Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NM Terror Compound Suspects Sentenced on federal terrorism charges Updated: 3/7/24
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
NM Terror Compound Suspects Sentenced on federal terrorism charges Updated: 3/7/24
Quote:[Image: 1533492202615.jpg?ve=1&tl=1]

[Image: 1533492290519.jpg?ve=1&tl=1]

[Image: 1533493179538.jpg?ve=1&tl=1]

Authorities hoping to end a monthslong search for a missing 3-year-old boy raided a New Mexico compound Friday to look for the toddler — but instead found 11 other children who were malnourished and living in filthy conditions, authorities said.

Taos County Sheriff’s deputies stormed a makeshift compound in Amalia and removed the children, ranging from ages 1 to 15, and turned over to state child-welfare workers. Police were initially at the compound to look for Abdul-Ghani Wahhaj and a 39-year-old man, Siraj Wahhaj, accused of abducting the boy last December. Wahhaj was located on the property and arrested. The child that sparked the initial search was not found.

“We did an extensive search for the missing child, our primary target,” Taos County Sheriff Jerry Hogrefe said, according to the Albuquerque Journal. “We certainly didn’t want to leave that place and leave a child behind and I’m confident we did not.”

Another man, identified as Lucas Morten, was also taken into custody on suspicion of harboring a fugitive.

Hogrefe said authorities had conducted surveillance of the compound while looking for the missing boy before he decided Thursday to get a search warrant immediately after a Georgia investigator forwarded a message in which someone at the compound reportedly told another person that people at the compound were starving and needed water.

“The message sent to a third party simply said in part, ‘We are starving and need food and water,’ ” Hogrefe said. “I absolutely knew that we couldn’t wait on another agency to step up and we had to go check this out as soon as possible.”

When police arrived at the scene, Wahhaj was armed with an “AR-15 rifle, five loaded 30-round magazines, and four loaded pistols, including one in his pocket,” according to Hogrefe. Wahhaj and Morton refused to cooperate with authorities.

The sheriff described the living conditions as “the ugliest looking, filthiest” he’s ever seen.

“The only food we saw were a few potatoes and a box of rice in the filthy trailer,” Hogrefe said in a news release. “But what was most surprising, and heartbreaking was when the team located a total of five adults and 11 children that looked like third world country refugees not only with no food or fresh water, but with no shoes, personal hygiene and basically dirty rags for clothing.”

Abdul-Ghani’s mother reported in December her son missing after Wahhaj took the boy to the park in Clayton County, Ga., and didn’t return for nine days, The Albuquerque Jounral reported. The mother said the 3-year-old suffers from a medical condition.

Link
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2024 12:24 PM by CrimsonPhantom.)
08-05-2018 05:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

RE: Update: 11 kids found on 'filthy' compound during search for missing 3-year-old boy
Quote:Wahhaj, the father of the missing boy, was armed with an AR-15 style rifle, and was in possession of five loaded 30-round magazines and four loaded pistols, including one in his pocket when he was “taken down,” according to the sheriff. Hogrefe said law enforcement had to take a tactical approach to while executing the search warrant because he learned “the occupants were most likely heavily armed and considered extremist of the Muslim belief.”

Link

Makeshift shooting range, escape tunnel found on northern NM compound

Quote:AMALIA, N.M. – It's been months since a U.S. Army veteran couple bought a 10-acre plot in rural northern New Mexico with plans of building a getaway cottage.

Instead, two men on a nearby plot set up a haphazard camp reminiscent of a compound in a developing nation, crossing onto Tanya and Jason Badger's property.

On Sunday KOB got a closer look at the makeshift compound, and the conditions its occupants were enduring.

Bullet casings covered parts of the ground on the site, and an improvised shooting range was set up behind a barrier of shattered glass.

Also on the site was a 150-foot "escape tunnel," as described by the Badgers. The tunnel's exit was across property lines.

The kids were living in these conditions for months, authorities say. The landowners said Lucas Morton and Siraj Wahhaj – the father of the missing boy – set up camp sometime after Christmas last year.

