Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: WKU Regents recommend to cut 1.3 million from athletic budget
Bookmark and Share
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas State
OT: WKU Regents recommend to cut 1.3 million from athletic budget
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2018 08:55 PM by RamblinRedWolf.)
02-25-2018 08:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
RE: OT: WKU Regents recommend to cut 1.3 million from athletic budget
Guess they overestimated how much their marketz were worth in their TV deal.
02-25-2018 09:24 PM
AlwaysSunny Offline
1st String

I Root For: NCAA
(02-25-2018 09:24 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Guess they overestimated how much their marketz were worth in their TV deal.

If that's what you get out of this.. then, well nvm. There will be many more G5 schools that cut budgets when their students start rebelling against funding athletics with out of proportion athletics fees.
02-25-2018 10:25 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-25-2018 10:25 PM)AlwaysSunny Wrote:  
(02-25-2018 09:24 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Guess they overestimated how much their marketz were worth in their TV deal.

If that's what you get out of this.. then, well nvm. There will be many more G5 schools that cut budgets when their students start rebelling against funding athletics with out of proportion athletics fees.

When students are going to pay mid four figures a semester to attend classes, they aren't going to revolt over $200 in athletic fees.
02-25-2018 10:39 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY

I don't think CUSA schools were prepared for these scenarios during the last realignment. I feel like some AD's got tunnel vision, saw the TV contract CUSA had, and chased after it.

What's interesting is that CUSA is playing more P5 away games in 2018 per team than the Sun Belt. Only ULM and ULL have more than one P5 away game in 2018. In CUSA, you have WKU, La Tech, UTSA, Rice, and MT all playing two or more P5 money games. MT alone plays @Georgia, @Kentucky, and @Vanderbilt.

Looks like the financial issues in CUSA are taking some former SBC schools back to the days of playing 2 to 3 payday games just to keep the athletic department running.
02-25-2018 11:21 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(02-25-2018 11:21 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  

I don't think CUSA schools were prepared for these scenarios during the last realignment. I feel like some AD's got tunnel vision, saw the TV contract CUSA had, and chased after it.

What's interesting is that CUSA is playing more P5 away games in 2018 per team than the Sun Belt. Only ULM and ULL have more than one P5 away game in 2018. In CUSA, you have WKU, La Tech, UTSA, Rice, and MT all playing two or more P5 money games. MT alone plays @Georgia, @Kentucky, and @Vanderbilt.

Looks like the financial issues in CUSA are taking some former SBC schools back to the days of playing 2 to 3 payday games just to keep the athletic department running.

Not sure on Kentucky, but Vandy is part of a 4 year home and home deal with middle.
02-26-2018 12:47 AM
Advertisement

OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
(02-25-2018 11:21 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  Looks like the financial issues in CUSA are taking some former SBC schools back to the days of playing 2 to 3 payday games just to keep the athletic department running.

Well ain't that a shame.
02-26-2018 04:58 AM
Seminowl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FSU & FAU
(02-25-2018 10:39 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  

When students are going to pay mid four figures a semester to attend classes, they aren't going to revolt over $200 in athletic fees.
Wrong. The students are fed up with any raise in tuition & fees. Every dime is being bled out of our pockets and this upcoming generation will be less likely to incur huge amounts of debt for a 4 year degree.
02-26-2018 06:35 AM
Florida RedWolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: arkansas state
(02-26-2018 06:35 AM)Seminowl Wrote:  

Wrong. The students are fed up with any raise in tuition & fees. Every dime is being bled out of our pockets and this upcoming generation will be less likely to incur huge amounts of debt for a 4 year degree.

I promise that we will hear much more in regards to student fees in our athletic budgets. The good news is that individual and corporate contributions will have no limits placed on them so fans can continue to get the type of performance they want and deserve.
02-26-2018 06:56 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
I bet student fee revenue is higher than 2014 and tv revenue is down by more than 50% so this decrease is directly a result of a loss in a revenue stream...
02-26-2018 07:23 AM
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
sounds like the university as a whole is major debt and they are making cuts where ever they can. I don't know how much WKU contributes to the athletic program through the general fund, but I'm sure 1.3M is huge chunk of that. The student fees are fixed and would require some sort of vote or something to change where that money is allocated.

Some students will complain about the fees, depending on how high they are you could see some serious talks about eliminating or reducing them. GS's aren't too high overall, but it adds up after 4 years. Has WKU always had such a low budget? At 23M it is just lower than I thought based on their performance. Good ROI.

Realignment maybe coming due to GOR ending in the Big12, but also due to economic factors. A major correction and/or minor recession could force schools to realign to drastically reduce costs.

