UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pack your bags boys, looks like Christmas in Hawaii this year.
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
Pack your bags boys, looks like Christmas in Hawaii this year.
06-19-2018 07:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rook360 Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
RE: Pack your bags boys, looks like Christmas in Hawaii this year.
If They go to Hawaii I'm cancelling my season tickets and letting them know don't contact me for any athletic donations.

I was contacted by the ticket office and in the conversation let the guy on the phone know if we make it to a bowl and it's outside the US, to cancel my tickets. He replied he has heard the same 'concerns' already.
06-19-2018 07:21 PM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
(06-19-2018 07:21 PM)rook360 Wrote:  If They go to Hawaii I'm cancelling my season tickets and letting them know don't contact me for any athletic donations.

I was contacted by the ticket office and in the conversation let the guy on the phone know if we make it to a bowl and it's outside the US, to cancel my tickets. He replied he has heard the same 'concerns' already.

fortunately, Hawaii is still inside the US.
can i nominate this for the worst post ever?
06-19-2018 08:04 PM
B'ham Blazer Online
All American

This is just a silly list...........guesses at best. I will be glad we are in a bowl, which we will be!
06-19-2018 08:09 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I understand it, though. I'm sorry, but the majority of the fan base which is not affluent can't just drop and go to the Bahamas or Hawaii on short notice at Christmas. Simple as that. I'm hoping for somewhere I can drive to and find my own (non-resort) place to stay.

That said, predicting a team's record and which bowl they'll go to at this point is nonsense anyway.
06-19-2018 08:13 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Agree band dad. I’d bet Mark Ingram’s paycheck that we will be going somewhere fan friendly this year. ;-)
06-19-2018 08:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(06-19-2018 08:13 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  I understand it, though. I'm sorry, but the majority of the fan base which is not affluent can't just drop and go to the Bahamas or Hawaii on short notice at Christmas. Simple as that. I'm hoping for somewhere I can drive to and find my own (non-resort) place to stay.

That said, predicting a team's record and which bowl they'll go to at this point is nonsense anyway.

I can agree that UAB as a relatively young school has a very shallow pool of alumni with the financial capability to drop business to make distant travel to bowl games, needs to play closer to home than some other programs I can think of. I don't know the present ins and outs of bowl - school pairing decisions, but UAB does need to consider its fans in the match up. Having a good reputation for traveling fans can be valuable for the future in other than bowl decisions - like getting home and home game contracts.
06-19-2018 08:49 PM
4thDownBlazer Offline
Special Teams

Think New Orleans...will be surprised if that’s not the bowl. But, HCBC is more concerned about recruiting. So, if Hawaii is available it wouldn’t surprise me...
06-19-2018 10:35 PM
rook360 Offline
All American

(06-19-2018 08:04 PM)LairDweller Wrote:  
(06-19-2018 07:21 PM)rook360 Wrote:  If They go to Hawaii I'm cancelling my season tickets and letting them know don't contact me for any athletic donations.

You know what else you can do this morning. it involves your head and a hole in the ground. 03-lmfao

How about outside the US mainland. Feel better and superior now. 04-bow
06-20-2018 07:05 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

This message board is around 15 years old and has several years of posts from Blazersax, BamanBlazerfan, BirminghamJoseph, and many other strange characters. Absolutely no way this is the worst post ever. Top 25 maybe, but not the worst.
06-20-2018 08:01 AM
jcduncan13 Offline
All American

New Orleans or Camellia Bowl please.
06-20-2018 08:24 AM
Advertisement

LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
(06-20-2018 07:05 AM)rook360 Wrote:  

You know what else you can do this morning. it involves your head and a hole in the ground. 03-lmfao

How about outside the US mainland. Feel better and superior now. 04-bow

in all fairness, i thought the really dumb part was pulling support from a program that rises from the dead and goes to 2 straight bowls--bc you dont like the bowls

lets go back 3 years in the past...imagine someone says "sure, i'll buy season tickets. im SUPER excited about the return. BUT if the team goes to bowls outside the mainland in each of the first two years, IM DONE!!"--just imagine the response
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2018 08:27 AM by LairDweller.)
06-20-2018 08:25 AM
blazers9911 Online
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
It was stated many times the Bahamas bowl was done as a reward for the players and staff that hung around and had one of the best seasons in program history. It was annoying as a fan that we couldn’t make the bowl, but I completely understood. My guess is Clark will reward the fans this time around if we have options.
06-20-2018 08:30 AM
blazerball25 Offline
Special Teams

You, sir, are an absolute dope. That’s all.
06-20-2018 10:24 AM
rook360 Offline
All American

(06-20-2018 08:30 AM)blazers9911 Wrote:  It was stated many times the Bahamas bowl was done as a reward for the players and staff that hung around and had one of the best seasons in program history. It was annoying as a fan that we couldn’t make the bowl, but I completely understood. My guess is Clark will reward the fans this time around if we have options.

And I think most fans understand that. I had no problem with that. My problem, or concern on my part is, we've only been to two (2) bowls in the programs existence.

