Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Social Gastro closed
Bookmark and Share
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
I (arrogantly, lol) said it then and repeat it now, Pittsburgh style. Neither of Grad's efforts fit the need at that location. It MIGHT have worked at that little strip Talmadge and Central with more of an OH crowd but Secor-Dorr?

Toledo has a LARGE number of P-Burg fans. I've never heard of a Pittsburgh style eatery/pub but then, no competition. Wouldn't really want a chain, preferring something of his own making but if he could get a Primanti's here, I think it would hold a crowd.

Hope he takes a third shot, his name needs to be on campus. I like the little Japanese place next door. Not so sure that bubble tea place is to my liking. The book store is perusable. But something with student friendly prices, to draw an evening crowd would be nice there, no?

What would you want to be there?
05-15-2018 04:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DetroitRocket Online
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: OT: Social Gastro closed
You don't have to look very far to see that the anchor on that corner, Barnes and Noble, is also in serious financial trouble.
05-15-2018 04:57 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I wouldn't even know where to look for such info. I know they closed their main store in home country: Ann Arbor. Think it's a bad location for that kind of store or is it the kind just going to the internet?

I'd like to think there will always be a place for the peruse buyer but kids these days, see the world through a screen. I guess that's their "perusing."

You think Secor-Dorr corner is doomed for retail? Ann Arbor still seems to be booming with shoppers. I'd hope there's market for at least a little taste, around UT.
05-15-2018 05:01 PM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Anyone going into the restaurant business should think about getting a large wad of $100's and setting them on fire so they understand what it is going to feel like once they open the doors. It is probably the toughest business there is to succeed in. Upscale restaurants are virtually a thing of the past - hardly anyone gets dressed up to go out to eat anymore (teens turning their ballcaps so the bill is in front of their face instead of covering the back of their neck is not considered getting dressed up). Therefore you are competing against every type of food establishment and franchise out there. Very few restaurants last more than 5 years (although I looked it up and that is the stated average life of a restaurant).

Too bad it closed - I wanted to give it a try sometime when I was down in Toledo. Just always seemed to be in a rush or it was a holiday weekend with other plans. Never been to a Gastro Pub.
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2018 11:06 PM by MotoRocket.)
05-15-2018 11:01 PM
DetroitRocket Online
Heisman

I Root For:
Should have kept the original name, Gradkowski's, and made it a sports bar to attract UT students and younger people.
05-16-2018 02:42 AM
crusher38 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USC and Toledo
(05-15-2018 04:43 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  I (arrogantly, lol) said it then and repeat it now, Pittsburgh style. Neither of Grad's efforts fit the need at that location. It MIGHT have worked at that little strip Talmadge and Central with more of an OH crowd but Secor-Dorr?

Toledo has a LARGE number of P-Burg fans. I've never heard of a Pittsburgh style eatery/pub but then, no competition. Wouldn't really want a chain, preferring something of his own making but if he could get a Primanti's here, I think it would hold a crowd.

Hope he takes a third shot, his name needs to be on campus. I like the little Japanese place next door. Not so sure that bubble tea place is to my liking. The book store is perusable. But something with student friendly prices, to draw an evening crowd would be nice there, no?

if he could get a primanti's here? i'm sorry but where have you been lately? anytime someone gets a national brand like del taco, or something very cool we dont have here, the vast majority of the people here say "we dont need it!!!"

then complain when other things bypass toledo in favor of columbus and other places.

so the people here are more than fine with eating nasty ass hot dogs and overpaying for them in the process.

there will always the one homer who will yell how great ideal hot dog or mancy's is, yet the rest of the world has no idea about it.

toledo is stuck in the past in every way
05-16-2018 04:32 AM
Advertisement

SylRocketFan Offline
Bench Warmer

(05-16-2018 04:32 AM)crusher38 Wrote:  
(05-15-2018 04:43 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  I (arrogantly, lol) said it then and repeat it now, Pittsburgh style. Neither of Grad's efforts fit the need at that location. It MIGHT have worked at that little strip Talmadge and Central with more of an OH crowd but Secor-Dorr?

