Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Let's talk running backs
Bookmark and Share
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Exclamation Let's talk running backs
A lot of leading rushers are gone so this is a question mark with several teams.

App State - Jalin Moore is back and Marcus Williams is a capable backup. App should be set.
Coastal - ???
Georgia Southern - We sign many backs (as you can imagine) so one of them will step up and do well. Also, Wesley Fields returns (who averaged more yards a carry than Matt Breida in 2016) and will show what he can do without being hamstrung by Tyson Summers.
Georgia State - ???
Troy - ???

Ark State - Warren Wand comes back to take the ball once in a while to give Justice Hansen's arm a break, but who is the backup to the injury-prone Wand?
Louisiana - Trey Ragas I think is poised to have a big year this season if the OL can get fixed.
ULM - Both main backs come back, should be all right there.
South - ???
Texas State - Leading rushers are back, but I wonder if they'e been shopping trying to find better ones.
07-15-2018 07:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Arrowhead Offline
Beltbbs ULM INsider

I Root For: ULM
RE: Let's talk running backs
Ragas is a stud. Dread playing that dude.
07-15-2018 07:36 PM
sdcritter Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
A whole lot of unproven for us. We hope one of those faces steps up to take the load off Warren. He's been impressive, especially considering his size. We have a guy, Armond Weh-Weh, who looked great when recruited but got hurt. He had a bad year last year and seemed to have no confidence in his ability anymore. I heard he was better in spring ball. A couple of new recruits show some promise as well. Finding a running game might make us pretty freakin terrifying. But I don't have high hopes.
07-15-2018 07:53 PM
_x_ Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
Our RBs are fine. it's the OL that hasn't been the past couple seasons.

Anthony Taylor and Robert Brown should be the primary backs. Unfortunately, Anthony Smith is probably out for the season after suffering an injury in the spring game.

Jaylin Nelson will likely be the third option. HS QB transitioning to RB.
07-15-2018 07:53 PM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
The Cajuns OL will be just fine.
07-15-2018 08:25 PM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
We are deep in RBs for the first time ever pretty much. Credit to Shawn Elliott's recruiting. I believe it when he says we will run the damn ball.
07-15-2018 08:43 PM
Advertisement

SlickRick12 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ragin Cajuns
(07-15-2018 07:12 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  A lot of leading rushers are gone so this is a question mark with several teams.

App State - Jalin Moore is back and Marcus Williams is a capable backup. App should be set.
Coastal - ???
Georgia Southern - We sign many backs (as you can imagine) so one of them will step up and do well. Also, Wesley Fields returns (who averaged more yards a carry than Matt Breida in 2016) and will show what he can do without being hamstrung by Tyson Summers.
Georgia State - ???
Troy - ???

Ark State - Warren Wand comes back to take the ball once in a while to give Justice Hansen's arm a break, but who is the backup to the injury-prone Wand?
Louisiana - Trey Ragas I think is poised to have a big year this season if the OL can get fixed.
South - ???
Texas State - Leading rushers are back, but I wonder if they'e been shopping trying to find better ones.
Trey and Elijah Mitchell. Elijah was hurt last year with a foot injury. Held him out spring practice to heal properly. If well, he and Trey will be tough. Both sophomores and about same size at 5'10" ish, 225 lbs. Mitchell is faster, ran track in HS. Trey is slower, but goes down slow too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
07-15-2018 08:59 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
Our guys seem so average. But like X said our Line has a lot to so with that. Still though no one seems outstandingly fast, powerful, or shifty.
07-15-2018 09:06 PM
Golota76 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ULM
ULM
Derrick Gore returns and showed some flashes but overall I’d say most were somewhat dissapointed somewhat. Good kid, works hard , smart player but he averaged 3.6 yards a carry on 164 carries for 586 yards.3.6 13 receptions 174 yards. He’ll need to get the YPC up at least a yard. I think he’ll have a more productive year after being in the system another year and fully participating in spring ball.