The Hawaii bowl was awesome because it was our first, but only so many fans can afford to go. Cool, it was our first.

The Bahamas bowl was our second, but 1st bowl back, and yes it was a reward to the players. Cool

At some point... the majority of people who actually spend money on tickets and donations would like to enjoy a post season game in person.

"in all fairness, i thought the really dumb part was pulling support from a program that rises from the dead and goes to 2 straight bowls--bc you dont like the bowls"
In fairness, IT'S MY MONEY. As I said, I think the players who worked hard and came back or volunteered to come here earned it. At the same time the fans, students, and supporters who put their funds toward the programs would like to enjoy going to see a bowl game.

*quick edit. Granted this is a too early to count projection. i get it. What should be noted is when I stated my thoughts to the person on the line at the ticket office, they mentioned I wasn't the first or only one to state that.
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2018 10:41 AM by rook360.)
06-20-2018 10:26 AM
Blazerstadium Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: an OCS
First off, schools don’t have complete authority on which bowl they go to. We could pull a LaTech from a couple years ago and just turn down all Bowl 8nvites because we don’t like the location or matchup.

The bowl is a reward for the players and program, not the fans. To even insinuate that you’d pull your funding because the team is having historical success but isn’t convenient for you to go to the bowl game is asinine.

I guess you’d pull you funding from basketball if they make the NCAA regional and are sent to California???

I want my guys in a bowl, I want them to succeed, i will support them wherever they go, even if it’s front of my TV because I can’t get to whichever location they are.
06-20-2018 11:18 AM
Advertisement

rook360 Offline
All American

(06-20-2018 11:18 AM)Blazerstadium Wrote:  First off, schools don’t have complete authority on which bowl they go to. We could pull a LaTech from a couple years ago and just turn down all Bowl 8nvites because we don’t like the location or matchup.

The bowl is a reward for the players and program, not the fans. To even insinuate that you’d pull your funding because the team is having historical success but isn’t convenient for you to go to the bowl game is asinine.

I guess you’d pull you funding from basketball if they make the NCAA regional and are sent to California???

I want my guys in a bowl, I want them to succeed, i will support them wherever they go, even if it’s front of my TV because I can’t get to whichever location they are.

To be honest, I'm not a basket fan, but I try to support it by buying tickets and going to a game or 3 a year. Once again, my money. I could care less where they go. (Blasphemous on this board I'm sure, but no more blasphemous than some things said on here during the shutdown)

I understand how bowls are picked, I also know conferences and schools can try to offer input. If that's not the case then how did Clark let the players 'choose' the Bahamas as a reward. It was stated many times the Bahamas bowl was done as a reward for the players and staff that hung around and had one of the best seasons in program history. 
So either you have a choice or you don't.

How do you think we got the program back? You don't think big donors threatened to pull or withhold funds. Noticed the campaign for UAB slowed down during the shutdown.

So is it too much to want to be able attend a post season bowl?
That s cool. I'll take the heat even though there are others that see my point. I love for our guys to make post season, It was annoying as a fan that we couldn’t make the bowl. UAB as a relatively young school has a very shallow pool of alumni with the financial capability to drop business to make distant travel to bowl games, especially the last two.

But we can go on all day.
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2018 12:18 PM by rook360.)
06-20-2018 11:51 AM
Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB
I don't know if people really agree with you about it being frustrating, however you're being a bit extreme about it.
06-20-2018 12:31 PM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

I Root For: The U, UaB
(06-20-2018 11:51 AM)rook360 Wrote:  
(06-20-2018 11:18 AM)Blazerstadium Wrote:  First off, schools don’t have complete authority on which bowl they go to. We could pull a LaTech from a couple years ago and just turn down all Bowl 8nvites because we don’t like the location or matchup.

To be honest, I'm not a basket fan, but I try to support it by buying tickets and going to a game or 3 a year. Once again, my money. I could care less where they go. (Blasphemous on this board I'm sure, but no more blasphemous than some things said on here during the shutdown)

I understand how bowls are picked, I also know conferences and schools can try to offer input. If that's not the case then how did Clark let the players 'choose' the Bahamas as a reward. It was stated many times the Bahamas bowl was done as a reward for the players and staff that hung around and had one of the best seasons in program history. 

How do you think we got the program back? You don't think big donors threatened to pull or withhold funds. Noticed the campaign for UAB slowed down during the shutdown.

That s cool. I'll take the heat even though there are others that see my point. I love for our guys to make post season, It was annoying as a fan that we couldn’t make the bowl. UAB as a relatively young school has a very shallow pool of alumni with the financial capability to drop business to make distant travel to bowl games, especially the last two.

I see your point. Plus we are 0-2 non mainland bowls.

Wouldn't mind a bham bowl appearance, against a southeastern P5 to see what it would draw.
06-20-2018 01:59 PM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

I Root For: The U, UaB
(06-20-2018 11:51 AM)rook360 Wrote:  

I see your point. Plus we are 0-2 non mainland bowls.

Wouldn't mind a bham bowl appearance, against a southeastern P5 to see what it would draw.
06-20-2018 01:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.