Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SBC TouristTowns
Bookmark and Share
troutbummike Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian State
SBC TouristTowns
Let's share horror stories. Who are the tourist town "marketz." I will say Boone for starters. Coastal is near enough to MB to deal with them. Mobile probably has some tourism, doesn't it? Georgia Southern probably can't claim tourists. but those fans living nearby in Savannah certainly can. San Marcos seems to have tourist potential. Lafayette and Monroe likely have some culinary and duck-seeking tourists.Georgia State certainly has a plethora of folks from other states in the city, but I wouldn't call them "tourists". Jonesboro doesn't seem like a tourist town to me - do correct me if wrong. Is Troy a vacation destination?

This is tongue in cheek, as I pay my mortgage thanks to touristas.... just thought it might be neat to find what brings tourists into your towns.
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2018 10:31 PM by troutbummike.)
07-05-2018 10:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
RE: SBC TouristTowns
(07-05-2018 10:29 PM)troutbummike Wrote:  Let's share horror stories. Who are the tourist town "marketz." I will say Boone for starters. Coastal is near enough to MB to deal with them. Mobile probably has some tourism, doesn't it? Georgia Southern probably can't claim tourists. but those fans living nearby in Savannah certainly can. San Marcos seems to have tourist potential. Lafayette and Monroe likely have some culinary and duck-seeking tourists.Georgia State certainly has a plethora of folks from other states in the city, but I wouldn't call them "tourists". Jonesboro doesn't seem like a tourist town to me - do correct me if wrong. Is Troy a vacation destination?

This is tongue in cheek, as I pay my mortgage thanks to touristas.... just thought it might be neat to find what brings tourists into your towns.

Troy isn’t a vacation destination itself but it is about a 1.5 to 2 hour drive down the the beach
07-05-2018 11:06 PM
AlwaysSunny Offline
1st String

I Root For: NCAA
If Atlanta isnt a tourist destination these days then I don't know what is. Between six flags and hurricane harbor, the aquarium, world of coke, college football hall of fame, MLK history center, the zoo, civil rights museum, etc....
07-06-2018 12:06 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
We get a ton of tourists in Jonesboro to come see the great summer mosquito migration.
07-06-2018 12:54 AM
ragin4u Offline
WOKE AF

I Root For: Louisiana & Magat Tears
(07-05-2018 10:29 PM)troutbummike Wrote:  Let's share horror stories. Who are the tourist town "marketz." I will say Boone for starters. Coastal is near enough to MB to deal with them. Mobile probably has some tourism, doesn't it? Georgia Southern probably can't claim tourists. but those fans living nearby in Savannah certainly can. San Marcos seems to have tourist potential. Lafayette and Monroe likely have some culinary and duck-seeking tourists.Georgia State certainly has a plethora of folks from other states in the city, but I wouldn't call them "tourists". Jonesboro doesn't seem like a tourist town to me - do correct me if wrong. Is Troy a vacation destination?

If anyone goes to Monroe for the culinary experience, you will be disappointed. I may be biased, however.
07-06-2018 08:44 AM
sdcritter Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
(07-06-2018 12:54 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  We get a ton of tourists in Jonesboro to come see the great summer mosquito migration.

You left out the opportunity to take tour busses and see the variety of rice well fountains that dot the countryside around Jonesboro. 04-cheers
07-06-2018 08:57 AM
Advertisement

EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(07-06-2018 12:06 AM)AlwaysSunny Wrote:  If Atlanta isnt a tourist destination these days then I don't know what is. Between six flags and hurricane harbor, the aquarium, world of coke, college football hall of fame, MLK history center, the zoo, civil rights museum, etc....

