Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Next Year
Bookmark and Share
skyblade Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
Next Year
Now that this season is over, what is your take on next year? My far too early conference rankings.

1. Cincinnati. Losses: Clark, Washington and probably Evans.
Cincinnati loses three, but their replacements are all already on the roster and ready to step into the starting role. Expect UC to be a work in progress early in the season, but to put it together by the time conference play roles around.

2. UCF. Losses: A.J. Davis, Mumin.
Losing one starter and one seldom used backup and gaining a healthy Tacko Fall. UCF will be a tough team to beat, playing very much in the UC mold with tough D. Every game with UCF will be a dog fight and I expect them to come out on top more often then not.

3. SMU. Losses: Ben Emelogu, Akoy Agau and probably Shake Milton.
Injuries bit SMU this year, but it will make them tougher next year. Playing without Shake will have them ready for Shake going pro early (if he does). Expect them to compete for the conference title.

4. Memphis. Losses: Jimaria Rivers and their coach.
Memphis I could see ending up anywhere from the top to the bottom of the conference. They've got the players to be competative and if Penny can bring in a one-and-done or two, they could easily win the league.

5. Houston. Losses: Devin Davis, Rob Gray, Nurra Zanna, Wes VanBeck.
They lose three starters and their star player in Gray. Houston will have three senior starters to carry the load, but Gray and Davis were their two main weapons to take guys one-on-one. They will need others players to step up. All the teams to this point will have a shot at winning the conference.

6. UConn. Losses: David Onuorah, Antwoine Anderson.
A healthy UConn team with a new coach is a challenge to place. They could easily be a much better team then last year. They may challenge to win the conference or they may be a disaster.

7. Tulsa. Losses: Junior Etou, Jahleel Wheeler, Corey Henderson Jr.
They lose 2 starters and a backup. They are a deep team though and will likely continue to play well.

8. Wichita State. Losses: Everyone. Not quite, but: Frankamp, Morris, Willis Jr. Nurger, Brown, Kelly and probably Shamet.

Reeves, McDuffie and a bunch of players who didn't play are going to have to pull a miracle to be in the top of the conference next year. If Greg Marshall is going to leave to coach a new team, this is probably his time to go.

9. Temple. Losses: Obi Enechionyia, Josh Brown.
An inconsistent Temple team loses only two starters. Could be higher, but based on last years play they need to learn to beat teams they should beat.

10. Tulane. Losses: Cameron Reynolds and probably Melvin Frazier.
Like Temple they bring most of their team back, but like Temple they were not very good last year. I could see them finishing a little higher though.

11. ECU. Losses: Aaron Jackson, B.J. Tyson, Jabari Craig.
Losing one starter and two backups means ECU at least gets out of last place next year. They may even finish 8 or 9.

12. USF. Losses: Stephan Jiggetts, Isaiah Manderson, Terrence Samuel, Payton Banks.
Remember when USF looked like they had turned things around and would be a major power in our conference basketball. Well, they lose 4 major contributors from the 2nd to last place team. Expect them to stay at the bottom for at least another year.

I predict 5 teams (UC, UCF, SMU, Memphis and Houston, UConn or long-shot Wichita State) make the NCAA tournament. I could see as many as 6 or as few as 4. I think the AAC will be a better conference next year. ECU should be less of a drag on the conference RPI, but USF will likely be sub 200. If Shamet, Evans, Frazier or Milton don't go pro it will help their teams quite a bit. Cincinnati becomes the clear favorite if Evans stays.

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2018 09:20 AM by skyblade.)
03-19-2018 09:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

RE: Next Year
Wow...BJ Taylor is STILL at UCF? That's nuts...I feel like I've watched him for ages.

03-19-2018 09:58 AM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
I posted this in another thread but I think next year's team will shape up a lot like the 2012 team that finished 22-12. That team basically was SK knocking back 20 points a game surrounded by guys like Titus Rubles, Shaq Thomas, Justin Jackson, Mbodj, etc. who all contributed 3-5 points/game. Next year it will be Jarron with a supporting front court cast of Nysier Brooks, Trevon Scott, Mamadou Diarra doing much of the same as that squad.

03-19-2018 10:03 AM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I am actually somewhat hopeful that Jacob Evans returns next year.

That being said, I am guessing that we are in a "rebuilding" year and probably the 3rd or 4th best team in the Conference (behind Houston, UCF, and maybe Memphis depending how they shape up with their Coaching change...)

03-19-2018 10:09 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

(03-19-2018 10:09 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  I am actually somewhat hopeful that Jacob Evans returns next year.

That being said, I am guessing that we are in a "rebuilding" year and probably the 3rd or 4th best team in the Conference (behind Houston, UCF, and maybe Memphis depending how they shape up with their Coaching change...)

