Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Marvel Cinematic Universe Ranking
AppfanInCAAland Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
MyBB Marvel Cinematic Universe Ranking
I wanted to use this post to start a separate thread, if you don't mind.

(04-27-2018 11:57 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  http://www.darkhorizons.com/ranking-the-...rse-films/

So with Infinity War out, how would you rank all 19 films considered part of the MCU?

EPIC:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
--The tone, the story, the scenario.... I'd argue one of the best action movies ever made.

The Avengers
--Hit the comedic, action, and story needs with bulls-eye aiming. Its tough to do a major ensemble cast and give everyone their shine, they made this one work.

Iron Man
--Hit all the right notes with comedy, story, action, and drama. My only real beef with the movie was not really following up the middle eastern villain and his story and instead pushing him over in favor of going for corporate takeover villain.

Captain America: Civil War
--A very well thought out setup about divisions in The Avengers along political lines. And, in some regards who do you trust and you always trust someone to be a certain way.

Thor: Ragnarok
--It hit the comedy, action, story, and intrigue points in a great fashion. My only real beef with it was The Collector, in this variant, wasn't as interesting as he could have been ( and I had seen a Hulk animated series touch on the set up of Planet Hulk sort of like what this was doing). Also, Thor's sister could have been set up a little better but I thought they did a good job of setting up her motivations.

The Avengers: Infinity War
--In order to keep it spoiler free I will say that the darker tone, the casting team ups, the action, the back story to some of the motives floating around and the resolution of some aspects of it along with new questions posed leave it a open ended book with more to come.

Good...

Spiderman: Homecoming
--I really think that this movie is good because of Spiderman and Vulture. If Spidey had done another origin story, if they had brought up an already used villain, and had they had him be emo again it wouldn't have worked.

Iron Man 2
--I liked it. I liked the main villain's tie to Iron Man. The one thing that did irk me about this one was how idiotic and comic relief Justin Hammer was. I just could not buy any scenario where his company could have ever been a rival to Stark's for armed forces contracts.

Ant-Man
--What I liked about it was its ability to be its own thing and go the comedy/heist movie route that none of the other films had taken.

Thor: Darkworld
--MUCH better story than the fist one. The Earth and Asgard elements felt of equal quality.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2
--IMO, a much better version than the first movie.

Black Panther
--Straight up, I dinged this one because of the bad usage of CGI for the environments in the movie. Some areas felt way under developed for CGI usage. It felt done cheaper than other films in the MCU in that regard. What I did like is how they got into the politics of Wakanda, how the villain was set up, and how the new Black Panther starts find out about all the skeletons in the closet his dad had and how his death brought a lot of people out of the woodwork to stir things up that they couldn't do under his reign somehow.

Doctor Strange
--I appreciated that this was as out of this world as say Thor with his Asgard vs. Earth deal with is real world vs alternate dimension world aspects. It felt unlike any of the MCU movies beforehand. Not knowing his complete deal about The Ancient One and ____ the main villain I can't comment on certain aspects but I though they handled his origin and set up very well. The one thing I didn't get is why he didn't become the Sorcerer Supreme at the end of the movie and as of yet, hasn't been designated as such as far as I can tell.

OK

Guardians of the Galaxy.
--I just couldn't get attached to the characters the fist time around and for some reason it never grabbed me.

Avengers: Age of Ultron
--I liked it well enough, but the editing in the trailers and commercials before the movie painted Ultron as much more evil and scheming than he actually came off in the movie. Had his evil felt the same, I would probably move this up a tier.

Captain America: The First Avenger
--They had to set him up somehow. I liked a lot of how they wanted to do it, but I think it might have been best served as a strict period piece.

SUCKED

Iron Man 3.
--I have said this before but, had they had followed the Extremis storyline I had seen play out in an animated series before the movie came out I would have been more into this movie. Also, the BS with the Mandarin kind of ticked me off-- not that I even know what he is all about, but to be that much of a bad ass and then get told he's a freakin actor stand in... IMO, that was akin to the South Park "Who is Cartman's Dad" schtick ....