Our second back isn’t on the team like some sites have reported. Ben
Luckett the RB who had a good RS Freshman year, crappy soph year, and the. Showed flashes agin in junior year. He graduated and hung up the cleats. He was there to play school first and football second.

Kayin White 5-11 215/220 38carries 162yards 4.3 2td will be RS Soph was dinged up all year. He’s 100% now and I’d expect some good things from him.
Austin Vaughn 5-8 220 former walk on. Solis inside runner was injured last year but had solid RS Freshman year 48car 268yards 5.6 2td.
He’ll get some carries not a bad 3rd option.

Javin Myers 5-8 186 might be fastest kid on the team. Redshirted and should get some carries how many? Depends on what he does with the opportunity he gets. V isn’t scared to play young guys.

The one guy... JaKyle Holmes highest rated kid from 2017 class is at JUCO getting academics fixed. Should be back next year.

Evans will get rushing yards 400-700 just depends what defenses give him on RPO.

Marcus Green will get his carries on revereses and toss/ jet sweeps.
14 Carries for 175 yards 12.5 a carry he might get a few more carries.

WR Markus McKray one of the fastest guys on team and another guy that was banged up last year only 5 games he had 1 carry got 37 yards if healthy he’ll have 10ish carries on jet sweeps/ reverses.

We’re OK at RB and if guys step up good be very good. We’ll get some yards from QB and WR. We averaged 170 rushing yards a game vs 181 in 2016. I think you’ll see us at 180-200 rushing yards this year. I’m hoping for 220 yards to keep our defense off the field more with time of Possesion.
07-16-2018 08:47 AM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
I think you'll be impressed with Jamarius Henderson. Last season as a backup behind the big backs Chunn and Anderson, Henderson had 355 yards 4 touchdowns at 7.9 yards per carry. That's just ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWksWEfeaIQ
07-16-2018 08:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AppinSC Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
Jalin Moore is ready to take it up another notch this year! Hope that they got the plate number on that truck that ran over the UL player just past the one minute mark. Oh, he also squats 630 and benches 385...
04-cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB1SQ2PUHKA
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2018 10:51 AM by AppinSC.)
07-16-2018 10:27 AM
Advertisement

AppManDG Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
If injuries hit like last year we could be in trouble. After Williams went down we played a TF who looked really good, esp in the bowl game. Unfortunately he tore a knee ligament in Spring Practice and another TF from last year flunked out of school. Forced us to move Evans (KO return for TD in Camellia Bowl in '16 as a TF who took a RS last year due to an injury from Fall Camp) from WR and a RS CB who played QB in HS. We do have a Fr coming in, but the staff doesn't want to burn his RS if at all possible.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using CSNbbs mobile app
07-16-2018 10:35 AM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
(07-16-2018 08:54 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  I think you'll be impressed with Jamarius Henderson. Last season as a backup behind the big backs Chunn and Anderson, Henderson had 355 yards 4 touchdowns at 7.9 yards per carry. That's just ridiculous.

Jamarius Henderson is a legit P5-type running back. He had the talent and size out of high school. He wasn't a 4-star or 5-star player simply because he was at a small-town high school in a lower division.

He currently holds the Alabama all-time record for most rush yards in a season (3,483) and most TD's in a career (115), beating records held by familiar names such as Bo Jackson, TJ Yeldon, Kerryon Johnson, and Carnell Williams.

South Carolina, Kentucky, Louisville, and some G5 schools offered him. He wound up choosing Memphis before transferring to Troy. He was actually expected to be the starting RB for Memphis his sophomore season before leaving.

Watch and be amazed this coming season...
07-16-2018 11:13 AM
AtlantaJag Offline
Beltbbs USA INsider

I Root For: USA Jaguars
(07-16-2018 11:13 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  
(07-16-2018 08:54 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  I think you'll be impressed with Jamarius Henderson. Last season as a backup behind the big backs Chunn and Anderson, Henderson had 355 yards 4 touchdowns at 7.9 yards per carry. That's just ridiculous.

