Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2018-19 C-USA offseason baseball thread
Bookmark and Share
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

I Root For: Southern Miss
Question 2018-19 C-USA offseason baseball thread
The CWS ends in a few days and summer ball started a few weeks ago. I'll try to update this thread with C-USA baseball news and notes over the offseason.

2019 scheduling sheet .... just a few games in here right now. USM at Mississippi State (Feb. 23-25) and Rice at the Houston College Classic (Mar. 1-3). I believe that Rice has a home series with Texas as well (no date that I've found)??

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...edit#gid=0

Here's the first returning production chart with the draft over and most players having signed. Also have a few other departures accounted for from USM and Rice. MTB (modified total bases) = TB + BB + HBP + SB - CS - GIDP. Should give a rough idea of what teams return for 2019.

[Image: 2pF0rby.png]

[Image: Udw1Q4n.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2019 09:24 PM by BeagleUSM.)
06-24-2018 03:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
RE: 2018-19 C-USA offseason baseball thread
Rice is home vs. Texas weekend one, @Oklahoma weekend two, and the Houston College Classic weekend three.

Not sure for weekend four.
06-24-2018 05:30 AM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

Rice returns our top two starting pitchers (who were pretty good all season).

We also have two decent relievers returning (Garcia and Jefferies). Beyond that, we’ve got bodies but bodies but quality is lacking. We do have some good pitchers in our incoming recruiting class though.

On the offensive end, we lose Proctor, Sarchet, and Chandler but we get a TCU transfer (Edwards) and DiCaprio will be healthy again. Guys like Cruz and Comeaux were decent this year too.

Overall, there’s some talent to work with for Bragga but not an overwhelming amount. Hoping for a regional next year with continued growth beyond.
06-24-2018 05:37 AM
thefaU Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FloridaAtlantic
Appreciate it, Beagle.
06-24-2018 08:00 AM
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

(06-24-2018 05:30 AM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  Rice is home vs. Texas weekend one, @Oklahoma weekend two, and the Houston College Classic weekend three.

Thanks. Another really strong schedule for you guys.

Any idea if Bragga will keep scheduling tough OOC or will he tone it down a little bit?
06-24-2018 01:13 PM
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

Something to keep an eye on over the next few weeks...

http://www.wlox.com/story/38321449/will-...rk-in-2019
06-24-2018 01:17 PM
Advertisement

ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

(06-24-2018 01:13 PM)BeagleUSM Wrote:  
(06-24-2018 05:30 AM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  Rice is home vs. Texas weekend one, @Oklahoma weekend two, and the Houston College Classic weekend three.

Any idea if Bragga will keep scheduling tough OOC or will he tone it down a little bit?

Not sure exactly, but I do know our marquee series are scheduled a couple years out. In 2019, we have Texas Tech and either Texas or Oklahoma. Then in 2020, it’s Tech again and whoever we don’t play in 2019 (can’t remember the order).
06-24-2018 02:25 PM
thefaU Offline
Special Teams

Since Beagle posted this offseason thread, I wanted to take a stab at what our starting lineup might look like for next season:

C - Pages, Lambert as backup; Nowell also available
1B - Lambert, Summerall split
2B - Nizza; DeSantolo most likely to see some playing time
3B - Montes
SS - Urbaez or Alvarez (JuCos)
LF - Rivera
CF - Johnson
RF - Poore or Pino or Revilla or someone else?
DH - DeSantolo, a freshman could make some noise

I know we've got another JuCo or two coming in because of a few unexpected departures (e.g. Ricciardi) so this is only based on what I currently know. We've also got a few incoming freshmen that I could see make an immediate impact, such as Hartigan, Josey, Murray, or Toney, but could also redshirt depending on need.

As for pitching, the starting rotation could truly look like anything. We've got Coletti coming back, who struggled this season imo. Ruff saw some action after Marman went down, while Prather started the season midweek, but was quickly taken out of the rotation. Poore, Sanderson, Swan, and Clemente also return. We've got a few JuCos (e.g. Sandberg) and a lot of incoming freshmen that could get the call for the starting rotation, but it's unclear what will happen, unlike this season with Marman and Miednik. However, we do have our relief Schneider (3.14 ERA, 12-1, 15 SV) returning for next season, which will be huge for us. But, pitching will most likely be an issue again (much like everyone else).

