Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Paul Cairney no longer UNCW Women's Soccer Coach
Bookmark and Share
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Paul Cairney no longer UNCW Women's Soccer Coach
Since we don't have a thread on it yet....

http://www.wect.com/story/38469787/uncw-...university

UNCW coach accused of sexual misconduct no longer with the university

Wednesday, June 20th 2018, 5:06 pm EDT
By: Brandon Wissbaum, Assignment Manager

WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) -

Longtime UNCW women’s soccer coach Paul Cairney is no longer with the university, a spokesperson confirmed Wednesday.

The spokesperson would not say whether Cairney was fired or if he resigned.

A request for comment from Cairney and his attorney was not immediately returned.

Cairney had been on paid administrative leave since December 2017 after the university learned of an allegation on social media of a 1997 incident involving a female soccer camp attendee. The alleged victim also filed a Title IX complaint, which prompted the university’s inquiry into the matter.

The New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office investigated the 1997 incident in 2007, but closed the case after the alleged victim declined to provide charges.

After the allegation began circulating on social media last year, the sheriff’s office contacted the alleged victim to potentially re-open the investigation, but she declined.

During the course of its Title IX inquiry, UNCW rediscovered a second claim of sexual misconduct against Cairney, which was initially made via email in May 2004 by a woman to a member of the university’s athletic department.

University administration closed its investigation into the matter a week later without taking any personnel action against Cairney.

In response to the allegations, District Attorney Ben David, along with UNCW Police Chief David Donaldson and New Hanover County Sheriff Ed McMahon, requested the State Bureau of Investigation conduct an outside review of the claims.

A spokesperson with the SBI confirmed Wednesday afternoon that the agency is in talks with the District Attorney's Office about the case.

"We just received the report and one of my senior prosecutors is reviewing it now," David said. "We should be able to know within the next 10 days if there will be any charges."
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2018 07:10 AM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
06-21-2018 07:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hall of Famer

RE: Paul Cairney no longer UNCW Women's Soccer Coach
I guess because the case(s) are being re-opened by outside investigators, the University/Administration didn't want the distraction hanging around?

It's disingenuous though. If they were going to take action it should have been in 2004 after the 2nd allegation came up. I believe that would have fallen on the first year or second year of the DePaolo era to handle that.
06-21-2018 07:12 AM
Hall of Famer

In 2015, Cairney was a candidate for national coach of the year: http://uncwsports.com/news/2015/12/1/WSO...54303.aspx
06-21-2018 07:18 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
(06-21-2018 07:12 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  I guess because the case(s) are being re-opened by outside investigators, the University/Administration didn't want the distraction hanging around?

It's disingenuous though. If they were going to take action it should have been in 2004 after the 2nd allegation came up. I believe that would have fallen on the first year or second year of the DePaolo era to handle that.

The administration wasn't aware of the first allegation until December of last year. It was handled through the Sheriffs department. And with a new set of administrators now, they weren't aware of the 2nd allegation until they began to investigate the first.

These kinds of allegations are impossible to DISPROVE. It's a lose/lose for the university if they keep him on board. They have to prepare for next season as well as recruiting. I know for a fact they waited as long as possible for his name to be cleared, but the SBI took this over and dragged their feet the whole time. They also would have to deal with the fact that these allegations would always loom over him as a coach.
06-21-2018 07:25 AM
Rueben Kincaid Offline
Water Engineer

82 if you are who I project you to be I am sure that you have lots of inside info. I don't know this but my theory was that this was taken over by the Title IX office which with almost all Universities has lots of power does not allow any due process and is incapable of conducting an investigation. I feel that all investigations like this should be handled by city or county police and never by University police or Title IX, they do not have resources or experience to handle sex assault cases and often leave the accused in an awful position.
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2018 07:57 AM by Rueben Kincaid.)
06-21-2018 07:53 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

Timing is everything, dealing with the Williams/baseball mess now this. Not a good look for the Dub here recently.
06-21-2018 08:19 AM
Advertisement

Hall of Famer

(06-21-2018 08:19 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Timing is everything, dealing with the Williams/baseball mess now this. Not a good look for the Dub here recently.

