Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FAU #17 in the USA Today poll
Bookmark and Share
goliath74 Offline

I Root For: FAU, FSU
FAU #17 in the USA Today poll
It's waaaaay too early and means absolutely nothing. But, still, nice to be considered one of top 20 programs...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc...568834002/
05-03-2018 09:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SVHerd Online
All American

I Root For:
RE: FAU #17 in the USA Today poll
October in Huntington is gonna be a great game. Good for the league to get that recognition.
05-03-2018 10:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SouthernMiss3613 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
I hope y'all go undefeated, but we will see with a new QB starting for you.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2018 11:27 AM by SouthernMiss3613.)
05-03-2018 11:26 AM
odu09 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Way too early press is still good press. Hope it continues for FAU
05-03-2018 11:31 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

Kiffin can coach circles around ANY OTHER COACH in this conference. He ran through this conference with a team that was just plain awful in previous seasons. The players didn't suddenly become more talented......they just became well-coached. FAU wasn't the most talented team in the conference and they won't be this year either. But good coaching and knowing how to use players based on their respective skill sets is often paramount to pure talent, especially in a conference like this. The talent gap among teams in this conference is not large......it isn't like say......Alabama and Vanderbilt or Clemson and Wake Forest. The gap in pure talent between say......UTEP and FAU is not nearly as wide as that of Alabama and Vanderbilt. The main difference is coaching. UTEP hasn't had a competent football coach in years and it shows. Before Kiffin, FAU was similar.

A repeat conference championship is all but inevitable for FAU. He makes other coaches look completely clueless.
05-03-2018 12:16 PM
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

Lol..we’ll see at the end of the year. I guess he miraculously became a great coach after piss poor stints at USC and Tennessee...
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2018 01:21 PM by nastybunch.)
05-03-2018 01:21 PM
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(05-03-2018 01:21 PM)nastybunch Wrote:  Lol..we’ll see at the end of the year. I guess he miraculously became a great coach after piss poor stints at USC and Tennessee...

Piss poor? He never had a losing record and he finished in the top 10 once and the top 20 another time.

He handled the position poorly as a professional, but he's never been a bad coach.
05-03-2018 02:19 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

Honestly the guy probably laughs during film study of opposing defenses in this conference.
05-03-2018 02:21 PM
odufansam Offline
1st String

(05-03-2018 02:21 PM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  Honestly the guy probably laughs during film study of opposing defenses in this conference.

Ha. Too true. Well deserved though in my opinion. I never thought that FAU didn't have talent on the field. With how they played after the Buffalo game last season, its hard to argue that they don't belong in the conversation. The ranking is probably too high, but that Akron game was embarrassing and left a lasting impression with all the pollsters.
05-03-2018 02:32 PM
Green Menace Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(05-03-2018 12:16 PM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  Kiffin can coach circles around ANY OTHER COACH in this conference. He ran through this conference with a team that was just plain awful in previous seasons. The players didn't suddenly become more talented......they just became well-coached. FAU wasn't the most talented team in the conference and they won't be this year either. But good coaching and knowing how to use players based on their respective skill sets is often paramount to pure talent, especially in a conference like this. The talent gap among teams in this conference is not large......it isn't like say......Alabama and Vanderbilt or Clemson and Wake Forest. The gap in pure talent between say......UTEP and FAU is not nearly as wide as that of Alabama and Vanderbilt. The main difference is coaching. UTEP hasn't had a competent football coach in years and it shows. Before Kiffin, FAU was similar.

A repeat conference championship is all but inevitable for FAU. He makes other coaches look completely clueless.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
04-rock
05-03-2018 04:32 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
(05-03-2018 12:16 PM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  Kiffin can coach circles around ANY OTHER COACH in this conference. He ran through this conference with a team that was just plain awful in previous seasons. The players didn't suddenly become more talented......they just became well-coached. FAU wasn't the most talented team in the conference and they won't be this year either. But good coaching and knowing how to use players based on their respective skill sets is often paramount to pure talent, especially in a conference like this. The talent gap among teams in this conference is not large......it isn't like say......Alabama and Vanderbilt or Clemson and Wake Forest. The gap in pure talent between say......UTEP and FAU is not nearly as wide as that of Alabama and Vanderbilt. The main difference is coaching. UTEP hasn't had a competent football coach in years and it shows. Before Kiffin, FAU was similar.

While I agree with most of what you said......

FAU is replacing the OC and DC and having a good staff is about as key as the coach. So I don't expect to see a repeat of last season. FAU might still win the conference I know they would be my #1. But I don't see it being as easy.

We will get to see if it was all head coach or a combination of overall staff. I think they will miss Kendal Briles and the Baylor offense
05-03-2018 05:04 PM
Advertisement

Magic95Fan Offline
1st String

I Root For: North Texas
Florida Atlantic is definitely the favorite until proven otherwise, but I agree with some that they will probably take a step back thanks to the two new coordinators and a new QB. I'm just not sure that anyone else is taking a big enough step forward to overcome them.
05-03-2018 07:35 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

Great press for FAU and good to see a C-USA program get some positive national attention. The MWC has two teams (Boise State & San Diego State) on this ranking, and C-USA has FAU. The AAC, MAC, and Sun Belt didn't get a team listed. I think rankings like this are more evidence that the perception of C-USA can improve. We just need to get more teams onto lists like this, and I look forward to that day.
05-03-2018 07:36 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-03-2018 07:35 PM)Magic95Fan Wrote:  Florida Atlantic is definitely the favorite until proven otherwise, but I agree with some that they will probably take a step back thanks to the two new coordinators and a new QB. I'm just not sure that anyone else is taking a big enough step forward to overcome them.

^ This. Last season they beat us like a rented mule. Twice.
05-03-2018 07:45 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

Great press for the Owls and the conference, I hope they live up to it and then some.

I think the Lane Train rolls harder than it did last year and I like thier chances for the access bowl. They replace a QB and some key staff but return nearly everything else. There was a lot of improvement from thier OOC games last year to the end of the season and nearly everyone who played in that system is back. They had a powerful ground attack so they just need a QB good enough to complete some passes and keep Ds honest. Lane will make sure the schemes are still in place.

Good luck Owls.
05-03-2018 07:58 PM
ghostofclt Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
clt says the Orlando sentinel will have fau at 112
05-03-2018 09:09 PM
Advertisement

Fish Offline
1st String

I Root For: FIU

Yes, Kiffin is a great coach, but I wouldn’t write off their talent. One could certainly make an argument they are the most talented team in the conference this year. They have consistently recruited near the top of the conference the last four years.
05-03-2018 09:36 PM
SVHerd Online
All American

I Root For:
They will be good again for sure and the favorite; but we had 6-7 turnovers in our game against them last season in Boca and almost came back. I would bet my 401K that that won’t happen again. Playing in Huntington and having 18 starters back will help. Should be a fun season again in CUSA. We gotta win our OOC games.
05-04-2018 07:01 AM
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

Like I said, we’ll see at the end of the year. It won’t be us because of a inexperienced offensive line, but it won’t be FAU either...Guess who it will be..
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2018 07:30 AM by nastybunch.)
05-04-2018 07:29 AM
HoustonRoadRunner Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UTSA
Im pumped for the C-USA football season this year, both races should be good again
05-04-2018 07:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.