Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN+ launched today
Bookmark and Share
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
ESPN+ launched today
"At launch, ESPN+ is available on iOS, Apple TV, Android, Android TV, Chromecast, Amazon devices and the web, with Roku support coming later."

So as of today there's no Roku or Playstation app

Blackouts. Certain live sporting events and other content available through the ESPN+ service subscription may be subject to blackouts. For example, if you are in the home television territory of a team participating in a game, then the game may be blacked-out for viewing or live viewing as part of your ESPN+ service subscription (or other applicable third-party service). Blackouts will be enforced according to the location from which you are accessing the ESPN+ service or the applicable third-party services, and we may use different technologies and methods to verify your geographic location. If you do not enable location access on your device, you will not be able to access the ESPN+ service.

Subscriptions to third-party products and services that you purchase or access through your ESPN+ service subscription will also be subject to specific blackout policies of the applicable sports leagues (e.g., Major League Baseball or the National Hockey League). Such policies may be made available or communicated to you in connection with your purchases of league-specific content.

------------------------------------------------------------------

So I take it home games will be blacked out for the region they are being played in. I assume a local station can still pick up the game but if you live outside the range ....

its blacked out
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2018 02:41 PM by WKUYG.)
04-13-2018 02:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
RE: ESPN+ launched today
It's going to work the same way ESPN3 games did as far as blackouts go. Most Sun Belt fans had no issues... so this isn't a big deal.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2018 11:11 PM by CardinalBlackTrojan.)
04-13-2018 11:10 PM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
The ESPN streaming service is not new, Disney just wants you to pay for it
Published: Apr 15, 2018 1:21 p.m. ET

Remember when Netflix Inc. split its DVD-by-mail service and then-new streaming plan, enraging subscribers who had been receiving both to pay more for the same level of service? Well, there isn’t much different in what the Walt Disney Co. DIS, -0.28% is doing with its new ESPN+ streaming service, which is likely to grow and change just as Netflix’s NFLX, -1.08% streaming service has since 2011.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-es...2018-04-12
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2018 12:48 PM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
04-18-2018 12:47 PM
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU
So ESPN3 and Watch ESPN won't exist now, but I can still get the same experience with a fee?
04-19-2018 10:57 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
Americans:
"Ima cut my cable and save $100 per month. I'm smart."

2 months later:
"Instead of cable I just have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, ESPN+, MLBTV, and NFL Red Zone. I save like a whole $5/month over cable. I'm smart."
04-19-2018 11:05 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(04-19-2018 10:57 AM)ODU_NYG Wrote:  So ESPN3 and Watch ESPN won't exist now, but I can still get the same experience with a fee?

It says ESPN3 still exists...at least for now.
04-19-2018 11:08 AM
Advertisement

DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
(04-19-2018 11:05 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  Americans:

2 months later:
"Instead of cable I just have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, ESPN+, MLBTV, and NFL Red Zone. I save like a whole $5/month over cable. I'm smart."

Wouldn’t Netflix, Hulu, Prime, and ESPN+ run you $45 a month? How many of those have all 3 going in the same month? Most cord cutters, have one for a bit,then switch to another one.
04-19-2018 11:48 AM
Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB

2 months later:

I agree with you, and realize the point you're trying to make, but would argue that cord cutting still makes sense given that most people are paying for Netflix & Amazon Prime while also having cable.

Charter Cable & Internet here: $115
Charter Internet + Playstation Vue: $85

I do also pay for Amazon Prime, but, again, I'd do that regardless. I also am able to mooch for Netflix and Hulu because I use them so infrequently. I do pay for Nfl2Go instead of RedZone, which is $25 in BTC every year. And I'm able to use another login to watch my out of market games. However, if I were a Braves/Hawks fan I'd have that included with PSVue. Still on the fence about ESPN+ though. My current plan is to hold out on it until they have an event I want to watch.
04-19-2018 12:34 PM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
(04-19-2018 11:48 AM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  

2 months later:

Wouldn’t Netflix, Hulu, Prime, and ESPN+ run you $45 a month? How many of those have all 3 going in the same month? Most cord cutters, have one for a bit,then switch to another one.

Yup. I have Prime (for shipping reason) and alternate between Netflix and Hulu depending on what I feel like watching that month. Both services are REALLY good about cancelling and restarting memberships. However, I just purchased a OTA DVR. With my Antenna+ DVR I probably be able to reduce my Hulu usage.

I pay for Prime on a yearly subscription. I think it's $99 a year. I got the yearly ESPN+ package for $50. And I usually have one or the other for Netflix/Hulu+, so that's another $12 a month.

My monthly interent/tv usage comes to ($55-internet + $8.25-Amazon + $4.16-ESPN + $12-Netflix or Hulu) $79 bucks and change.

