Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Brandon Dufault
Bookmark and Share
geewizNU Offline
All American

I Root For: Northeastern
Brandon Dufault
He really had an outstanding summer pitching. He made the All-Star team and his velocity has increased.

Dufault going to have a HUGE role for our pitching staff next spring!

Major heat: Windham's Dufault turning heads with 97 mph fastball in Futures League
Windham's Dufault turning heads with 97 mph fastball in Futures League

Brandon Dufault hasn’t just beat the heat this summer, he’s brought it.

The 6-foot-5 righty from Windham has put up some jaw-dropping numbers playing for the Nashua Silver Knights in the Futures Collegiate Baseball League. Numbers such as 97, 96 and 95 that routinely flash next to the “Pitch Speed” section on the Holman Stadium scoreboard.

That’s right, Dufault has pumped in fastballs that are hitting 97 miles per hour on the radar gun.

That, right there, is major league stuff.

“I feel like I’m definitely throwing it faster,” said Dufault. “I feel like I’ve gotten a lot stronger. The velocity is climbing lately. I knew summer ball was a big chance for me to get better.”

Just how fast is Dufault throwing comparatively?

In 2016, an average fastball of an MLB pitcher sat just below 92 mph.

In 2016, an average fastball of an MLB pitcher sat just below 92 mph.

GROWING STOCK

At 6-5, 190 pounds, Dufault, a two-time Eagle-Tribune All-Star, already has a tall frame with the chance to add even more muscle.

He shined as a freshman reliever at Northeastern this spring, finishing with a 2-1 record and 20 strikeouts in 26 innings pitched. His crowning moment, though, was a big one. In the Colonial Athletic Conference league championship series, Dufault tossed three innings of scoreless ball with four strikeouts to beat the University of North Carolina at Wilmington.

Northeastern would lose the second game of that series later in the day (needing to beat UNCW twice to win the championship), but it is largely
believed that Dufault’s heroics clinched the Huskies their first at-large bid to the NCAA Division 1 tournament since 2003.

“We knew he had a big arm,” said Northeastern coach Mike Glavine. “He’s a strong kid. In the conference tournament, he was hitting 95 (mph) on the gun.”

Dufault has only improved in Nashua.

He’s made seven starts and has a 2-1 record with a 1.52 ERA and 39 strikeouts in 35 innings. He was one of 53 players selected to the league All-Star game, which was then split into two rosters — there are seven teams in the FCBL.

His first three pitches in the All-Star Game clocked in at 97, 95 and 95.

“It’s been awesome,” said Dufault. “I knew about the league growing up. The Silver Knights are right next door to Windham.”

Dufault’s rise has been something his coaches didn’t fully expect. His senior year at Windham, he was “only” throwing in the high-80’s.

“I definitely saw potential there,” said Glavine. “Did I think he was going to be in the upper-90’s? Probably not. But the arm strength is there for his size. We definitely saw that he was at least going to be a low-to-mid-90’s guy.

“He’s progressed so much since he’s committed to us. He works hard in the weight room, his strength continues to get better and his mechanics are good.”

WILD SIDE?

Well, okay. So Dufault can throw hard, but that doesn’t matter if he can’t locate his pitches, right?

As the old golf adage goes: Drive for show, putt for dough.

But Dufault is more than a one-trick pony who just throws hard. He can locate his fastball, has a nasty changeup to mix up speed and is developing a consistent slider.

“I feel like I’m learning to locate better and better with each pitch,” said Dufault.

Said Glavine: “His command has really come on.”

And, according to his coach, Dufault has another added advantage.

“He’s in a really nasty arm slot,” said Glavine. “He doesn’t throw it traditionally, over-the-top. He’s in like a mid-three-quarters arm slot. He gives right-handed batters fits with it.”

ATTRACTING (MLB) HEAT

With how fast he is throwing, Dufault has started to turn heads.

Simply put, his velocity is already at an MLB level.

He is not draft eligible until 2020, meaning he has to complete both his upcoming sophomore year and his junior year before he can turn pro. That prospect, albeit far off, is becoming more and more of a reality after each pitch.

“Being drafted has always been a dream of mine,” said Dufault.

But Dufault isn’t looking that far ahead right now. At this point, the plan is the same as it has always been: Just keep doing what he’s doing.

“I think he’s progressing perfectly,” said Glavine, who sees Dufault getting an invite to the prestigious Cape Cod League next summer. “He’s going to be one of our top arms next year.

“I would be shocked if he doesn’t start to get a lot of (MLB) attention next year.”

Meet Brandon Dufault

Hometown: Windham

Height: 6-5

Weight: 190

College: Northeastern

Position: Pitcher

Pitches: Fastball, changeup, slider

Velocity: 97 mph

Summer team: Nashua Silver Knights of the Futures Collegiate Baseball League

Accolades: Two-time Eagle-Tribune All-Star; FCBL All-Star.
08-21-2018 11:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.