Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Nate Darling and Nick Norton transferring from UAB
Bookmark and Share
blazerjay Offline

I Root For: UAB
Donators
Nate Darling and Nick Norton transferring from UAB
The two starters announced today. Makes 4 total transfers with Lavender and Smallwood during the season. Our recruiting class is currently in the top 50, but with our glaring coaching deficiencies with defensive schemes, I don't have much optimisim for significant improvement, even with the upgrade in talent on the roster.

Following Transfers and Graduates, UAB Basketball Looks to Reload With New Pieces

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2018 12:05 PM by blazerjay.)
04-02-2018 11:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

69topper Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WKU
RE: Nate Darling and Nick Norton transferring from UAB
(04-02-2018 11:57 AM)blazerjay Wrote:  The two starters announced today. Makes 4 total transfers with Lavender and Smallwood during the season. Our recruiting class is currently in the top 50, but with our glaring coaching deficiencies with defensive schemes, I don't have much optimisim for significant improvement, even with the upgrade in talent on the roster.

Following Transfers and Graduates, UAB Basketball Looks to Reload With New Pieces

What the he'll. I can't believe this mass exodus of players from our top teams is happening. At the worst time at That. Things start looking up for the league as a whole and they leave putting us back to square one. The generation of instant gratification such ass. How can you build and plan for anything when they all up and leave. Definitely see why G-5 coaches up and leave. You recruit and develop players and then they say "thanks and seeya." Hard for fans to stay loyal and engaged when the players become so self interested. But then again Maybe not. Oh well, thru ranting. Good luck replacing those guys. It's the boat we're all in.
04-02-2018 12:27 PM
Jack Bauer Offline
1st String

Uab coaching staff is horrible. I said it after our first game.
04-02-2018 12:28 PM
odu09 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(04-02-2018 12:27 PM)69topper Wrote:  What the he'll. I can't believe this mass exodus of players from our top teams is happening. At the worst time at That. Things start looking up for the league as a whole and they leave putting us back to square one. The generation of instant gratification such ass. How can you build and plan for anything when they all up and leave. Definitely see why G-5 coaches up and leave. You recruit and develop players and then they say "thanks and seeya." Hard for fans to stay loyal and engaged when the players become so self interested. But then again Maybe not. Oh well, thru ranting. Good luck replacing those guys. It's the boat we're all in.

"The generation of instant gratification" - but coaches leave all the time and their generation isn't called out, I'm sure. I can't stand it when people blame the entire generation as a reason for why college kids make their decisions.
04-02-2018 12:39 PM
ODUBB35 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
In the long run, this type of thing is going to hurt the academics of G5 schools. Less incentive for summer school, early graduation, etc.
04-02-2018 12:41 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(04-02-2018 11:57 AM)blazerjay Wrote:  The two starters announced today. Makes 4 total transfers with Lavender and Smallwood during the season. Our recruiting class is currently in the top 50, but with our glaring coaching deficiencies with defensive schemes, I don't have much optimisim for significant improvement, even with the upgrade in talent on the roster.

This kind of mass exit falls squarely on the HC since there is no coaching change here. The hiring of Robert Ehsan didn't feel right to me when Haase left for Stanford 2 years ago in that time frame UAB is only 2 games above .500 in CUSA play at 19-17 (9-9 2017, 10-8 2018) and a 7 seed last year and 6 seed in the CUSA tournament this year.

My guess 2018-19 will be a make or break year for Ehsan but with losing what was 3 starters and a key contributor in one season to transfer doesn't set up well for a run.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2018 01:25 PM by HerdZoned.)
04-02-2018 01:24 PM
Advertisement

KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
Surprised about Norton, with his dad being the women's coach
04-02-2018 01:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-02-2018 01:30 PM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  Surprised about Norton, with his dad being the women's coach

It looks as if his play diminished quite a bit coming back from his ACL tear. He only avged 7.5 points this year down from 13.1 in 16. ACL injuries are tricky. Sometimes it takes them a full 2 year to heal properly, so Norton could have been dealing with that still
04-02-2018 02:49 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(04-02-2018 01:24 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  

This kind of mass exit falls squarely on the HC since there is no coaching change here. The hiring of Robert Ehsan didn't feel right to me when Haase left for Stanford 2 years ago in that time frame UAB is only 2 games above .500 in CUSA play at 19-17 (9-9 2017, 10-8 2018) and a 7 seed last year and 6 seed in the CUSA tournament this year.

My guess 2018-19 will be a make or break year for Ehsan but with losing what was 3 starters and a key contributor in one season to transfer doesn't set up well for a run.

Neither player played a lick of defense. It is possible that they are leaving because they were told that they were not going to be seeing as much playing time or that they had better play defense to get minutes. It may be a good move by the coach. We have better players coming in.
04-02-2018 03:17 PM
blazerjay Offline

Donators
(04-02-2018 03:17 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  

Neither player played a lick of defense. It is possible that they are leaving because they were told that they were not going to be seeing as much playing time or that they had better play defense to get minutes. It may be a good move by the coach. We have better players coming in.

