Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

In Spite of the Big 12's Revenue Distribution It Doesn't Seem Much Has Really Changed
Bookmark and Share
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
In Spite of the Big 12's Revenue Distribution It Doesn't Seem Much Has Really Changed
....at least according to these pundits.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college...five-years
06-04-2018 11:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
RE: In Spite of the Big 12's Revenue Distribution It Doesn't Seem Much Has Really Changed
No crazy expansion predictions from that panel. One guy wanted expansion to 12, most said the conference remains viable as long as Texas and OU are happy. Regardless, in my opinion, as long as Texas sees value in in being in a conference, the B12 will still exist.

As a hog fan, I would like to see Texas go independent in football just so my hogs could schedule a long home-home series with them.
06-05-2018 05:32 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
RE: In Spite of the Big 12's Revenue Distribution It Doesn't Seem Much Has Really Changed
I think the Big 12 is a little more secure assuming OU and UT don't get offers they can't refuse from someone else.

I don't see them expanding though.

I think a lot will still depend on how the networks shake out in a few years.
06-05-2018 11:13 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(06-05-2018 05:32 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  No crazy expansion predictions from that panel. One guy wanted expansion to 12, most said the conference remains viable as long as Texas and OU are happy. Regardless, in my opinion, as long as Texas sees value in in being in a conference, the B12 will still exist.

As a hog fan, I would like to see Texas go independent in football just so my hogs could schedule a long home-home series with them.

After that Lucy like fake out from the B12, I don't see how they could broach the expansion topic again. Besides, it proved to be the correct decision.
06-05-2018 03:59 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

(06-05-2018 05:32 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  No crazy expansion predictions from that panel. One guy wanted expansion to 12, most said the conference remains viable as long as Texas and OU are happy. Regardless, in my opinion, as long as Texas sees value in in being in a conference, the B12 will still exist.

Playing Texas every year would be awesome.
06-05-2018 04:55 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(06-04-2018 11:29 PM)JRsec Wrote:  ....at least according to these pundits.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college...five-years

(06-05-2018 04:55 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  

Playing Texas every year would be awesome.

That would appease the old hog fans/SWC/pre-SEC fanbase and keeping the SEC sleight we satisfy the younger fans.
06-05-2018 06:59 PM
Advertisement

Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
Would Texas as a partial to the SEC ever be considered? I couldn't imagine them getting the ND deal that included major bowls, but at least a scheduling agreement where Texas plays 4-5 SEC schools a year with Arkansas/Texas A&M being more frequently (or less frequent in the case of A&M if the case need be)?
06-05-2018 10:43 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(06-05-2018 10:43 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  Would Texas as a partial to the SEC ever be considered? I couldn't imagine them getting the ND deal that included major bowls, but at least a scheduling agreement where Texas plays 4-5 SEC schools a year with Arkansas/Texas A&M being more frequently (or less frequent in the case of A&M if the case need be)?

The SEC by bylaws doesn't do partials. You are either all in or all out. Now if Texas wanted to schedule home and home games with 5 SEC schools that would be another matter, but they would do so as an independent.
06-05-2018 10:56 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(06-05-2018 10:56 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(06-05-2018 10:43 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  Would Texas as a partial to the SEC ever be considered? I couldn't imagine them getting the ND deal that included major bowls, but at least a scheduling agreement where Texas plays 4-5 SEC schools a year with Arkansas/Texas A&M being more frequently (or less frequent in the case of A&M if the case need be)?

The SEC by bylaws doesn't do partials. You are either all in or all out. Now if Texas wanted to schedule home and home games with 5 SEC schools that would be another matter, but they would do so as an independent.

If not way for Texas be able to schedule that many SEC teams would be if they went independent in football. Only two places would probably take Texas as a football independent; the ACC and the AAC.

Suppose the SEC strikes first and adds OU and OSU. Then the Big 12 and its members have to evaluate what the next steps are and what is best for the conference and the individual schools. If Texas decides they would rather go independent in football, then UT would field the best offer from the AAC, ACC and what’s left of the Big 12 to determine where it wants to park all the Longhorn Olympic sports—namely number required yearly football games against host conference.

The Big 12 would probably yield to all wishes just to remain P5-ish. I could see Texas getting a 3 game deal with one yearly against Texas Tech. Looking at Texas’ schedule if the horns sign four traditional rivals to yearly contests we’ll have:

Texas Big 12 games: Texas Tech, B12 school, Big 12 School
Texas yearly rivals: Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Arkansas

That would leave Texas with six (6) yearly open dates to schedule whoever they wanted. East coast, west coast or northern opponents, it’ll all be available to the horns.
06-06-2018 04:30 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
For all UT's very loud, public and constant criticism of the SEC, they seem to have no problem turning to us for quality OOC matchups they desperately need to provide the SOS and fan interest that the Big 12 simply can't provide.

