Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Change to the kick-off rules
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
Change to the kick-off rules
You may have seen recently that the kick-off rules have been changed.

The gist if that if the receiving team calls for a fair catch inside the 25 then it will be ruled as a touchback and the ball will be brought out to the 25.

Here is some commentary from Cecil Hurt on the issue.

What say you?
04-18-2018 04:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
RE: Change to the kick-off rules
(04-18-2018 04:58 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  You may have seen recently that the kick-off rules have been changed.

The gist if that if the receiving team calls for a fair catch inside the 25 then it will be ruled as a touchback and the ball will be brought out to the 25.

What say you?

Don't most returners stand at the 10 and if it's in front of them, they run it, if it's behind them they let it go?

If so this shouldn't change that much except more frequent fair catches.
04-18-2018 06:18 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
The college game is a shell of what it used to be. Football is shooting itself in the foot with rules changes. It's starting to become NASCAR or NBA basketball with situational rules that have altered the sport. The death spiral continues.
04-18-2018 07:17 AM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(04-18-2018 06:18 AM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  
(04-18-2018 04:58 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  You may have seen recently that the kick-off rules have been changed.

What say you?

Don't most returners stand at the 10 and if it's in front of them, they run it, if it's behind them they let it go?

I believe you are thinking of punts. You can't ever let a kickoff go since it's a live ball once it goes 10 yards.

I think this rule will reduce injury, but it will also bring the squib kick into favor in college football.

Still, it's a half-measure. If they really want to fix it, why not eliminate kickoffs altogether... put the kicking team in a 4th and 10 situation where they can either punt (not a live ball) or go for it (instead of onside kick)?
04-18-2018 08:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(04-18-2018 08:06 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(04-18-2018 06:18 AM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  

What say you?

I believe you are thinking of punts. You can't ever let a kickoff go since it's a live ball once it goes 10 yards.

I think this rule will reduce injury, but it will also bring the squib kick into favor in college football.

Still, it's a half-measure. If they really want to fix it, why not eliminate kickoffs altogether... put the kicking team in a 4th and 10 situation where they can either punt (not a live ball) or go for it (instead of onside kick)?

I actually agree with Saban on this one. Just move the kickoff line back to the 40 yard line. With the development of kickers that means that about 90% of kickoffs will result in touchbacks. They should leave all other field position stuff alone. We only have this problem because they moved the kickoff back to the 35 to create more excitement (and that was their reason some 30 years ago). The last thing the game needs is more eggheads deciding how to play a game they've never played.

And I agree with X on this one. The more the NFL screwed up the rules the less I watched. I still despise the designated hitter in MLB. I think that was the beginning of the downfall of a sport where until that time the vast majority of records could avoid an *.
04-18-2018 12:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.