Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rob Spear Fired at Idaho
LatahCounty Offline
1st String

I Root For: Idaho
Rob Spear Fired at Idaho
https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/co...82185.html

Chuck Staben is already in a lame duck year after his contract extension was declined by the State Board of Education, didn't participate in the firing, and won't be making the hiring decision for Spear's replacement.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2018 11:18 AM by LatahCounty.)
08-16-2018 11:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
RE: Rob Spear Fired at Idaho
(08-16-2018 11:16 AM)LatahCounty Wrote:  https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/co...82185.html

Chuck Staben is already in a lame duck year after his contract extension was declined by the State Board of Education, didn't participate in the firing, and won't be making the hiring decision for Spear's replacement.

Is there enough pull to return Idaho football to the D-1 level or will the program remain at D-1AA where they are now when Staben is forced out at the end of his contract. 07-coffee3
08-16-2018 11:46 AM
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
(08-16-2018 11:46 AM)panite Wrote:  
(08-16-2018 11:16 AM)LatahCounty Wrote:  https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/co...82185.html

Is there enough pull to return Idaho football to the D-1 level or will the program remain at D-1AA where they are now when Staben is forced out at the end of his contract. 07-coffee3

They need either a Liberty-style waiver or an invite from an FBS conference. I don't see them getting the latter anytime soon (except in NoDak's fantasies).
08-16-2018 11:55 AM
NoQuestion Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: MSU
Not good for the GNC.
08-16-2018 12:01 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
(08-16-2018 12:01 PM)NoQuestion Wrote:  Not good for the GNC.

Karl Benson is going to take over at Idaho and get the ball rolling. This is just part of the process.
08-16-2018 01:11 PM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(08-16-2018 11:46 AM)panite Wrote:  Is there enough pull to return Idaho football to the D-1 level or will the program remain at D-1AA where they are now when Staben is forced out at the end of his contract. 07-coffee3

Technically speaking, it's all Division I. The question is the subdivision: FBS or FCS.

[Image: giphy.gif]
08-16-2018 01:35 PM
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
No, they are FCS. They lack the resources and support to go back. It's just too small a school too far away from it's rather small alumni base. And most important there is no chance they would get the required conference invite.

If anything these scandals will increase the call for cutbacks in sports and further reductions in the budget.
08-16-2018 03:02 PM
LatahCounty Offline
1st String

(08-16-2018 11:55 AM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  

They need either a Liberty-style waiver or an invite from an FBS conference. I don't see them getting the latter anytime soon (except in NoDak's fantasies).

Actually I believe it would still be possible for us to stay FBS without a waiver if we put together an FBS-compliant indy schedule for 2019. As I understand the rules FBS schools are allowed one noncompliant schedule in a 10-year period, so the NCAA door doesn't slam shut until we play a Big Sky schedule in 2019.

But we're not going to do that. There's nobody in charge at the school for at least another year, and whoever takes over as president will have too many other immediate problems to take on an incredibly difficult extra credit project like that.
08-16-2018 03:44 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

(08-16-2018 01:35 PM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  
(08-16-2018 11:46 AM)panite Wrote:  Is there enough pull to return Idaho football to the D-1 level or will the program remain at D-1AA where they are now when Staben is forced out at the end of his contract. 07-coffee3

Technically speaking, it's all Division I. The question is the subdivision: FBS or FCS.

Yes I know but I'm old school and still go by the old terminology. Its easier for me. 03-old 01-gts 04-wine 05-deadhorse
08-16-2018 07:41 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

(08-16-2018 01:11 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  
(08-16-2018 12:01 PM)NoQuestion Wrote:  Not good for the GNC.

Karl Benson is going to take over at Idaho and get the ball rolling. This is just part of the process.

Yes - absolutely. 04-jawdrop 03-drunk Especially since he was the commissioner of the conference that booted them out. 03-nutkick 03-puke 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao
08-16-2018 07:47 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
(08-16-2018 03:44 PM)LatahCounty Wrote:  

Actually I believe it would still be possible for us to stay FBS without a waiver if we put together an FBS-compliant indy schedule for 2019. As I understand the rules FBS schools are allowed one noncompliant schedule in a 10-year period, so the NCAA door doesn't slam shut until we play a Big Sky schedule in 2019.

But we're not going to do that. There's nobody in charge at the school for at least another year, and whoever takes over as president will have too many other immediate problems to take on an incredibly difficult extra credit project like that.

