Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Unofficial 2018/9 MBB Off Season Thread
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
MyBB Unofficial 2018/9 MBB Off Season Thread
The 2017/8 season is behind us and the 2018/9 is ahead.

All we KNOW is that Bond has exhausted his eligibility and needs to be replaced.

We have two recruits coming in. That much seems certain.

Everything else is essentially SPECULATION. Murphy in the post-game gave absolutely NO hints that others would be leaving. The way I interpreted his comments is that he knows of no one who has indicated that they plan to leave. I believe the quote was something like: "With everyone back except Bond who is graduating..." (quote as I remember it).

Yet, as '79 indicates that add 2 subtract 1 = 14 scholarship players and 'that doesn't compute.'

We'll see if a player leaves and who... Right now any guesses are pure speculation, but I'd guess with the semester ending in April if any player(s) are going to transfer word will get out sooner, rather than later...

Once again, we need to remember that this is COLLEGE basketball and any player who say drops out or tries to transfer with say one semester of academics left is foolish. Grad transfers are legit and I hope we don't get hit there. Grad transfers meet the goal of completing a degree and the opportunity to play one more season perhaps at a higher or lower level of competition, as appropriate.

P.S. As folks may know the head coach usually meets with the players soon after the season ends. The coach will indicate his expectations for the player, including his assessment of that players role of the team. Sometimes a player will 'see the handwriting on the wall' and decide to leave for a different opportunity.

This is no different which happens in FB after the season and after Spring Ball. Players have decisions to be made. Does a QB who is #3 on the depth chart want to stay? Is he a rising junior with another rising junior ahead of him? Are the QBs ahead of him rising seniors? Is the player content holding the clipboard but be on a conference champion team?
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2018 06:25 AM by emu steve.)
03-20-2018 06:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
RE: Unofficial 2018/9 MBB Off Season Thread
(03-20-2018 06:11 AM)emu steve Wrote:  The 2017/8 season is behind us and the 2018/9 is ahead.

All we KNOW is that Bond has exhausted his eligibility and needs to be replaced.

Everything else is essentially SPECULATION. Murphy in the post-game gave absolutely NO hints that others would be leaving. The way I interpreted his comments is that he knows of no one who has indicated that they plan to leave. I believe the quote was something like: "With everyone back except Bond who is graduating..." (quote as I remember it).

Yet, as '79 indicates that add 2 subtract 1 = 14 scholarship players and 'that doesn't compute.'

We'll see if a player leaves and who... Right now any guesses are pure speculation, but I'd guess with the semester ending in April if any player(s) are going to transfer word will get out sooner, rather than later...

Once again, we need to remember that this is COLLEGE basketball and any player who say drops out or tries to transfer with say one semester of academics left is foolish. Grad transfers are legit and I hope we don't get hit there. Grad transfers meet the goal of completing a degree and the opportunity to play one more season perhaps at a higher or lower level of competition, as appropriate.

P.S. As folks may know the head coach usually meets with the players soon after the season ends. The coach will indicate his expectations for the player, including his assessment of that players role of the team. Sometimes a player will 'see the handwriting on the wall' and decide to leave for a different opportunity.

This is no different which happens in FB after the season and after Spring Ball. Players have decisions to be made. Does a QB who is #3 on the depth chart want to stay? Is he a rising junior with another rising junior ahead of him? Are the QBs ahead of him rising seniors? Is the player content holding the clipboard but be on a conference champion team?

Sheer speculation on my part, but King may leave to go JUCO, his mom moved to Texas from the Washington state area. I could see Murphy "placing" him at a Texas juco (trinity for example) to develop for year and then wanting to take him back for two more years....again I'm not saying I want this to happen just thinking out loud.
03-20-2018 07:14 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

03-20-2018 07:18 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

As mentioned Nobles may decide to go the graduate transfer route. I can't understand why Murphy would say everyone is coming back when he knows better and can count to 13.

Team was on the ropes at the end of January and then Ellison and Bond were starters, I didn't understand the move to have Bond come of the bench when he is your best defensive player. The CIT was worth the $$$ just to give Macdoo minutes and playing time.

I don't see us adding more than the 2 we have coming in unless "someone" else isn't coming back. Love to see Thompson come back.

Team needs to learn to fire all cylinders out of the gate and play two halves of basketball next year and we could win the MAC.
03-20-2018 08:07 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(03-20-2018 07:14 AM)emu79 Wrote:  
(03-20-2018 06:11 AM)emu steve Wrote:  The 2017/8 season is behind us and the 2018/9 is ahead.

Sheer speculation on my part, but King may leave to go JUCO, his mom moved to Texas from the Washington state area. I could see Murphy "placing" him at a Texas juco (trinity for example) to develop for year and then wanting to take him back for two more years....again I'm not saying I want this to happen just thinking out loud.

