Are we going to talk...
Bookmark and Share
Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
Are we going to talk...
about Rashawn Fredericks?

Picked UC over Arkansas and Baylor.

6'6" wing with an outside shot. 1st team Juco AA. Looks like a ready made starter to me. Adequate replacement for Evans, if he doesn't come back.

Everyone's been drooling all over these grad transfers that you only get for one year. You at least get Juco's for two years.

Not too shabby.

04-23-2018 10:33 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

CincyBro Offline
All American

I Root For: " NO GOR "
RE: Are we going to talk...
(04-23-2018 10:33 AM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  about Rashawn Fredericks?

Picked UC over Arkansas and Baylor.

6'6" wing with an outside shot. 1st team Juco AA. Looks like a ready made starter to me. Adequate replacement for Evans, if he doesn't come back.

Everyone's been drooling all over these grad transfers that you only get for one year. You at least get Juco's for two years.

Not too shabby.

There's a recruiting thread for this....04-cheers

04-23-2018 10:50 AM
Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

Well, I was coming at it from a "next year's team/better than a grad transfer" viewpoint more so than recruiting.

Never mind, I guess.

04-23-2018 10:59 AM
dj3600 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Uc
He seems like a pretty good pick up,and I really like his rebound numbers. Hopefully he can get his 3 pt shooting numbers up a bit, but yeah I think he will be a good replacement for Jacob. With the returning players there should be some good competition for minutes at guard and small forward.

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2018 11:50 AM by dj3600.)
04-23-2018 11:48 AM
marcuscan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats + UF
No one knows much of anything about the kid. Numbers don't mean much without context. The most I've seen about him is that some publication considered him the 38th best JUCO player. Besides that.....who knows?!?

It's kinda hard to get hyped about a kid when he's pretty much an enigma.

He seems like a prototypical Mick player so....take that for whatever that's worth.

mc

04-23-2018 12:00 PM
OKIcat Online
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
(04-23-2018 11:48 AM)dj3600 Wrote:  He seems like a pretty good pick up,and I really like his rebound numbers. Hopefully he can get his 3 pt shooting numbers up a bit, but yeah I think he will be a good replacement for Jacob. With the returning players there should be some good competition for minutes at guard and small forward.

Should we reasonably expect that or just wish and hope? His shooting percentage was against juco competition. I can't imagine he'll come in and shoot better against high major competition. I hope he does as UC needs outside scoring from his position next season.

04-23-2018 12:10 PM
Advertisement

Billy Bob Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

(04-23-2018 12:10 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  
(04-23-2018 11:48 AM)dj3600 Wrote:  He seems like a pretty good pick up,and I really like his rebound numbers. Hopefully he can get his 3 pt shooting numbers up a bit, but yeah I think he will be a good replacement for Jacob. With the returning players there should be some good competition for minutes at guard and small forward.

Should we reasonably expect that or just wish and hope? His shooting percentage was against juco competition. I can't imagine he'll come in and shoot better against high major competition. I hope he does as UC needs outside scoring from his position next season.

He actually shot much higher his freshman year (around 41% from 3). So there is a reason to believe he will do better next season.

04-23-2018 12:14 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(04-23-2018 10:59 AM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  Well, I was coming at it from a "next year's team/better than a grad transfer" viewpoint more so than recruiting.

Never mind, I guess.

I assume you are saying that JUCO is > than a Grad transfer because you get two years instead of one, correct?

That may be try some of the time, but sometimes a JUCO is a bust. Even if they are a good find, some others take a year to really add any quality as they acclimate to playing at this level. Finally, sometimes you do get two years out of a grad transfer if they graduate earlier (see Kyle Trout in football).

As it relates to this player, 1st team JUCO--- sounds good on paper and he may very well be a good player for us this upcoming season. I still think we have a piece missing and hopefully that is being addressed on the recruiting trail.

04-23-2018 12:16 PM
JFlight21 Offline
Heisman

If Evans comes back, this team could be better than last year's. More emphasis on spacing and three point shooting with the continued development of Cumberland as a playmaker could make the offense more efficient. Defense and rebounding should be stout without Evans, but elite if he returns. The draft is slated to be very weak next year, I think he could shoot up draft boards if he returns and has a big year.

04-23-2018 12:25 PM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
I've seen a lot to suggest Evans will be a first round draft pick this year. At this point I'd be shocked if he came back.

04-23-2018 12:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
levydl Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-23-2018 12:00 PM)marcuscan Wrote:  No one knows much of anything about the kid. Numbers don't mean much without context. The most I've seen about him is that some publication considered him the 38th best JUCO player. Besides that.....who knows?!?

It's kinda hard to get hyped about a kid when he's pretty much an enigma.

He seems like a prototypical Mick player so....take that for whatever that's worth.

mc

How can he be both an enigma and the prototypical Mick player?