Link
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2018 05:07 PM by CrimsonPhantom.)
08-06-2018 05:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
RE: Update: 11 kids found on 'filthy' compound with Muslim Extremists in U.S.
I thought Muslims avoided pigs?
08-06-2018 07:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

RE: Update: Bizarre Case Going on in NM
Quote:TAOS – The mother of a disabled boy whose disappearance led to a law enforcement raid at a remote, ramshackle compound north of Taos last week told police in Georgia that the boy’s father wanted to perform an exorcism on the child.

According to an arrest warrant affidavit filed in Taos, the woman said Siraj Ibn Wahhaj, 39, one of five adults now charged after the Friday raid, believed “the child is possessed by the devil” and that he intended to deny the boy his medication.

Court arraignments for the defendants arrested near the community of Amalia, close to the Colorado state line, were postponed Monday and are now set to take place in Taos County Magistrate Court today or Wednesday.

Eleven children who were found at the compound, ranging in age from 1 to 15, are in state custody.

His mother had reported in December that she did not know if the father had the boy’s medication with him when they left.

An arrest warrant filed by the Taos County Sheriff’s Office says recent video surveillance of the Amalia compound by the FBI showed one boy walking with a limp.

Siraj Ibn Wahhaj is reportedly the son of Siraj Wahhaj, a prominent imam at the Masjid At-Taqwa mosque in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Siraj Wahhaj, the imam, was tied to the 1993 World Trade Center bombing. A U.S. attorney in 1995 listed him as among 170 “unindicted persons who may be alleged as co-conspirators” in the bombing.

Link

Sadly I think the boy they were searching for is dead.

Also with the amount of kids and weapons found, I wonder if they were turning the kids into child soldiers.
08-07-2018 11:27 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
This is but one of many cases of child neglect. From Warren Jeffs, to that family in California, etc. These things sadly happen. Unfortunately, the proliferation of homeschooling, the reduction of CPS coverage, and the proliferation of guns had an impact here.

I think the easiest thing to do is to require periodic wellness checks of every child. If they are in a public school, then that can be done at the public school. If not, then I think a visit from CPS to every child outside of the system once a year or so might be helpful. It would require a LOT more money. Then the problem shifts to kids too young to attend school. Its a real tough question I suppose.

Also, I think there could be a child registry too.

Either way, kids sometimes fall through the cracks. The question is what do we do to prevent it.
08-07-2018 11:39 AM
49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(08-07-2018 11:39 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  This is but one of many cases of child neglect. From Warren Jeffs, to that family in California, etc. These things sadly happen. Unfortunately, the proliferation of homeschooling, the reduction of CPS coverage, and the proliferation of guns had an impact here.

I think the easiest thing to do is to require periodic wellness checks of every child. If they are in a public school, then that can be done at the public school. If not, then I think a visit from CPS to every child outside of the system once a year or so might be helpful. It would require a LOT more money. Then the problem shifts to kids too young to attend school. Its a real tough question I suppose.

Either way, kids sometimes fall through the cracks. The question is what do we do to prevent it.

My God but you do love the all-powerful State don't you!
08-07-2018 11:52 AM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(08-07-2018 11:52 AM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  
(08-07-2018 11:39 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  This is but one of many cases of child neglect. From Warren Jeffs, to that family in California, etc. These things sadly happen. Unfortunately, the proliferation of homeschooling, the reduction of CPS coverage, and the proliferation of guns had an impact here.

Gestapo door knocking. Clifton Ave, who has 2 degrees, grew up in an 800 Sq. Ft house with dirt floors, no bed. He would have been yanked from his home.
08-07-2018 11:55 AM
SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mighty Mustard
(08-07-2018 11:52 AM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  

The best thing would make them wards of the state at birth. Then the village could raise them. This would end racism and white privilege. It also would destroy the desire in some to succeed beyond the average. Also would facilitate separating by gender selection so no one child would be bullied for choosing the wrong bathroom. Yeah, this is a great idea. It would solve all problems.
08-07-2018 12:03 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl

Oh, joy, the Hitler Youth.
08-07-2018 12:55 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

Well then folks whats your solution to this problem?