Mix in the channels I get from my antenna and the free stuff from Crackle/CBSNews and I am glad I don't pay for cable TV.
04-19-2018 02:17 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

2 months later:

I cut the cord too, but I mean it's pointless if I were to load up on 7 different streaming services in addition to the monthly internet bill.

I have Netflix and Amazon Prime.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2018 03:02 PM by shiftyeagle.)
04-19-2018 02:59 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(04-19-2018 02:59 PM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  

2 months later:

I cut the cord too, but I mean it's pointless if I were to load up on 7 different streaming services in addition to the monthly internet bill.

Since I hate to miss anything--Ive become a networks wet dream. I have like a 450 network cable package (most of which I never watch) and I have Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime and CBS-All Access. Im sure my dumb azz will probably end up adding ESPN-Plus to the payroll. Eventually, when I can see Rockets and Astros games without cable--I'll probably move to some sort of streaming platform---probably Sony Vue. But until then--Im basically paying a ridiculous amount to cable/streaming companies because I dont want to miss anything.

Frankly---what Im afraid is likely to be the end result of the demise of the cable bundle is we will end up paying almost as much for a bunch of smaller indy networks as each content provider breaks away to maximize the value of their media property. We will end up missing a lot of things because content will be so segmented it will be almost impossible to have a membership to every network that has stuff you want to see. Sports--college football especialy--seems very ripe for that type of future. Its already very segmented and is basically set up in a way that would allow that segmentation to happen very easily.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2018 03:55 PM by Attackcoog.)
04-19-2018 03:49 PM
Advertisement

shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

(04-19-2018 03:49 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(04-19-2018 02:59 PM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  

2 months later:

Im afraid is likley to be the end result of the demise of the cable bundle is we will end up paying almost as much--but miss a lot of things because content will end up being segmented onto tons and tons of different "niche networks". It will be almost impossible to have a membership to everything.

I think you're right.
04-19-2018 03:55 PM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
(04-19-2018 02:17 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  

2 months later:

Yup. I have Prime (for shipping reason) and alternate between Netflix and Hulu depending on what I feel like watching that month. Both services are REALLY good about cancelling and restarting memberships. However, I just purchased a OTA DVR. With my Antenna+ DVR I probably be able to reduce my Hulu usage.

I pay for Prime on a yearly subscription. I think it's $99 a year. I got the yearly ESPN+ package for $50. And I usually have one or the other for Netflix/Hulu+, so that's another $12 a month.

My monthly interent/tv usage comes to ($55-internet + $8.25-Amazon + $4.16-ESPN + $12-Netflix or Hulu) $79 bucks and change.

Mix in the channels I get from my antenna and the free stuff from Crackle/CBSNews and I am glad I don't pay for cable TV.

We pay $82.69 for Direct TV -- total, including all taxes and fees. We have the "Choice" package.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2018 04:55 PM by KAjunRaider.)
04-19-2018 04:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(04-19-2018 04:55 PM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  

2 months later:

We pay $82.69 for Direct TV -- total, including all taxes and fees. We have the "Choice" package.

Same with us and then add the Fox Sports during football season and drop it once CUSA basketball season ends.

Those that want to compare their "$200 cable/Direct bill to all the savings they get from a $40 streaming package....

are trying to pull the wool over someones eyes

They might be paying $200 but they are the ones that added all the extra, like movie channels and a higher pay package.

One other thing about streaming packages and Direct. With streaming, you start watching a show in the family room with your wife. Then you want to go to the bedroom to watch while trying to sleep. The ones I tried I always got...."this show is streaming on another device". Other words, you can't watch the same show on two different TVs. Direct, you can watch it on all 4 TVs at once. Or if you are out of town, you can watch it on your Laptop while its being shown at home. Cant do that with streaming. Or better yet....

You have a friend or family member that lives somewhere else. It's easy to give them your DirectV log in info and they can watch any thing that's in your package. My son is doing this right now so he dropped his cable and Hulu. Signs into the Direct app and watches what he wants.

Dont for a minute think the price you pay today is going to be the price you pay in 12 months or 18 months. Once the streaming services have enough bodies signed up...

cost will go up

They are no different than cable, cheap at the start but once they get enough bodies...the price starts to increase a dollar here a dollar there. Today state and local taxes are not in that cost....it will be soon. Just as its in the cable and Direct bill

Apples to Apples a family that enjoys watching TV will get a lot more from A Direct Choice package. A single person, maybe not.
04-19-2018 05:13 PM
ghostofclt Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte

2 months later:

clt says you are quite ambitious considering the limited bandwidth in the mtns of western NC
04-19-2018 05:25 PM
wh49er Offline
All American

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(04-19-2018 05:25 PM)ghostofclt Wrote:  

2 months later:

clt says you are quite ambitious considering the limited bandwidth in the mtns of western NC

Well, they are in 17 media markets and have an international airport now.
04-19-2018 05:33 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

(04-19-2018 05:13 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  

2 months later:

Same with us and then add the Fox Sports during football season and drop it once CUSA basketball season ends.