Jamarius Henderson is a legit P5-type running back. He had the talent and size out of high school. He wasn't a 4-star or 5-star player simply because he was at a small-town high school in a lower division.

He currently holds the Alabama all-time record for most rush yards in a season (3,483) and most TD's in a career (115), beating records held by familiar names such as Bo Jackson, TJ Yeldon, Kerryon Johnson, and Carnell Williams.

South Carolina, Kentucky, Louisville, and some G5 schools offered him. He wound up choosing Memphis before transferring to Troy. He was actually expected to be the starting RB for Memphis his sophomore season before leaving.

Hasn't he had some maturity issues at Troy? I seem to recall his playing time being reduced after some sideline tirades or something like that.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2018 01:48 PM by AtlantaJag.)
07-16-2018 01:42 PM
AtlantaJag Offline
Beltbbs USA INsider

I Root For: USA Jaguars
Junior Tra Minter will be South Alabama's top running back. He was one of the nation's leading rushers in JUCO as a freshman. He started out well last year but OL issues really limited what he could do as he only rushed for 341 yards with 3.2 yards per carry. He was a dangerous weapon in the passing game, though as he caught 22 balls for 247 yards. There is virtually no proven deoth behind him, so USA signed four running backs in the last class. The OL situation should be improved somewhat in 2018, so I expect to see much bigger numbers from the running game.
07-16-2018 01:47 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
(07-16-2018 01:42 PM)AtlantaJag Wrote:  
(07-16-2018 11:13 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  

Hasn't had some maturity issues at Troy? I seem to recall his playing time being reduced after some sideline tirades or something like that.

He was suspended for the first half of the Boise State game this past season after a violation of team rules, but besides that he's kept himself in check. He's just an extremely competitive player, and it shows when he's on the field (as you can see in the youtube video previously posted)
07-16-2018 01:51 PM
Advertisement

WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
(07-15-2018 07:12 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  A lot of leading rushers are gone so this is a question mark with several teams.

Coastal - ???
Georgia State - ???
Troy - ???

South - ???

A-State OL coach recently stated in a radio interview that in addition to playing slot WR, Kirk Merritt will also line up at tailback for the Red Wolves. Donovan Marshall, a freshman from St. Louis, also looks to be in the mix with Weh-Weh being the "big" back off a good spring. Also the coach mentioned how we were "limited" in our running game because Blake Mack was more of a big WR than a hands on the ground TE - saying they has to be careful as to what kind of situations they put him in as to not get him injured.

Narrative? We'll see. I'm thinking the run game at stAte is going to be closer to 2012 (Aplin, Gordon, Oku) than 2017.
07-17-2018 09:19 AM
geauxcajuns Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(07-15-2018 08:59 PM)SlickRick12 Wrote:  

Coastal - ???
Georgia State - ???
Troy - ???

South - ???
Trey and Elijah Mitchell. Elijah was hurt last year with a foot injury. Held him out spring practice to heal properly. If well, he and Trey will be tough. Both sophomores and about same size at 5'10" ish, 225 lbs. Mitchell is faster, ran track in HS. Trey is slower, but goes down slow too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I hope I’m wrong, but I think Mitchell’s foot injury is career ending.
07-17-2018 05:21 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(07-17-2018 05:21 PM)geauxcajuns Wrote:  I hope I’m wrong, but I think Mitchell’s foot injury is career ending.

Son of a gun. What did he do, lose a toe?
07-17-2018 07:16 PM
geauxcajuns Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(07-17-2018 07:16 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  
(07-17-2018 05:21 PM)geauxcajuns Wrote:  I hope I’m wrong, but I think Mitchell’s foot injury is career ending.

Son of a gun. What did he do, lose a toe?

Lisfranc, I think.
07-18-2018 01:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.