Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

W&M
Bookmark and Share
NUGUY Online
1st String

I Root For: nu
W&M
Okay. We got second seed. Way better than expected. (Who knew we would find another TJ?) Meanwhile, Anthony and Tomas are getting better with every game.

Pucica getting into foul trouble is my biggest fear. When he goes out we are not the same team and when he stays in with foul trouble he's not the same player. On offense he can't drive to the basket and on defense he has to lay back.
02-17-2018 09:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

geewizNU Offline
All American

I Root For: Northeastern
RE: W&M
Nice play call by Coen to have Vasa take it to the basket. I knew this would be a close game.

IMO, I think Vasa sealed the POTY award.

Let’s end the home season with a win vs Towson.

Highlights...

https://youtu.be/hapa81w6Ymo

Coen postgame...

https://youtu.be/teXsSoYRnE8

Vasa Puscia postgame..

https://youtu.be/RHLD4QUXji4
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2018 02:21 AM by geewizNU.)
02-17-2018 11:53 PM
geewizNU Offline
All American

Boston Herald article on game ...

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/colle...lliam_mary
02-18-2018 02:20 AM
NUGUY Online
1st String

(02-17-2018 11:53 PM)geewizNU Wrote:  Nice play call by Coen to have Vasa take it to the basket. I knew this would be a close game.

Highlights...

Coen postgame...

Vasa Puscia postgame..

When is POY announced? Before or after the tournament?
02-18-2018 09:52 AM
geewizNU Offline
All American

(02-18-2018 09:52 AM)NUGUY Wrote:  
(02-17-2018 11:53 PM)geewizNU Wrote:  Nice play call by Coen to have Vasa take it to the basket. I knew this would be a close game.

Highlights...

Coen postgame...

Vasa Puscia postgame..

When is POY announced? Before or after the tournament?

A few days before the tourney.
02-18-2018 10:41 AM
SomebodyToLove Offline
Special Teams

I was only able to watch part of the game. Based on what I saw we were making bad decisions and playing a bit sloppy. A win is a win, but we need to play better to have a chance in the tournament.

I really hope Coen plays the bench more these last two games. We are pretty much locked into a 2 seed, and giving Vasa and company a rest should help. I'm not saying we play these like exhibition games, but I think a little rest would help
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2018 10:44 AM by SomebodyToLove.)
02-18-2018 10:43 AM
Advertisement

EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
(02-17-2018 11:53 PM)geewizNU Wrote:  IMO, I think Vasa sealed the POTY award.
I won't be mad if Vasa gets it over Wright-Foreman, but I don't see how Vasa has sealed it. A regular season title might help him. I don't know if voters would favor a player on the 2 seed over a player on the 3 or 4 seed as much as they would favor a player on the 1 seed over anybody else.
02-19-2018 01:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
Both were absolutely great against W&M both times. My best guess is that the candidates for POY are JWF, Pusica, Riller, or Chealey. I cannot see someone whose team finishes below 5th getting a shot. If I had a vote today, JWF would probably get it. But, no one impressed me more than Riller all year.
02-19-2018 02:00 PM
swampcougar1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: CofC
I know historically awards heavily biased towards scoring. I have always disagreed with that but does not matter what I think. My vote would be Cacock. Even with the scoring bias how can they ignore he is the nations leading rebounder.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2018 05:59 PM by swampcougar1.)
02-19-2018 05:57 PM
geewizNU Offline
All American

(02-19-2018 01:37 PM)EvanJ Wrote:  
I won't be mad if Vasa gets it over Wright-Foreman, but I don't see how Vasa has sealed it. A regular season title might help him. I don't know if voters would favor a player on the 2 seed over a player on the 3 or 4 seed as much as they would favor a player on the 1 seed over anybody else.

Vasa is a point guard. JWF is not.

Vasa is a floor leader for the second best team so far in the league ranked 12th in the league RPI.

NU’s two POTY winners (Jose Juan Barea and TJ Williams) were point guards who can score.

Cacok not a POTY for a team that might not win 10 games. Gustys of Hoffy is among the NCAA leaders in boards, he’s not a POTY winner.
02-19-2018 08:54 PM
SomebodyToLove Offline
Special Teams

(02-17-2018 09:45 PM)NUGUY Wrote:  Okay. We got second seed. Way better than expected. (Who knew we would find another TJ?) Meanwhile, Anthony and Tomas are getting better with every game.

Pucica getting into foul trouble is my biggest fear. When he goes out we are not the same team and when he stays in with foul trouble he's not the same player. On offense he can't drive to the basket and on defense he has to lay back.

Technically I don't think we have 2nd seed, but it's like 99% at this point. If we lose both and Hofstra wins both there is one CAA scenario in which we could end up 3rd due to tiebreak. But that takes nothing away from your point with which I agree.
02-20-2018 02:01 AM
Advertisement

NUGUY Online
1st String

(02-20-2018 02:01 AM)SomebodyToLove Wrote:  
(02-17-2018 09:45 PM)NUGUY Wrote:  Okay. We got second seed. Way better than expected. (Who knew we would find another TJ?) Meanwhile, Anthony and Tomas are getting better with every game.

Technically I don't think we have 2nd seed, but it's like 99% at this point. If we lose both and Hofstra wins both there is one CAA scenario in which we could end up 3rd due to tiebreak. But that takes nothing away from your point with which I agree.

