Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UTA Fires Coach And entire coaching staff
Bookmark and Share
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas State
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2018 04:15 PM by RamblinRedWolf.)
03-26-2018 03:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
RE: UTA Fires Coach
UTA Fans: Care to comment on this, any insight you can share.

The guy's been winning, so letting him, AND his entire staff go seems a little out of left field.
03-26-2018 03:58 PM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
Something else must be involved ??
03-26-2018 04:02 PM
_x_ Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
Whoa!!!!

Wonder what this is about. Cross has been there forever and a UTA alum. Last few seasons have been their most successful in awhile. Something's up.
03-26-2018 04:08 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

Hope this isn't NCAA violations.
03-26-2018 04:15 PM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

RE: UTA Fires Coach And entire coaching staff
If violations are involved look for the NCAA to throw the book at UTA while doing nothing to P5 offenders
03-26-2018 04:18 PM
Advertisement

giantbenmav Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UT Arlington
From the AD office. Pretty generic email, with one interesting detail:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
This decision was not made lightly, especially considering the recent competitive success of the team. Unfortunately, the expectations of the program from the head coach and University administration are not in alignment.
------------------------------------------------------
We all knew next year would be a rebuilding year ... maybe the admin wasn't ok with that?

Of course, with the entire staff let go ... something worse is on the table ... very unlikely given the reputation Cross and his staff have built up ...

Sad, Sad day for UTA athletics
03-26-2018 04:49 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
(03-26-2018 04:49 PM)giantbenmav Wrote:  From the AD office. Pretty generic email, with one interesting detail:
This decision was not made lightly, especially considering the recent competitive success of the team. Unfortunately, the expectations of the program from the head coach and University administration are not in alignment.
We all knew next year would be a rebuilding year ... maybe the admin wasn't ok with that?

Of course, with the entire staff let go ... something worse is on the table ... very unlikely given the reputation Cross and his staff have built up ...

Man oh man... this is crazy.

Well, there is a large pool of quality coaching candidates out there for UTA to pick from.
03-26-2018 05:39 PM
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(03-26-2018 04:49 PM)giantbenmav Wrote:  From the AD office. Pretty generic email, with one interesting detail:

sad indeed. everyone I know loves the guy. I know this year was a letdown with all the talent the mavs had and next year was going to really suck with nearly a whole new team but now who knows what is going to happen. I am a '72 grad (B.S. Architecture) and a longtime supporter and in all that time the university has never been a win at all cost type of school so this is really shocking. there must be more to the story. I was thinking that the baseball program needed a change but not this.
03-26-2018 06:17 PM
UTArlingtonMaverick Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UT Arlington
(03-26-2018 06:17 PM)runamuck Wrote:  

sad indeed. everyone I know loves the guy. I know this year was a letdown with all the talent the mavs had and next year was going to really suck with nearly a whole new team but now who knows what is going to happen. I am a '72 grad (B.S. Architecture) and a longtime supporter and in all that time the university has never been a win at all cost type of school so this is really shocking. there must be more to the story. I was thinking that the baseball program needed a change but not this.

I feel bad for Cross. He made and kept us competitive and made some noises....quarter finals of the NIT last year was nice. Beat some big sports names the last few years. Cross is a completely class act.

I thought he was nearly untouchable. Note the word nearly. It has crossed my mind about a change. Mentioned it to my son after the loss in the Sunbelt championship. Didn't think it would happen, however. But, I kinda wondered if we needed somebody more blood thirsty and who could get it done. This team strangely underperformed this year. The year was a big let down considering last year and being loaded with seniors. If Cross couldn't get it done this year, when is he? Did he have an endless leash? Apparently not.

I think it boils down to the AD looking for results, and not seeing it. Our last AD wanted to be loved by everyone and never would have done this in a million years. Baker, by contrast isn't concerned with being loved. He came to us from UT Austin, and they are hard-nosed down there. Sentiment does not govern. I am sure the other coaches in the department are taking note.

Will be interesting to see who is hired. Baker must have the green light to pay more and maybe a lot more.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2018 07:08 PM by UTArlingtonMaverick.)
03-26-2018 07:05 PM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
03-26-2018 07:14 PM
Advertisement

GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

Sometimes these type decisions result in a realization that finding someone who can do better isn’t t as easy as some think
03-26-2018 07:34 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

(03-26-2018 07:14 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  https://mobile.twitter.com/edwardegrosfo...67041?s=21

That's an interesting tweet, if true.

If true, Mav may want to be careful of what they wish for. Yeah, Cross didn't make the Big Dance the last two seasons, but he did win at a pretty phenomenal rate the past 3 years.

No guarantee the next guy will be better. And seeing how Cross was summarily dismissed may put some candidates off . . . after all, this is a G5 gig in a 1 bid Sun Belt Conference, not the ACC . . .

I'm sure they'll get a talented candidate, just not necessarily convinced that he'll be better than what they just shoved out the door. Of course, time will tell.
03-26-2018 07:39 PM
RoyK Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Georgia
(03-26-2018 07:34 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  Sometimes these type decisions result in a realization that finding someone who can do better isn’t t as easy as some think

My thoughts as well. Not bashing but Scott was at least decent if not great compared to some. Have to really wonder about this one.
03-26-2018 07:39 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Great decision by uta. I wish we had done this with our women’s coach 2 years ago
03-26-2018 07:40 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

(03-26-2018 07:34 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  Sometimes these type decisions result in a realization that finding someone who can do better isn’t t as easy as some think

Yeah, just look at "The Withers experiment" in San Marcos . .. . .
03-26-2018 07:40 PM
Advertisement

GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

That s a high standard in a 1 bid league
03-26-2018 07:41 PM
RoyK Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Georgia
(03-26-2018 07:41 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  That s a high standard in a 1 bid league

For real I want some of what the ad is smoking.
03-26-2018 07:43 PM
Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Louisiana
Maybe UTA doesn't plan on hanging around a league that basically doesn't give a crap about basketball.
03-26-2018 07:45 PM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

What school in this league really prioritizes basketball?
03-26-2018 07:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.