Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Where will Alex Lomax play his freshman season of collegiate basketball?
Wichita State
Memphis
Somewhere else
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Where will Alex Lomax play his freshman season?
AndShock Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wichita State
Where will Alex Lomax play his freshman season?
No trolling or smack. Just everyone officially casting their ballots so we can look at it in 9 months.
03-18-2018 11:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Where will Alex Lomax play his freshman season?
Memphis
03-19-2018 12:39 AM
AirRaid Offline
1st String

I Root For: H-TownTakeover
hopefully memphis. Just so I can see shockerfever's tears rolling down his cheeks
03-19-2018 01:00 AM
tigerjamesc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: more wins
If he goes to prep school, is he still a freshman at Memphis the following year?
03-19-2018 01:23 AM
AndShock Offline
1st String

(03-19-2018 01:23 AM)tigerjamesc Wrote:  If he goes to prep school, is he still a freshman at Memphis the following year?

Yes.
03-19-2018 01:28 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
i think he goes to memphis...if it was tyler harris that had signed with wichita, i think he'd stay with wichita, penny wasn't his coach...but lomax has been with penny forever, high school and aau..

he was laughing at some of the penny memphis jokes in their title post game presser..

i think he will do prep school for a year if wichita wont let him out...and everyone in this picture will come in together next year..
[Image: DYhKCNaVoAE9K7K.jpg]
(along with the pitt transfer)

they just won 3 consecutive state titles together. as the best team in the state, while in memphis...now their nba hall of fame player who was their coach is now coaching at the former local powerhouse university, where they all are from, with a chance to be the best team in the nation and revive their city.. with their best friends and a coach they love

thats a narrative i dont see him passing up

i actually want wichita to keep him...memphis already has 2 different star point guards on roster (jamal/martin), they can get 4 star tyler harris .they dont need lomax..but i dont see lomax passing this up..wichita actually needs him, wichita needed him this season
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2018 02:08 AM by pesik.)
03-19-2018 02:05 AM
Advertisement

MemphisTigerFreak Offline
Fear God, Not Man

(03-19-2018 02:05 AM)pesik Wrote:  i think he goes to memphis...if it was tyler harris that had signed with wichita, i think he'd stay with wichita, penny wasn't his coach...but lomax has been with penny forever, high school and aau..

he was laughing at some of the penny memphis jokes in their title post game presser..

i think he will do prep school for a year if wichita wont let him out...and everyone in this picture will come in together next year..
[Image: DYhKCNaVoAE9K7K.jpg]
(along with the pitt transfer)

they just won 3 consecutive state titles together. as the best team in the state, while in memphis...now their nba hall of fame player who was their coach is now coaching at the former local powerhouse university, where they all are from, with a chance to be the best team in the nation and revive their city.. with their best friends and a coach they love

thats a narrative i dont see him passing up

i actually want wichita to keep him...memphis already has 2 different star point guards on roster (jamal/martin), they can get 4 star tyler harris .they dont need lomax..but i dont see lomax passing this up..wichita actually needs him, wichita needed him this season

Sometimes I wonder if you're a Memphis fan in disguise...
03-19-2018 05:02 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
Mommy (Marshall) and Daddy (Penny) in a nasty divorce will force Little Al to choose his Great Aunt Thelma (Ole Miss).
03-19-2018 06:21 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I'd wager on the side he'll eventually be a Tiger. How he gets there, since I'm sure Marshall will be 'hesitant' to release him to an in conference foe, is another question.
03-19-2018 06:28 AM
TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(03-19-2018 06:28 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  I'd wager on the side he'll eventually be a Tiger. How he gets there, since I'm sure Marshall will be 'hesitant' to release him to an in conference foe, is another question.

Lomax has been raised by Penny (and by Lomax's grandmother before and during) since he was in the 6th grade, and lived in Penny's house for years.

That's a bond of a whole 'nother level to just a coach and player.

So I think there is no way Lomax doesn't come back, b/c when he signed with Wichita, he didn't know Penny would become coach.