Thor
--For a start movie, it covered some needed bases but as cool as Asgard was, the New Mexico stuff was not.

Hulk
--WAY better than the movie prior, but something about this movie I just didn't like.
04-30-2018 10:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
RE: Marvel Cinematic Universe Ranking
EPIC -

Iron Man
Winter Soldier
Avengers
Civil War
Infinity War

GREAT -

GOG 2
Spidey Homecoming
Black Panther
Ultron
Ragnarok

GOOD -

GOG
Ant Man
Dr. Strange
Iron Man II
Thor
Capt. America

OK -

Dark World
Iron Man III
Hulk
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2018 10:27 AM by BadgerMJ.)
04-30-2018 10:26 AM
AppfanInCAAland Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
**GREAT**

1 - Avengers Infinity War - impressive, I was expecting a disorganized mess, but they pulled it off masterfully.

2 - *Spiderman Homecoming - high school Spiderman has been my favorite version since I was kid

3 - ***Captain America: Civil War - Cap becomes my favorite MCU character with this one.

4 - Captain America: The Winter Soldier - intense and suspenseful

5 - ***The Avengers - Seems quaint now by Infinity Wars standards

**VERY GOOD**

6 - *Iron Man - Marvel established the formula for printing money

7 - ***Guardians of the Galaxy - I like this one more with every repeat viewing - a hard standard to meet

8 - Ant-man - best of the Iron Man remakes because of the heist story and Paul Rudd. Iron Man but small.

9 - ***Thor Ragnarok - what a great reinvention of the Thor series, Korg is one of my favorite secondary characters

**GOOD**

10 - *Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 - a lot of fun, Kurt Russell is great in everything

11 - *Captain America: The First Avenger - Great first two thirds, weak 3rd act

12 - **Avengers: Age of Ultron - underrated in my mind

13 - *Black Panther - Iron Man in Africa, suffered overhype in my mind, I liked Killmonger and most of the characters, but could write a book on how stupid Wakanda is - hermit kingdoms that have been isolated since the the days of Sehkmet worship could never be that advanced, how did they get rich if they didn't sell their vibranium to anyone?

**OK**

14 - *Iron Man 3 - just ok but the aerial rescue is my favorite non-fight action scene in the MCU

15 - Thor - not bad, but kind of boring

16 - **Doctor Strange - Iron Man with magic, great visuals amazed the first time, and a great ending. Not sure what it was but I just didn't like it

17 - Iron Man 2 - Would be lower if not for Justin Hammer

18 - *Thor: The Dark World - forgettable

19 - The Incredible Hulk - not that bad, but it's the only one I have never had an interest in seeing again.

**BAD**
none

*** essential pre Infinity War viewing
** recommended pre Infinity War viewing
* secondary Infinity War viewing (for minor references, jokes, locations, characters, etc)
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2018 11:10 AM by AppfanInCAAland.)
04-30-2018 10:56 AM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
Great:
Iron Man - Whoever had the foresight to cast Downey a decade ago was genius, especially given all the issues he's had in the past.
The Avengers - I think a decade from now you could write a book on how The Avengers impacted the entertainment industry, it really is a great spectacle.
Guardians of the Galaxy - I went in not knowing what to expect and came out really happy, it's just a movie that was very fun.
Black Panther - I have some quibbles in the setup, but the execution was phenomenal and the villain top-notch.
Avengers: Infinity War - Was in the good category until the last ten minutes, which I think were the best ten minutes Marvel has put to film.

Good:
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - I've always been a sucker for political spy thrillers, and this is the closest Marvel has gotten to one of those.
Captain America: Civil War - You could've called it Avengers 2.5, but even if it wasn't 100% focused it was still fun.
Doctor Strange - Cumberbach is a solid leading man and I like the mystical angle they took.
Ant-Man - I was really bummed when Edgar Wright dropped out, but this was a pleasant surprise.
Captain America: The First Avenger - I've appreciated this one more over time for being a little different in its approach as a period war movie.
Spiderman: Homecoming - It was good, but the Tobey Maguire Spiderman 2 was way better (my favorite superhero movie imo).

