Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Schedules, attendance, money
Foreverandever Online
Heisman

I Root For: &
Schedules, attendance, money
So all three of these kind of tie together and since it's a week or so till the season really starts I thought we could start off at the beginning with scheduling.

The recent Tulsa World article on salary reductions discussed the use of buy games by Tulsa for revenue. The increase in tv money will help ease this some but I still expect Tulsa to sprinkle in buy games even if the money is the top end expected (12ish million). I'm actually ok with this, for a few reasons.

A) Tulsa's stadium size limits our ability to generate revenue and pay off for games.

B) Its difficult to get the top tier teams to play the "lower" teams in home and homes. Games have to be played for there to be upsets and upsets have to occur to maximise good seasons.

However the buy games hurt most when Tulsa is not playing at a high level and gets pummeled and with home attendance and perception. The schedule philosophy needs to change some to increase home attendance. Winning must become more consitant and Tulsa must continue to sell it's self as the city's school.

Right now we schedule one or two A5 teams, a g4 and an fcs squad.

Tulsa needs to try and sign home and home with teams like Kansas, K-State, TCU, Baylor, Iowa St, Missouri, Illinois, Iowa, Utah. Toss in teams like Stanford, Vanderbilt, Wake Forrest, Duke, and Northwestern.

Add an occasional 2-1 with OU, OSU (for now), LSU, Texas AnM, to mix in with the buy games to Ohio St, Texas, Penn St, Michigan St, USC, etc and the schedule looks better and has some balance.

For G4 teams we need to keep the flavor regional, so the casual fan recognizes the school. North Texas, New Mexico, UTSA, La Tech, Rice, Arkansas St, Southern Miss, maybe even New Mexico State. Throw in some series with AFA, Army, and BYU. Put a couple of these together for one year and an A5 home game with a low end g4 buy game or a regional fcs team (UAPB, Central Arkansas, Missouri St, etc) and our home schedules look much more desirable.

For example:

Year 1
OOC
@ Penn St buy game
@ Kansas home and home
BYU
Texas St
Conference Home
Memphis
Houston
Navy
ECU

Year 2
OOC
@BYU
@OU 2for1
Kansas end of home and home
Missouri St FCS
Conference Home
Tulane
SMU
UCF
Cincy

Year 3
OOC
@ Michigan buy game
@Texas Tech home and home
UNT
Army
Conference Home
Houston
Memphis
Navy
USF

Year 4
@ Army
@ OU 2for1
Texas Tech end home and home
UAPB fcs
Conference Home
SMU
Tulane
Temple
UConn

Year 5
OOC
@ UNT
@ USC buy game
OU
AFA
Conference Home
Memphis
Houston
Navy
Cincy

All hypothetical but those home schedules would be solid and still include buy ins.
08-21-2018 02:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hurricane Drummer Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
RE: Schedules, attendance, money
(08-21-2018 02:52 PM)Foreverandever Wrote:  So all three of these kind of tie together and since it's a week or so till the season really starts I thought we could start off at the beginning with scheduling.

The recent Tulsa World article on salary reductions discussed the use of buy games by Tulsa for revenue. The increase in tv money will help ease this some but I still expect Tulsa to sprinkle in buy games even if the money is the top end expected (12ish million). I'm actually ok with this, for a few reasons.

A) Tulsa's stadium size limits our ability to generate revenue and pay off for games.

B) Its difficult to get the top tier teams to play the "lower" teams in home and homes. Games have to be played for there to be upsets and upsets have to occur to maximise good seasons.

However the buy games hurt most when Tulsa is not playing at a high level and gets pummeled and with home attendance and perception. The schedule philosophy needs to change some to increase home attendance. Winning must become more consitant and Tulsa must continue to sell it's self as the city's school.

Tulsa needs to try and sign home and home with teams like Kansas, K-State, TCU, Baylor, Iowa St, Missouri, Illinois, Iowa, Utah. Toss in teams like Stanford, Vanderbilt, Wake Forrest, Duke, and Northwestern.

