Texas get an annual game they loved back.

Arkansas only agrees to this if we get the chance to whoop both their butts yearly.04-cheers
08-23-2018 05:55 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Facts:

UT needs this game more than we do and came begging for it back and we told them too bad, go sleep in the bed you made.

We don't care if CFB "wants it back" there's hundreds of other rivalry games for you to watch

No A&M president who wants to keep their job will vote yes to letting UT into the SEC because as soon as they did they'd be fired. It's that simple.
08-23-2018 10:01 PM
Advertisement

P5PACSEC Offline
Banned

I Root For: P5- Texas Tech
(08-23-2018 10:01 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  Facts:

UT needs this game more than we do and came begging for it back and we told them too bad, go sleep in the bed you made.

We don't care if CFB "wants it back" there's hundreds of other rivalry games for you to watch

No A&M president who wants to keep their job will vote yes to letting UT into the SEC because as soon as they did they'd be fired. It's that simple.

A&M will need a new president because Tech and UT are joining the SEC and you will like it. TCU might be in trouble but true A&M grads need to get ready for the Red Raider/Horn invasion of the SEC.
08-23-2018 10:48 PM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
Who’s got the upper hand now?
(08-23-2018 10:48 PM)P5PACSEC Wrote:  

A&M will need a new president because Tech and UT are joining the SEC and you will like it. TCU might be in trouble but true A&M grads need to get ready for the Red Raider/Horn invasion of the SEC.

Did Texas object when A&M left and make them take a little brother- nope

A&M will support Texas leaving if they ever choose to
08-23-2018 10:56 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(08-23-2018 10:56 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  
(08-23-2018 10:48 PM)P5PACSEC Wrote:  

Did Texas object when A&M left and make them take a little brother- nope

A&M will support Texas leaving if they ever choose to

Did UT object? Yes.

Did they make them take a little brother? That question doesn't make sense. The TX Legislature could wield influence because they own the purse strings, but UT had no say in the matter. Even if they did have a say, they wouldn't have wanted another TX school to go to the SEC for several reasons.

I do believe A&M would support a UT move into the SEC even if a fair share of Aggie fans would raise hell over it. It's an economic question and A&M's position is only strengthened by UT's inclusion.
08-23-2018 11:28 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I fully get bitter rivalries.

Alabama and Auburn didn't play for about 40 years despite sharing not one, but two conferences during that span.

But that was also a very different time. Economics are a much bigger driver now. Even without that reality, Bama and Auburn eventually started playing each other again.
08-23-2018 11:35 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-23-2018 11:35 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

I fully get bitter rivalries.

Alabama and Auburn didn't play for about 40 years despite sharing not one, but two conferences during that span.

But that was also a very different time. Economics are a much bigger driver now. Even without that reality, Bama and Auburn eventually started playing each other again.

And the conference keeps all of that lovely revenue if the game is in house. I could even foresee the Lone Star Trophy being awarded the overall winner of the UT/A&M, UT/TTU, and TTU/A&M games.

That's 3 opportunities during 9 weeks of the season to triple dip the 28 million viewers of the state of Texas.

It boosts the SECN south of the border in 22 Mexican cities, it gives the SEC ad leverage in Texas which would generate quite a nice sum for all, and it gives ESPN all they wanted. And from a revenue perspective realignment for the SEC is over because with UT there's nobody in the ACC that could add to our bottom line.

Arkansas, L.S.U., Mississippi, Mississippi State, Missouri, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech

Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

That's an East and West division strong and deep enough to each merit their own channel on the SECN. Charlotte provides the Eastern portion and the LHN becomes the Western portion.
08-23-2018 11:49 PM
Advertisement

DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA

In fairness to Chris Del Conte & Tom Herman, neither of them “made” UT’s bed. That honor goes to Deloss Dodds & whoever was the president of UT back then. Why should Del Conte have to suffer for something that Deloss Dodds did??
08-24-2018 01:06 AM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
(08-24-2018 01:06 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  

In fairness to Chris Del Conte & Tom Herman, neither of them “made” UT’s bed. That honor goes to Deloss Dodds & whoever was the president of UT back then. Why should Del Conte have to suffer for something that Deloss Dodds did??

Fair or not, taking that job came with the baggage. I don’t not like Texas but a lesson in humility would do them good. Perhaps it’s happening now?
08-24-2018 08:23 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Look I'm not saying the conference can't vote on who it wants.

If push comes to shove then A&M can easily be outvoted by the other 13 members. We might even agree to an "abstention" to avoid a no vote for the media

But no A&M president will ever vote yes for UT.

Those that think I'm kidding about an A&M president getting fired for doing so don't understand us but might learn from the VERY short tenure of Dr Elsa Murano who found herself out of a job quickly after angering the alumni and BOR by trying to meddle in the athletic department. It would happen again in a heartbeat.
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2018 11:14 AM by 10thMountain.)
08-24-2018 11:08 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-24-2018 11:08 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  Look I'm not saying the conference can't vote on who it wants.

If push comes to shove then A&M can easily be outvoted by the other 13 members. We might even agree to an "abstention" to avoid a no vote for the media

But no A&M president will ever vote yes for UT.

Those that think I'm kidding about an A&M president getting fired for doing so don't understand us but might learn from the VERY short tenure of Dr Elsa Murano who found herself out of a job quickly after angering the alumni and BOR by trying to meddle in the athletic department. It would happen again in a heartbeat.

Abstaining would be good enough for everyone if it comes to that. Nobody expects A&M to knuckle under, they just expect them to act in the best interest of the bottom line. In other words there wouldn't be a single SEC president that would expect A&M to do anything other than cash a bigger check.
08-24-2018 11:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.