Good luck to everyone.
02-26-2018 07:51 AM
Advertisement

CajunAmos Offline
All American

I Root For: Cajuns
UL and ULM have no student fees dedicated for athletics.
02-26-2018 08:28 AM
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas State
Always bear in mind UNT students recently (with some controversy) voted to approve a raise in student athletic fees

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/mean-gree...e-increase
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2018 08:57 AM by RamblinRedWolf.)
02-26-2018 08:57 AM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen

Maybe for Georgia Southern where athletic fees are around $200. We have pretty low athletic fees compared to most and our budget is still 60% subsidized. Some schools charge upwards of $1,000 a semester for athletics.

Take JMU for example. Their athletic budget is over 80% subsidized by student fees, yet they outspend every FCS school and almost every G5 school. They spend what USF currently spends in the AAC except JMU is spending that to what? Play Elon and Stony Brook? The only reason their students haven't revolted is because their tuition is lower than the other schools in Virginia, so the students feel like all together, they are spending less than they would if they went to ODU or VCU.

The writing is on the wall. TV revenue is down and travel costs are up. Students will not pay the difference. Realignment based on reducing costs and maximizing regional exposure isn't only smart, it's inevitable.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2018 09:09 AM by TrueBlueDrew.)
02-26-2018 09:07 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-26-2018 09:07 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  Maybe for Georgia Southern where athletic fees are around $200. We have pretty low athletic fees compared to most and our budget is still 60% subsidized. Some schools charge upwards of $1,000 a semester for athletics.

Take JMU for example. Their athletic budget is over 80% subsidized by student fees, yet they outspend every FCS school and almost every G5 school. They spend what USF currently spends in the AAC except JMU is spending that to what? Play Elon and Stony Brook? The only reason their students haven't revolted is because their tuition is lower than the other schools in Virginia, so the students feel like all together, they are spending less than they would if they went to ODU or VCU.

I can't find WKU's athletic fees posted anywhere, but according to USA today, the student fee subsidy is $4.1 million. Divide that by their 17.5k students and you get $235.

Even if all of that were cut I think students would be insulted if administrators acted like they were doing students a huge favor by cutting that much from their bills.

(02-26-2018 09:07 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  The writing is on the wall. TV revenue is down and travel costs are up. Students will not pay the difference. Realignment based on reducing costs and maximizing regional exposure isn't only smart, it's inevitable.

This is a CUSA problem, not a G5 problem. The MAC has already got a bigger contract, and the AAC is supposed to get more on the next renewal.
02-26-2018 09:31 AM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(02-26-2018 08:57 AM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  Always bear in mind UNT students recently (with some controversy) voted to approve a raise in student athletic fees

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/mean-gree...e-increase

. . . and UTSA just voted not to . . .
02-26-2018 10:37 AM
Advertisement

CajunAmos Offline
All American

I Root For: Cajuns
(02-26-2018 09:31 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  
(02-26-2018 09:07 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  Maybe for Georgia Southern where athletic fees are around $200. We have pretty low athletic fees compared to most and our budget is still 60% subsidized. Some schools charge upwards of $1,000 a semester for athletics.

I can't find WKU's athletic fees posted anywhere, but according to USA today, the student fee subsidy is $4.1 million. Divide that by their 17.5k students and you get $235.

Even if all of that were cut I think students would be insulted if administrators acted like they were doing students a huge favor by cutting that much from their bills.

(02-26-2018 09:07 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  The writing is on the wall. TV revenue is down and travel costs are up. Students will not pay the difference. Realignment based on reducing costs and maximizing regional exposure isn't only smart, it's inevitable.

This is a CUSA problem, not a G5 problem. The MAC has already got a bigger contract, and the AAC is supposed to get more on the next renewal.

Looks like you are correct on the student fees of $4.1M, but the university subsidy is $12.8M.
02-26-2018 10:41 AM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

the issue with the cost of going to school isn't the athletic fees, it has more to do with the continually rising amount of money spend on administration in universities. The amount of money spent on administrative personnel compared to what it was 25 years ago is unreal.
02-26-2018 10:48 AM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(02-26-2018 10:48 AM)NCeagle Wrote:  the issue with the cost of going to school isn't the athletic fees, it has more to do with the continually rising amount of money spend on administration in universities. The amount of money spent on administrative personnel compared to what it was 25 years ago is unreal.

That's what prompted the Georgia BOR to start merging universties. If students really want something to raise hell about, it should be the price of textbooks and the monopoly that is Pearson Education.
02-26-2018 10:54 AM
Florida RedWolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: arkansas state
Two questions: What would happen if the parents(those likely paying the bills) voted rather than the students? Since some student loans are being forgiven now and more likely to be forgiven, shouldn't students vote for increases?
02-26-2018 10:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.