Add an occasional 2-1 with OU, OSU (for now), LSU, Texas AnM, to mix in with the buy games to Ohio St, Texas, Penn St, Michigan St, USC, etc and the schedule looks better and has some balance.

For G4 teams we need to keep the flavor regional, so the casual fan recognizes the school. North Texas, New Mexico, UTSA, La Tech, Rice, Arkansas St, Southern Miss, maybe even New Mexico State. Throw in some series with AFA, Army, and BYU. Put a couple of these together for one year and an A5 home game with a low end g4 buy game or a regional fcs team (UAPB, Central Arkansas, Missouri St, etc) and our home schedules look much more desirable.

For example:

Year 1
OOC
@ Penn St buy game
@ Kansas home and home
BYU
Texas St
Conference Home
Memphis
Houston
Navy
ECU

Year 2
OOC
@BYU
@OU 2for1
Missouri St FCS
Conference Home
Tulane
SMU
UCF
Cincy

Year 3
OOC
@ Michigan buy game
UNT
Army
Conference Home
Houston
Memphis
Navy
USF

Year 4
@ Army
@ OU 2for1
UAPB fcs
Conference Home
SMU
Tulane
Temple
UConn

Year 5
OOC
@ UNT
@ USC buy game
OU
AFA
Conference Home
Memphis
Houston
Navy
Cincy

All hypothetical but those home schedules would be solid and still include buy ins.

I agree with the scheduling. This is a smart way to do it. And a school like Tulsa can't afford to be dumb with scheduling. Or anything else as far as that goes.
08-23-2018 05:31 PM
Foreverandever Online
Heisman

(08-23-2018 05:31 PM)Hurricane Drummer Wrote:  
(08-21-2018 02:52 PM)Foreverandever Wrote:  So all three of these kind of tie together and since it's a week or so till the season really starts I thought we could start off at the beginning with scheduling.

For example:

Year 1
OOC
@ Penn St buy game
@ Kansas home and home
BYU
Texas St
Conference Home
Memphis
Houston
Navy
ECU

Year 2
OOC
@BYU
@OU 2for1
Missouri St FCS
Conference Home
Tulane
SMU
UCF
Cincy

Year 3
OOC
@ Michigan buy game
UNT
Army
Conference Home
Houston
Memphis
Navy
USF

Year 4
@ Army
@ OU 2for1
UAPB fcs
Conference Home
SMU
Tulane
Temple
UConn

Year 5
OOC
@ UNT
@ USC buy game
OU
AFA
Conference Home
Memphis
Houston
Navy
Cincy

I agree with the scheduling. This is a smart way to do it. And a school like Tulsa can't afford to be dumb with scheduling. Or anything else as far as that goes.

04-cheers
08-23-2018 06:56 PM
goldenhurricane2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulsa
I don’t disagree with your stance at all, but until we’re out of the woods financially, the buy games are here to stay. I’m just hoping we can upset someone at some point and get some publicity locally and nationally.
08-28-2018 07:33 AM
Foreverandever Online
Heisman

(08-28-2018 07:33 AM)goldenhurricane2 Wrote:  I don’t disagree with your stance at all, but until we’re out of the woods financially, the buy games are here to stay. I’m just hoping we can upset someone at some point and get some publicity locally and nationally.

I kept the buy games in there and some two for ones as well with the finances. I look at those the same way as you do, kind of a play anyone any where mentality. A couple upsets and good paychecks would be a great outcome. Tulsa will always do a bit of juggling with that sort of thing.
08-28-2018 01:53 PM
Foreverandever Online
Heisman

Just a bump.

Not sure what our AD is doing. Our schedule is wide open and what is filled in is not good.

Meanwhile Arkansas has signed home and homes in heavily recruited Utah and Colorado with BYU and Colorado St.

By the way they are playing both games at BYU and CSU first.

Iowa St signed a home and home with Nevada.

Not sure we are trying to schedule right now.
11-02-2018 11:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.