04-23-2018 12:46 PM
Advertisement

Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
No clue what kind of prospect he is as JUCO's are barely even ranked or covered anymore. The only JUCO ratings I could find was the one marcuscan mentioned and he was rated low in that. Who knows what we are getting.

04-23-2018 01:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

(04-23-2018 12:16 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(04-23-2018 10:59 AM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  Well, I was coming at it from a "next year's team/better than a grad transfer" viewpoint more so than recruiting.

Never mind, I guess.

I assume you are saying that JUCO is > than a Grad transfer because you get two years instead of one, correct?

That may be try some of the time, but sometimes a JUCO is a bust. Even if they are a good find, some others take a year to really add any quality as they acclimate to playing at this level. Finally, sometimes you do get two years out of a grad transfer if they graduate earlier (see Kyle Trout in football).

As it relates to this player, 1st team JUCO--- sounds good on paper and he may very well be a good player for us this upcoming season. I still think we have a piece missing and hopefully that is being addressed on the recruiting trail.

Would you rather have this guy for two years or Joe Cremo for one?

04-23-2018 01:13 PM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

(04-23-2018 01:13 PM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  
(04-23-2018 12:16 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

Never mind, I guess.

Would you rather have this guy for two years or Joe Cremo for one?

That's tough...I do like having two years, but Cremo was a 46/46/82 shooter and averaged 17 points, 4 assists, and 4 rebounds for a D1 team while Fredericks was at 17 points and 10 boards a game shooting at 46/33/78 against low NJCAA competition.

Cremo has teams like Arizona, Louisville, Ohio State, Duke, Nova, and West Virginia in on him...Fredericks was between UC and Arkansas. That kind of shows you right there IMO.

04-23-2018 01:36 PM
JFlight21 Offline
Heisman

I'd rather have Fredericks than Cremo. Frederick's gives positional versatility that will allow UC to play with one big and still be fine defensively and on the glass. I say this without having ever seen him play other than some highlights, but his size, build, athleticism and impressive rebounding, steals and blocks stats say he should fit in quite well.

If UC is going to be really good next year, it will be because they find a way to play with one big on the floor. I think Fredericks really helps there. I see him as a bigger Jaquon Parker.

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2018 02:30 PM by JFlight21.)
04-23-2018 02:29 PM
Intimidate Dominate Celebrate Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(04-23-2018 12:25 PM)JFlight21 Wrote:  If Evans comes back, this team could be better than last year's. More emphasis on spacing and three point shooting with the continued development of Cumberland as a playmaker could make the offense more efficient. Defense and rebounding should be stout without Evans, but elite if he returns. The draft is slated to be very weak next year, I think he could shoot up draft boards if he returns and has a big year.

I saw in Chad's (free) article where Frederick's said "If Evans comes back, the two of us could do a lot of good things together."

Maybe reading too much into it but that sounds like there's still a possibility Evans returns (I'd be shocked if he does).

04-23-2018 03:30 PM
Advertisement

bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

I think UC almost has to to play four wing players next year, outside of special defensive situation or teams that are really big. Finding the right combination is going to be the key to another great season. Can you start Jenifer, Broome, Cumberland, Fredericks, and Scott next season. I believe that group is the most experienced and talented five starting the season.

04-23-2018 06:15 PM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat

Cane Broome was a poor 3-point shooter at Sacred Heart, only managing to hit on 31% of his attempts.

This year, against far better competition, he was our second best deep threat at 39% (Gary was the best).

Often times you see these numbers fluctuate based on the looks players are getting. Troy was a 41% guy as a freshman (much like Fredericks) but then dropped off when he took on a larger role within the team.

In other words, it's tough to know until we see him play--but, he does appear to have a good stroke. For that very same reason I believe Trevor Moore will increase his numbers next year.

04-23-2018 08:13 PM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

Anytime anyone goes from focal point of the offense to a guy in the rotation their percentages tend to increase. I'd bet he shoots better than he did last year especially considering he was over 40% from 3 as a freshman.

04-23-2018 08:23 PM
rtaylor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bearcats
(04-23-2018 08:13 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  

Cane Broome was a poor 3-point shooter at Sacred Heart, only managing to hit on 31% of his attempts.

This year, against far better competition, he was our second best deep threat at 39% (Gary was the best).

Often times you see these numbers fluctuate based on the looks players are getting. Troy was a 41% guy as a freshman (much like Fredericks) but then dropped off when he took on a larger role within the team.

In other words, it's tough to know until we see him play--but, he does appear to have a good stroke. For that very same reason I believe Trevor Moore will increase his numbers next year.

What is the comparison for Broome in number of attempts? As far as I remember he was the only offensive threat on that Sacred Heart team and jacked it up all over the court. At least Broome was playing against D1 talent. Not sure how it's going to be easier for a JUCO kid to improve his percentages playing against better talent. Wasn't Rubles touted as a shooter as well out of JUCO? JUCO is no where near what is was 20 years ago as far as talent coming out of there.

04-23-2018 09:14 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.