The defensive issues were not only due to the players not putting in effort on that side of the ball, but also to GLARING weaknesses in the defensive gameplan. When a player or two fails to maintain position occassionally that may be on them. When many players fail defensively in the same manner, that's on the coaches. These tactical weaknesses were easy to pick up within the first two weeks of the season, especially on the deep left side. Yet there were NEVER any adjustments from our coaching staff. Even after countless opponents has career nights feasting on the holes in our defense.

I'll say it now. If there are no changes on the coaching staff in the off-season, this will be Eshan's last year at the helm.
04-02-2018 03:47 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(04-02-2018 03:47 PM)blazerjay Wrote:  

The defensive issues were not only due to the players not putting in effort on that side of the ball, but also to GLARING weaknesses in the defensive gameplan. When a player or two fails to maintain position occassionally that may be on them. When many players fail defensively in the same manner, that's on the coaches. These tactical weaknesses were easy to pick up within the first two weeks of the season, especially on the deep left side. Yet there were NEVER any adjustments from our coaching staff. Even after countless opponents has career nights feasting on the holes in our defense.

I'll say it now. If there are no changes on the coaching staff in the off-season, this will be Eshan's last year at the helm.

I didn't know you had the power to make that decision.
04-02-2018 04:22 PM
Advertisement

TOPSTRAIGHT Online
Heisman

Norton is curious.
04-02-2018 06:13 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-02-2018 03:17 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Neither player played a lick of defense. It is possible that they are leaving because they were told that they were not going to be seeing as much playing time or that they had better play defense to get minutes. It may be a good move by the coach. We have better players coming in.

This is a coaching issue and not a player. Sorry, I'll just say what I skirted around earlier to where you understand. Ehsan and his staff suck. UAB sucks because of it. And players are leaving because they can see that. You don't have 3 starters and one of the key people off the bench transfer in the middle of a coaches contract because the coach wants it. That is suicide to a coach like Ehsan who is probably fighting for his job next year.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2018 06:28 PM by HerdZoned.)
04-02-2018 06:26 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

Only two starters are transferring. And the other two off the bench were not key players. I believe this is Ehsan attempting to correct glaring weaknesses - guard defense. Whether it works remains to be seen.
04-02-2018 06:33 PM
Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB Blazers
We may be losing some experience, but we may gain some experience back if we get any transfers (as I expect we probably will). Norton was generally solid but definitely fell off after the ACL injury. Darling was hit or miss, literally and figuratively. Some games he was as much a liability as he was a benefit.

The players we are bringing in will no doubt have us at or near the top of the league, at least in talent. Along with many other Blazer fans, however, I have my doubts about Ehsan's coaching abilities. The upcoming year will definitely be make or break IMO. We have the potential to have a Top 40 recruiting class when all is said and done, and we return one of the most dynamic players in CUSA (Bryant). UAB has been underachieving for years now. The fans won't tolerate it much longer.
04-02-2018 09:23 PM
Jack Bauer Offline
1st String

Can we have norton
04-02-2018 11:47 PM
Advertisement

TOPSTRAIGHT Online
Heisman

Thanks--but no.
04-03-2018 01:03 AM
notnow Offline
1st String

Norton had a 3 game stretch vs top 4 CUSA teams with a crazy assist/turnover ratio.
26/1. The Blazers did not get it done with pretty good pieces.
Will next year be different? It will be fun to see!
04-03-2018 06:19 AM
69topper Offline
2nd String

(04-02-2018 12:39 PM)odu09 Wrote:  
(04-02-2018 12:27 PM)69topper Wrote:  What the he'll. I can't believe this mass exodus of players from our top teams is happening. At the worst time at That. Things start looking up for the league as a whole and they leave putting us back to square one. The generation of instant gratification such ass. How can you build and plan for anything when they all up and leave. Definitely see why G-5 coaches up and leave. You recruit and develop players and then they say "thanks and seeya." Hard for fans to stay loyal and engaged when the players become so self interested. But then again Maybe not. Oh well, thru ranting. Good luck replacing those guys. It's the boat we're all in.

"The generation of instant gratification" - but coaches leave all the time and their generation isn't called out, I'm sure. I can't stand it when people blame the entire generation as a reason for why college kids make their decisions.
Kids did not always be so quick to bail out not that I don't see why some do. Thinking back to when Patrick Sparks left WKU. Was a starter that the fans loved. Local boy. Up and transfers to U suck K. On some of our boards he is now referred to as turd turd. Just saying it is more of a problem today than in the past ie: 70's and 80's. Kids were more loyal to their school.
04-03-2018 10:19 AM
blazerjay Offline

Donators
(04-02-2018 04:22 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(04-02-2018 03:47 PM)blazerjay Wrote:  

I didn't know you had the power to make that decision.

Obviously, I don't and you know that. I realize you have no control over your smart ass switch.

It's called my opinion. Something each and every one of us is entitled to. Regardless of your blindly follow anyone, no matter their results policy.

Unless coaching and preperation improve He's proving to those that watch every home game up close that he was not ready to be a head coach at this level. He can't seem to fix certain issues and seems to be unware that there actually are issues. His leash has definitely gotten much shorter with the underperfomance of the team since he took over.

His isn't the only short leash either.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2018 10:50 AM by blazerjay.)
04-03-2018 10:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.