Alright:
Thor: Ragnarok - I Chris Hemsworth as Thor, but I've never been a big fan of his movies.
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - Expectations were probably too high for this one, they tried a lot of the same notes and the only thing that kinda came off fresh was Kurt Russell.
Avengers: Age of Ultron - This was where the whole 'dude wants to conquer the world and the final climax is a battle in the sky' schtick started getting old.
Thor: The Dark World - Pretty forgettable, but I remember liking it slightly more than the first one.
Thor - I can give some of it a pass since they set up Loki, but I just remember it being really slow.

Meh:
Iron Man 3 - Second movie set my expectations lower for the third one, but it was still pretty weak by MCU standards.
The Incredible Hulk - I remember thinking the Norton movie seemed awful in comparison to Iron Man and I haven't seen it since, maybe I should give it another chance a decade later.
Iron Man 2 - I went into this very hyped and left really, really disappointed.
04-30-2018 07:57 PM
Advertisement

PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
DAMN..... AM I the only one who was keen on IM2?

I thought the play of Tony Stark's contamination disease, along with some personal issues he had going on, and then you toss in his dad didn't do everything himself, he had an exiled partner that co-developed Iron Man's biggest deal in the Arc Reactor. Anton gets pissed off that Iron Man is pimping the tech and his father/family get no credit. I thought all the story elements were there for a great movie and the only thing really hurting it was Justin Hammer being TOO MUCH the comic relief. And if was the way he was portrayed in the movie then why would the US Government give him any kind of contracts to make any kind of gear because nearly everything he put out was garbage.

Still can't believe Dark World is getting put lower than Thor.
The Asgardian stuff was SOOOOOOOO much better in DW. Even the Earth stuff was a step above the first one IMO. Loki and the Frost Giants from the first one were good villains but I thought the Dark Elves and their motivation for that Aether (sp?) were a much better plot point for a movie. The cheapness tied to the Earth elements in the first Thor movie really did kind of knock it down a notch for me too. It felt like I was watching the duplicate of Rock Ridge just like in Blazing Saddles.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2018 10:13 PM by PirateTreasureNC.)
04-30-2018 10:07 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
I think the first Iron Man and all three Captain America's are my favorites, but Iron Man 3 is the only one I felt was a total waste of time.
05-02-2018 09:16 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Isn't X-Men part of the MCU?
05-02-2018 10:37 AM
Advertisement

PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(05-02-2018 10:37 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Isn't X-Men part of the MCU?

Technically no. The FOX & Sony properties have their own deal. Now, after the Disney/FOX thing goes through who knows....

They basically created a branding umbrella for "Avengers" tales. And to get to The Avengers they had to build up through some of the individual character movies.
05-02-2018 12:16 PM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND

After the Disney-Fox merger completes, I believe Phase 4 of the MCU will incorporate both the X-Men and Fantastic Four.
05-02-2018 01:31 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(05-02-2018 12:16 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  

Technically no. The FOX & Sony properties have their own deal. Now, after the Disney/FOX thing goes through who knows....

They basically created a branding umbrella for "Avengers" tales. And to get to The Avengers they had to build up through some of the individual character movies.

I see. Thought they would be since they are Marvel comics and studio.
05-02-2018 08:12 PM
Advertisement

vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(04-30-2018 10:56 AM)AppfanInCAAland Wrote:  **GREAT**

1 - Avengers Infinity War - impressive, I was expecting a disorganized mess, but they pulled it off masterfully.

2 - *Spiderman Homecoming - high school Spiderman has been my favorite version since I was kid

3 - ***Captain America: Civil War - Cap becomes my favorite MCU character with this one.

4 - Captain America: The Winter Soldier - intense and suspenseful

5 - ***The Avengers - Seems quaint now by Infinity Wars standards

**VERY GOOD**

6 - *Iron Man - Marvel established the formula for printing money

7 - ***Guardians of the Galaxy - I like this one more with every repeat viewing - a hard standard to meet

8 - Ant-man - best of the Iron Man remakes because of the heist story and Paul Rudd. Iron Man but small.