if he could get a primanti's here? i'm sorry but where have you been lately? anytime someone gets a national brand like del taco, or something very cool we dont have here, the vast majority of the people here say "we dont need it!!!"

then complain when other things bypass toledo in favor of columbus and other places.

so the people here are more than fine with eating nasty ass hot dogs and overpaying for them in the process.

there will always the one homer who will yell how great ideal hot dog or mancy's is, yet the rest of the world has no idea about it.

toledo is stuck in the past in every way

I think this is a little harsh although I don't disagree completely. To say that the city (and I am including suburbs) is in the past in every way is a little tough regarding food. And no I am not saying go get a hot dog or go to Mancy's. There are a host of good options around town such as Swig, 5th Street Pub, Plat9, Barr's Public House, Fowl and Fodder, Grumpy's, Registry Bistro, and a lot more I haven't even thought of. The development along Secor between Central and Monroe/Sylvania has also brought about some more options closer to campus with First Watch, Fuasian and the pizza place going in. Side-note - they had a Del Taco and it closed because Del Taco, for lack of a better word, sucks.

On the main topic - it would be really nice to get something trendy but not so much upscale here. Something that serves good, affordable food during the day and takes on a slightly upscale college bar scene at night. I am just about 5 years removed from UT and bars with games (think Giant Jenga or Connect 4) are more and more popular. You see something similar to this downtown at the Tin Can. Overall I do agree there is some hay to be made developing a bar and restaurant scene close to campus possibly right along Secor near the Gateway.
05-16-2018 07:19 AM
DetroitRocket Online
Heisman

I Root For:
I'm not going to take the time to dig it out, but Toledo has had a long standing reputation as being a great place for food. In fact, many of the chain operations (not upscale) have brought new products to Toledo first to test before they do a national roll out.
05-16-2018 08:11 AM
indianasniff Offline
All American

I tried the place and enjoyed it. But it did not look like a place to welcome the students to come in.

The center itself is too small to be an attraction from the region so it has to serve the students. That should be the target

New name. "Bruce's Barrel". I remember him using one on the sidelines alot
05-16-2018 08:34 AM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(05-15-2018 04:57 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  You don't have to look very far to see that the anchor on that corner, Barnes and Noble, is also in serious financial trouble.

Yep and its only time before pressure and efforts by the State on UT (and all colleges) to reduce student costs, which has included reducing costs of books and instructional materials, drives textbook business away which is really all there is left.
05-16-2018 01:37 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(05-15-2018 05:01 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  I wouldn't even know where to look for such info. I know they closed their main store in home country: Ann Arbor. Think it's a bad location for that kind of store or is it the kind just going to the internet?

I'd like to think there will always be a place for the peruse buyer but kids these days, see the world through a screen. I guess that's their "perusing."

You think Secor-Dorr corner is doomed for retail? Ann Arbor still seems to be booming with shoppers. I'd hope there's market for at least a little taste, around UT.

If Secor-Dorr developed faster and kept better pace with Secor-Westgate they may have had a choice, but not any more. Most students have cars and are more than happy to travel up Secor for food etc....
05-16-2018 01:39 PM
Advertisement

PaulJ Offline
1st String

(05-16-2018 02:42 AM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  Should have kept the original name, Gradkowski's, and made it a sports bar to attract UT students and younger people.

I would agree, thought original branding and rebranding were both off for the market and customer base. But in terms of sports bars, they are dead or dying all along Dorr Street. I just do not think there is enough year around, all day/evening/weekend business around UT for that type of establishment and it is a brutal very competitive, low profit margin business, which for some reason just has never succeed in the Dorr corridor. UT is still a commuter school (even with new 2 yr residency requirement), plenty of local students, part time and working students, and not enough of the residential party students to drive such a business.
05-16-2018 01:44 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-16-2018 08:34 AM)indianasniff Wrote:  it has to serve the students. That should be the target

New name. "Bruce's Barrel". I remember him using one on the sidelines alot

"Bruce's Barrel" 03-rotfl

03-puke

I recall that being a pretty regular combination.
Yeah but, they discourage those things now-a-days. Snowflakes.

I see the point made about students having cars but I think sometimes, tired students want to hang out away from the dorms and be able to walk back.