If you switch Houston with UConn I think you're on it. Temple could surprise some people too...this is going to be Quintin Rose's prove it year.

03-19-2018 10:11 AM
Bearcat01 Offline
Special Teams

evans comes back before cumberland. league go be a lot tougher next year. at best 7 seed

03-19-2018 10:14 AM
Advertisement

doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
If Evans and Cumberland return (which they should) we will be a bottom seed. If one leaves NIT. If both leave we will be home watching.

03-19-2018 10:20 AM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(03-19-2018 10:11 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(03-19-2018 10:09 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  I am actually somewhat hopeful that Jacob Evans returns next year.

If you switch Houston with UConn I think you're on it. Temple could surprise some people too...this is going to be Quintin Rose's prove it year.

It's really hard to tell what happens going forward with BOTH UConn and Temple. UConn is in the middle of a messy coaching change, Temple is reported to be having "a meeting" to "discuss" their coach's performance next week. A lot of variables hang in the balance: who's the next coach? how many players return, how many transfer out? does the new coach 'use' the pieces in place or scrap everything for a new start?

I'll put Temple in that group ahead of UC if Dunphy and his players return with some new assistants. UConn, I have to wait and see what happens with the Coaching situation.

03-19-2018 10:23 AM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
Evans is gonna leave, Cumberland will be dominant next year, Tre Scott will be much better, and we'll probably slip into the tournament as a 7-10 seed. Perhaps we will pull a Xavier next year in March.

03-19-2018 10:39 AM
skyblade Offline
1st String

(03-19-2018 10:03 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I posted this in another thread but I think next year's team will shape up a lot like the 2012 team that finished 22-12. That team basically was SK knocking back 20 points a game surrounded by guys like Titus Rubles, Shaq Thomas, Justin Jackson, Mbodj, etc. who all contributed 3-5 points/game. Next year it will be Jarron with a supporting front court cast of Nysier Brooks, Trevon Scott, Mamadou Diarra doing much of the same as that squad.

I have more faith in the front court then a lot of people. I also don't see Washington as a loss, I think we will be better with Brooks/Nsoseme, not worse. Loved Washington's attitude, but defensively he was exposed too often and offensively he went silent in big games (and took too many bad shots and he didn't pass).

I think Scott will surprise people with his offense next year. He has flashed post moves a number of times this season and I think will have a developed enough game to go for 8-10 points per game next year and 10 rebounds. Scott also has a nice looking jump shot and I expect him to be a threat to score from anywhere inside 15 feet once he is settled in as a starter. Brooks I expect will develop at least one go to move on O, but will average probably 6-8 ppg. The biggest advantage of Brooks/Nsoseme will be on the defensive end, they will be far superior to Washington. Nsoseme won't be a scorer, but will be in the Justin Jackson type mold of hard play and extremely athletic. Diarra is the wild card, he has the athleticism of Justin Jackson and the ability to shoot it from 3, if he can provide 10-15 minutes of intense play in a backup role he will have been a great pickup.

The back court will be excellent if Evans returns and will likely make us a top 10 team and a 2-3 seed in the NCAA tournament. Without Evans, we need Moore or Williams to step up (or to find a JUCO player) and will likely still be top 25. I expect Broome to continue to settle in and be more confident in taking the ball to the hoop. Cumberland/Evans will be the main scorers, but Broome will be a constant threat. Williams/Moore will hopefully start to provide some offense from the bench.

I do expect at least one or two losses to teams we should beat (especially without Evans). Especially early in the season or early in conference play. That may be enough for UCF or another team to knock us from the top spot in conference.

03-19-2018 10:42 AM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
(03-19-2018 10:42 AM)skyblade Wrote:  
(03-19-2018 10:03 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I posted this in another thread but I think next year's team will shape up a lot like the 2012 team that finished 22-12. That team basically was SK knocking back 20 points a game surrounded by guys like Titus Rubles, Shaq Thomas, Justin Jackson, Mbodj, etc. who all contributed 3-5 points/game. Next year it will be Jarron with a supporting front court cast of Nysier Brooks, Trevon Scott, Mamadou Diarra doing much of the same as that squad.

I have more faith in the front court then a lot of people. I also don't see Washington as a loss, I think we will be better with Brooks/Nsoseme, not worse. Loved Washington's attitude, but defensively he was exposed too often and offensively he went silent in big games (and took too many bad shots and he didn't pass).