I heard from a couple of sources, one of which was an announcer of the W&M game, that we could finish no lower than second with a win. On the other hand, I knew that it was possible to tie with Hofstra but we split with them in the regular season. I just assumed that the announcer knew what the next tiebreakers were. Maybe he didn't.
02-20-2018 12:40 PM
NUGUY Online
1st String

Just gave myself a headache trying to figure out the tiebreakers based on past explanations of what would happen. It LOOKS to me like if two tied teams split against each other during the regular season the next step is to see how they did against other ranked teams. First, against C of C we both lost twice. W & M is next best. We swept them and Hofstra split. Final standings might change, though. So if Towson finishes above W&M AND if Hofstra beats them but we don't this week then Hofstra would win the tiebreaker over us if we lose both of our remaining games and Hofstra wins both of their remaining games.

Warning: This could be 100% wrong.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2018 01:24 PM by NUGUY.)
02-20-2018 01:20 PM
SomebodyToLove Offline
Special Teams

(02-20-2018 01:20 PM)NUGUY Wrote:  Just gave myself a headache trying to figure out the tiebreakers based on past explanations of what would happen. It LOOKS to me like if two tied teams split against each other during the regular season the next step is to see how they did against other ranked teams. First, against C of C we both lost twice. W & M is next best. We swept them and Hofstra split. Final standings might change, though. So if Towson finishes above W&M AND if Hofstra beats them but we don't this week then Hofstra would win the tiebreaker over us if we lose both of our remaining games and Hofstra wins both of their remaining games.

Warning: This could be 100% wrong.

Yeah, that's pretty much the gist of it. I made a post in the General forum standings page about tricky tiebreaker scenarios.
02-20-2018 04:29 PM
geewizNU Offline
All American

Just win the last two games and you don’t have to fret about it.

Lose one and then revisit.
02-20-2018 06:17 PM
NUGUY Online
1st String

(02-20-2018 06:17 PM)geewizNU Wrote:  Just win the last two games and you don’t have to fret about it.

Lose one and then revisit.

Not really all that worried. The odds of all six games going the wrong way are something like 1.5%.
02-20-2018 07:33 PM
Advertisement

EvanJ Offline
1st String

(02-19-2018 08:54 PM)geewizNU Wrote:  
Hofstra wanted Kenny Wormley to be their point guard, but he lost his starting spot and averages 15.3 minutes. Desure Buie, who averages a little more assists than JWF, averages 21.1 minutes. JWF is on the court for long enough when Buie and Wormley aren't that if JWF is not a point guard, Hofstra plays without a point guard some of the time. Some teams have one point guard with way more assists than any of his teammates like Vasa, and some teams have players close in assists. JWF averages more assists than anybody on Delaware, Towson, or JMU. Is there an amount of assists that guarantees that a player is a point guard in your opinion?
02-22-2018 09:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
geewizNU Offline
All American

(02-22-2018 09:53 AM)EvanJ Wrote:  
Hofstra wanted Kenny Wormley to be their point guard, but he lost his starting spot and averages 15.3 minutes. Desure Buie, who averages a little more assists than JWF, averages 21.1 minutes. JWF is on the court for long enough when Buie and Wormley aren't that if JWF is not a point guard, Hofstra plays without a point guard some of the time. Some teams have one point guard with way more assists than any of his teammates like Vasa, and some teams have players close in assists. JWF averages more assists than anybody on Delaware, Towson, or JMU. Is there an amount of assists that guarantees that a player is a point guard in your opinion?

Assists have nothing to do with playing the point. Is it important? Yes.

But ultimately it comes down to running an offense, getting the ball to shooters at their best spots on the floor and feeding your bigs in spots where they can get a high percentage shot.

He also needs to be able to knock down shots at critical points of the game.

Notice how Gustys offensively hasn’t been nearly as good his last 3 years since your PG Green graduated. It’s no coincidence.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2018 10:30 AM by geewizNU.)
02-22-2018 10:29 AM
NUGUY Online
1st String

(02-22-2018 10:29 AM)geewizNU Wrote:  
(02-22-2018 09:53 AM)EvanJ Wrote:  

Assists have nothing to do with playing the point. Is it important? Yes.

But ultimately it comes down to running an offense, getting the ball to shooters at their best spots on the floor and feeding your bigs in spots where they can get a high percentage shot.

He also needs to be able to knock down shots at critical points of the game.

Notice how Gustys offensively hasn’t been nearly as good his last 3 years since your PG Green graduated. It’s no coincidence.

Not going to weigh in on the POY thing...but Wiz...you're right about the intangibles that Vasa brings. He makes everyone around him a better player. Green was going nowhere until Vasa arrived. No one even threw him the ball. Now he's getting alley oops and pick and rolls all the time. Players know that there is a reward for filling the lane. I've only seen Hofstra twice but I've seen their posters say that too often the other four players on their team stand around and watch JWF. Vasa is also a teacher. You see him all the time coaching on the floor and when he does the other players pay attention.
02-22-2018 03:02 PM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

(02-22-2018 10:29 AM)geewizNU Wrote:  Notice how Gustys offensively hasn’t been nearly as good his last 3 years since your PG Green graduated. It’s no coincidence.
JWF isn't as good a PG as Green at passing, but that doesn't mean JWF isn't a PG. As a freshman with Green on the team, Gustys averaged 5.2 points, 3.8 field goal attempts, and 16.5 minutes. His best season was as a sophomore. He's doing better this season with JWF and Buie as PGs than last season with Deron Powers as the PG.
02-24-2018 08:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.