Those that want to compare their "$200 cable/Direct bill to all the savings they get from a $40 streaming package....

They might be paying $200 but they are the ones that added all the extra, like movie channels and a higher pay package.

One other thing about streaming packages and Direct. With streaming, you start watching a show in the family room with your wife. Then you want to go to the bedroom to watch while trying to sleep. The ones I tried I always got...."this show is streaming on another device". Other words, you can't watch the same show on two different TVs. Direct, you can watch it on all 4 TVs at once. Or if you are out of town, you can watch it on your Laptop while its being shown at home. Cant do that with streaming. Or better yet....

You have a friend or family member that lives somewhere else. It's easy to give them your DirectV log in info and they can watch any thing that's in your package. My son is doing this right now so he dropped his cable and Hulu. Signs into the Direct app and watches what he wants.

Dont for a minute think the price you pay today is going to be the price you pay in 12 months or 18 months. Once the streaming services have enough bodies signed up...

cost will go up

They are no different than cable, cheap at the start but once they get enough bodies...the price starts to increase a dollar here a dollar there. Today state and local taxes are not in that cost....it will be soon. Just as its in the cable and Direct bill

Apples to Apples a family that enjoys watching TV will get a lot more from A Direct Choice package. A single person, maybe not.

One of the biggest changes to come along that really cranks up the price of cable is the requirement that every TV in a home must have a dedicated cable box. You used to be able to connect a cable ready tv to the cable jack and get basic cable (you couldnt get any scrambled premium channels). That was generally fine for most of the homes TV's. But now--you are required to have a cable box for every TV.

If you are single and have one or 2 TV's--that $10 a box is not a big deal. For a family with TV's in bedrooms, game rooms, kitchen, back patios, etc--it becomes a significant factor. If you ave 8 TV's---thats $80 a month just for the boxes. But if you switch to a streaming service, you would pay a one time charge for 8 Rokus of about $300 (less if some of those TV's are smart TV's). From hen on you would save $80 month. In just 4 months your way ahead of the game. Heck, at my house it would cost me nothing because every TV either is a smart TV or already has a streaming device connected.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2018 07:48 PM by Attackcoog.)
04-19-2018 07:40 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(04-19-2018 07:40 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(04-19-2018 11:48 AM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  Wouldn’t Netflix, Hulu, Prime, and ESPN+ run you $45 a month? How many of those have all 3 going in the same month? Most cord cutters, have one for a bit,then switch to another one.

cost will go up

One of the biggest changes to come along that really cranks up the price of cable is the requirement that every TV in a home must have a dedicated cable box. You used to be able to connect a cable ready tv to the cable jack and get basic cable (you couldnt get any scrambled premium channels). That was generally fine for most of the homes TV's. But now--you are required to have a cable box for every TV.

If you are single and have one or 2 TV's--that $10 a box is not a big deal. For a family with TV's in bedrooms, game rooms, kitchen, back patios, etc--it becomes a significant factor. If you ave 8 TV's---thats $80 a month just for the boxes. But if you switch to a streaming service, you would pay a one time charge for 8 Rokus of about $300 (less if some of those TV's are smart TV's). From hen on you would save $80 month. In just 4 months your way ahead of the game. Heck, at my house it would cost me nothing because every TV either is a smart TV or already has a streaming device connected.

With DirectTV I have 4 boxes (Jenies in 3 rooms that can connect to DVR) and a whole home DVR and thats included in the $82 (might be cheaper than that). I believe you are allowed 5 TVs before you are charged for a box. If you have 6 TVs you can use a smart TV and down load the apps of the channels then sign in with your DirectTV info.

I tried 3 or 4 weeks of free streaming before I went back to DirectTV and was using a smart TV with built in Ruko and got the following message.

"This is streaming on another TV"

I was in the family room watching a basketball game on espn with my sons. They had a few friends to come over so I went to the bedroom to finish watching. So even with Ruko it would not let me watch the game on a second TV. Tried another service a week later so this time I tested it and it would not let me watch on 2 TVs.

So unless something has changed in the last few months its not possible to watch the same show on 2 TVs at the same time with streaming services. At least the two I had the problem with. I believe one was Sling.
04-19-2018 08:26 PM
ghostofclt Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
(04-19-2018 05:33 PM)wh49er Wrote:  
(04-19-2018 05:25 PM)ghostofclt Wrote:  

2 months later:

Well, they are in 17 media markets and have an international airport now.

clt says people forget that Boone is the 2nd largest city in Nc behind Raleigh.
04-19-2018 08:51 PM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.

2 months later:

cost will go up

We have 3 young kids and every day is a challenge just getting everything done (soccer, karate, baseball, gymnastics, basketball, homework, etc, etc ). It is very nice to be able to DVR or pause a game, if I cannot watch it live.
04-20-2018 08:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.