'79, I lOVE the idea. 04-cheers IF Thompson returns and the grad transfer comes, then 'farming' out King to JUCO would be a great idea. Let him get 30 - 35 minutes of JUCO ball and come back for his last two seasons and compete with the grad transfer in 2019/2020.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2018 09:04 AM by emu steve.)
03-20-2018 09:03 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
(03-20-2018 08:07 AM)emu79 Wrote:  The CIT was worth the $$$ just to give Macdoo minutes and playing time.

This. At the very least, it provided us with some optimism for next season, at a position where we struggled all year.

I also agree with your sentiment about Murphy bringing Bond off of the bench for a while. More so than his lack of an offensive system, I hate how he tinkers too much with lineups. You can honestly add not playing McAdoo most of the year to that list. He had been flashing some offensive talent every time he played, yet Murphy would give him the quick hook after his first mistake (sound familiar?). Murphy let him play 35 minutes last night, and we were handsomely rewarded.
03-20-2018 10:10 AM
Advertisement

EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(03-20-2018 09:03 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(03-20-2018 07:14 AM)emu79 Wrote:  

'79, I lOVE the idea. 04-cheers IF Thompson returns and the grad transfer comes, then 'farming' out King to JUCO would be a great idea. Let him get 30 - 35 minutes of JUCO ball and come back for his last two seasons and compete with the grad transfer in 2019/2020.

I'd prefer that to redshirting him, honestly. Redshirting a guy isn't always the best idea. Sure, it gives them a year to practice, build their body, and become acclimated to college life at a slower pace, but it also could lead to a grad transfer situation where we only get three years of actual gameplay out of the athlete.

We are kind of seeing that with the Nobles speculation. He probably wasn't ready to play as a freshman, so it made sense to redshirt him. Now, he is a key rotation piece, and probably the best shooter on the team. I would be pretty bummed if he left, but I can't blame a kid for graduating on time and wanting to get his Masters at a P5 school. I can guarantee you that they will be interested in him.
03-20-2018 10:14 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I just want to be clear I love to have King stay at EMU. However he would be better served getting some minutes at a JUCO and developing. I think that may have been the idea with Epps although he didn't show much his frosh year at JUCO. If King stays here, its time to hit the weights and add some muscle. King is a natural shot blocker and doesn't mind rebounding. Bud Jones is further along because he had a year of prep school.
03-20-2018 11:38 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(03-20-2018 11:38 AM)emu79 Wrote:  I just want to be clear I love to have King stay at EMU. However he would be better served getting some minutes at a JUCO and developing. I think that may have been the idea with Epps although he didn't show much his frosh year at JUCO. If King stays here, its time to hit the weights and add some muscle. King is a natural shot blocker and doesn't mind rebounding. Bud Jones is further along because he had a year of prep school.

I agree with your comments.

As far as Epps, I assume he is your typical non-qualifier who is 'serving' his two years at JUCO trying to become eligible.

IF that is correct, then he is no different than hundreds and hundreds of JUCO MBB players.

He could still be an April, 2019 signee.
03-20-2018 11:45 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

BTW, when we look back at 2017/8 one thing we need to realize about post-season:

1). Of the 68 teams in the NCAAs, 50 are there because they are top 50 teams. The rest are there as conference champs and they can be also-rans.

2). There are 32 NIT teams, most of which are top 100 teams. Only a few regular season conference champs.

So far we are at say top 75 ranked teams.

3). Next are CIT and then CBI.

Not getting into the NCAAs or NIT means a team is not top 75. There are 350 teams in D-I. Not Being top 75 is no sin. Teams 76 - 120 are still top 25 - 33%. I'd be very happy if we are top 1/3 in MAC FB this year.

In CFB, 80 of the 130 FBS teams get to a bowl game. There is much more of an 'everyone gets a trophy in CFB' than MBB.
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2018 06:29 AM by emu steve.)
03-21-2018 06:23 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

This is my 'day late, dollar short' post. It is actually about 15 months late.

I just got my copy of Blue Ribbon yearbook for 2017/8 (hint: I do know the 2017/8 season ended Monday).

This yearbook has TONS of information few know about. The nugget was that Ty Toney (remember him?) tore his meniscus on Dec 17 (2016) vs. Vermont and was never the same. He sat out three games.

Interesting.
03-21-2018 10:41 AM
Advertisement

RamyEMU Offline
All American

(03-21-2018 06:23 AM)emu steve Wrote:  BTW, when we look back at 2017/8 one thing we need to realize about post-season:

1). Of the 68 teams in the NCAAs, 50 are there because they are top 50 teams. The rest are there as conference champs and they can be also-rans.