To your question, I think it has to happen one of two ways. Either Wichita releases him, and he plays for Memphis this fall, or they don't, and he never enrolls at Wichita (I think he has yet to set foot on campus).

He would then go prep for a year, or possibly enroll at Memphis without a scholly, then start playing as a freshman in 2019.

The one tricky part to this poll is that it's possible (I'm not 100% sure of the rule) that Lomax will lose his freshman year of eligibility, so although I think it's a pretty sure bet he returns, he may not play anywhere as a freshman, and will start playing for Memphis as a soph. Again, I'm not really up on that rule. I do know it's possible, though.

As far as the release, if Marshall leaves, then this becomes a non-issue, I would think.

I also think maybe Aresco could step in and block Lomax from transferring from one AAC school to another, after having signed an NLI. But I still think Memphis would eventually prevail in that battle.

Another twist could be that maybe Lomax signed his financial aid papers, but not really the NLI itself. If so, he could walk without needing a release.

I am NOT saying that's the case, b/c Wichita made it clear that he signed his NLI, but I have seen cases before where an NLI signing was announced, and it turned out to be financial aid only, instead, which is NOT binding.

And finally, I suppose there is a slight possibility that the spotlight becomes too intense, and Lomax either goes ahead to Wichita, or goes elsewhere. I just think, due to the unusual relationship between Lomax and Penny, that will prevail in the end.

So, having said all that, I voted Lomax to Memphis, lol.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2018 07:20 AM by TripleA.)
03-19-2018 07:12 AM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

East starts 5 division 1 players:

Wiseman 6'11 - either Memphis or Kentucky
Dandridge 6'9 - probably play for PH at Memphis
Chandler Lawson 6'8 - Memphis
Boyce 6'5 - signed w/ UAB
Lomax 5'11 - Wichita (for now)

That's the biggest & probably most talented HS team I have ever seen.
03-19-2018 07:18 AM
Advertisement

TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
So far, it simply looks like a Memphis fans vs. Wichita fans vote, more or less.
03-19-2018 07:21 AM
Wheatshock Offline
Aviation Addict

I Root For: Wichita
(03-19-2018 07:12 AM)TripleA Wrote:  
(03-19-2018 06:28 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  I'd wager on the side he'll eventually be a Tiger. How he gets there, since I'm sure Marshall will be 'hesitant' to release him to an in conference foe, is another question.

As far as the release, if Marshall leaves, then this becomes a non-issue, I would think.

I also think maybe Aresco could step in and block Lomax from transferring from one AAC school to another, after having signed an NLI. But I still think Memphis would eventually prevail in that battle.

Another twist could be that maybe Lomax signed his financial aid papers, but not really the NLI itself. If so, he could walk without needing a release.

I am NOT saying that's the case, b/c Wichita made it clear that he signed his NLI, but I have seen cases before where an NLI signing was announced, and it turned out to be financial aid only, instead, which is NOT binding.

And finally, I suppose there is a slight possibility that the spotlight becomes too intense, and Lomax either goes ahead to Wichita, or goes elsewhere. I just think, due to the unusual relationship between Lomax and Penny, that will prevail in the end.

So, having said all that, I voted Lomax to Memphis, lol.

If Marshall were to leave he would get his release if he asked for it. I think its highly unlikely that Marshall leaves though.

I suppose the conference could block a transfer and while i'm not sure about AAC rules on the subject most conferences have something in place to at least limit that sort of thing. That didn't stop McMurray from moving to SMU from USF though I don't know details of that situation.

I voted for Lomax to stay with WSU and that's what i'm sticking with until something more than rumors comes out.

