Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Best Visitor Experience
Bookmark and Share
APPdiesel Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
Best Visitor Experience
Message boards are too often negative, so why not try an experiment...

At which opposing team's stadium (Sunbelt or otherwise) have you had your best fan experience?

Can be based on many factors: fan interaction, facilities, area infrastructure (roads, parking, etc), or anything else you can think of.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2018 11:32 AM by APPdiesel.)
03-08-2018 11:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

_x_ Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
RE: Best Visitor Experience
As far as opposing sun belt venues I've only been to two.

Football:
I had a positive experience at Cajun Field and Lafayette. Tailgating was solid and the people were very friendly. We received multiple "welcome to Cajun Field"'s from the Cajun fans. I liked Lafayette too. Ate before the game at ol tyme grocery and the poboy was solid. Got hammered after the game and from what I recall the bar scene wasn't bad.

Basketball:
Went to the TXST/UTA game at the college Park center last month. Pregamed at J Gilligan's down the street which is a cool old bar in Arlington. Not that the arena wasn't nice but I was expecting more based on what I had heard about it and how new it is. Location of the arena is great, walking distance to multiple bars in downtown Arlington. UTA fans were friendly here as well as in Lafayette. I point that out as I've had some negative experiences elsewhere.

Haven't been to an opposing sun belt baseball venue yet
03-08-2018 11:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
I’ve only been to App’s stadium and the Ga Dome for the GS vs GAST game, so it’s not fair for me to assess those, but outside of the SBC, Auburn was hands down my favorite venue I’ve visited. We were invited to a tailgate by the Bo Jackson Statue right next to JHS. All the Auburn fans we were with surprisingly knew a lot about Georgia Southern mostly from watching us play UF and UGA. Even after we got pummeled, they said that just meant Auburn was in for a big year. I had a great time there.
03-08-2018 11:45 AM
jag313 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: South Alabama
Have made road trips to 4 cities in the Sun Belt.

1. Cajun Field: By far the most hospitable fans in the Sun Belt. Tailgating, we were invited in and given food/drink, etc. This a "must" road trip for us every two years. The stadium is showing a little older but enclosing the end zone helped the overall appearance.

2. Troy: I can't be too nice to these guys b/c of obvious reasons. The campus is small but nice and well kept. The stadium has always been good for Sun Belt standards but after the renovation it should be no less than top 2 in the conference. Never really interacted much with Troy fans during tailgating, etc.

3. Ark State: Stadium was nice. Atmosphere inside the stadium was kind of dead but was told it was the opening weekend of deer season. Best thing about Jonesboro is the local businesses truly embrace ASU. Red Wolves painted on multiple business windows.

4. Ga Dome/Turner Field: I've been to both. I though Ga Dome was obviously much too big for GSU but I think GSU could have stayed there many more years and been fine. Turner field has more of a "this is our home" feel. Felt like they were still working out some kinks with transition from Braves to GSU. The infrastructure is in place to be a nice stadium. Once again, a little too big the get true home field advantage. Obviously, downtown Atl has all the advantages of a big city.
03-08-2018 01:04 PM
HighCountry Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: APP STATE
******* students, ****** town, stupid scoreboard, gnats and heat aside, games at Paulson are solid.
03-08-2018 01:37 PM
CajunAmos Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cajuns
(03-08-2018 01:04 PM)jag313 Wrote:  Have made road trips to 4 cities in the Sun Belt.

1. Cajun Field: By far the most hospitable fans in the Sun Belt. Tailgating, we were invited in and given food/drink, etc. This a "must" road trip for us every two years. The stadium is showing a little older but enclosing the end zone helped the overall appearance.

2. Troy: I can't be too nice to these guys b/c of obvious reasons. The campus is small but nice and well kept. The stadium has always been good for Sun Belt standards but after the renovation it should be no less than top 2 in the conference. Never really interacted much with Troy fans during tailgating, etc.

3. Ark State: Stadium was nice. Atmosphere inside the stadium was kind of dead but was told it was the opening weekend of deer season. Best thing about Jonesboro is the local businesses truly embrace ASU. Red Wolves painted on multiple business windows.

4. Ga Dome/Turner Field: I've been to both. I though Ga Dome was obviously much too big for GSU but I think GSU could have stayed there many more years and been fine. Turner field has more of a "this is our home" feel. Felt like they were still working out some kinks with transition from Braves to GSU. The infrastructure is in place to be a nice stadium. Once again, a little too big the get true home field advantage. Obviously, downtown Atl has all the advantages of a big city.

Are you coming for the baseball series this weekend?
03-08-2018 02:06 PM
Advertisement

jag313 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: South Alabama
(03-08-2018 02:06 PM)CajunAmos Wrote:  
(03-08-2018 01:04 PM)jag313 Wrote:  Have made road trips to 4 cities in the Sun Belt.

Not this weekend. I had to make a choice btw this weekend and the conf tournament. Right now, plan is to be in town the Wed-Sun (fingers crossed) for the tournament.
03-08-2018 02:16 PM
CajunAmos Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cajuns
(03-08-2018 02:16 PM)jag313 Wrote:  
(03-08-2018 02:06 PM)CajunAmos Wrote:  

Not this weekend. I had to make a choice btw this weekend and the conf tournament. Right now, plan is to be in town the Wed-Sun (fingers crossed) for the tournament.

Some new restaurants around town as well. Before the tournament, I may try to put together a goto list for the area for visitors.
03-08-2018 02:47 PM
Astate34 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: stAte
Back when i played the most fun place i ever went was Georgia Southern. Granted it was baseball so there wasn't a huge tailgate or anything, but the players were nice and so were the fans from what I could tell. Also the stadium was very nice.
03-08-2018 03:46 PM
SBEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
Best Visitor Experience
Sunbelt-Troy
All others- Alabama

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03-08-2018 03:54 PM
sdcritter Offline
All American

Best - Oklahoma football.
Worst - Tie, Ole Miss and Memphis State
03-08-2018 04:11 PM
Advertisement

Cajun_lannister Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Louisiana
(03-08-2018 04:11 PM)sdcritter Wrote:  Best - Oklahoma football.