2). There are 32 NIT teams, most of which are top 100 teams. Only a few regular season conference champs.

Not getting into the NCAAs or NIT means a team is not top 75. There are 350 teams in D-I. Not Being top 75 is no sin. Teams 76 - 120 are still top 25 - 33%. I'd be very happy if we are top 1/3 in MAC FB this year.

In CFB, 80 of the 130 FBS teams get to a bowl game. There is much more of an 'everyone gets a trophy in CFB' than MBB.

I agree completely. No one is or should treat making the CIT or CBi like the accomplishment of making the NCAA or NiT. But it does mean you are above a large segment of d1. And it would be even better if some other high majors weee not so snooty about it- ie, Toledo.
03-21-2018 09:45 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

BTW, who are the 2 recruits EMU has coming in?
03-21-2018 09:46 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-21-2018 09:46 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  BTW, who are the 2 recruits EMU has coming in?

Tourne the transfer center and Parris the JUCO guard and we just offered Cook a 6'5 JUCO wing.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2018 06:07 AM by emu79.)
03-22-2018 01:58 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(03-21-2018 09:45 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  
(03-21-2018 06:23 AM)emu steve Wrote:  BTW, when we look back at 2017/8 one thing we need to realize about post-season:

I agree completely. No one is or should treat making the CIT or CBi like the accomplishment of making the NCAA or NiT. But it does mean you are above a large segment of d1. And it would be even better if some other high majors weee not so snooty about it- ie, Toledo.

Tol-Edo is a mid major (maybe even a low major)
03-22-2018 05:15 AM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

(03-22-2018 01:58 AM)emu79 Wrote:  
(03-21-2018 09:46 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  BTW, who are the 2 recruits EMU has coming in?

Tourne the transfer center and Parris the JUCO guard and we just offered Cook a 6'5 JUCO wing.

Thanks!
03-22-2018 10:56 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

(03-22-2018 10:56 AM)RamyEMU Wrote:  

Thanks!

BTW, I think we can safely assume the following:

1). Bond has exhausted his eligibility (100% sure of that).

2). Presumably Harris will graduate and play elsewhere, if that is his desire. I'd be 99% sure of that as he hardly got off the bench during the conference season.

So that accounts for the two accepted scholarship offers we have outstanding.

Rest is as they say: TBD.

Minnie, Jackson, Nobles have all been out of h.s. 4 years and should be on pace to graduate. What's next for them? TBD.

I would be very surprised if JT4 has 4 years of course work in 3 (years) and able to graduate this spring/summer. NBA? Europe? Comeback for his senior year?

We have the question marks that a team has which has a lot of players who have been out of high school for four years. Everyone here knows of 'grad transfer' which is a big think in college hoops.
03-22-2018 11:27 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-22-2018 11:27 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(03-22-2018 10:56 AM)RamyEMU Wrote:  

Thanks!

BTW, I think we can safely assume the following:

1). Bond has exhausted his eligibility (100% sure of that).

2). Presumably Harris will graduate and play elsewhere, if that is his desire. I'd be 99% sure of that as he hardly got off the bench during the conference season.

So that accounts for the two accepted scholarship offers we have outstanding.

Rest is as they say: TBD.

Minnie, Jackson, Nobles have all been out of h.s. 4 years and should be on pace to graduate. What's next for them? TBD.

I would be very surprised if JT4 has 4 years of course work in 3 (years) and able to graduate this spring/summer. NBA? Europe? Comeback for his senior year?

We have the question marks that a team has which has a lot of players who have been out of high school for four years. Everyone here knows of 'grad transfer' which is a big think in college hoops.

Or Silver got homesick and since he redshirted he may move closer to home

but again why would Murphy say everyone would be back next year? Maybe he WISHES they would all come back next year and expressed such. Yes he will meet with the players and tell them what he sees but also players can tell him and the staff what THEIR plans are.
03-22-2018 11:42 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

Signing period is April 11 to May 16
03-23-2018 04:50 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(03-23-2018 04:50 AM)emu79 Wrote:  Signing period is April 11 to May 16

This is why coaches sit down with players right after the season ends to discuss their future with the program.

Everyone needs to know what page they are on.

If a player wants to grad transfer the coaching staff needs to know that. Ditto if JT4 has alternate plans.

One situation which could be difficult is Minnie. Not sure if his mother is a single parent. I know from a newspaper article that he has a brother, very good player, still in high school. I'd have to find the article for more details on his family circumstances. Doesn't sound good when a 16 or 17 year old loses his parent, esp. if it is a single parent.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2018 05:42 AM by emu steve.)
03-23-2018 05:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.