Per Andy Pepper.
03-21-2018 12:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tayle's mullet Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
RE: Reece Goddard has left program
That sucks, but tells me the quality depth at that position has been upgraded through recent recruiting. Best of luck to him at the FCS level.
03-21-2018 12:13 PM
GRBRONCO Offline
1st String

It was painfully obvious the young man was not a D1 QB. He was never going to see the field again for the Broncos.
03-21-2018 12:23 PM
RunningGame Offline
All American

Must be Eleby or Riddle surpassed him. He had fight, no doubt about that.

If Wassink gets injured though, we’re almost back to square one in the passing game, though Riddle has a year and Eleby has a spring under their belts.
03-21-2018 12:49 PM
Football1 Offline
Water Engineer

(03-21-2018 12:23 PM)GRBRONCO Wrote:  It was painfully obvious the young man was not a D1 QB. He was never going to see the field again for the Broncos.

(03-21-2018 12:49 PM)RunningGame Wrote:  Must be Eleby or Riddle surpassed him. He had fight, no doubt about that.

If Wassink gets injured though, we’re almost back to square one in the passing game, though Riddle has a year and Eleby has a spring under their belts.

Word is that he was passed by Eleby and Mussatt, and that Riddle still works with the scout team.
03-21-2018 12:56 PM
Advertisement

Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
(03-21-2018 12:49 PM)RunningGame Wrote:  Must be Eleby or Riddle surpassed him. He had fight, no doubt about that.

When BAMA went to a true freshmen was there drop off? How bout when Tim Hiller stepped in as a true freshmen? Rector or Eleby may have a big talent edge, doesn’t matter if they’re freshmen, if they’re better they’re better.
03-21-2018 01:11 PM
ColinApocalypse Offline

Did anyone else see this coming a mile away?

There was a huge drop-off in raw talent when Wassink went down. I'm willing to bet Eleby and Rector are both much better, too.

Good luck Reece, I hope you find a place to land somewhere else.
03-21-2018 01:25 PM
GullLake Offline
Support Hong Kong protesters!

I Root For: Joe Manchin
The kid was forced to play before he was ready, and without an adequate receiving corps to bail him out.

I can think of at least two spot-on passes late in the CMU debacle that were dropped by open receivers.

That said, he had his chance. Too bad things did not work-out and I wish him well in all his future endeavors.

Thanks for being a Bronco, Reece!
03-21-2018 02:40 PM
Wmufan715 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Wmu
He had a chance to be something. He broke the Missouri record for TDs by Jeremy Maclin. He just needed to be in a weight room for 2 years before seeing the field
03-21-2018 04:04 PM
Advertisement

MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
That's too bad.

For him, hope he finds a place he can play.

For us, tough to replace the experience even if he was only going to be back-up.

There is no substitute for experience.
03-21-2018 04:14 PM
ColinApocalypse Offline

Eleby, another freshmen from Missouri, already passed him up. So that's the end of that story.

Onward and upward.
03-21-2018 04:15 PM
Football1 Offline
Water Engineer

(03-21-2018 04:04 PM)Wmufan715 Wrote:  He had a chance to be something. He broke the Missouri record for TDs by Jeremy Maclin. He just needed to be in a weight room for 2 years before seeing the field

He had no other D1 offers and was a last minute replacement for the boy that went to Minnesota. He had his chance. Next man up.
03-21-2018 04:22 PM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

Apparently Lester is not immune to QB "busts" and leaving the program. 05-stirthepot

On a serious note, I actually did think he showed some potential. But he made the right decision since Wassink is still going to be around and we've got some solid young guys waiting in the wings. Best of luck to him.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2018 06:58 AM by Hoekjeness.)
03-22-2018 06:57 AM
Advertisement

GRBRONCO Offline
1st String

In Lester's defense, he only had a couple weeks to throw together a class. Not many options at that point and he was worth taking a chance on. Didn't work out, no damage done, QB play can only go up from here on..
03-22-2018 07:02 AM
brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY
(03-21-2018 04:14 PM)MajorHoople Wrote:  That's too bad.

For us, tough to replace the experience even if he was only going to be back-up.

Disagree. Talent, good coaching, and circumstances are great substitutes for experience. Lots of situations, each and every year, where inexperienced QB's flourish, and even become instant stars. The coaches for those kids put them in good situations to be successful, and they take advantage. Respectfully, I think Lester (or perhaps the OC) believed that conservative play calling was the way to go with both of our "inexperienced" QB's, and that resulted too often in bad situations for any QB, experienced or not.
03-22-2018 07:20 AM
RunningGame Offline
All American

(03-22-2018 07:20 AM)brovol Wrote:  
(03-21-2018 04:14 PM)MajorHoople Wrote:  That's too bad.

Disagree. Talent, good coaching, and circumstances are great substitutes for experience. Lots of situations, each and every year, where inexperienced QB's flourish, and even become instant stars. The coaches for those kids put them in good situations to be successful, and they take advantage. Respectfully, I think Lester (or perhaps the OC) believed that conservative play calling was the way to go with both of our "inexperienced" QB's, and that resulted too often in bad situations for any QB, experienced or not.

All of those things matter, but I'd take experience over talent at QB in college. If this were true, you'd see a ton of freshman playing, when you typically only see a few where their talent or head for the game is obviously better than the upperclassmen, or in programs surrounded with top-flight talent. They are the exception, not the rule.

Zach Terrell did not have a lot of obvious physical talent over other guys at the position, so much so he was nearly booted off the team, yet with a year of experience (and good coaching and circumstances, etc.) he was able to become a truly efficient QB, and then later on a dangerous QB, even a running threat in the red zone running a 5-second 40. That's the power of experience, of which good coaching is a prime commodity.

For me, here's what there is no substitute for, which separates good players from elite players: confidence and the will to win. Talent, experience, coaching, circumstances all feed into that key. Sometimes those true freshman hit a sweet spot right off the bat and it never occurs to them that they might fail, they just keep rolling.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2018 09:20 AM by RunningGame.)
03-22-2018 09:19 AM
BuickBronco Offline
Special Teams

He's transferring to pursue his track career. Leaving football for good.

Relax everyone
03-22-2018 10:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.