I'd love to see what y'all think your lineups will look like for next season.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2018 04:10 PM by thefaU.)
06-24-2018 05:18 PM
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

I’ll give it a shot, though it’s really early. Several positions up for grabs in the fall.

C - Donaldson and McGrew (JUCO) probably platoon. Would expect Donaldson to get more time of the 2.
1B - Slater
2B - Guidry
3B - McGillis (RS freshman) or Lynch (freshman)
SS - Edwards (JUCO) or McGillis
LF - Montenegro
CF - Maybe Franklin, but I’m hoping LeBlanc (freshman) can beat him out.
RF - Wallner
DH - Bowen or Hoard. Possibly Brant Blaylock (Mississippi State —> JUCO —> USM) but word is he’s going to be used more of a pitcher here. Had big stats in the JUCOs but did poorly at MSU and has been average in summer ball.

Pitching .... Powers and Powell are weekend guys that return. Brooks Warren is a JUCO guy that was drafted in the 20th round and decided to go to school. Big lefty that can throw 90+. Wallner could be an option in the rotation. Carroll has struggled some in his 2 years here but is a Cape Cod guy that has pretty good stuff. Blaylock could be our stopper/closer.
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2018 11:35 PM by BeagleUSM.)
06-24-2018 09:37 PM
Luckyshot Offline
Heisman

(06-24-2018 09:37 PM)BeagleUSM Wrote:  I’ll give it a shot, though it’s really early. Several positions up for grabs in the fall.

C - Donaldson and McGrew (JUCO) probably platoon. Would expect Donaldson to get more time of the 2.
1B - Slater
2B - Guidry
LF - Montenegro
DH - Bowen or Hoard. Possibly Brant Blaylock (Mississippi State —> JUCO —> USM) but word is he’s going to be used more of a pitcher here. Had big stats in the JUCOs but did poorly at MSU and has been average in summer ball.

Pitching .... Powers and Powell are weekend guys that return. Brooks Warren is a JUCO guy that was drafted in the 20th round and decided to go to school. Big lefty that can throw 90+. Wallner could be an option in the rotation. Carroll has struggled some in his 2 years here but is a Cape Cod guy that has pretty good stuff. Blaylock could be our stopper/closer.
RF Walner?
06-24-2018 09:40 PM
thefaU Offline
Special Teams

(06-24-2018 09:40 PM)Luckyshot Wrote:  RF Walner?

Does he really have to play for y'all next season? Haha. x
06-24-2018 09:59 PM
Advertisement

BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

(06-24-2018 09:40 PM)Luckyshot Wrote:  
(06-24-2018 09:37 PM)BeagleUSM Wrote:  I’ll give it a shot, though it’s really early. Several positions up for grabs in the fall.

1B - Slater
2B - Guidry
LF - Montenegro

RF Walner?

Yes! Sorry. Big oversight on my part.
06-24-2018 11:35 PM
FIUFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Good stuff! Thanks for sharing, Beagle.
06-26-2018 05:02 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
(06-24-2018 05:37 AM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  Rice returns our top two starting pitchers (who were pretty good all season).

We also have two decent relievers returning (Garcia and Jefferies). Beyond that, we’ve got bodies but bodies but quality is lacking. We do have some good pitchers in our incoming recruiting class though.

On the offensive end, we lose Proctor, Sarchet, and Chandler but we get a TCU transfer (Edwards) and DiCaprio will be healthy again. Guys like Cruz and Comeaux were decent this year too.

Overall, there’s some talent to work with for Bragga but not an overwhelming amount. Hoping for a regional next year with continued growth beyond.