Maybe this story will deflect from the Williams one? Silver lining?
06-21-2018 09:29 AM
Rueben Kincaid Offline
Water Engineer

A man losing his job and reputation is not a silver lining. I don't know all the info but I hope we learn the truth. Williams just got the shaft maybe he will use his lessons from DOD and play some hard ball with UNCW
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2018 09:55 AM by Rueben Kincaid.)
06-21-2018 09:53 AM
Hall of Famer

(06-21-2018 09:53 AM)Rueben Kincaid Wrote:  A man losing his job and reputation is not a silver lining. I don't know all the info but I hope we learn the truth. Williams just got the shaft maybe he will use his lessons from DOD and play some hard ball with UNCW

True but if the investigation finds out he did something serious, its hard to have sympathy for him, despite his long tenure and successes. I hope he did nothing wrong, and innocent until proven guilty. But if you don't want your reputation tarnished you have to hold yourself to a high standard and not put yourself in situations where this could even be a thing. Getting accused twice, even over a long period of time between them and years ago, is kind of a "where there's smoke, there's fire" situation, no?
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2018 10:15 AM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
06-21-2018 10:13 AM
Seahawk4Him Offline
Water Engineer

(06-21-2018 10:13 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(06-21-2018 09:53 AM)Rueben Kincaid Wrote:  A man losing his job and reputation is not a silver lining. I don't know all the info but I hope we learn the truth. Williams just got the shaft maybe he will use his lessons from DOD and play some hard ball with UNCW

True but if the investigation finds out he did something serious, its hard to have sympathy for him, despite his long tenure and successes. I hope he did nothing wrong, and innocent until proven guilty. But if you don't want your reputation tarnished you have to hold yourself to a high standard and not put yourself in situations where this could even be a thing. Getting accused twice, even over a long period of time between them and years ago, is kind of a "where there's smoke, there's fire" situation, no?
Not necessarily. The "Me Too" movement may put a lot of innocent people in jeopardy. Don't have a clue if this is true or not but there's always the risk of an innocent man being found guilty. Look at the Duke lacrosse team. There's a reason the young accuser refuses to talk. Who knows.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using CSNbbs mobile app
06-21-2018 11:13 AM
Rueben Kincaid Offline
Water Engineer

I hope the truth comes out either way. I would hope it is a false claim but if not then legal system should take its course and handle it.
06-21-2018 11:20 AM
Advertisement

B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
I thought I read in the article that the sheriff's dept COMPLETED a full investigation and he was cleared? Is that not the legal system taking its course?

I'm confused right now. Did the university fire him to keep themselves outside of a "discussion" on the topic? Do they know more? Not sure on that either because it sounds like he was cleared by BOTH investigations.

This story needs more attention...

Alex? Star News?
06-21-2018 12:38 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
(06-21-2018 11:13 AM)Seahawk4Him Wrote:  
(06-21-2018 10:13 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  

Not necessarily. The "Me Too" movement may put a lot of innocent people in jeopardy. Don't have a clue if this is true or not but there's always the risk of an innocent man being found guilty. Look at the Duke lacrosse team. There's a reason the young accuser refuses to talk. Who knows.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using CSNbbs mobile app

Nailed it 4Him. The "Me Too" movement was initially directed at some Hollywood rats that seem to have evaded punishment for years of questionable behaviors, but then it went viral and the court of "public opinion" seemed to begin to outweigh the actual court of justice. People losing their jobs over allegations -- well before proven guilty or innocent. That's a problem.
06-21-2018 12:40 PM
Rueben Kincaid Offline
Water Engineer

The article also said the SBI recently began an investigation and would inform DA if charges would be coming. So even though he had been cleared a couple times it seems SBI is reviewing the case again. Since the title IX office could be involved it can be scary because they go on standard of "more likely than not" and the officer can determine what the punishment is.
06-21-2018 01:00 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-21-2018 01:00 PM)Rueben Kincaid Wrote:  The article also said the SBI recently began an investigation and would inform DA if charges would be coming. So even though he had been cleared a couple times it seems SBI is reviewing the case again. Since the title IX office could be involved it can be scary because they go on standard of "more likely than not" and the officer can determine what the punishment is.

Any administrative university hearing put this accused in a lose lose situation. Best case scenario for an accused: your reputation is ruined but you are not harmed by job loss or expulsion. I know they dont like you to have an attorney either
06-21-2018 01:55 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

Here is a good article I found about title 9 hearings compared to standard judicial proceedings

https://www.bostonlawyerblog.com/2014/10...need-know/
06-21-2018 02:07 PM
Advertisement

geezerhawkdad Offline
2nd String

Colleges are required to report all assaults on campus to the Education Department's Office of Civil Rights. From the article included in the first post, it is not clear that was done after the 2004 allegations. It may not have been required in 1997 when the first investigation took place.

UNC-Chapel Hill's longtime women's soccer coach was sued by several former players over alleged assaults and innuendos. Many players defended him and denied the allegations.

Videos of Coach Cairney can still be accessed on the College website.
06-21-2018 04:14 PM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

I'm hoping this isn't just a title IX witch hunt.
06-21-2018 08:46 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

No criminal charges will be filed.
06-22-2018 10:14 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

He was fired on a Wednesday and criminally cleared on a Friday. I find that kinda suspicious. They couldn't have waited until the criminal investigation was complete?
06-22-2018 10:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.