They aren't allowed to say it publicly, but losing two of the 3 games they care most about and the last remaining one never being in Austin has hurt their fan base immensely. Okie State, Tech and West Virginia are not Oklahoma, A&M and Arkansas and never will be.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2018 12:41 PM by 10thMountain.)
06-06-2018 12:36 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(06-06-2018 12:36 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  For all UT's very loud, public and constant criticism of the SEC, they seem to have no problem turning to us for quality OOC matchups they desperately need to provide the SOS and fan interest that the Big 12 simply can't provide.

They aren't allowed to say it publicly, but losing two of the 3 games they care most about and the last remaining one never being in Austin has hurt their fan base immensely. Okie State, Tech and West Virginia are not Oklahoma, A&M and Arkansas and never will be.

What would be interesting is if Oklahoma joined A&M and Arkansas in the SEC, how much pressure would be put on the Texas President and AD to join them? Sure would be a fun division.
06-07-2018 12:59 AM
Advertisement

10thMountain Offline
Heisman

They'd be caught between needing to be in the SEC to have competition their fans care about and the immense political pressure of not abandoning the 3 other Texas schools all of whom have good representation in the legislature and their own internal ego and it's inability to admit they're just not that good on an even playing field like the SEC.

Would be hilarious to watch
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2018 12:55 PM by 10thMountain.)
06-07-2018 12:54 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
(06-05-2018 10:56 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

If it happened I think it would be more of a "scheduling alliance" kind of deal where they simply schedule a bunch predetermined games with SEC schools. Don't see the SEC fully absorbing other sports or formalizing anything.
06-08-2018 10:21 AM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(06-06-2018 12:36 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  For all UT's very loud, public and constant criticism of the SEC, they seem to have no problem turning to us for quality OOC matchups they desperately need to provide the SOS and fan interest that the Big 12 simply can't provide.

I hope that you, as a Big XII survivor, are enjoying this as much as I am.04-cheers
06-08-2018 02:52 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

(06-08-2018 02:52 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  

I hope that you, as a Big XII survivor, are enjoying this as much as I am.04-cheers

We ARE entertained! 04-cheers

Nothing I love more than my sip co-worker who hears us talking about our SEC games this week and then trying to talk up their big game against K-state because there's such parity or something in the L10 and how that somehow makes a game against a school theyd never ever sign a series with if they weren't trapped in the same conference somehow meaningful
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2018 04:21 PM by 10thMountain.)
06-08-2018 04:16 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(06-08-2018 04:16 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  

Nothing I love more than my sip co-worker who hears us talking about our SEC games this week and then trying to talk up their big game against K-state because there's such parity or something in the L10 and how that somehow makes a game against a school theyd never ever sign a series with if they weren't trapped in the same conference somehow meaningful

It's a lot like the Evil Queen (Texas) and Snow White (Oklahoma) beating the hell out of the dwarfs and one drunken Mountaineer (who doesn't really fit the story). In other words it's eerily reminiscent of child abuse.
06-08-2018 04:53 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(06-08-2018 04:53 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(06-08-2018 04:16 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  

It's a lot like the Evil Queen (Texas) and Snow White (Oklahoma) beating the hell out of the dwarfs and one drunken Mountaineer (who doesn't really fit the story). In other words it's eerily reminiscent of child abuse.

Are you implying that Texas and OU are in a same-sex marriage?
06-09-2018 07:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
If the SEC went to 16, so would the ACC and B1G. Which means West Virginia would move as well.

Nebraska hasn’t been happy in the B1G, wonder if Texas would make a run to get them back into the Big 12, just add some relevance back to that conference.
06-10-2018 10:10 AM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(06-10-2018 10:10 AM)Usajags Wrote:  If the SEC went to 16, so would the ACC and B1G. Which means West Virginia would move as well.

Nebraska hasn’t been happy in the B1G, wonder if Texas would make a run to get them back into the Big 12, just add some relevance back to that conference.

Let me take this question... NO. Texas and Nebraska are like Oil and water.
06-10-2018 12:23 PM
OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

I Root For: Canine & Avian
(06-10-2018 12:23 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(06-10-2018 10:10 AM)Usajags Wrote:  If the SEC went to 16, so would the ACC and B1G. Which means West Virginia would move as well.

Let me take this question... NO. Texas and Nebraska are like Oil and water.
Nebraska's heyday was the former Big 8, and that didn't include Texas. That won't be re-created.
06-10-2018 12:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.