Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UT-RGV football feasability released
Bookmark and Share
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
UT-RGV football feasability released
https://www.brownsvilleherald.com/premiu...l?mode=jqm

The Monitor acquired the study, which was conducted by College Sports Solutions and has otherwise not been released publicly, from UTRGV through a public information request.

“Given the size of the university and its aspirational goals to be recognized as a Tier One research institution, CSS would recommend entry at the FBS level, which will require an invitation from an existing conference,” the report reads.

The study provided a timeline for UTRGV to begin playing football as early as 2021-22, though the proposed process is well behind schedule.

The report also noted potential pitfalls, specifically stating: “CSS does not recommend an attempt to play football independently at any level, as the operational difficulties, particularly with scheduling, present additional issues that can become problematic both as to management and resources.”

If UTRGV were to pursue a football program at any level, issues of funding and facilities would be at the forefront, according to the report. Projected yearly expenses ranged from $377,474 during the announcement year of an FCS program to $10,971,529 for the first year of FBS play.

Reads like football is indeed a possibility, but nothing definite in the near future. How does this affect the WAC FBS revival?
08-08-2018 11:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

edinburger Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTRGV
RE: UT-RGV football feasability released
(08-08-2018 11:35 AM)jdgaucho Wrote:  https://www.brownsvilleherald.com/premiu...l?mode=jqm

The Monitor acquired the study, which was conducted by College Sports Solutions and has otherwise not been released publicly, from UTRGV through a public information request.

“Given the size of the university and its aspirational goals to be recognized as a Tier One research institution, CSS would recommend entry at the FBS level, which will require an invitation from an existing conference,” the report reads.

The study provided a timeline for UTRGV to begin playing football as early as 2021-22, though the proposed process is well behind schedule.

The report also noted potential pitfalls, specifically stating: “CSS does not recommend an attempt to play football independently at any level, as the operational difficulties, particularly with scheduling, present additional issues that can become problematic both as to management and resources.”

If UTRGV were to pursue a football program at any level, issues of funding and facilities would be at the forefront, according to the report. Projected yearly expenses ranged from $377,474 during the announcement year of an FCS program to $10,971,529 for the first year of FBS play.

Reads like football is indeed a possibility, but nothing definite in the near future. How does this affect the WAC FBS revival?

Sorry to keep posting the same thing, but football is not going to happen.
The reason the Monitor needed to do an FOIA is that UTRGV was not releasing the report, and the reason we were not releasing the report is probably because we were told by higher authorities to stop planning, stop talking, and stop thinking about it. I admit that's a guess but it's consistent with other things we've been told to not do based on our 2nd SACS probation and budget crunch.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2018 11:47 AM by edinburger.)
08-08-2018 11:42 AM
Vaqueronation Offline
2nd String

I Root For: utrgv
From what i'm reading it doesn't sound like the ut system told them to shut it down. We just had to wait for things to settle and still wait for the next legislative session in 2019.
08-10-2018 01:21 AM
Advertisement

edinburger Offline
1st String

(08-10-2018 01:21 AM)Vaqueronation Wrote:  From what i'm reading it doesn't sound like the ut system told them to shut it down. We just had to wait for things to settle and still wait for the next legislative session in 2019.

The more extended versions of the stories that came out later do look a little more positive. However, the expenses still look really high and I'm having a hard time seeing how we can swing it. I still think the only way is a really, really big donor.
08-10-2018 08:46 PM
SeattleVandals Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Seattle U
Would a Southland invite be extended if UTRGV started football?
08-17-2018 08:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Vaqueronation Offline
2nd String

I Root For: utrgv
(08-17-2018 08:40 PM)SeattleVandals Wrote:  Would a Southland invite be extended if UTRGV started football?

I don't think they would start football without some sort of an agreement from them.
08-17-2018 11:32 PM
SeattleVandals Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Seattle U
(08-17-2018 11:32 PM)Vaqueronation Wrote:  
(08-17-2018 08:40 PM)SeattleVandals Wrote:  Would a Southland invite be extended if UTRGV started football?

I don't think they would start football without some sort of an agreement from them.

I'd have to think being at 13, the Southland would invite them as a football-only member at the very least
08-19-2018 05:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Quote:Rio Grande Valley residents are like most Texans: We love football. Much of our population can be found at a local high-school football stadium on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights during fall to watch our teams battle it out on the gridiron.

So we are intrigued if not excited by University of Texas Rio Grande Valley officials’ dream of adding football to their athletic programs. But like many residents, we wonder if it’s plausible or merely a pipe dream.

University President Guy Bailey has included football on his long-term wish list since almost the beginning of the new school that merged the UT Brownsville and UT-Pan American campuses into a regional institution in 2013.

We appreciate Bailey’s big dreams, and his aggressive efforts to realize them. His guidance has brought a rapid expansion to facilities and programs. More conservative types might find such assertive moves a bit unnerving, especially when they involve the millions of dollars, both public and private, that go into running a major university.

UTRGV has taken a strong first step in commissioning a feasibility study. That study, launched last year by College Sports Solutions and released to The Monitor this month in response to a Public Information Act petition, confirms that a football program would be a major investment. Millions must be spent on facilities, coaches and staff, equipment and scholarships, and the endeavor is expected to lose money for at least the first few years.

Other related costs include the need to abide by the mandates of Title IX of the U.S. Code that require parity among men’s and women’s athletic programs. Adding football would require eliminating another men’s sport or adding another woman’s sport, and the additional expenses that would require.

The CSS review rightly addressed such concerns, as well as the need to be part of an athletic conference that supports football. University officials should start sending out feelers soon to gauge conferences’ interest in admitting UTRGV. Unfortunately, this area is a bit remote, and some universities might resist adding a campus that would require the kind of travel expenses — for other sports as well as football — to commit to coming here frequently.

An unwritten but obvious concern is the need for the football program, like its other sports teams, to be competitive. People will lose interest in a perennial loser, so the university will have to be willing to invest in coaching staffs that improve their chances of success.

Full Article>>>>
08-20-2018 11:20 AM
joshadam84 Offline

I Root For: Chicago State
11-01-2018 07:26 PM
Advertisement

TexasTerror Offline
1st String

I Root For: SHSU
Hate to bump up an old post but it’s nice for those of keeping tabs on the WAC now due to our institutions likely moves to have access to some of the prior chatter

Additionally, did anyone read what CollegeAD put out yesterday? UTRGV football was a headline but alas, I do not subscribe. They had “sources” on the subject and certainly even this report would have not guessed the WAC having five football playing schools in Texas as we seem to be inching closer to
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2021 02:47 PM by TexasTerror.)
01-01-2021 01:15 PM
WACfan86 Offline
2nd String

(01-01-2021 01:15 PM)TexasTerror Wrote:  Hate to bump up an old post but it’s nice for those of keeping tabs on the WAC now due to our institutions likely moves to have access to some of the prior chatter

Additionally, did anyone read what CollegeAD put out yesterday? UTRGV football was a headline but alas, I do not subscribe. They had “sources” on the subject and certainly even this report would have not guessed the WAC having five football playing schools in Texas as we seem to be inching closer to

I posted something on Twitter and retweeted but I got no response from anyone plus subscription is pricey. 05-mafia05-mafia05-mafiaCOGS02-13-banana02-13-banana03-nutkick03-nutkick
01-01-2021 10:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.