Interesting all the way around....
03-21-2018 06:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
RE: Cobra Kai trailer
I didn't expect much going in when I watched the first two free episodes but 4.5 hours and 10 dollars later watching it in one sitting and I was left still wanting more. Incredible.

If you like Better Call Saul(which is probably my favorite show) it's got a similar lovable loser vibe as you watch good hearted but flawed characters go through life the best they know how. Very similar model to that show IMO that works and builds depth off of the original with many twist and turns, emotion and drama like the orginals they were built off of but with fun comedy mixed in.

I seriously could believe Vince Gilligan/Breaking Bad staff were writing this if I didn't know, it is that kind of quality and an anti hero frame with Johnny Lawrence. I highly highly recommend it. If this were cut down to a movie I would rate it as good or better than the original IMO but in a unique different way. It's a shame it's not on a bigger platform or that more people will not see it. I just hope it gets picked up for a season 2.

It has a 9.3 early rating on IMBD. That's like Breaking Bad level/all time good so I guess I'm not the only one that was blown away by it.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2018 03:19 PM by StillJonesing.)
05-04-2018 11:32 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
I might watch the entire series but since it debuted this week I have been wanting to back through the original movies.
05-04-2018 02:29 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-04-2018 02:29 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  I might watch the entire series but since it debuted this week I have been wanting to back through the original movies.

I wouldn't waste my time. There are so many scenes set as flash backs from the 1984 movie laced through it that it's really not necessary to get back into it quick. The story and depth are really much richer and deeper with the new show that you really don't even need to be a fan of the first to enjoy it. That just takes it to another level nostalgia wise. You get everything you really need from this story about the first.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2018 03:29 PM by StillJonesing.)
05-04-2018 03:11 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(05-04-2018 03:11 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  
(05-04-2018 02:29 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  I might watch the entire series but since it debuted this week I have been wanting to back through the original movies.

I wouldn't waste my time. There are so many scenes set as flash backs from the 1984 movie laced through it that it's really not necessary to get back into it quick. The story and depth are really much richer and deeper with the new show that you really don't even need to be a fan of the first to enjoy it. That just takes it to another level nostalgia wise. You get everything you really need from this story about the first.

I got the 4 dvd box set bruh' !

1 & 2 were great (even if somehow recall the ending of 2 being a little longer with a little more resolution between Daniel, the girl, and "the bad guy." The 3rd.... ehh... not bad....not even close to the first two. The 4th, well, it was just bad... and not because it had a female lead....it just plain sucked.
05-04-2018 10:10 PM
Advertisement

StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-04-2018 10:10 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  The 3rd.... ehh... not bad....not even close to the first two.

Been a long time since I've seen part 3 but Kresse's war buddy bad guy in that was younger than Machio in real life. One 28 year old playing a 17 year old, the other a Vietnam vet in 1989. Machio has to be the youngest looking old dude in hollywood.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2018 02:12 PM by StillJonesing.)
05-07-2018 01:38 PM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(05-04-2018 11:32 AM)StillJonesing Wrote:  I didn't expect much going in when I watched the first two free episodes but 4.5 hours and 10 dollars later watching it in one sitting and I was left still wanting more. Incredible.

If you like Better Call Saul(which is probably my favorite show) it's got a similar lovable loser vibe as you watch good hearted but flawed characters go through life the best they know how. Very similar model to that show IMO that works and builds depth off of the original with many twist and turns, emotion and drama like the orginals they were built off of but with fun comedy mixed in.

I seriously could believe Vince Gilligan/Breaking Bad staff were writing this if I didn't know, it is that kind of quality and an anti hero frame with Johnny Lawrence. I highly highly recommend it. If this were cut down to a movie I would rate it as good or better than the original IMO but in a unique different way. It's a shame it's not on a bigger platform or that more people will not see it. I just hope it gets picked up for a season 2.

It has a 9.3 early rating on IMBD. That's like Breaking Bad level/all time good so I guess I'm not the only one that was blown away by it.

I watched the first two free episodes and concur with your analysis. I highly recommend it. Btw, definitely rooting for Johnny thus far.