True, but it's also difficult to navigate, has lots of bad traffic problems, and has more than a few sketchy areas.
07-06-2018 09:01 AM
CoachWillRob Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
If I was to rank SB Tourist Locations:

1) Atlanta- Biggest city in the South
2a) Boone- Mountains
2b) Conway- Beach
4) Mobile- Port City
5) San Marcos- God Bless Texas
6) Lafayette- The Bayou
7) Monroe- Duck Dynasty
8a) Troy- don't have a clue
8b) Jonesboro- don't have a clue
8c) Statesboro- been there and still don't have a clue
07-06-2018 09:09 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(07-06-2018 09:01 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  
(07-06-2018 12:06 AM)AlwaysSunny Wrote:  If Atlanta isnt a tourist destination these days then I don't know what is. Between six flags and hurricane harbor, the aquarium, world of coke, college football hall of fame, MLK history center, the zoo, civil rights museum, etc....

True, but it's also difficult to navigate, has lots of bad traffic problems, and has more than a few sketchy areas.

Atlanta also has the Braves, Falcons, Hawks and United, Cyclorama and Stone Mountain. Traffic is terrible, I’d rather drive in and out of NYC 4 times a day then drive around ATL.

But I would consider it a tourist destination.
07-06-2018 09:09 AM
Golota76 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ULM
(07-06-2018 08:44 AM)ragin4u Wrote:  

If anyone goes to Monroe for the culinary experience, you will be disappointed. I may be biased, however.

It’s not Lafayette by any means but if people think there’s not good places to eat in Monroe they’re not very bright. I live in Houston area and have traveled across the country and other countries . Monroe for its size has some good places to eat. You’re right you are biased. Lol
07-06-2018 09:22 AM
AppfanInCAAland Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
As a tourist, I've been to Boone, Conway (more correctly Myrtle Beach), and Atlanta. All are nice tourist destinations.

For work, I've been to Lafayette, San Marco, and Mobile. Of the three Mobile is the one I'd most like to go back to as a tourist (sadly, I couldn't go bowling there last year), though I'm sure all have tourism options.

I once stopped for lunch while driving through Monroe. That was enough. The wife got food poisoning.

While I've been to nearby Memphis and Savannah, (both are great for tourists), I can't comment on Jonesboro or Statesboro.

Troy, I have no idea.
07-06-2018 09:27 AM
Advertisement

Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
I know people say Savannah GA (home to one of Georgia Southern's three campuses) is a tourist town but I just don't see it. It's a pretty place with some interesting culture especially near River Street but it doesn't hold a candle to Charleston or Mobile or just about any other southern coastal city of equal or greater size IMHO.
07-06-2018 10:04 AM
SkullyMaroo Online

I Root For: South Alabama
(07-06-2018 09:27 AM)AppfanInCAAland Wrote:  As a tourist, I've been to Boone, Conway (more correctly Myrtle Beach), and Atlanta. All are nice tourist destinations.

For work, I've been to Lafayette, San Marco, and Mobile. Of the three Mobile is the one I'd most like to go back to as a tourist (sadly, I couldn't go bowling there last year), though I'm sure all have tourism options.

I once stopped for lunch while driving through Monroe. That was enough. The wife got food poisoning.

While I've been to nearby Memphis and Savannah, (both are great for tourists), I can't comment on Jonesboro or Statesboro.

Troy, I have no idea.

If you come back to Mobile, if it’s the early part of the year you could celebrate the original Mardi Gras here. We have a Mardi Gras Carnival Museum that shows the history of Mardi Gras. Until you see it you will not understand how involved Mardi Gras is or how elaborate the Mardi Gras trains can be. You can visit the USS Alabama at Battleship Park, which is the top tourist attraction. We are a port city as was mentioned above, so you can depart a Carnival cruise ship. I’d recommend taking a tour from the Duck Boat Tours. You’ll get a tour by land and the the bus turns into a boat and you’re touring Mobile on the water. We also have the Museum of Mobile, Exploreum/IMAX, GulfQuest (maritime museum), and Fort Conde that you could explore. And if you like seafood, go to the Causeway and get some great seafood. Then if you want some night life you’re going to Dauphin Street after hours.
07-06-2018 10:21 AM
Bulldogtrojan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Troy Trojans
Troy is home to the National Band Masters Hall of Fame and Crowe's Chicken. Coming soon is the Clyde May Distillery.
07-06-2018 10:27 AM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
San Marcos definitely has potential but it's also sandwiched between, SA, New Braunfels, and Austin so it gets overlooked but still, the river and outlet malls bring folks in.
07-06-2018 10:33 AM
_x_ Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
(07-06-2018 10:33 AM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  San Marcos definitely has potential but it's also sandwiched between, SA, New Braunfels, and Austin so it gets overlooked but still, the river and outlet malls bring folks in.