9 - ***Thor Ragnarok - what a great reinvention of the Thor series, Korg is one of my favorite secondary characters

**GOOD**

10 - *Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 - a lot of fun, Kurt Russell is great in everything

11 - *Captain America: The First Avenger - Great first two thirds, weak 3rd act

12 - **Avengers: Age of Ultron - underrated in my mind

13 - *Black Panther - Iron Man in Africa, suffered overhype in my mind, I liked Killmonger and most of the characters, but could write a book on how stupid Wakanda is - hermit kingdoms that have been isolated since the the days of Sehkmet worship could never be that advanced, how did they get rich if they didn't sell their vibranium to anyone?

**OK**

14 - *Iron Man 3 - just ok but the aerial rescue is my favorite non-fight action scene in the MCU

15 - Thor - not bad, but kind of boring

16 - **Doctor Strange - Iron Man with magic, great visuals amazed the first time, and a great ending. Not sure what it was but I just didn't like it

17 - Iron Man 2 - Would be lower if not for Justin Hammer

18 - *Thor: The Dark World - forgettable

19 - The Incredible Hulk - not that bad, but it's the only one I have never had an interest in seeing again.

**BAD**
none

*** essential pre Infinity War viewing
** recommended pre Infinity War viewing
* secondary Infinity War viewing (for minor references, jokes, locations, characters, etc)

I love that you added which movies were essential viewing for Infinity War. I came away with 8 movies someone would need to see to get get the full impact of the latest Avengers installment.
05-03-2018 04:10 AM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
BEST MCU (IMO)
-------------------
The Hulk - (Eric Bana version) - I liked the whole "Hulk is immortal, so the Army must try to kill him" conflict
Iron Man - best coming-of-age hero movie (rich boy jerk becomes super hero)
Winter Soldier - best action/drama/mystery (didn't see the Zolaf twist coming)
Avengers - best team-up movie yet (great character interaction)
Civil War - one problem: why did they blame the heroes for collateral damage when, honestly, either the Chitauri or Ultron would've wiped out ALL human life?!? STUPID that no one in the movie brought this up.
Spiderman Homecoming - a villain with some depth! definitive mafia feel.
Ant Man - cool special effects and very funny

NOTE: I haven't seen Dr. Strange, Ragnarok, Black Panther or Infinity War
05-03-2018 06:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
HULK has a large following. No wonder they showed him running with the rest of the Avengers in (full green) promo’s for Infinity War.
Stinks that the green skin barely mad an appearance.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2018 07:53 PM by Dasville.)
05-03-2018 07:52 PM
Advertisement

PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(05-03-2018 06:40 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  BEST MCU (IMO)
-------------------
The Hulk - (Eric Bana version) - I liked the whole "Hulk is immortal, so the Army must try to kill him" conflict
Iron Man - best coming-of-age hero movie (rich boy jerk becomes super hero)
Winter Soldier - best action/drama/mystery (didn't see the Zolaf twist coming)
Avengers - best team-up movie yet (great character interaction)
Civil War - one problem: why did they blame the heroes for collateral damage when, honestly, either the Chitauri or Ultron would've wiped out ALL human life?!? STUPID that no one in the movie brought this up.
Spiderman Homecoming - a villain with some depth! definitive mafia feel.
Ant Man - cool special effects and very funny

NOTE: I haven't seen Dr. Strange, Ragnarok, Black Panther or Infinity War

Whu.... I haven't ran into anyone who liked that version of The Hulk. I'd just rather go to the OG tv show LOL.
05-03-2018 10:17 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
Feel like I'm the only person who didn't like Spider Man: Homecoming. Maybe I need to see it again, but I walked out of the theater with a very negative impression
05-04-2018 09:44 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(05-04-2018 09:44 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  Feel like I'm the only person who didn't like Spider Man: Homecoming. Maybe I need to see it again, but I walked out of the theater with a very negative impression

What knocked it down for you?

If I got more critical on it I could definitely go that route but I think the fact they went high school, strayed from emo-Spidey, and nailed the humor along with having a great villain and said villain having great motivations made it a solid one for me.
05-04-2018 02:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.