Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Recruiting changes are coming soon
Bookmark and Share
billymac Offline
Heisman

I Root For: William & Mary
The recent college basketball scandal hasn't really brought out the continuous headlines that were expected, but it has brought about changes that will be made, in the near future, to the landscape for college recruiting.

Working on info from the Rice Committee and feedback from D-1 coaches, the look of recruiting is going to shift.

July will, apparently, no longer be the "killer month" for poor assistant coaches, travelling the country chasing big name tournaments for weeks on end. July will lose, at least, one week of recruiting, while April and June (for the first time) will pick up a week.

The other big change is that the "outfitters" (Nike, Under Armour, Addidas, etc.) will have a very limited window for their tournaments and a new "National Camp" will invite the best players around the country to a site (probably Las Vegas), where all coaches can see all the best players at one time. It will be co-run by the NCAA, USA Basketball, the NBA and the NBA Players Association.

The article below, goes into much more detail. Have a look. Whether it will change things for the better (less AAU, Outfitters influence) only time will tell.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basket...ing-rules/
07-31-2018 04:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

RE: Recruiting changes are coming soon
Will players have to pay their own way to the national camp? I would think an eastish and westish camp (on different weekends?) would be better for the kids and parents.
07-31-2018 05:50 PM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-31-2018 05:50 PM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  Will players have to pay their own way to the national camp? I would think an eastish and westish camp (on different weekends?) would be better for the kids and parents.
You act like this has anything to do with the kids or their families. I have little doubt that all changes are made to benefit P5 schools and the cash machine with little consideration for others effected.
#Iamabittertribefan
07-31-2018 06:26 PM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(07-31-2018 06:26 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  
(07-31-2018 05:50 PM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  Will players have to pay their own way to the national camp? I would think an eastish and westish camp (on different weekends?) would be better for the kids and parents.
You act like this has anything to do with the kids or their families. I have little doubt that all changes are made to benefit P5 schools and the cash machine with little consideration for others effected.
#Iamabittertribefan

Yeah, it was a bit of a pipe dream that this move might be to make recruiting less awful instead of more efficient for the P5. The next question is does this lead to a potential market inefficiency for kids that can't or won't go to the huge camp? It won't take more than one or two seasons to see whether there's any benefit for non-P5 coaches to go, or if any of them would try to talk a recruit out of going.
07-31-2018 08:26 PM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

The current change really only effects the last two July live periods by combining them into one exclusive national "camp." It may mean some mid-major offered players may get no other HM exposure if they are not invited. Otherwise, it just consolidates the last two weeks from many venues to one primary venue.

If the rule expands to additional changes to April/May (as mentioned), then it really will be a major change to the detriment of the bulk of players who count on the exposure for college opportunities.

If they ultimately get the shoe sponsorship aspect out of AAU play, it will simply morph into something else similar. I have thought often what it would have been like back in my day to have had the opportunities kids get today to train and develop skills and get the exposure afforded for earning full scholies.

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2018 10:15 PM by Tribeheart.)
07-31-2018 10:06 PM
billymac Offline
Heisman

The April/May changes ARE going to happen, but may be adjusted after they have been in effect for a while, to see what "real life" "unexpected consequences" appear.
The change in freeing up the final two weeks of July will make it possible for coaches to be on campus with the arrival of their players (new and returning) for summer school sessions.

The other "positive" aspect would be the lessening of the control of the AAU circuit (in theory). Way too much bad stuff happens, away from the games, in that arena.
08-01-2018 09:15 AM
Advertisement

WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(08-01-2018 09:15 AM)billymac Wrote:  The other "positive" aspect would be the lessening of the control of the AAU circuit (in theory). Way too much bad stuff happens, away from the games, in that arena.

As far as the NCAA is concerned, the worst stuff that happens with AAU is they don't get their cut.
08-01-2018 07:46 PM
FUATT Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Furman
There is at least one way that the changes might help mid-majors.

The head coaches are supposed to nominate 30 players each for the camp in July. What mid-major coach will nominate his own recruits to be studied by other coaches? I've read that one coach said he would just nominate the top 30 from the nationally known players. Another coach said he would nominate players his peers and rivals were after, but weren't the coach's own prospective recruits.

