UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A new way to end basketball games the Elam Ending
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
A new way to end basketball games the Elam Ending
Just heard this guy on the radio talking about a new way end basketball games which theoretically will do away with excessive fouling and also stop the team who is leading from going into a slowdown.

The idea is that the clock goes dark at the 4 minute mark and then the is a target score to reach, which is 7 points from the leading score. For example if the team ahead leads 65-60, the game ends with the first team to reach 72, 7 points from 65. The leading team doesn't go into a slowdown and the team behind theoretically would not have to start fouling.

I doubt this would ever get implemented, but supposedly, some semi pro leagues and some even called the TBT tournament is using it.

Thoughts.
04-02-2018 09:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I Root For: UAB
RE: A new way to end basketball games the Elam Ending
LMU with Gathers & Kimble would have played 3 less minutes every game that they were leading.
04-02-2018 10:07 AM
the Dragon Offline
Heisman

(04-02-2018 09:51 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Just heard this guy on the radio talking about a new way end basketball games which theoretically will do away with excessive fouling and also stop the team who is leading from going into a slowdown.

The idea is that the clock goes dark at the 4 minute mark and then the is a target score to reach, which is 7 points from the leading score. For example if the team ahead leads 65-60, the game ends with the first team to reach 72, 7 points from 65. The leading team doesn't go into a slowdown and the team behind theoretically would not have to start fouling.

I doubt this would ever get implemented, but supposedly, some semi pro leagues and some even called the TBT tournament is using it.

Thoughts.

On the surface, I like it, but I haven't thought it through completely.
04-02-2018 01:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
It actually sounds like a pretty good idea. One downfall i could immediately think of is players getting mop up duty may get even less pt though.
04-02-2018 02:27 PM
FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
Nothing beats the excitement around the last two minutes of a close game though. It could also cause games to go long if, just in theory, the losing team is down 15 at the beginning of the period and went on a 22-4 run to end it.
04-02-2018 09:26 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(04-02-2018 09:26 PM)FNblazer Wrote:  Nothing beats the excitement around the last two minutes of a close game though. It could also cause games to go long if, just in theory, the losing team is down 15 at the beginning of the period and went on a 22-4 run to end it.

TV controls everything and that's why I don't think it would ever fly. Tv can generally count on a game being 2 hours. With these rules, the length of game is too unpredictable. With a high scoring team it could be over quickly, but with two teams struggling to score, getting 7 points could extend a boring game even longer.
04-02-2018 09:35 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Somewhere during the last 2 years I missed out of the changes to the timeout rule.
How exactly does the 4 minute timeouts work?
It seems like if one team or another calls a timeout that the next 4 minute timeout isn't in place.

Outside of UAB I have watched very few college basketball games the last few years & I have even cut back on the number of UAB games I have watched either live or on tv/internet.
04-03-2018 09:44 AM
Advertisement

blazerjay Offline

Donators
This is one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard of. Why not just go to "driveway" rules and do away with the clock all together...the first team to 50 wins...
04-03-2018 10:30 AM
blazerjay Offline

Donators
(04-03-2018 09:44 AM)the_blazerman Wrote:  Somewhere during the last 2 years I missed out of the changes to the timeout rule.
How exactly does the 4 minute timeouts work?
It seems like if one team or another calls a timeout that the next 4 minute timeout isn't in place.

Outside of UAB I have watched very few college basketball games the last few years & I have even cut back on the number of UAB games I have watched either live or on tv/internet.

Quote:2017-18 NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Regular Season
Media Timeout Format (Rule 5-14.10)

1. Each team has three 30-second timeouts per regulation game, two of which may be carried over to the second half.
2. Each team has one 60-second timeout, which may be used at any time during the game.
3. The electronic media agreement determines the number and media marks for electronic media timeouts (e.g., 15-, 10-, and 5- minute marks or 16-, 12-, 8-, and 4-minute marks).
4. The electronic media timeouts will occur at the first dead ball at or after any of the above minute marks when the game clock is stopped.
5. The first timeout requested (charged) by either team in the second half (regardless of the time on the clock) shall become the length of a timeout called for under the electronic media timeout.
6. When a timeout is granted and creates a dead ball with 30 seconds or less before any of the media marks, or creates the first dead ball after one of the media marks, that timeout will become the scheduled electronic media timeout. (Exception: See #5 above.)
7. In addition to carrying over any unused timeouts into any overtime period, each team shall receive one additional 30-second timeout for each overtime period but not until the period begins.

The following examples are for schools/conferences that use the 16-, 12-, 8-, 4-minute timeout format.

Example No. 1 – First team-called timeout occurs at 17:30 of the first half. (This is either a 30- or 60-second charged timeout).

Scenario-Action
15:55 – Team-called timeout -Charged timeout; becomes the 16-minute media timeout
12:05 – Team-called timeout - Charged timeout; becomes the 12-minute media timeout
11:59 – Dead ball occurs after team took a timeout from 12:30-12:00 -Not a media timeout

Example No. 2 – First team-called timeout occurs at 16:45 of the second half. (This is a charged timeout that becomes the length of a media timeout because it is the first team-called timeout of the second half.)

Scenario - Action
15:55 – First dead ball occurs at or under 16:00 - 16-minute media timeout
12:05 – Team calls a timeout - Charged timeout; becomes the 12-minute media timeout
11:59 – Dead ball occurs after team took a timeout from 12:30-12:00 - Not a media timeout

Example No. 3 – The first dead ball occurs at or below 15:59 of the second half. (This becomes the under 16-minute media timeout.)

Scenario -Action
11:45 – First team-called timeout of second half - Charged timeout and length of the media timeout because it is the first team-called timeout of the second half
10:05 – Team calls a timeout and this is the first dead ball at or under 12:00 (after the first team-called T.O.) - Charged timeout; becomes the 12-minute media timeout
7:45 – Team calls a timeout and this is the first dead ball at or under 8:00
Charged timeout; becomes the 8-minute media timeout

[Note: Bold areas indicate a new rule for men’s basketball compared to the 2016-17 season.]

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=...ga8QpK-yym

I find rule #3 interesting. I didn't know there was an alternate 15/10/5 media timeout option.
04-03-2018 10:39 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Looks a little more complicated than it should but I believe it is a step in the right direction.
04-03-2018 10:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.