Just trying to find a solution here. The problem is that with the rise of homeschooling, the relaxing of truancy laws, etc. there's less of a safety net. Easier to hide kids. No reason to get rid of homeschooling but it should be hard to hide kids.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2018 03:11 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
08-07-2018 03:10 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(08-07-2018 03:10 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Well then folks whats your solution to this problem?

These problems are few and far between at least as described in this instance. There is no need for CPS Swat Team to knock on doors to do child safety checks.

I swear liberals are all for getting government out of their lives, just not other people's lives.
08-07-2018 03:28 PM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(08-07-2018 03:10 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Well then folks whats your solution to this problem?
Just trying to find a solution here. The problem is that with the rise of homeschooling, the relaxing of truancy laws, etc. there's less of a safety net. Easier to hide kids. No reason to get rid of homeschooling but it should be hard to hide kids.

I think part of the solution is figuring out how big a problem it is. I don't think we need to reimplementing the Hitler Youth to solve a one-off occurrence.

If it's more prevalent than that, what's the lowest cost solution?
08-07-2018 03:36 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

Like I said:
Quote:TAOS, N.M. - Authorities believe they found the Georgia boy's remains near a compound in northern New Mexico.

Taos County Sheriff Jerry Hogrefe said the remains were discovered Monday after receiving new information. They are still waiting for the medical examiner to positively identify the remains.

The sheriff also revealed new information about the raid on the compound in Amalia, New Mexico. The sheriff said it was a no-knock raid when tactical teams took the five suspects into custody.

Link
08-07-2018 04:07 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-07-2018 03:36 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

I think part of the solution is figuring out how big a problem it is. I don't think we need to reimplementing the Hitler Youth to solve a one-off occurrence.

Exactly, how do you get from CPS to the Hitler Youth?
08-07-2018 10:17 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(08-07-2018 10:29 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(08-07-2018 10:24 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  
(08-07-2018 10:17 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
How do you get from Trump to gay internment camps?
If you'd like to create a thread to ask it, I will respond to it. Otherwise, I was asking another poster why he thinks that my attempt to put forth a CPS led solution to the topic of 'someone was able to hide kids from any outside scrutiny and bad things happened' was somehow like the Hitler Youth.

The plan you outlined above sounds more like the Hitler Youth than CPS. Plus, based upon dealings with CPS in several situations of which I'm aware, I'm not favoring getting them involved anywhere the isn't absolutely necessary.
08-07-2018 11:10 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-07-2018 11:10 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(08-07-2018 10:29 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(08-07-2018 10:24 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  
(08-07-2018 10:17 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(08-07-2018 03:36 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I think part of the solution is figuring out how big a problem it is. I don't think we need to reimplementing the Hitler Youth to solve a one-off occurrence.
How do you get from Trump to gay internment camps?
If you'd like to create a thread to ask it, I will respond to it. Otherwise, I was asking another poster why he thinks that my attempt to put forth a CPS led solution to the topic of 'someone was able to hide kids from any outside scrutiny and bad things happened' was somehow like the Hitler Youth.

The plan you outlined above sounds more like the Hitler Youth than CPS. Plus, based upon dealings with CPS in several situations of which I'm aware, I'm not favoring getting them involved anywhere the isn't absolutely necessary.

Well that's one opinion I suppose. Shessh.
08-07-2018 11:51 PM
Advertisement

TigerBlue4Ever Online
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama

You really just want big gubmint to relieve you of your responsibilities, to eliminate any decision making capabilities from you and us. Why? Laziness?
08-08-2018 08:02 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Hi where are here from the government. We suspect that you have children would you mind if we came in and have a look around? Jesus Christ talk about unconstitutional.
08-08-2018 09:08 AM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards

building the wall and enforcing current immigration laws.....
08-08-2018 09:19 AM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

Quote:TAOS – Children who were rescued from a makeshift compound in a sparsely populated area in northern Taos County told investigators that they saw the body of a 4-year-old boy who was reportedly abducted in Georgia and said the body was buried at the compound, according to a search warrant affidavit filed in Taos County District Court on Tuesday.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1206057/offic...pound.html
08-08-2018 11:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.