I do understand the reasoning of Memphis fans as to why he would come to Memphis but let me give you one more thing to consider. I can guarantee that Marshall and his staff have been in frequent contact with Lomax both before the 'Penny for Tubby' rumors started and especially since then, i'm sure they know what Alex is thinking. WSU hasn't extended any new offers to other PGs or been tied to another PG recently. Take that for what its worth but I would thing that we would've heard something recruiting wise about WSU if Lomax has indicated to Marshall that he might not be coming.
03-19-2018 08:25 AM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
He'll be at Prep School next year. He will ask out. Marshall will fight it.
03-19-2018 08:27 AM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
Im not quite sure why this got moved to the smack forum. The discussion in this thread is more than civil
03-19-2018 09:03 AM
Wheatshock Offline
Aviation Addict

(03-19-2018 09:03 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  Im not quite sure why this got moved to the smack forum. The discussion in this thread is more than civil

My guess is that it got moved because its the 50th thread we've had on the subject and Pony is tired of it all. Its time for new leadership.

#WheatshockForBenevolentDespot
03-19-2018 09:14 AM
Advertisement

TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
I don't get it, either. This is certainly a fascinating topic, at least for Memphis and Wichita fans. And we were all being civil.

Hey Wheatshock, I get your logic about Lomax and Marshall. But this is not a typical situation. Penny helped raise Lomax, and the kid has lived with him for years. It is essentially a father/son relationship, far beyond basketball.

When Lomax signed with you guys, he and Penny had no clue Penny would be the HC at Memphis, especially any time soon. But Penny will be announced tomorrow. If the guy who raised you, and literally had the biggest impact on your life, became a HC in your hometown, what would you do, lol?

There are always ways to get out of NLIs, even if it takes a year, and then Lomax would have his entire college career to play for Penny.

IMO, it's not a matter of opinion what Lomax will do. It's just a matter of time. Never say never, but this is as close to being certain as anything can be.

I actually don't like the idea of getting wrapped around the axle with a conference mate, but in this case, it seems inevitable.
03-19-2018 10:08 AM
Stickboy46 Offline
Heisman

(03-19-2018 10:08 AM)TripleA Wrote:  I don't get it, either. This is certainly a fascinating topic, at least for Memphis and Wichita fans. And we were all being civil.

Hey Wheatshock, I get your logic about Lomax and Marshall. But this is not a typical situation. Penny helped raise Lomax, and the kid has lived with him for years. It is essentially a father/son relationship, far beyond basketball.

When Lomax signed with you guys, he and Penny had no clue Penny would be the HC at Memphis, especially any time soon. But Penny will be announced tomorrow. If the guy who raised you, and literally had the biggest impact on your life, became a HC in your hometown, what would you do, lol?

There are always ways to get out of NLIs, even if it takes a year, and then Lomax would have his entire college career to play for Penny.

IMO, it's not a matter of opinion what Lomax will do. It's just a matter of time. Never say never, but this is as close to being certain as anything can be.

I actually don't like the idea of getting wrapped around the axle with a conference mate, but in this case, it seems inevitable.

While I'm not going to argue anything you said isn't true. There is a lot that can be learned by having a different "teacher" than the one you've had all your life. The same goes with Grad/Undergrad school. I've always heard to not get your Grad at the same school as your undergrad as it's often taught by the same teachers. You learn more with new perspective.
03-19-2018 10:16 AM
Wheatshock Offline
Aviation Addict

(03-19-2018 10:08 AM)TripleA Wrote:  I don't get it, either. This is certainly a fascinating topic, at least for Memphis and Wichita fans. And we were all being civil.

I also understand your logic on the situation.

We should know more over the next couple of weeks and if I start seeing WSU involved with 2018 PGs this week i'll take it as a sign that Marshall knows that Lomax plans to stay home. We just haven't seen anything on that front which leads me to believe that Marshall still expects him to show up at this point and I can't imagine that he and whichever assistant was the primary recruiter aren't talking to Alex.
03-19-2018 10:37 AM
ShockerFever Offline
Heisman

(03-19-2018 01:00 AM)AirRaid Wrote:  hopefully memphis. Just so I can see shockerfever's tears rolling down his cheeks

You are one butthurt little fella.

Michigan FTW. Boom.
03-19-2018 11:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.