I think Scott will surprise people with his offense next year. He has flashed post moves a number of times this season and I think will have a developed enough game to go for 8-10 points per game next year and 10 rebounds. Scott also has a nice looking jump shot and I expect him to be a threat to score from anywhere inside 15 feet once he is settled in as a starter. Brooks I expect will develop at least one go to move on O, but will average probably 6-8 ppg. The biggest advantage of Brooks/Nsoseme will be on the defensive end, they will be far superior to Washington. Nsoseme won't be a scorer, but will be in the Justin Jackson type mold of hard play and extremely athletic. Diarra is the wild card, he has the athleticism of Justin Jackson and the ability to shoot it from 3, if he can provide 10-15 minutes of intense play in a backup role he will have been a great pickup.

The back court will be excellent if Evans returns and will likely make us a top 10 team and a 2-3 seed in the NCAA tournament. Without Evans, we need Moore or Williams to step up (or to find a JUCO player) and will likely still be top 25. I expect Broome to continue to settle in and be more confident in taking the ball to the hoop. Cumberland/Evans will be the main scorers, but Broome will be a constant threat. Williams/Moore will hopefully start to provide some offense from the bench.

I do expect at least one or two losses to teams we should beat (especially without Evans). Especially early in the season or early in conference play. That may be enough for UCF or another team to knock us from the top spot in conference.

I think UC's a top 15 team with Evans back, probably a 7-10 seed if he doesn't return. UC having a high ceiling depends on the development of Scott and either Nosome or Brooks. The other big thing is if Williams can make a big leap in his understanding of the game and Evans returns, UC should have the personnel to play small.

03-19-2018 10:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dj3600 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Uc
I don't think it will be that bad next year. If Jacob comes back you him a Jarron plus I think Cane will be improved. If the big guys play solid D and rebound should finish in the top part of the conference. The big question will be if there is any kind of bench. Also I expect a more guard friendly offense. (up tempo hopefully)

03-19-2018 10:50 AM
bearcatmark Offline

I mean...for all his supposed defensive issues, UC finished 2nd in kenpom adjusted defense. I think people overstate Washington's defensive liabilities. He wasn't as good as the other bigs, but he had a solid defensive season and protected the back end pretty well.

03-19-2018 10:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dj3600 Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-19-2018 10:50 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

I mean...for all his supposed defensive issues, UC finished 2nd in kenpom adjusted defense. I think people overstate Washington's defensive liabilities. He wasn't as good as the other bigs, but he had a solid defensive season and protected the back end pretty well.
He was a good team defender but got exposed on the pick and roll plus he got used by the shockers big guys. Loved his energy though

03-19-2018 10:57 AM
bearcatmark Offline

I guess my point is, Washington was a plus defender this season. He's probably a B level defender, on a team of a bunch of A and A+ defenders. He had some liabilities that could be attacked, but was mostly very good and the overall team defense didn't suffer much with him on the floor.

03-19-2018 11:01 AM
Bearcat01 Offline
Special Teams

(03-19-2018 10:50 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

he had couple blocks here and there. other than that worst uc defensive big under mick. He didnt even challenge last 5 points of game. actually fouled them both times pushing them in chest. He has to know make martin go around him and we still at least have lead.

03-19-2018 11:04 AM
Advertisement

Bearcat01 Offline
Special Teams

(03-19-2018 11:01 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  I guess my point is, Washington was a plus defender this season. He's probably a B level defender, on a team of a bunch of A and A+ defenders. He had some liabilities that could be attacked, but was mostly very good and the overall team defense didn't suffer much with him on the floor.

every game we lost was because of his defense at one some point in games. If scott was in game over him last 2min we not even having this discussion. he didnt even attempt to challenge last put back at all. he jump thats easy block. I don't even think he knew score

03-19-2018 11:07 AM
dj3600 Offline
Bench Warmer

My biggest problem with the Kyle was not his D I think he was ok. He just settled to much on offense granted this team had trouble passing into the post but I felt like him and Gary need to work harder at getting better low post position. I hated watching them post at 3 point line. Fortson was great at this he would run right to the front of the rim and sit down K-mart was good at it also

03-19-2018 11:14 AM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
somebody grab a chatter hat. found it

brooks, 4, 5, 1
cumberland 17, 5, 3
broome 14, 4, 4
williams 10, 2, 2
jenifer 6, 2, 4

scott 6, 2, 7
moore 7, 1, 2
nsoseme 3, 3, 0
diarra 2, 2, 0
hardnett, 3, 0, 1
johnson 5, 2, 2

03-19-2018 11:24 AM
Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
(03-19-2018 10:39 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  Evans is gonna leave, Cumberland will be dominant next year, Tre Scott will be much better, and we'll probably slip into the tournament as a 7-10 seed. Perhaps we will pull a Xavier next year in March.

Evans didn't do anything this year that would boost his stock. Had he put the team on his back for a long tournament run... maybe.

He's a good, not great player who's not going anywhere.

03-19-2018 01:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.