I'll quibble with your assessment somewhat. On the mound, we return the likely preseason Pitcher of the Year in Canterino and Moss, easily the best 1-2 starters in the conference. Jefferies was more than "decent", and can serve as either our Sunday starter or the jack-of-all-trades out of the bullpen. Garcia and Gayle were way too inconsistent, but both improved dramatically over their Freshman seasons and each showed flashes of brilliiance. Kravetz also showed dramatic improvement, particularly the second half of the season...and, as you said, we've got a couple highly regarded pitchers coming in. Finally, while Parthasarathy was disappointing, Esquivel was injured the entire season, and he has the potential to be a solid mid-week starter or reliever (as he showed his Sophomore year).

Offensively, in addition to the return of DiCaprio (who missed 90% of the season and was never fully healthy), Andrew Dunlap has another year of eligibility, believe it or not, and will likely return as a grad student. Comeaux was not just "decent"; he hit .319/.390/.420 while playing gold glove caliber at 3B, and has another two years of eligibility. True Freshmen Trei Cruz and Justin Collins both has very solid Freshman years at the plate, and can be expected to improve going forward. As you mentioned, Cade Edwards was our best hitter throughout Fall Ball, but had to sit out the season because TCU refused to release him. And the final piece is the Cruz legacy arrives on campus, with Antonio Cruz expected to replace Chandler in CF. I think our offense will be in very good shape, especially with Bragga's reputation as an offensive guru. My only concern is lack of left-handed hitters, with only Gneiting (who had a very disappointing Sophomore year) and Cruz (switch hitter, but better from the right side) returning.

Net, net-- I think you're grossly underestimating the returning talent. The key, IMO, is the necessity of Bragga hiring a reputable pitching coach with strong ties to Texas and Houston high schools.

C DiCaprio, Collins
1B DiCaprio, Collins, Moss
2B Edwards
SS Cruz
3B Comeaux
LF Cox, Dunlap
CF Cruz
RF Gneiting
DH Dunlap, DiCaprio

Starting pitchers: Canterino, Moss, Jefferies/Garcia/Freshmen
Closer: Gayle, Jefferies
Relievers: Kravetz, Bordwine, Parthasarathy, Esquivel, Freshmen
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2018 10:50 AM by waltgreenberg.)
06-27-2018 10:44 AM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

With all that talent, we still managed to go well below .500. How did that happen?
06-27-2018 12:33 PM
cr11owl Offline
All American

(06-27-2018 12:33 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  With all that talent, we still managed to go well below .500. How did that happen?

+100

7th in the conference
06-27-2018 12:47 PM
Advertisement

waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(06-27-2018 12:33 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  With all that talent, we still managed to go well below .500. How did that happen?

Well, for starters, DiCaprio missed virtually the entire season and Dunlap missed over half the season. Our everyday lineup included 4 players who were getting their first taste of D-1 ball (Cruz, Collins, Cox, Comeaux), including 3 true Freshmen, only one of whom was expected to see much playing time this year. Then, in early March, we lost 3 of our projected Top 5 pitchers (Salinas, Moss, Ackers) for anywhere from one month to the whole season.

I do think Bragga will bring in much-needed and long-missing emphasis on fundamentals (which were embarrassingly lacking last season), as well as an aggressive style and edge that has been missing since our glory days.
06-27-2018 12:51 PM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Might want to double check the Rice non con sked.

Texas is at Louisiana to open the season weekend one.
06-27-2018 01:55 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(06-24-2018 02:25 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  

Not sure exactly, but I do know our marquee series are scheduled a couple years out. In 2019, we have Texas Tech and either Texas or Oklahoma. Then in 2020, it’s Tech again and whoever we don’t play in 2019 (can’t remember the order).

Next year we have Texas at home, Tech on the road and our return to the Minute Maid/Astros College Classic. The other non-conference home series is against a lesser, but still Top 150 RPI club whom I can't remember. I believe we resume our home and home with Stanford in 2020.
06-27-2018 02:03 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

(06-27-2018 02:03 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(06-24-2018 02:25 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  

Next year we have Texas at home, Tech on the road and our return to the Minute Maid/Astros College Classic. The other non-conference home series is against a lesser, but still Top 150 RPI club whom I can't remember. I believe we resume our home and home with Stanford in 2020.

Gotcha, I thought we had OU coming up at some point as well.
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2018 02:38 PM by ExcitedOwl18.)
06-27-2018 02:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.