Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why do humans seek longevity?
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
Why do humans seek longevity?
At what point in human existence did we decide to modify behavior to extend life?
When did the "old" become important? Flys live a month. 15-20yrs for dogs and cats.
Why don't plants live forever?
02-22-2018 10:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
RE: Why do humans seek longevity?
(02-22-2018 10:05 AM)Dasville Wrote:  At what point in human existence did we decide to modify behavior to extend life?
When did the "old" become important? Flys live a month. 15-20yrs for dogs and cats.

So we can make fun of the tide pod eating younger generation.
02-22-2018 11:42 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(02-22-2018 10:05 AM)Dasville Wrote:  At what point in human existence did we decide to modify behavior to extend life?

Something something something about r and k reproductive fitness. Neanderthals took care of crippled and buried their dead with flowers. Knowledge, wisdom being useful past ones reproductive cycle....deers can walk 30 minutes after being born, humans children live with you until you they are 30.

The answer is in there somewhere.

Reproductive fitness, survival of the species.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2018 10:34 AM by shere khan.)
02-24-2018 10:33 AM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

(02-24-2018 10:33 AM)shere khan Wrote:  

Something something something about r and k reproductive fitness. Neanderthals took care of crippled and buried their dead with flowers. Knowledge, wisdom being useful past ones reproductive cycle....deers can walk 30 minutes after being born, humans children live with you until you they are 30.

Would you agree that changing behavior for the purpose of longevity is a selfish act? I'm speaking on an individual basis and nothing more.

Eating better. Excersising more.reducusing stress .........all that jazz.
02-24-2018 05:38 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(02-24-2018 05:38 PM)Dasville Wrote:  
(02-24-2018 10:33 AM)shere khan Wrote:  

Would you agree that changing behavior for the purpose of longevity is a selfish act? I'm speaking on an individual basis and nothing more.

Eating better. Excersising more.reducusing stress .........all that jazz.

Can you name any act of pure altruism.
02-24-2018 10:16 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC

As soon as we figured out it was possible. It was always important.
02-26-2018 07:59 PM
Advertisement

Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Buffalo

How old are you?
03-03-2018 02:30 AM
Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

(02-24-2018 05:38 PM)Dasville Wrote:  Would you agree that changing behavior for the purpose of longevity is a selfish act? I'm speaking on an individual basis and nothing more.

No more than eating, drinking, or making love to reproduce..
03-03-2018 02:32 AM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

(03-03-2018 02:32 AM)Bull_Is_Back Wrote:  
(02-24-2018 05:38 PM)Dasville Wrote:  Would you agree that changing behavior for the purpose of longevity is a selfish act? I'm speaking on an individual basis and nothing more.

No more than eating, drinking, or making love to reproduce..

So at what point do we decide to stop reproducing? After that, then what?
After we are finished reproducing and raising our youngest child, then what?
We consume and we cost.
Not a darn thing to be taught other than mistakes.
Unless you talk accumulation of wealth.
That truly is the only thing keeping the "old" alive.
Tell me I'm wrong.
03-03-2018 04:13 PM
Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

(03-03-2018 04:13 PM)Dasville Wrote:  So at what point do we decide to stop reproducing? After that, then what?

When sex stops feeling nice or fertility drops off.... whatever comes first.

Quote:After we are finished reproducing and raising our youngest child, then what?

As a species, we are where we are, because at some point in the past "The grandparent" revolution happened. That is to say at some point we had sustained the numbers and life styles that allowed Grandparents to contribute to the raising of children, beyond their own generation.

When my youngest moves out, lets assume 21, my oldest will be in their 30's and lord willing have kids. I plan to dote like heck on them and help my kids by being an active grandfather that will give them and their spouse a night off while I take the kids to the zoo/movie.

Quote:We consume and we cost.

Only if you have no interest at all in others. Many empty-nesters and many elderly people contribute more to the world than a "still have to reproduce millennial"

Quote:Not a darn thing to be taught other than mistakes.

You must have had really crappy grandparents.

Quote:Unless you talk accumulation of wealth.

As the saying goes, you can't take it with you. Any wealth I accumulate in my life will go to someone when I die.

Quote:That truly is the only thing keeping the "old" alive.

You know... My brother married at 20, had four kids, and by the time he was 45 had them all out of the house. He is an active grandfather, a productive worker (caring for the elderly), and ... most of all ... He gets to have wonderful years with his wife who he loves, years where the two of them can enjoy each other.

That's beautiful.

Quote:Tell me I'm wrong.

You're wrong...