Texas A&M fans were extremely nice and welcoming college station is a decent college town B+

Kentucky fans by far the best fans ( during football season) and Lexington is a blast A+

Mississippi State - Starkville is a decent but their fans think they are a blue blood program, not a P5 bottom feeder C

Ole Miss - Fans are A hats same with State they think they are a blue blood Oxford is tiny but fun C+

Texas Stat - went during homecoming tons of students out tailgating until game time then all went home lol... however, the guy in the stadium kept selling me 16 oz shiner for $1 .. San Marcus was a good time cheap and had a good selection of bars wish I could have tubbed down the river B+

South Al - Stadium is sketchy drove back to NOLA after the game so did not explore the city D

ULM - Not much to do in Monroe was 1 of 30 people in the stands D

LSU- Baton Rouge sucks fans even more F-

La Tech - LOL F

Ark state - Fans were nice and welcoming B... However being a dry county brings them down to an F
03-08-2018 05:02 PM
sdcritter Offline
All American

Wettest “dry” town I ever lived in. Not hard to find a drink there if you’re really looking. But they really should do away with that archaic law. It’s hypocritical.
03-08-2018 06:47 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Georgia Tech - Surprisingly good game day atmosphere for a middling ACC program. Nice stadium.
App State - Nice atmosphere, backdrop, town, area around the stadium, just would like win more there.
Troy - Went there near the end of 2015, and was fairly alive for a place having a down year, would like to go again before long.
Alabama - Nice visitor seats, fans were great and wanted to know about our program
03-08-2018 06:54 PM
debragga Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM
(03-08-2018 05:02 PM)Cajun_lannister Wrote:  
(03-08-2018 04:11 PM)sdcritter Wrote:  Best - Oklahoma football.

Texas A&M fans were extremely nice and welcoming college station is a decent college town B+

Kentucky fans by far the best fans ( during football season) and Lexington is a blast A+

Mississippi State - Starkville is a decent but their fans think they are a blue blood program, not a P5 bottom feeder C

Ole Miss - Fans are A hats same with State they think they are a blue blood Oxford is tiny but fun C+

Texas Stat - went during homecoming tons of students out tailgating until game time then all went home lol... however, the guy in the stadium kept selling me 16 oz shiner for $1 .. San Marcus was a good time cheap and had a good selection of bars wish I could have tubbed down the river B+

South Al - Stadium is sketchy drove back to NOLA after the game so did not explore the city D

ULM - Not much to do in Monroe was 1 of 30 people in the stands D

LSU- Baton Rouge sucks fans even more F-

La Tech - LOL F

Ark state - Fans were nice and welcoming B... However being a dry county brings them down to an F

Sounds about right for ULM, I’ve heard the tailgating’s good though
03-08-2018 07:29 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

(03-08-2018 06:54 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Georgia Tech - Surprisingly good game day atmosphere for a middling ACC program. Nice stadium.
App State - Nice atmosphere, backdrop, town, area around the stadium, just would like win more there.
Troy - Went there near the end of 2015, and was fairly alive for a place having a down year, would like to go again before long.
Alabama - Nice visitor seats, fans were great and wanted to know about our program

I also enjoyed GT. Although I enjoyed it more in 2014 than the return in 2016.
03-08-2018 08:01 PM
Advertisement

High Country Student Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App. State
I've watched games at 12 fbs schools not including App. Here are my rankings:

1. Florida
2. Alabama
3. South Carolina
4. Georgia
5. ECU
6. Tennessee
7. NC State
8. Virginia Tech
9. Michigan
10. Georgia Southern
11. UNC
12. Duke
03-08-2018 09:09 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

1. Auburn
2. GT
3. South Carolina
4. Ole Miss
5. Florida
6. GAST - GA Dome
7. Georgia
8. App State
03-08-2018 09:41 PM
High Country Student Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App. State
(03-08-2018 09:41 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  1. Auburn
2. GT
3. South Carolina
4. Ole Miss
5. Florida
6. GAST - GA Dome
7. Georgia
8. App State

Just curious, this isn't ripping your list because everyone is entitled to their own opinion but what put Ga State ahead of UGA and App. Is that purely a rivalry decision or did you have a bad experience?
03-09-2018 12:02 AM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

(03-09-2018 12:02 AM)High Country Student Wrote:  
(03-08-2018 09:41 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  1. Auburn
2. GT
3. South Carolina
4. Ole Miss
5. Florida
6. GAST - GA Dome
7. Georgia
8. App State

Just curious, this isn't ripping your list because everyone is entitled to their own opinion but what put Ga State ahead of UGA and App. Is that purely a rivalry decision or did you have a bad experience?

I was with the band the year we played our fight song to march off your field at halftime and then got blanketed by trash being thrown at us by the student section. However, in Athens I saw a grown man pour his drink all over a 13 year old girl because she said “Sou-thern” instead of “Bull-dawgs” when he screamed “Georgia” at her. He got arrested and I hope he got charged with battery. I couldn’t decide which one to put at the bottom, but at least we took UGA to OT that day so I went with that.

Georgia State was ahead by both because I could buy cheap beer from the concession stand and we won that game, but you could tell from the very beginning of this football match up that both sides hated each other and we were not welcome there. I would have put GAST above UF because UF fans were grade A ***holes but seeing the smug wiped off their faces while leaving the stadium was sweeter than any dessert I’ve ever had.
03-09-2018 01:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.