Idaho is playing a Big Sky schedule in 2018, and if they have already reduced scholarships back to FCS levels I can't imagine the NCAA allowing a turnaround after just one year.

Also, couldn't the Big Sky just kick you out if you tried that?
08-16-2018 07:54 PM
Advertisement

HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
(08-16-2018 07:41 PM)panite Wrote:  
(08-16-2018 01:35 PM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  

Yes I know but I'm old school and still go by the old terminology. Its easier for me. 03-old 01-gts 04-wine 05-deadhorse

Even so, you still got it wrong. The old terminology is 1-A & 1-AA. Both subdivisions house programs from the larger Division 1.
08-16-2018 08:53 PM
LatahCounty Offline
1st String

(08-16-2018 07:54 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  

Idaho is playing a Big Sky schedule in 2018, and if they have already reduced scholarships back to FCS levels I can't imagine the NCAA allowing a turnaround after just one year.

It's not going to happen. And yes, there's a good chance the Big Sky would kick us out if we did it. But we were practically playing at FCS scholarship levels as an FBS school anyway. We never filled the full 85. This is all just academic, but I don't know what rule Idaho would be breaking, or waiver it would require, if it played as an FBS Independent in 2019. Somebody who wants to spend more time on the NCAA rulebook than I do can feel free to correct me here.
08-16-2018 09:19 PM
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
(08-16-2018 09:19 PM)LatahCounty Wrote:  
(08-16-2018 07:54 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  

It's not going to happen. And yes, there's a good chance the Big Sky would kick us out if we did it. But we were practically playing at FCS scholarship levels as an FBS school anyway. We never filled the full 85. This is all just academic, but I don't know what rule Idaho would be breaking, or waiver it would require, if it played as an FBS Independent in 2019. Somebody who wants to spend more time on the NCAA rulebook than I do can feel free to correct me here.

I believe it's true that Idaho could theoretically play an FBS independent schedule in 2019. My claim that they'd need a waiver or an FBS invite was based on the observation that they've resigned themselves to FCS for the next few seasons at minimum.
08-16-2018 09:31 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
Could Idaho use the UAB rule? They came back after dropping football but they had a conference waiting for them which is where it gets difficult for Idaho. Travel is the biggest issue IMO if Idaho wants to go Indy. The other G5 independents have at least a medium to large airport nearby.
08-16-2018 11:20 PM
LatahCounty Offline
1st String

(08-16-2018 09:31 PM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  
(08-16-2018 09:19 PM)LatahCounty Wrote:  It's not going to happen. And yes, there's a good chance the Big Sky would kick us out if we did it. But we were practically playing at FCS scholarship levels as an FBS school anyway. We never filled the full 85. This is all just academic, but I don't know what rule Idaho would be breaking, or waiver it would require, if it played as an FBS Independent in 2019. Somebody who wants to spend more time on the NCAA rulebook than I do can feel free to correct me here.

I believe it's true that Idaho could theoretically play an FBS independent schedule in 2019. My claim that they'd need a waiver or an FBS invite was based on the observation that they've resigned themselves to FCS for the next few seasons at minimum.

Likely a lot longer than that, pending of course the Great Northern Realignment Promised Land. I'm not even sure why I brought it up, other than I find interesting all the different weird unprecedented scenarios Idaho has brought into theoretical possibility over the past few years.
08-16-2018 11:54 PM
Advertisement

CoastalVANDAL Offline
Special Teams

Rob Spear Fired at Idaho
Half the fans liked half blamed him for not fixing problems.
It will be interesting to see what the next AD does.
I would like to have seen the Ninety million dollar arena and twenty seven million dollar football expansion he got approved.The plans that is. Also he had an independent schedule lined up. Not having access to alumni list lack of support from whoever the president was at the time.
Hopefully a pro athletic president is hired and hires a smart aggressive A.D. .

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
08-17-2018 04:02 AM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
Question, Latah:

Is Idaho eligible for the FCS playoffs this year? Or is 2018 essentially a transition season?
08-17-2018 08:34 PM
CoastalVANDAL Offline
Special Teams

Rob Spear Fired at Idaho
They are eligible as long as the scholarship numbers are right.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
08-17-2018 09:48 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Spear was a Staben puppet.

Spear originally supported FBS but pulled a 180 to suck up to Staben and keep his job.

Only to walk off the cliff with Staben.

Funny how things work.
08-17-2018 11:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.