On another note, Ralph Macchio still looks much younger than his stated age. The dude is 56 years old and at most looks like he is in his late 30s.
05-07-2018 01:41 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-07-2018 01:41 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(05-04-2018 11:32 AM)StillJonesing Wrote:  I didn't expect much going in when I watched the first two free episodes but 4.5 hours and 10 dollars later watching it in one sitting and I was left still wanting more. Incredible.

I watched the first two free episodes and concur with your analysis. I highly recommend it. Btw, definitely rooting for Johnny thus far.

On another note, Ralph Macchio still looks much younger than his stated age. The dude is 56 years old and at most looks like he is in his late 30s.

Pay the 10 bucks man or get the free trial, the rest of the series is just as interesting if not more. I'm still shocked how good it was and went back and watched a couple more episodes and I never do that. Outside of a couple of the teen actors overacting it was pretty flawlessly written and acted IMO. For William Zabka to get taken out of mothballs and pull off the performance he did really says something about his talent. He certainly is a guy that has kept his craft up over the years even while not really working that much that deserves other roles.

This is pretty funny BTW.

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2018 02:08 PM by StillJonesing.)
05-07-2018 01:47 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

This was great too. Barney Stinson got it right.

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2018 02:11 PM by StillJonesing.)
05-07-2018 02:10 PM
Advertisement

Chappy Online
Resident Goonie

(05-07-2018 02:10 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  This was great too. Barney Stinson got it right.

I hope he got a writing credit for episode 8 of cobra kai, lol.
05-08-2018 11:16 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

http://www.darkhorizons.com/cobra-kai-re...eason-two/

Looks like they got the S2 go ahead.
05-10-2018 10:13 PM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(05-07-2018 01:47 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  
(05-07-2018 01:41 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

Pay the 10 bucks man or get the free trial, the rest of the series is just as interesting if not more. I'm still shocked how good it was and went back and watched a couple more episodes and I never do that. Outside of a couple of the teen actors overacting it was pretty flawlessly written and acted IMO. For William Zabka to get taken out of mothballs and pull off the performance he did really says something about his talent. He certainly is a guy that has kept his craft up over the years even while not really working that much that deserves other roles.

This is pretty funny BTW.

Per your recommendation I made the jump and watched the rest of the season. No regrets--- great show.
05-11-2018 02:33 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-10-2018 10:13 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  http://www.darkhorizons.com/cobra-kai-re...eason-two/

Looks like they got the S2 go ahead.

The guy who played Mike Barnes in part 3 confirmed he will be in it. I would have been pissed if this wasn't renewed.

Good thing Ralph Machiio waited around for this project and protected the brand. He probably was approached by several others the last 25 years and it would have been easy to take the cash when he wasn't doing much acting and do whatever crap that was written. It ended up paying off to who knows how many seasons the will get out of it, and quality work at that. Had they did a money grab on a part 4 somewhere down the line it may have ruined it.
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2018 04:13 PM by StillJonesing.)
05-11-2018 04:05 PM
Advertisement

JTiger Offline
Grand Master Sexaaayyyy

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
I started it yesterday and watched the first two episodes. So far so good, I'm impressed. I can't wait to get home to watch more episodes. Lot's of nostalgia with the flashback scenes and music selections.
05-14-2018 06:54 AM
JTiger Offline
Grand Master Sexaaayyyy

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
I finally finished this season and it was pretty good. As mentioned above it was a little cheesy but lots of nostalgia and they certainly left the door open for a second season.
06-06-2018 10:55 AM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

I watched some interviews with the writers and they have sense said they wanted to make it like Better Call Saul. That really jumped out to me from the day I saw it. Anyway the 2nd season looks awesome. 2 trailers up.

These dudes are killing it on You Tube and Star Wars is getting killed despite Billions behind them and on the line to get it right. It's crazy what good and bad writing can do to a franchise.

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2019 02:51 PM by StillJonesing.)
04-04-2019 02:48 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

The series hit Netflix and I watched the first two episodes. Not bad, not bad at all.

But, in the two episodes I did watch via Netflix, it seems they have censored some of the audio in spots... I mean, I doubt its a streaming issue and I wasn't in some kids mode... but it sure did sound like the audio got muted in spots when most likely someone was cursing.

Anyone else have that same issue?
09-27-2020 07:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.