Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big East/Big 12 Alliance
Bookmark and Share
GoldenWarrior11 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
Big East/Big 12 Alliance
https://247sports.com/college/iowa-state...-118219386

Looks like the Big East and Big 12 are discussing an annual scheduling alliance that would help both leagues as other conferences move towards a 20-game schedule. If the Big East is unable to find a suitable member for #11, then this is clearly the best alternative. This protects both leagues from being forced to expand (for the sake of expansion) while also keeping pace with the other larger power conferences in college basketball.

The Big East had discussions with the PAC a few years ago about such an arrangement, but from what I heard was that talks fell apart after Arizona and UCLA refused to be a part of the arrangement. With the equal number in membership, this would be an easy scheduling alliance to schedule for both parties.

With the Big East having such discussions with the B1G, PAC and now Big 12, and no other non-P5 conference having any such arrangement, it is clear the Big East is viewed as a peer in men's basketball - which is great for the league.
05-14-2018 10:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: Big East/Big 12 Alliance
I do think it's interesting from reading the article this would be a challenge with 1 game and not 2 games like folks were hoping.
05-14-2018 11:17 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
Getting formal agreements with both the B1G and Big 12 would be really, really nice for the Big East and help further solidify their spot in the conference hierarchy. There's also no reason the Big 12 agreement couldn't be expanded to 2 games if the schools find they'd like to have additional major opponents locked in.
05-15-2018 08:34 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(05-15-2018 08:34 AM)Bogg Wrote:  Getting formal agreements with both the B1G and Big 12 would be really, really nice for the Big East and help further solidify their spot in the conference hierarchy. There's also no reason the Big 12 agreement couldn't be expanded to 2 games if the schools find they'd like to have additional major opponents locked in.

The problem is that the Big 12 has to want it. With them having the SEC challenge already, that's probably not in the cards.
05-15-2018 08:42 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Online
Heisman

There is the potential for many intriguing matchups annually. Just an example:

Kansas-Xavier
Texas Tech-Creighton
West Virginia-Marquette
Kansas State-Seton Hall
TCU-Butler
Oklahoma State-Providence
Texas-Villanova
Oklahoma-Georgetown
Baylor-DePaul
Iowa State-St. Johns
05-15-2018 08:49 AM
Bogg Offline
All American

(05-15-2018 08:42 AM)stever20 Wrote:  
(05-15-2018 08:34 AM)Bogg Wrote:  Getting formal agreements with both the B1G and Big 12 would be really, really nice for the Big East and help further solidify their spot in the conference hierarchy. There's also no reason the Big 12 agreement couldn't be expanded to 2 games if the schools find they'd like to have additional major opponents locked in.

The problem is that the Big 12 has to want it. With them having the SEC challenge already, that's probably not in the cards.

The Big East is in the same boat with the Gavitt Games. If the other conferences going to 20 games while still having these OOC challenges is problematic for the BE it'll also be problematic for the Big 12. My guess is that one game won't be make or break and an AD at a BE school can find one additional decent opponent if they feel they need to.
05-15-2018 08:52 AM
Advertisement

GoldenWarrior11 Online
Heisman

(05-15-2018 08:52 AM)Bogg Wrote:  

The Big East is in the same boat with the Gavitt Games. If the other conferences going to 20 games while still having these OOC challenges is problematic for the BE it'll also be problematic for the Big 12. My guess is that one game won't be make or break and an AD at a BE school can find one additional decent opponent if they feel they need to.

It sounds like both the Big 12 and Big East will use their alliance (1 game) in addition to the SEC/B1G scheduling agreements they respectively have (1 game) to essentially get 20 annual high-major games. Along with multi-team events, teams could easily get around 25 solid games scheduled per year.
05-15-2018 09:03 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(05-15-2018 09:03 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  

It sounds like both the Big 12 and Big East will use their alliance (1 game) in addition to the SEC/B1G scheduling agreements they respectively have (1 game) to essentially get 20 annual high-major games. Along with multi-team events, teams could easily get around 25 solid games scheduled per year.

The thing with that though is that for the 2 Big East teams who aren't in the Gavitt game compared to the Big Ten team who is in the Gavitt game- it would be a difference of before the exempt tourney 19 vs 22 games(when you take into account the ACC/Big Ten challenge as well). The exempt tourney is a wash.

Even for the teams in the Gavitt games- it's still 20 there- compared to the 20 conference games and then the 1-2 conference challenge games for teams from the Big Ten.
05-15-2018 09:16 AM
Bogg Offline
All American

(05-15-2018 09:16 AM)stever20 Wrote:  

The thing with that though is that for the 2 Big East teams who aren't in the Gavitt game compared to the Big Ten team who is in the Gavitt game- it would be a difference of before the exempt tourney 19 vs 22 games(when you take into account the ACC/Big Ten challenge as well). The exempt tourney is a wash.