How old are you?
03-05-2018 03:36 PM
Lush Online
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
i assumed he was talking about the ponce de leon's of the scientific community
03-06-2018 06:18 PM
Advertisement

Dasville Offline
Heisman

(03-06-2018 06:18 PM)Lush Wrote:  i assumed he was talking about the ponce de leon's of the scientific community

The "How to" is a much different question than the "when?" and "Why?".
03-07-2018 10:50 AM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

(03-05-2018 03:36 PM)Bull_Is_Back Wrote:  
(03-03-2018 04:13 PM)Dasville Wrote:  So at what point do we decide to stop reproducing? After that, then what?

When sex stops feeling nice or fertility drops off.... whatever comes first.

Quote:After we are finished reproducing and raising our youngest child, then what?

As a species, we are where we are, because at some point in the past "The grandparent" revolution happened. That is to say at some point we had sustained the numbers and life styles that allowed Grandparents to contribute to the raising of children, beyond their own generation.

When my youngest moves out, lets assume 21, my oldest will be in their 30's and lord willing have kids. I plan to dote like heck on them and help my kids by being an active grandfather that will give them and their spouse a night off while I take the kids to the zoo/movie.

Quote:We consume and we cost.

Only if you have no interest at all in others. Many empty-nesters and many elderly people contribute more to the world than a "still have to reproduce millennial"

Quote:Not a darn thing to be taught other than mistakes.

You must have had really crappy grandparents.

Quote:Unless you talk accumulation of wealth.

As the saying goes, you can't take it with you. Any wealth I accumulate in my life will go to someone when I die.

Quote:That truly is the only thing keeping the "old" alive.

You know... My brother married at 20, had four kids, and by the time he was 45 had them all out of the house. He is an active grandfather, a productive worker (caring for the elderly), and ... most of all ... He gets to have wonderful years with his wife who he loves, years where the two of them can enjoy each other.

That's beautiful.

Quote:Tell me I'm wrong.

You're wrong...

How old are you?

I would submit to you that "ownership" played a large role in the development of "longevity". Once someone wasn't faster than the next guy when the bear came running he/she had to figure out a way to not get eaten. Once he/she got back to the "tribe", he/she had to "justify" the loss of a younger and stronger member........
Or just keep showing up and have others mimics your behavior.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2018 11:32 AM by Dasville.)
03-07-2018 11:30 AM
Lush Online
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
what's yer exit strategy?
03-08-2018 08:23 PM
Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

(03-07-2018 11:30 AM)Dasville Wrote:  I would submit to you that "ownership" played a large role in the development of "longevity".

Begging the question a bit, aren't we?

I would submit to you that "horse manure" played a large role in the development of "your argument"

Quote:Once someone wasn't faster than the next guy when the bear came running he/she had to figure out a way to not get eaten.

Maybe by convincing the faster guy "hey, we can work together and neither gets eaten.... Maybe I can watch your kids / protect the camp so you can hunt and know your offspring is safe and there will be a warm fire for you when you're done.
03-12-2018 12:06 AM
Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

(03-08-2018 08:23 PM)Lush Wrote:  what's yer exit strategy?

He's never going to own anything and stop eating in his mid 30's when the 15-20 year olds of the world can run from a bear faster than he can...
03-12-2018 12:06 AM
Advertisement

Dasville Offline
Heisman

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-04...fmredir=sm

"Once one is past the stage of middle life, one has paid back to society the debts that have been paid out.

"One should be free to use the rest of his life as one chooses.

"If one chooses to kill oneself then that's fair enough. I don't think anyone else should interfere."

I can’t help but think that AI could help his quality of life. He obviously has his faculties and until recently use of his poseable thumb. It is notable in the article that they mention the death of his friends.
I wonder if he had more friends his age if he would like to live longer?
05-02-2018 11:42 AM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

(03-12-2018 12:06 AM)Bull_Is_Back Wrote:  
(03-08-2018 08:23 PM)Lush Wrote:  what's yer exit strategy?

He's never going to own anything and stop eating in his mid 30's when the 15-20 year olds of the world can run from a bear faster than he can...

Historically, the young man never had to **** with the old man.
05-02-2018 12:20 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

(03-12-2018 12:06 AM)Bull_Is_Back Wrote:  
(03-07-2018 11:30 AM)Dasville Wrote:  I would submit to you that "ownership" played a large role in the development of "longevity".

Begging the question a bit, aren't we?

I would submit to you that "horse manure" played a large role in the development of "your argument"

Quote:Once someone wasn't faster than the next guy when the bear came running he/she had to figure out a way to not get eaten.

Maybe by convincing the faster guy "hey, we can work together and neither gets eaten.... Maybe I can watch your kids / protect the camp so you can hunt and know your offspring is safe and there will be a warm fire for you when you're done.

Land used to be worth more than $.
Now, the American dream is 1/4 an acre.
05-02-2018 01:00 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

75 yrs old is max regarding leading the nation. President Trump needs to go. Experience is only valuable if we are dealing with the same problems. So after leadership capability is gone, what is the value? Why seek longevity?
05-02-2018 04:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.