I want nothing more than to remain overlooked. The tourists can stay in Austin...
07-06-2018 11:39 AM
Advertisement

Yarddog Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Troy
The nicest places I think are Boone and Sam Marcos. I have spent a lot of time in the Boone area, Grandfather Mountain, Blowing Rock, etc. Really nice in the Summer. I have not been to San Marcos in nearly 50 years but really liked the place. Nice clean river, live oaks, and gorgeous girls. I had my first hash browns there on the square. Good but a little greasy.

I once dated a real cutie from Mobile. Black hair, black eyes and a French name. She lived in one of those old mansions off Government Street. Surprisingly she was a "Southern Baptist. Mobile has it's good and bad things.

I thought Statesboro was nice little town. Plenty of pretty girls too. I spent some time there researching one of my ancestors.

Not much in Troy except for the University. Good places to eat and the campus really is nice. Rivals San Marcos for beautiful girls, and that is saying something. Everyone who lives there seems to like it.

Hate Atlanta and always will.

Don't know much about the other towns.
07-06-2018 12:10 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(07-06-2018 10:04 AM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  I know people say Savannah GA (home to one of Georgia Southern's three campuses) is a tourist town but I just don't see it. It's a pretty place with some interesting culture especially near River Street but it doesn't hold a candle to Charleston or Mobile or just about any other southern coastal city of equal or greater size IMHO.

You stupid or something? Savannah welcomed 10 million tourists last year and had almost a million visit just in St Patrick’s day alone this year. Savannah is consistently ranked one of the top US travel destinations along with Charleston. Never seen Mobile on that list.

Also Savannah is definitely a GS market. Idk what people who say it’s no where near GS are smoking. I can be from my house in the middle of downtown to a campus in less than 10 min.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2018 12:18 PM by TrueBlueDrew.)
07-06-2018 12:15 PM
CajunFan3406 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UL
SBC TouristTowns
(07-06-2018 09:22 AM)Golota76 Wrote:  
(07-06-2018 08:44 AM)ragin4u Wrote:  

It’s not Lafayette by any means but if people think there’s not good places to eat in Monroe they’re not very bright. I live in Houston area and have traveled across the country and other countries . Monroe for its size has some good places to eat. You’re right you are biased. Lol

Abbeville and other small cities surrounding Lafayette have better food than Monroe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
07-06-2018 12:28 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
(07-06-2018 12:15 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  
(07-06-2018 10:04 AM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  I know people say Savannah GA (home to one of Georgia Southern's three campuses) is a tourist town but I just don't see it. It's a pretty place with some interesting culture especially near River Street but it doesn't hold a candle to Charleston or Mobile or just about any other southern coastal city of equal or greater size IMHO.

You stupid or something? Savannah welcomed 10 million tourists last year and had almost a million visit just in St Patrick’s day alone this year. Savannah is consistently ranked one of the top US travel destinations along with Charleston. Never seen Mobile on that list.

Also Savannah is definitely a GS market. Idk what people who say it’s no where near GS are smoking. I can be from my house in the middle of downtown to a campus in less than 10 min.

WTF are you talking about? I said that people say it's a tourist city and never said it wasn't in our market! MY OPINION IS THAT OTHER COASTAL CITY'S ARE NICER PLACES TO VISIT! If you don't agree with my opinion well that's your opinion! I've lived in SE Georgia for most of my adult life and travel across all of the Eastern US for work so next time you want to assert your opinion by calling me stupid you better just back the F off!
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2018 12:36 PM by Georgia_Power_Company.)
07-06-2018 12:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.