ACC... 3.4M... ESPN
B12... 2.9M... ESPN
SEC... 2.6M... ESPN
AAC... 2.1M... CBS
MW.... 1.6M... CBS
BE..... 1.5M... Fox
A10... 1.4M... CBS
P12... 612K... FS1

Previous weekend the B10 drew 3.2M on CBS for their championship game.

I'd say Aresco has some interesting viewer #'s for football and basketball when he goes for the new AAC deal.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/sk...-2018.html

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2018 02:38 PM by Topkat.)
03-13-2018 02:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Racinejake Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
RE: TV Ratings for Conf Championship Games
Pac 12......woof

03-13-2018 02:53 PM
BigDawg Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
(03-13-2018 02:34 PM)Topkat Wrote:  ACC... 3.4M... ESPN
B12... 2.9M... ESPN
SEC... 2.6M... ESPN
AAC... 2.1M... CBS
MW.... 1.6M... CBS
BE..... 1.5M... Fox
A10... 1.4M... CBS
P12... 612K... FS1

I'd say Aresco has some interesting viewer #'s for football and basketball when he goes for the new AAC deal.

AAC had as many viewers as the Big East and Pac 12 combined.

03-13-2018 02:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UCbball21 Offline
All American

(03-13-2018 02:34 PM)Topkat Wrote:  ACC... 3.4M... ESPN
B12... 2.9M... ESPN
SEC... 2.6M... ESPN
AAC... 2.1M... CBS
MW.... 1.6M... CBS
BE..... 1.5M... Fox
A10... 1.4M... CBS
P12... 612K... FS1

Impressive numbers from the AAC. FOX has to be reeling from that sweetheart television deal they gave to the Big East. Even the MWC had better ratings...

I'd really like to see an in-depth analysis on both AAC football and basketball television ratings compared to the other conferences. Hopefully the networks bidding results in the AAC getting fair market value on the next TV contract (or maybe even a sweetheart deal 03-cloud9).

I'd also like to see this analysis broken down by team as well so we can understand where Cincinnati falls in terms of draw against the other AAC schools for potential conference realignment.

I consider doing it in Google Sheets and visualizations in Data Studio if I knew where to access all of that data, Statista maybe?

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2018 03:00 PM by UCbball21.)
03-13-2018 02:59 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
I watched at Madtree and it was really impressive how many people were glued to the TVs during the UC Houston game. Sounded like a BW3 in there.

03-13-2018 03:07 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
As I posted in the other thread, the PAC 12 is a dumpster fire right now. Horrible ratings, 1-8 in their bowl games, only two at large teams in the NCAAT and they are in the First Four/Play-In game.

Advertisement

Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Fox made some horrendous deals. The PAC 12 is in major
Trouble when the next round of TV deals roll around IMO. They have big markets but nobody in those markets have any interest in college sports.

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2018 03:41 PM by Marcus.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UCbball21 Offline
All American

(03-13-2018 03:07 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  As I posted in the other thread, the PAC 12 is a dumpster fire right now. Horrible ratings, 1-8 in their bowl games, only two at large teams in the NCAAT and they are in the First Four/Play-In game.

Don't forget about Arizona (#4 seed), they are a FF contender...but yeah, the PAC-12 is still a dumpster fire.

03-13-2018 03:11 PM
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
Interesting numbers. Looking at it objectively, does the fact that our game was played in Sunday afternoon CBS network right before the selection show have an impact on this? Vs the PAC12 and BE playing on FS1 on Saturday night?

At least for a basic spectrum cable package in Cincy, FS1 isn't even offered.

Also, I wonder how much better these numbers would have been with WSU in the finals instead if Houston? Or even an improved UCONN program?

03-13-2018 03:18 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(03-13-2018 03:18 PM)jarr Wrote:  Interesting numbers. Looking at it objectively, does the fact that our game was played in Sunday afternoon CBS network right before the selection show have an impact on this? Vs the PAC12 and BE playing on FS1 on Saturday night?

Also, I wonder how much better these numbers would have been with WSU in the finals instead if Houston? Or even an improved UCONN program?

Interesting; although the Houston TV market would certainly be top ten, though WSU has the more rabid fans.

No wonder Aresco was smiling so much during the AAC Tourney. He's got a lot of data to back the P6 rhetoric when it comes to viewership and fan interest.