I have to believe there are ideas. That Japanese place seems really popular. Maybe a place should cater more towards Grad students? Be a good name for a PITTSBURGH/Toledo/Findlay themed Gradkowski sports-bar. (yes, I'm obsessed on the idea).

Or maybe a Muslim hang-out. There's a place across Dorr, maybe a synergy could be created. In ME, we had a favorite place that welcomed Westerners as long as we respected customs. Washed our hands, sat on floor... and you could buy kitchen supplies. One stop shopping. We went there when fatigued. If Barnes and Noble ever went out, I think it'd be a good place for a Western (Cleveland) Market type thing. Both different enough to attract curious students wanting to feel the world and welcoming to those visiting from far away. Toledo could use a good Ethiopean...

Have well wishes for that place. It makes the University more of a place than come, go to class and leave.
05-16-2018 05:29 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
UT needs a bar scene. Jed's and chasers is a start but the old Jax/U/Rockstar have all failed. BG and EMU have cool bar scenes that connect with the student body. We do not. That vacant lot on Byrne and Door is an eye sore. Build up the area... Why did they put a median on Dorr with no other plans to refurbish the area?
05-17-2018 07:10 AM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
One thing i never got, was not catering to the college crowd. The location sits on the doorstep of 20k students, but you are pitching $20 steaks. Every campus needs "that" hangout with the Varsity T feel. I liked the atmosphere and food at the first two incarnations, but i don't thing I saw any students in there. Hate to say it but cheap beer, wings and burgers might be yhe way to go.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
05-17-2018 07:22 AM
Boca Rocket Online
Legend

I Root For:
05-17-2018 07:40 AM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-17-2018 07:22 AM)emanoh Wrote:  One thing i never got, was not catering to the college crowd. The location sits on the doorstep of 20k students, but you are pitching $20 steaks. Every campus needs "that" hangout with the Varsity T feel. I liked the atmosphere and food at the first two incarnations, but i don't thing I saw any students in there. Hate to say it but cheap beer, wings and burgers might be yhe way to go.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Those 20K students are seasonal. I posted on the other thread, I think the catering should be to the "University" crowd, which of course inclused the college student. Most really do not want to deal with drinking/drunk students but an eclectic SYNERGY will attract buyers and restauranters from around the city. Amazon may rule but people still like hands-on, skill stores, which have seminars.... Cooking, Art, Science.. I see these things on Summer campuses busy with people. Just need enough of them in one place, a University setting.
05-17-2018 07:44 AM
Boca Rocket Online
Legend

I Root For:
Goal to create a vibrant University area. Need an identity and overall vision. Student friendly businesses interconnected by sidewalks, bike paths, aesthetic landscaping, etc. A secured area. Ottawa Hills and Old Orchard next door supported businesses like Ace Drugs, Schorling, Franklins, Campus Barbers for years. So a mix of students/locals can be successful. While the downtown is a focus of the City, the University area also needs to be a priority.
05-17-2018 08:28 AM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(05-17-2018 07:10 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  UT needs a bar scene. Jed's and chasers is a start but the old Jax/U/Rockstar have all failed. BG and EMU have cool bar scenes that connect with the student body. We do not. That vacant lot on Byrne and Door is an eye sore. Build up the area... Why did they put a median on Dorr with no other plans to refurbish the area?

I thought Jeds and Chasers were pretty much dead or dying? UT student population of 19,000, with large number of College Credit Plus HS students, adult and veteran students, and part time students-all of which are the growth areas for UT enrollment, simply is not large enough to sustain many bars and food places near campus 365 days a year. Unlike many campuses with bar scenes (Kent State for example), UT simply does not have enough direct from HS, typical college age students interested in those venues.
05-17-2018 10:47 AM
falconplucker Offline
1st String

I certainly give Gradkowski credit. He want to try something close to campus, but it didn't work out. Restaurants come and go all of the time. I'm sure all of the new restaurants going up along secor didn't help. It was a little too expensive for students, and the area is not enough of a draw, when people are thinking about where to eat on the weekends let alone during the week. I'll still visit the one in Perrysburg.
05-17-2018 12:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.