UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BJCC Board Member Interview
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

I Root For: UAB
BJCC Board Member Interview
http://embeds.audioboom.com/publishing/p...Breakfast.

Dennis Latham on the BJCC board was interviewed at the beginning of hour 3 on the Leyland show.

Indicated a stadium opening of Spring 2021. Others have indicated an opening of fall 2020. Not sure which one is correct.
03-27-2018 10:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

iam4uab Offline
All American

RE: BJCC Board Member Interview
If true, it makes me feel good about the future with Coach Clark. I mean, I understand that money talks and all, but surely he'll want the satisfaction of running a team through that tunnel to, I would assume, a sold out crowd for the first true home field experience UAB football has ever had. Heck, by that time, we may be legitimately talking about moving into a better league.
03-27-2018 11:18 PM
WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

I always thought approximate stadium construction time is 2 years from 1st shovel to opening day. Of course, with so much other stuff going on at the same time, there could be a myriad of issues to work through. AB could probably shed more light on this...
03-27-2018 11:43 PM
BlazintheATL Offline
All American

I don't see how it could be ready by 2020. The earliest I can see construction beginning is late this year or early next year and from that point I think it will take at least two years.
03-28-2018 12:06 AM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
They were talking about groundbreaking this summer to early fall. Add two years.
03-28-2018 12:41 AM
Advertisement

blazerball25 Offline
Special Teams

OOC schedule for 2021 is:

09/11 - at Georgia
09/25 - at Tulane
10/02 - Liberty

We have an opening for the first week of that season. Would sure be nice to have a hard sellout against a big name opponent on 9/4/2021. Heck, even Alabama State or Alabama A&M would sell it out.
03-28-2018 07:21 AM
imjustafatkid Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bama/UAB/UNA
(03-28-2018 07:21 AM)blazerball25 Wrote:  OOC schedule for 2021 is:

09/11 - at Georgia
09/25 - at Tulane
10/02 - Liberty

We have an opening for the first week of that season. Would sure be nice to have a hard sellout against a big name opponent on 9/4/2021. Heck, even Alabama State or Alabama A&M would sell it out.

I'm hoping they can get it done in time for at least part of the 2020 season. If they break ground this summer, like some have said, it wouldn't be totally out of the realm of possibility for this to be done by the start of that season.
03-28-2018 07:34 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

It was mentioned roughly 2 years from ground breaking.
03-28-2018 07:47 AM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

there's a lot of variables and some levers they can pull to try to hit a certain date. I think a big target for them is the world games which is july 2021

they got regions field up and running on a pretty quick timeline, so it's not impossible.
03-28-2018 08:15 AM
Advertisement

WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

There's a $10 million bonus paid to the company that's rebuilding the interstate through downtown Birmingham to finish by a certain date. Hmmm...
03-28-2018 08:28 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
2021 is correct. It will be a condensed design process to get a ground breaking this year unless they do a Design Build or just design the foundations first. People do not understand the process and how much work that goes into the design aspect.
03-28-2018 09:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

(03-28-2018 09:20 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  2021 is correct. It will be a condensed design process to get a ground breaking this year unless they do a Design Build or just design the foundations first. People do not understand the process and how much work that goes into the design aspect.

After what happened at FIU recently...
03-28-2018 09:32 AM
rook360 Offline
All American

(03-28-2018 09:32 AM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  
(03-28-2018 09:20 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  2021 is correct. It will be a condensed design process to get a ground breaking this year unless they do a Design Build or just design the foundations first. People do not understand the process and how much work that goes into the design aspect.

After what happened at FIU recently...

I'd rather it be done right, than be done fast. We have a new stadium to play in. Let the rest sort itself out.
03-28-2018 10:19 AM
Advertisement

imjustafatkid Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bama/UAB/UNA

I definitely don't know anything about design. Would designing the foundations first to get a jump start on the project be a bad idea?
03-28-2018 10:22 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Do we move one game back to Legion Field for the 100th year anniversary in 2024?

No, we don't. We implode it as part of the 100 year celebration.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2018 10:46 AM by Memphis Blazer.)
03-28-2018 10:46 AM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

They have to have some kind of earth moving before the end of the year, or a lot of this money turns into a pumpkin
03-28-2018 11:02 AM
Blzer4Life Offline
Super Blazer Moderator

Folding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(03-28-2018 08:15 AM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  there's a lot of variables and some levers they can pull to try to hit a certain date. I think a big target for them is the world games which is july 2021

they got regions field up and running on a pretty quick timeline, so it's not impossible.

^This
03-28-2018 11:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
I do this for a living. I built the UAB Rec center. We designed the foundations first and did a design build on the rest. They were drawing as bast as it was coming up.
03-28-2018 11:15 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I dn't think FIU was a design issue first blush. Could be wrong and ma not privy to the info. That was a post tension slab spnning a long distance and I think we will find out over time it was an erection issue. You had a cable failure and the only thing that will cause that is damaging it either physically or indirectly with improper support.

BTW I speak from experience as I just erected two pedestrian bridges last year over a major highway.
03-28-2018 11:18 AM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
(03-28-2018 11:18 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  I dn't think FIU was a design issue first blush. Could be wrong and ma not privy to the info. That was a post tension slab spnning a long distance and I think we will find out over time it was an erection issue. You had a cable failure and the only thing that will cause that is damaging it either physically or indirectly with improper support.

BTW I speak from experience as I just erected two pedestrian bridges last year over a major highway.

After the FIU bridge and USA practice facility collapses, I want them to take the time to do it right. We've waited this long so waiting until '21 is no big deal

Any idea if we end up closer to 45k seats or 55k?
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2018 11:46 AM by BlazerGreen.)
03-28-2018 11:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.