It won't matter to Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc. Everyone already knows who they are after. But some late developing "sleepers' will have less time to be seen by the P6 teams - increasing the chance they end up mid-major or low-major.
08-01-2018 09:48 PM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

NBA Gleague - Big paycheck now available for High schoolers to break One-and-Done

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25015...route-ncaa
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2018 04:47 PM by nogretheogre.)
10-18-2018 04:44 PM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

Good riddance to the NCAA. College basketball will survive, but it's gonna look a lot different.
10-18-2018 04:50 PM
Tribal Offline

What ever will Kentucky do?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
10-18-2018 05:00 PM
Advertisement

mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-18-2018 05:00 PM)Tribal Wrote:  What ever will Kentucky do?

Officially be the semi-pro program they have been for the last decade?
10-18-2018 05:28 PM
Tribal Offline

(10-18-2018 05:28 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  
(10-18-2018 05:00 PM)Tribal Wrote:  What ever will Kentucky do?

Officially be the semi-pro program they have been for the last decade?
Not if HS players can hit the GLeague for a bigger payday and go to the NBA from there. Kentucky started 5 freshmen last season for a reason. Those 5 freshmen would've probably gone to the GLeague at $100k per vice a 1 year scholarship toward a degree they will never earn.

(This post was last modified: 10-18-2018 06:22 PM by Tribal.)
10-18-2018 06:21 PM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

They'll go back to being one of the best instead of the best. Omar would have gone there instead of here if he was one of the best in college basketball. We're still far away from that; most likely we're talking about no more than 20-30 players getting the opportunity to get that $125k deal. But it'll probably shift all the recruits up 20-30 places.

Calipari still will sell the ability to get guys into the NBA, but do it with the next best guys available. The rest of the P5 college basketball coaches will continue trying to trick players into believing that the school cares about them.
10-18-2018 06:52 PM
Tribal Offline

It's been several years since Kentucky was the best but no doubt they're a top 10 team most seasons. I think they'll suffer more than, say Duke or Villanova, because Kentucky has lived by the one and done model for a decade whereas most of the top programs sell the school. Anyway, the whole system is corrupt from the schools to the conferences to the NCAA. By the way, I prefer kids, especially those from low-income households, foregoing college in favor of making a good salary doing the only thing they care about.

10-18-2018 07:09 PM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

I think it could effect a lot of mid majors. Guys that blow up and normally transfer to P5 schools are going to head to the money if its available. Why wouldn't they? Likewise, if kids are making the jump, there will be holes on P5 teams that need filling. It could effect us, but the guys we bring in favor academics and in general desire a degree. I couldn't fault Nate leaving school to make $100k if it was offered. Just like i wouldn't fault a computer science major from taking a lucrative job before graduating. You can always come back to finish.
10-18-2018 07:26 PM
Advertisement

hktribefan Offline
1st String

It will have some effect, but I don't think as much as people think. We're not that far removed from HS players going straight to the NBA if they're good enough. You figure anyone who would be one and done likely goes to the G-league, but that's not THAT many players in the grand scheme of things. Just because they can pay someone six figures doesn't mean the will either. If the G-league expands to more teams that may change it a little, but the finances of this are going to be interesting to watch.
10-18-2018 08:44 PM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

I think it's still going to be a tougher decision for those top players in each recruiting class than $125,000 can buy. Get buried in G League play or opt for the higher exposure you'd get that one year in the Kentucky program and potential boost to your draft selection. The money and G League option may not be the best choice long term.

10-18-2018 09:24 PM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

(10-18-2018 09:24 PM)Tribeheart Wrote:  I think it's still going to be a tougher decision for those top players in each recruiting class than $125,000 can buy. Get buried in G League play or opt for the higher exposure you'd get that one year in the Kentucky program and potential boost to your draft selection. The money and G League option may not be the best choice long term.

For the first few years, yes...but as the NBA takes more cues from European soccer clubs and their developmental programs, College BBall may slide significantly with regard to the top talent.
10-18-2018 09:59 PM
Rocco Offline
All American

I Root For: William and Mar
(10-18-2018 09:59 PM)nogretheogre Wrote:  
(10-18-2018 09:24 PM)Tribeheart Wrote:  I think it's still going to be a tougher decision for those top players in each recruiting class than $125,000 can buy. Get buried in G League play or opt for the higher exposure you'd get that one year in the Kentucky program and potential boost to your draft selection. The money and G League option may not be the best choice long term.

For the first few years, yes...but as the NBA takes more cues from European soccer clubs and their developmental programs, College BBall may slide significantly with regard to the top talent.

I think the NBA is more interesting in killing AAU hoops than college hoops.
10-19-2018 09:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.