03-13-2018 03:39 PM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
(03-13-2018 03:18 PM)jarr Wrote:  Interesting numbers. Looking at it objectively, does the fact that our game was played in Sunday afternoon CBS network right before the selection show have an impact on this? Vs the PAC12 and BE playing on FS1 on Saturday night?

The Big East final was on Fox National...not FS1.

03-13-2018 03:48 PM
Advertisement

Topkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: TheCats
The biggest surprise for me was that the MW final (CBS over the air) went up against the Big East final (Fox over the air) in the same Saturday time slot, outdrew the Big East by about 100K viewers.

03-13-2018 03:56 PM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

We also got kind of screwed with Tiger Woods in contention Sunday. The PGA tournament put up better numbers than all the majors except the Masters.

03-13-2018 05:45 PM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy

Do not forget, just one week earlier, we put up over a million viewers, 1.4 rating 1.83 million viewers on cbs in our one oclock game with Wichita State. We have some solid numbers to kick around.

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2018 06:42 PM by rosewater.)
03-13-2018 06:18 PM
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs
(03-13-2018 03:07 PM)Marcus Wrote:  Fox made some horrendous deals. The PAC 12 is in major
Trouble when the next round of TV deals roll around IMO. They have big markets but nobody in those markets have any interest in college sports.

I live in the only Pac 12 market, Portland, that's among the top 25 major cities in viewership in college football or basketball (from the numbers that I found), and that's 25th in college football. There is definitely lots of Ducks and Beavers coverage in town, but the only reason that Portland even scratches the top 25 is because of transplants from the Midwest and East Coast. The Big Ten bars are jammed on Saturdays, and that viewership is likely reflected in homes as well. If you go to a Big Ten market (or even Cincinnati, at least in basketball), fans are watching teams from their conference or geographic area. Aresco has to parlay this into a favorable contract next go 'round.

03-14-2018 12:07 AM
FenderCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC, Hillsdale
(03-13-2018 05:45 PM)RealDeal Wrote:  We also got kind of screwed with Tiger Woods in contention Sunday. The PGA tournament put up better numbers than all the majors except the Masters.

Yep. The attention was huge both in attendance and tv. I know I was flipping during commercials (anecdotal I know).

03-14-2018 06:56 AM
Advertisement

bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Also, Eggs has been advertising during UC games. They even know what the viewers are watching.

03-14-2018 07:21 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

(03-14-2018 12:07 AM)geef Wrote:  
(03-13-2018 03:07 PM)Marcus Wrote:  Fox made some horrendous deals. The PAC 12 is in major

I live in the only Pac 12 market, Portland, that's among the top 25 major cities in viewership in college football or basketball (from the numbers that I found), and that's 25th in college football. There is definitely lots of Ducks and Beavers coverage in town, but the only reason that Portland even scratches the top 25 is because of transplants from the Midwest and East Coast. The Big Ten bars are jammed on Saturdays, and that viewership is likely reflected in homes as well. If you go to a Big Ten market (or even Cincinnati, at least in basketball), fans are watching teams from their conference or geographic area. Aresco has to parlay this into a favorable contract next go 'round.

Same thing here in San Diego. All the sports fans root for Midwestern/Northeastern teams. I see almost as many Cal Poly t-shirts as USC or UCLA.

03-14-2018 06:44 PM
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
Just curious, but what is behind the lack of interest in college sports on the west coast, NorthEast, Miami area, and Chicago area? Is it the transient nature of these cities/areas? Probably also a cultural nature. When I think of a college sports tailgate, I think SEC/Big10/Big12. I think these type of fans have a much deeper passion for their teams, where the coastal people just don't give a.sh*t, and if they are gonna watch sports would rather watch the Lakers or Yankees.

03-15-2018 10:19 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(03-15-2018 10:19 AM)jarr Wrote:  Just curious, but what is behind the lack of interest in college sports on the west coast, NorthEast, Miami area, and Chicago area? Is it the transient nature of these cities/areas? Probably also a cultural nature. When I think of a college sports tailgate, I think SEC/Big10/Big12. I think these type of fans have a much deeper passion for their teams, where the coastal people just don't give a.sh*t, and if they are gonna watch sports would rather watch the Lakers or Yankees.

College sports in general are not as popular in the large metro areas. There is just so much else going on to compete with people's attention and disposable income. With LA and Miami, you have to throw in the nice weather to boot-- not very conducive to sitting on your butt watching a football or basketball game at the house.

03-15-2018 10:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.