UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

High time we get play by play for Women's Basketball and Baseball
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
High time we get play by play for Women's Basketball and Baseball
I applaud JSU for making a commitment to broadcast all their baseball games live. My friend Mike Paris AKA The Voice does an excellent job.

If you want to increase attendance get the games up on the web so we can follow them. At the very least let some students do the broadcast.

If JSU can pull it off why can't UAB?

Just my random thought for the day.
02-23-2018 11:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UABslant Offline

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: High time we get play by play for Women's Basketball and Baseball
I've watched several women's games on CUSAtv this season and it had play-by-play from UAB folks.
02-23-2018 11:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Would love for it to be on radio where we could at least get an online feed.
02-23-2018 11:52 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

How does hockey get their broadcasts on facebook?
02-23-2018 11:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
I would like for ESPN to end its discrimination against WBB on its "Bottom line" feature. For MBB, they give scores from Top 25 team's games as well as separate lists for regular MBB results. For WBB, they only give the Top 25 team's games -- all others are ignored.
02-23-2018 04:04 PM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
A former Huntsville Stars announcer is available. I saw him out having a beer 2 weeks ago.
02-23-2018 05:50 PM
blazerwkr Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
Don't we still have a UAB radio station or did that go at some point?
02-23-2018 07:06 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
If we air WBB and Baseball games, shouldn't we air soccer and softball too. I mean there is huge demand for all these sports.

It would be a great thing to spend all our surplus income on.
02-23-2018 07:11 PM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

Folding@NCAAbbs
(02-23-2018 07:11 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  If we air WBB and Baseball games, shouldn't we air soccer and softball too. I mean there is huge demand for all these sports.

It would be a great thing to spend all our surplus income on.

Students should intern these positions. We should only broadcast home games from non-revenue sports, but it could be broadcast on UAB's website.

I lined this out and sent it Watson in 2002 or 2003 right after my daughter toured Ga. Tech. Tech had their own student run TV station with 3 channels. Communications Majors work the jobs as part of their class work from the top down, with everyone taking a turn at different sports. Also included in what Ga. Tech was doing was filming lectures for the most popular or most difficult classes, so if you wanted or needed to hear it again, you could tune in at the regular time or at that time, set your VCR. I suppose if you are going to Tech, you can figure out how to set a VCR.

I've rarely run across programs where everybody wins, but for me this was one.

Watson sent me a hand written thank you note for the idea that I've still got somewhere in my UaB memorabilia.
02-23-2018 08:47 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Even if students ran it, there are still costs involved that I don't see UAB willing to spend.

I would just be happy if they spent some money to hire someone to remind whoever is responsible for turning David Crane's mic on when they come out of timeouts on the CUSA-TV feeds.
02-23-2018 09:36 PM
Advertisement

ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

Funny how smaller programs with much smaller budgets can afford it for some reason.

Use students and sell sponsorships like other programs do.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2018 09:43 PM by ATTALLABLAZE.)
02-23-2018 09:40 PM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

Folding@NCAAbbs
Those costs are why it never made it past Watson's desk the first time. That, and someone would have the headache of setting it up.
02-23-2018 10:13 PM
GreenMississippi Online
Heisman

I Root For: UAB / VCU
I see the point that the costs and effort for a broadcast that will be seen by so few people don't make it worth risking the financial solvency for something that already doesn't make money. The money we wish we had is better spent on facilities for the students.

That said, we have an academic communications department. People go to school to learn how to set-up a broadcast and how to do that broadcast live. In the sciences and engineering, my tuition had plenty of extra fees for lab equipment that were for required classes. Maybe if people sign up to pay for a non-required class with those fees, there would still be enough interest in the class that the broadcast can happen. If I were a passionate broadcast major, I'd pay for the experience.
02-24-2018 10:12 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

Programs with much smaller budgets sell sponsorship to pay for it. Some use their communication departments for the broadcast. It’s not rocket surgery.

All it takes is vision. I remember people saying you could not sell UAB football.
02-24-2018 10:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.