Even for the teams in the Gavitt games- it's still 20 there- compared to the 20 conference games and then the 1-2 conference challenge games for teams from the Big Ten.

There are a bunch of B1G teams and SEC teams that are left out of respective challenges for their conferences as well. This isn't new. Some years the ADs will have to do more OOC work than in others, but (potentially) adding a slate of Big 12 games annually on a contract is nothing but a good thing. I'm sure the BE is hoping they can eventually poach UConn from the AAC, go to 20 conference games, and keep their OOC contracts as well, but that'll take some additional time.
05-15-2018 10:11 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(05-15-2018 10:11 AM)Bogg Wrote:  
(05-15-2018 09:16 AM)stever20 Wrote:  
(05-15-2018 08:42 AM)stever20 Wrote:  The problem is that the Big 12 has to want it. With them having the SEC challenge already, that's probably not in the cards.

There are a bunch of B1G teams and SEC teams that are left out of respective challenges for their conferences as well. This isn't new. Some years the ADs will have to do more OOC work than in others, but (potentially) adding a slate of Big 12 games annually on a contract is nothing but a good thing. I'm sure the BE is hoping they can eventually poach UConn from the AAC, go to 20 conference games, and keep their OOC contracts as well, but that'll take some additional time.
For the SEC, sure. For Big Ten, everyone guaranteed an ACC challenge game.

Don't get me wrong, it is nothing but a good thing- but kind of like I said with the Gavitt games- it's a double and not quite the grand slam homer that folks were saying.
05-15-2018 10:30 AM
Bogg Offline
All American

The Big East - Big 12 challenge is supposedly officially official, per Rothstein. Starting in the 19-20 season. Nice get for the conference. A couple years down the line with one more addition you could be looking at every team in conference starting from square one with 22 games of nothing but Big East, Big 12, and B1G teams before even filling out a non-conference schedule.
10-15-2018 07:44 PM
Advertisement

Bogg Offline
All American

So, pulling this thread back up, but the Big East expanding to 11 there's going to be one team left out of the BE/B12 arrangement every year. One would assume that the Gavitt Games and the Big 12 challenge would be offset so that every team is involved in at least one of the scheduling arrangements every year, no?
06-28-2019 12:48 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Online
Heisman

(06-28-2019 12:48 PM)Bogg Wrote:  So, pulling this thread back up, but the Big East expanding to 11 there's going to be one team left out of the BE/B12 arrangement every year. One would assume that the Gavitt Games and the Big 12 challenge would be offset so that every team is involved in at least one of the scheduling arrangements every year, no?

That would be an easy fix, definitely. This way, only two teams would not have both a B1G and a Big 12 game in a given year (nine members annually will have both).
06-28-2019 01:41 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

(06-28-2019 01:41 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  
(06-28-2019 12:48 PM)Bogg Wrote:  So, pulling this thread back up, but the Big East expanding to 11 there's going to be one team left out of the BE/B12 arrangement every year. One would assume that the Gavitt Games and the Big 12 challenge would be offset so that every team is involved in at least one of the scheduling arrangements every year, no?

That would be an easy fix, definitely. This way, only two teams would not have both a B1G and a Big 12 game in a given year (nine members annually will have both).

Am I wrong in my understanding that the Gavitt Games is for 8 matchups?
06-28-2019 02:15 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Online
Heisman

(06-28-2019 02:15 PM)Bogg Wrote:  

No, that is accurate. However, if the Big East and B1G extend the Gavitt Games, there is no reason to believe why they could not add-on to the number of games.
06-28-2019 02:45 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(06-28-2019 02:45 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  
(06-28-2019 02:15 PM)Bogg Wrote:  

No, that is accurate. However, if the Big East and B1G extend the Gavitt Games, there is no reason to believe why they could not add-on to the number of games.

Given how reluctant teams like Michigan St have been- reason to think that it would get more games...…
06-28-2019 05:01 PM
Advertisement

Bogg Offline
All American

Stever just in shambles this week
06-28-2019 07:26 PM
scoscox Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Xavier
Michigan State is only reluctant because they play in the Champions Classic at the same time. Even if they were genuinely reluctant, adding UConn should assuage fears. Heck the Big Ten probably wants an extension with UConn in the fold.
06-28-2019 09:03 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

Michigan State is traveling to Seton Hall this year, by the way.
06-28-2019 09:13 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
Can't wait for a legit Challenge or 2.

And neither Challenge is a broke ass janky one like some other conference I know of...
06-29-2019 06:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.